Super Eurobeat 221 (News in page 1!)

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 04 Apr 2012, 02:13

I remember in the late 90s and early 2000s when you could hear trance on mainstream radio (i.e. "Sandstorm", "Heaven", and "It's A Fine Day"), but then we had rock and rap come back in. I'm actually glad I can hear electro/dance on Top 40 nowadays. It at least gives me faith that electronic music, of any kind, gets attention. I know people may hate this, but I feel it is survival mode for electronic music even if it is not a genre I listen to all the time like Hyper Techno or Eurobeat.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 04 Apr 2012, 03:32

I know this is completely trivial, but I love how we're already on page 10 of this thread, and yet we still don't have any official information about this album aside from a few minor speculations.
ImageImage

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 04 Apr 2012, 05:39

para_rigby wrote: I know people may hate this, but I feel it is survival mode for electronic music even if it is not a genre I listen to all the time like Hyper Techno or Eurobeat.
it's all about marketing~ Dance music isn't well marketed these days really, especially on TV and in print media.

coco*tapioka
Euro To B

Post by coco*tapioka » 04 Apr 2012, 10:40

What if they're waiting for next year so they can start from scratch again? :???:

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 04 Apr 2012, 15:45

coco*tapioka wrote:What if they're waiting for next year so they can start from scratch again? :???:
I just hope not!
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 04 Apr 2012, 18:03

Tiger wrote:
para_rigby wrote: I know people may hate this, but I feel it is survival mode for electronic music even if it is not a genre I listen to all the time like Hyper Techno or Eurobeat.
it's all about marketing~ Dance music isn't well marketed these days really, especially on TV and in print media.
You think so? I'd say it's the opposite. Mainstream pop has been increasingly influenced by dance/electronic genres since 2009. Granted, eurobeat is certainly not the same type of music as something by LMFAO or Lady Gaga, but the notion that dance music is in decline or poorly marketed these days is totally false, as far as I'm concerned.
ImageImage

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 04 Apr 2012, 19:55

#Infinity wrote:
Tiger wrote:
You think so? I'd say it's the opposite. Mainstream pop has been increasingly influenced by dance/electronic genres since 2009. Granted, eurobeat is certainly not the same type of music as something by LMFAO or Lady Gaga, but the notion that dance music is in decline or poorly marketed these days is totally false, as far as I'm concerned.
But we mustn't blur the lines between pop and dance music either. Sure, mainstream pop is invariably linked to dance music trends and sounds nowadays - every 2nd song on the radio more or less has a thumping 4/4/ kick drum or a rich saw synth backing it up - but there are a multitude of dance genres out there that don't receive any mainstream attention. Now, I'm sure that the die-hard fans of these genres may think that's for the best, and you only have to look at Dubstep and the more "commercial" Euro-trance acts from a decade ago (Cascada et al) for proof of how fast commercial notoriety can expire in the fickle world of mainstream music, but the fact remains that the mainstream pop of today is not dance music - use the phrase "dance-pop" if you will, but in a few years time when the head decision makers decide that the whole club sound thing has had its day, they'll take over another style and spew that out incessantly for years. I enjoy the pop music of today because of its energy and flashes of dance styles that I've loved all my life, but the true dance acts (of whatever genre) are those who don't abandon the style when the trends change. Evolution is inevitable, but the soul and roots of the genre is key, and I still feel certain that Eurobeat will continue in this vein since the writers and producers have the love and passion for the genre itself before everything else.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 05 Apr 2012, 00:49

the_ditz wrote:But we mustn't blur the lines between pop and dance music either. Sure, mainstream pop is invariably linked to dance music trends and sounds nowadays - every 2nd song on the radio more or less has a thumping 4/4/ kick drum or a rich saw synth backing it up - but there are a multitude of dance genres out there that don't receive any mainstream attention. Now, I'm sure that the die-hard fans of these genres may think that's for the best, and you only have to look at Dubstep and the more "commercial" Euro-trance acts from a decade ago (Cascada et al) for proof of how fast commercial notoriety can expire in the fickle world of mainstream music, but the fact remains that the mainstream pop of today is not dance music - use the phrase "dance-pop" if you will, but in a few years time when the head decision makers decide that the whole club sound thing has had its day, they'll take over another style and spew that out incessantly for years. I enjoy the pop music of today because of its energy and flashes of dance styles that I've loved all my life, but the true dance acts (of whatever genre) are those who don't abandon the style when the trends change. Evolution is inevitable, but the soul and roots of the genre is key, and I still feel certain that Eurobeat will continue in this vein since the writers and producers have the love and passion for the genre itself before everything else.
Frankly, that's probably pretty much exactly why eurobeat has declined in popularity so much in the past decade. After having evolved from it's italo roots from the 80's and early 90's, it sort of hit its peak as a novelty genre around the late 90's and early 2000's. Since then, it hasn't stylistically changed a whole lot, so it's no surprise that most of its old fans have presumably moved on to newer things.

