Super Eurobeat 221 (News in page 1!)

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 20 Feb 2013, 20:29

thejti wrote:
para_rigby wrote:Check out the poll area to vote for the best track!
Where?
The poll wars sub forum.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 26 Feb 2013, 01:57

I was just looking at cheeseman's Eurobeat Catalogue last night, did you guys know that Wacky-Wacky-O! was only the second song that Linda Ongarelli recorded at SCP? It was produced directly after Let's Fly Together, which means it's already it six years old, similar to Super Driver. I still hadn't finished middle school during the time it was made!

Coming to think about it, I'm a little worried SCP could be headed down a downward spiral this decade. Not including SEB 4 U, which was penned by A-Beat C writers anyway, none of the label's new songs on SEB 221 impressed me that much. Different Girl, Kiss, and Hyper Super Powers are all terribly uninspired melodically and only modestly succeed because of their robust production. In stark contrast, Wacky-Wacky-O! not only progresses with far better direction and flow than the above tracks, it takes experimental liberties and ends up being one of SCP's most creative and certainly unique productions ever.

So what happened to SCP's bustling inspiration here? If you people really think their tracks on SEB 221 are that great, just compare them to some of the other material the label was churning out around the time Wacky-Wacky-O! was made. Do you actually think Different Girl, with its dull tune and disjointed phrasing, can compete with the likes of Wanna Be With You, Walkin' in the Shadow, or Switch!? How about Kiss? Again, its melody is repetitive and unambitious, such that the rambunctious production is possibly the only thing notable it can offer. It simply falls flat when you try to liken it to Futureland or Let's Fly Together. Finally, let's consider Hyper Super Powers. Honestly, Fastway hasn't released a truly great song of his own since Love Countdown. As some people here have pointed out, HSP suffers from a raucous, poorly-crafted melody and a hyper techno-esque synthline. Remember when Ennio came out with masterpieces like Shock Out, Rockin' Hardcore, and The Lovebite? Looking at a track like this, it's pretty sad how much he's fallen from grace.

Based on the discussion here, as well as the poll results, I doubt most people are going to agree with my statement here, but just looking back at where SCP was back when I first got into eurobeat and what's become of it now, I think it's worth considering the past to evaluate the present. Frankly, if these songs came out in 2007, I'd imagine they would be ridiculed as some of SCP's worst tracks ever made. I know that sounds harsh, but frankly, the label was consistently excellent from the time it was founded all the way up to about 2009. Now, it's just good, not great. Right now, the only label that's in a truly superior state compared to where it was before before in my opinion is SinclaireStyle.
ImageImage

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 26 Feb 2013, 02:36

#Infinity wrote:I was just looking at cheeseman's Eurobeat Catalogue last night, did you guys know that Wacky-Wacky-O! was only the second song that Linda Ongarelli recorded at SCP? It was produced directly after Let's Fly Together, which means it's already it six years old, similar to Super Driver. I still hadn't finished middle school during the time it was made!

Coming to think about it, I'm a little worried SCP could be headed down a downward spiral this decade. Not including SEB 4 U, which was penned by A-Beat C writers anyway, none of the label's new songs on SEB 221 impressed me that much. Different Girl, Kiss, and Hyper Super Powers are all terribly uninspired melodically and only modestly succeed because of their robust production. In stark contrast, Wacky-Wacky-O! not only progresses with far better direction and flow than the above tracks, it takes experimental liberties and ends up being one of SCP's most creative and certainly unique productions ever.

So what happened to SCP's bustling inspiration here? If you people really think their tracks on SEB 221 are that great, just compare them to some of the other material the label was churning out around the time Wacky-Wacky-O! was made. Do you actually think Different Girl, with its dull tune and disjointed phrasing, can compete with the likes of Wanna Be With You, Walkin' in the Shadow, or Switch!? How about Kiss? Again, its melody is repetitive and unambitious, such that the rambunctious production is possibly the only thing notable it can offer. It simply falls flat when you try to liken it to Futureland or Let's Fly Together. Finally, let's consider Hyper Super Powers. Honestly, Fastway hasn't released a truly great song of his own since Love Countdown. As some people here have pointed out, HSP suffers from a raucous, poorly-crafted melody and a hyper techno-esque synthline. Remember when Ennio came out with masterpieces like Shock Out, Rockin' Hardcore, and The Lovebite? Looking at a track like this, it's pretty sad how much he's fallen from grace.

