Super Eurobeat 221 (News in page 1!)

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 08 Jun 2012, 01:48

the_ditz wrote:EDIT: I've discovered that this song was released on a compilation called EuroEnergy vol. 2 on Amazon and iTunes (although it doesn't seem to be available for purchase in Amazon now). The publishing label in iTunes shows as "Def" - any ideas??
Long story short on the Euroenergy Comps; the person that released them did so without going through the rights. They are original A-Beat C and Double (SCP) tracks that either weren't accepted by Avex Trax, promo tracks for future releases (like Fox On The Run), or tracks that were experimental. Despite how awesome they are, a lot of writers and producers involved in the making of the songs are actually rather upset about the topic of these albums because they weren't supposed to be released at all or the writers and producers haven't received a cut of the profits. This most likely is the reason they're no longer on Amazon.
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 08 Jun 2012, 06:19

Seems to be happening more and more nowadays, which is the downside of having the avex "dictatorship" - if more labels had been free to release their own compilations when avex turned down their tracks, it would avoid the problem of having people with access to them tempted to make a quick buck...

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 09 Jun 2012, 20:12

Why doesn't Avex go to an all-continuously mixed format for the SEB albums, and let the artists release the full-length versions of the tracks on their own labels like other electronic dance music genres do?

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 09 Jun 2012, 21:25

Bonkers wrote:Why doesn't Avex go to an all-continuously mixed format for the SEB albums, and let the artists release the full-length versions of the tracks on their own labels like other electronic dance music genres do?
No. Just, no.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 10 Jun 2012, 09:16

Bonkers
Why doesn't Avex go to an all-continuously mixed format for the SEB albums
Worst idea ever.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 10 Jun 2012, 12:57

hehe, told ya Bonkers, a lot of people around here don't like non-stops.

I think it would be great if they released SEB with 30 mixed tracks every few months and offered all the tracks in extended digital online. The extended album would offer a great platform to showcase the tracks, and the liberty of buying the extended of their favorite tracks would be to the collectors.

I feel like 5-6 minute version of EB tracks are overkill, especially if the song has a high bpm. SCP has it about right with their 4 min extendeds.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 10 Jun 2012, 18:30

Bonkers wrote:Why doesn't Avex go to an all-continuously mixed format for the SEB albums, and let the artists release the full-length versions of the tracks on their own labels like other electronic dance music genres do?
Let me begin by saying I seriously like nonstops. Then again, my taste in contrast to this forum is dubious at best, so take it with a grain of salt. (For the record, I also enjoy really long Extended songs, too!)

With that out of the way, this wouldn't work for a couple reasons:

1) SEB is sort of the labels' biggest source of publicity. Most people access the tracks we know and love through SEB as a point of reference, from what I know. Avex would have very little incentive to only release what amounts to short snippets of songs and then send the consumer in some direction (for some, a full on goose chase!) to find the full version... when avex can release that version directly and take a chunk of that publishing money. It's just good business sense for them to release the whole thing if it nets them more money (which it often does, see next point). I agree that labels should be ABLE to self-publish those same tracks as well, but that shouldn't be the ONLY source of extendeds.
2) Longer, individual songs are more bang for the buck. Yeah, it sounds silly, but when folks pay their 99¢ or ¥1500 for a Super Eurobeat track on iTunes Japan (or wherever), they're USUALLY doing so for a coherent whole of a song. If they want nonstops, they'd buy the full nonstop, right? But without the option of having a few whole songs, people will be less inclined to "cherry pick", instead opting out entirely (or, if they REALLY want the track, they'd do the "buy album" option, but this is only very common with larger more popular genres.)

There are more reasons, but they'd open the discussion up further than this thread calls for. I've got nothing against nonstops, as long as they don't intrude upon the release of extendeds.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 11 Jun 2012, 06:12

zoupzuop2 wrote: 1) SEB is sort of the labels' biggest source of publicity. Most people access the tracks we know and love through SEB as a point of reference, from what I know. Avex would have very little incentive to only release what amounts to short snippets of songs and then send the consumer in some direction (for some, a full on goose chase!) to find the full version... when avex can release that version directly and take a chunk of that publishing money. It's just good business sense for them to release the whole thing if it nets them more money (which it often does, see next point). I agree that labels should be ABLE to self-publish those same tracks as well, but that shouldn't be the ONLY source of extendeds.
That's just not the way it works Travis, it's the territory stuff within contract that's the main problem and the acception/rejection rules. It's not as easy as it might look like.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 11 Jun 2012, 07:23

MAtRiCks
hehe, told ya Bonkers, a lot of people around here don't like non-stops.
It's not that I don't like Nonstops. Half the reason I bought Eurobeat vinyls for years was to create my own nonstop mixes. It's more what Travis said. It would be Euromach and Europanic all over gain. You know how many years it took me to complete my extended collection versions off those two series?

I do; however, strongly feel that all Italo/Hi Nrg/Eurobeat songs should only exist on extended formatt. Otherwise they feel too short and incomplete. So, that's pretty much were I stand.

Danko
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Danko » 11 Jun 2012, 12:33

drnrg wrote: Otherwise they feel too short and incomplete. So, that's pretty much were I stand.
I agree drnrg! I am Extended collector and like drnrg says it feels incomplete if it's not Extended :)

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 11 Jun 2012, 14:36

Non-stops devide the audience, so they need to be kept to a minimum in a traditionally mostly full lenght compilation.

Best format for such cd's is *RADIO* with 15-18 tracks, it's very accesable and perfect for any selective marketing, promos and radioplay.
Extended is second best for SEB cd's, since radioplay is limited for extendeds, + they take longer to download in digital form.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 11 Jun 2012, 17:29

Vadim wrote:Non-stops devide the audience, so they need to be kept to a minimum in a traditionally mostly full lenght compilation.

Best format for such cd's is *RADIO* with 15-18 tracks, it's very accesable and perfect for any selective marketing, promos and radioplay.
Extended is second best for SEB cd's, since radioplay is limited for extendeds, + they take longer to download in digital form.
I, myself, really enjoyed the radio edit format. Felt like you were really getting your money's worth. As well, 3:45-4:30 minutes is the perfect amount of time to listen to a song. Some of the extends go way past 6 minutes and I lose interest real quickly.

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 11 Jun 2012, 17:47

I think that some extendeds are too long and get really repetitive, but I much prefer them to nonstops. The stutter and grinding effects in a lot of nonstop songs give me a headache and I hate it when a slower song gets sped up and pitched higher at the same time.

It is possible to speed up a song without chipmunking it, I don't know why they never do.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 11 Jun 2012, 18:15

Wow, really? Are we back to this topic of conversation again? Well, it has been a few months since the last thread that featured it, so I guess it was overdue... :???: :P

Whatever format it comes in, I just want some new material!! I feel like my musical taste is wandering with such a big gap between the new stuff being released... my Eurobeat hunger needs fed right now or I'm going to start devouring other genres soon :D

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 11 Jun 2012, 18:58

the_ditz wrote:Wow, really? Are we back to this topic of conversation again? Well, it has been a few months since the last thread that featured it, so I guess it was overdue... :???: :P

Whatever format it comes in, I just want some new material!! I feel like my musical taste is wandering with such a big gap between the new stuff being released... my Eurobeat hunger needs fed right now or I'm going to start devouring other genres soon :D
I was just about to say the same, then noticed your reply. So just quoting and bumping the same idea.

We've been through this more than once so no need to go down that same alley over and over again. Let it just cool off, we have different opinions and they aren't going to change obviously.