My point was really more aimed at dance music in general, although there's really way too much diversity under such an umbrella term to make a whole connection. Pop music like LMFAO is definitely not the same as core electronic music, but the fact that commercial pop draws so many electro/house influences these days, to me at leasts, suggests that electronic music in general has gotten more attention as of late.
ImageImage

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 05 Apr 2012, 04:20

Bonkers
My issue with American music is that it is so contradictory. In the 90s, America tried its hardest to block out anything electronic dance related on the air waves while hip hop, rap, boy bands/pop and country music dominated. Now, all you hear is the crappy dance pop music loaded with electro house elements, and everyone thinks its the highest quality of dance music.
I'm glad you brought this up. You are 100% right. Not only in the 90's, but late 70's Disco was getting the axe all over the airwaves. You couldn't even say the word disco wothout being looked upon as a freak. I wasn't of age when that happened,but I was around to se the skyrocketing of Rock oriented music. Now it seems the same is happening to rock. The only difference is that today's dance genre is so easy to creat that any plain joe can have a top 40 hit.

At least Eurobeat has an element that it can call its own. "The Synth riff" That's what makes Eurobeat/Hi NRG/Italo stand above all the other "dance" genres. BTW, if anyone ever wondered what Dance would sound like when its 100% popular in the world. Now you have. Rihanna, Pitbull and LMFAO. What a joke! :D

[/quote]

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 05 Apr 2012, 06:30

para_rigby wrote:I remember in the late 90s and early 2000s when you could hear trance on mainstream radio (i.e. "Sandstorm", "Heaven", and "It's A Fine Day"),
NOSTALGIA BOMB!

I used to play Sandstorm all the fucking time. ALL THE TIME. ALL THE TIME.

I still listen to it and it's still fresh.

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 05 Apr 2012, 09:13

true story, bro.

I also pretty much listen to HYPER TECHNO, and Eurobeat a lot.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 05 Apr 2012, 12:57

Wataru Akiyama wrote:
true story, bro.

I also pretty much listen to HYPER TECHNO, and Eurobeat a lot.
Haha. I'm sure some people here would equate Hyper Techno as some generic hard dance, house, etc. I did not much care for the genre in the beginning, but some I can hear some elements of eurobeat in it (synth lines--although not as complex, maybe, are there--and we cannot forget how many vocalists from eurobeat have done vocals (Ennio and Elena Gobbi come to mind).

Akira
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Akira » 05 Apr 2012, 15:24

para_rigby wrote:Haha. I'm sure some people here would equate Hyper Techno as some generic hard dance, house, etc. I did not much care for the genre in the beginning, but some I can hear some elements of eurobeat in it (synth lines--although not as complex, maybe, are there--and we cannot forget how many vocalists from eurobeat have done vocals (Ennio and Elena Gobbi come to mind).
Isn't Elena Gobbi Virginelle / Lolita? I didn't know she did vocals for any techno song. I guess it's old techno, because I usually listen to "new" techno (with "new" I mean from WLTP on).

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 05 Apr 2012, 17:38

Akira wrote:
para_rigby wrote:Haha. I'm sure some people here would equate Hyper Techno as some generic hard dance, house, etc. I did not much care for the genre in the beginning, but some I can hear some elements of eurobeat in it (synth lines--although not as complex, maybe, are there--and we cannot forget how many vocalists from eurobeat have done vocals (Ennio and Elena Gobbi come to mind).
Isn't Elena Gobbi Virginelle / Lolita? I didn't know she did vocals for any techno song. I guess it's old techno, because I usually listen to "new" techno (with "new" I mean from WLTP on).
Karen = Zowie in I'm In Love, I Wanna Dance etc.
Domino is in 94 Sale (Success, Cosmic Generation etc)
Marlene = Lolita in Come On Move It and She's Got The Power and maybe some other songs
Annerley Gordon = Juicy in WLTP songs, SOS, Don't You Leave Me Standing etc.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 05 Apr 2012, 19:58

Tiger wrote:
Akira wrote:
Karen = Zowie in I'm In Love, I Wanna Dance etc.
Domino is in 94 Sale (Success, Cosmic Generation etc)
Marlene = Lolita in Come On Move It and She's Got The Power and maybe some other songs
Annerley Gordon = Juicy in WLTP songs, SOS, Don't You Leave Me Standing etc.
Mickey B.= The Movie
Annerley & Gobbi= The Cave Gang
Fastway= Blue Scorpion, Rok-Matic, Mr. Fang, Cypher, Dark Evil
Irene= Violet, Zexy, Cypher (?), Tanith
Stefy Martini= Stefy, Techno Venus
Roberta Grana= female vocals in newer Sinclaire techno songs
Clara Moroni= female vocals on older Sinclaire techno songs
Pamsy= Rok-Matic
Powerful T.= Black Opera (?)

and yes, Karen is both "Karen" and "Zowie" in her house/hyper techno tracks.