Super Eurobeat 221 (News in page 1!)

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 11 Mar 2013, 21:09

Thanks for the word "padding", I think it's a great word. For me, padding is important because it's where they can show more originality than a simple "into->riff->verse1->bridge->chorus->riff->verse2->bridge->chorus->riff->30sec.break->chorus->riff->end". When listening to Eurobeat, when the song is short, I always feel there's something missing and that's where the "padding" comes into play. I was listening to the extended version of "I'm OK" by Dana in my car just about half an hour ago and, I've listened to the extra bits that the edit didn't bring. I said to myself, "MAN! That's what I'm looking into Eurobeat". 5-5½min is what I'm looking for for an extended.

The padding is also where you can warp or change the melody a bit. A simple break shows lack of effort. They might sound complete for some, but not for me. The extra bit of different sounds and arrangement an edit cannot provide is what makes a song shine even more than in an edit form.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 11 Mar 2013, 22:05

I understand everyone's points here, but the use of the word edit all of the time is moot until we know for sure that there are actually extended versions. I'm going to make it my sole aim over the next few days to find out whether the song that we hear on SEB is the whole song or not, since it might actually mean that people could perhaps enjoy the songs for what they are rather than longing for some fabled longer version that perhaps doesn't even exist!

eXtaticus
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by eXtaticus » 12 Mar 2013, 00:08

-redacted-
Last edited by eXtaticus on 19 Dec 2017, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 12 Mar 2013, 01:08

eXtaticus wrote:Basically, we need to ascertain whether the process of making a eurobeat track goes like this:

Make Radio-Size Song >>> Elongate for extended version

or this:

Make Longer Song >>> Condense into radio edit

Because I'm almost certain that there are two different methodologies at work here.
Yes, you have the right idea of my point. SCP in the past may have made extended versions and then edited these for Super Eurobeat, but that's not to say that they follow the same process now. Hence the reason I'm trying to contact them. ;)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 12 Mar 2013, 10:19

the_ditz
This is exactly how I feel. For me, the SCP songs (once again, you cannot say that the tracks that feature on SEB are "SEB edits" until we speak with the production team and they confirm the existence of extended versions) generally always sound well-rounded and complete without the need for any padding etc. Of course, if the extended hides a sick guitar solo or new verses, then I'd be perfectly happy to discover them. I just think it's wrong for people to discount or mark-down the songs simply based on their duration
There are actually a few songs featured on SEB with the words SEB edit; which leads me to believe that there is in fact a real extended collecting dust somwhere in the studio.

Just off the back; one of those is Samurai Blue. Another one is Bigga Boom, but then again a few of them like Ace- Me & You and Momo- One heart & One Soul run a modest extended limit and carry the same (SEB vers.) tag, so it all kinda confusing?

It could be that AVEX doesnt let them release the extendeds. Whatever, I hope you do get through and shed some light on this subject soon.

Jay
Unfortunately, many labels (read: not all labels) don't have a clue about what to do with a 5-6 minute extended anymore than to drag it out. Take HRG, for example. HRG's extendeds were far more varied back in the day, but just about every extended of theirs from the 170s onwards have been cut-and-paste jobs.
I'm not gonna disagree with you there. Most of thier extended leave a lot to be desired, but thier songs; with thier cut and paste breaks, make for great vinyl mixing . Infact, during that period of 170's that you speak of; HRG pretty much just produced SEB edits. Alot of those song are the same TIME limit on Juno extendeds, but they always featured a nice mini break with just instruments and Italo/Hi NRG/Eurobeat is traditionaly known for that.

jay
That isn't what an extended should be for though. If all you care about is the hook factor and not having to loop it back to the beginning, you might as well just download Audacity and make a 3-4 hour eurobeat song by copy-and-pasting its structure over and over. Not hard
Audacity can actually provide you with some usefull tools to make an intersting extended out of an SEB edit. Not just cut and paste. I've done quite a few (for personal pleausre), I even sent a few to Dall Ora, like Toby Vale- Heartbreaker 2007 and he loved it :D I also did a few mixes for DELTA myspace page and they turned out pretty decent.

Anyway the last real great extended that I heard is still Hotblade- Disconnected (SCP)

..and you are right. AnyTIME after the 2000s; DELTA, was KING of Extendeds and yes it's all about Newfield's presence. That's why TIME's extended and many other Italo NRG labels he remixed for during late b80's and early 90's were so epic.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 12 Mar 2013, 19:54

drnrg wrote:There are actually a few songs featured on SEB with the words SEB edit; which leads me to believe that there is in fact a real extended collecting dust somwhere in the studio.
Yes, they did that previously, but not now (they use the Power Mix tag sometimes, or nothing at all). That's another reason why I believe that the songs they are producing and releasing now are in their complete form on SEB. But I'm not going to comment any more on it as even I'm getting bored of my own voice :(