Based on the discussion here, as well as the poll results, I doubt most people are going to agree with my statement here, but just looking back at where SCP was back when I first got into eurobeat and what's become of it now, I think it's worth considering the past to evaluate the present. Frankly, if these songs came out in 2007, I'd imagine they would be ridiculed as some of SCP's worst tracks ever made. I know that sounds harsh, but frankly, the label was consistently excellent from the time it was founded all the way up to about 2009. Now, it's just good, not great. Right now, the only label that's in a truly superior state compared to where it was before before in my opinion is SinclaireStyle.
Interesting opinion here...I cannot say I've ever heard a bad SCP track, to be honest. Some may be slightly uninspired, but they are still much better than the majority of tracks coming out these days. As for SS, the one thing that really irks me are some of the speedy male tracks that don't give me that "wow" factor (1.2.3.4. Fire! is one of the best SS tracks to date though). SS shines with Roberta's vocals, I believe.

Some SCP tracks post-SEB 200 that stood out for me:
Power of My Love/ Yo Shine
Hanky Panky/ Bubbles
I Won't Fall Apart/ Jager
Little Little Star/ Jay Lehr
Bigga Boom/ Christine
Boom Boom Scream/ Domino & Scream Team
What D'You Want from Me/ Jager
Power Two/ Hotblade
Dancin' Together/ Christine
Disconnected/ Hotblade
Up & Dance, Up & Go/ Lou Master
Every Heart Wanna Fly/ Irene
Crazy on Emotion/ Ace

That's a pretty decent list...at least half of their productions were pretty damn great from 201-218. I'll take that. Those song looped through more than most other studio's songs.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 26 Feb 2013, 02:52

I'll admit SCP was still one of the better labels throughout the 200's and 210's, but even then, they still paled in comparison to where they were during the Eurobeat Flash, Euromach, and SEB 140's-190's eras. Their new material on SEB 221 sadly appears to be another step down the spiral. They haven't fallen from grace nearly as much as Hi-NRG Attack has, but they're certainly on their way.
ImageImage

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 26 Feb 2013, 03:28

#Infinity wrote:I'll admit SCP was still one of the better labels throughout the 200's and 210's, but even then, they still paled in comparison to where they were during the Eurobeat Flash, Euromach, and SEB 140's-190's eras. Their new material on SEB 221 sadly appears to be another step down the spiral. They haven't fallen from grace nearly as much as Hi-NRG Attack has, but they're certainly on their way.
One of the biggest issues in general is how long these studios have been making music. At some point, their quality goes down. Time's old songs were awesome, but those last few years they went to crap. Maybe producers are getting tired. Does that make sense? Felt Sunfire/A Beat C suffered the same way.

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 26 Feb 2013, 05:57

I think the time one grew up with eurobeat is a large factor. To me, the best period of A beat C was 1990-1993. The label was fairly good roughly until Sinclaire left for Delta. To me they have been just average since then. Starting around SEB 110 they had their worst period, especially the 130s, which they never got over. Funny thing is that some people who started listening to eurobeat in the 130s feel that A beat C was best in the 130s. That's fine ofcourse, but I don't think it's only the producers getting tired. Fans can get tired at a certain point as well, or don't accept certain changes producers make.

I still think SCP was at its best with Lucya - Forever and Tomas Lee - Midnight.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 26 Feb 2013, 06:08

para_rigby wrote:One of the biggest issues in general is how long these studios have been making music. At some point, their quality goes down. Time's old songs were awesome, but those last few years they went to crap. Maybe producers are getting tired. Does that make sense? Felt Sunfire/A Beat C suffered the same way.
Yeah, that's quite a commonality with any musical act, especially when their declining popularity forces them to focus primarily on what they think works (or at least what their label thinks works), rather than creative inspiration. Clearly, Wacky-Wacky-O! was produced as an artistic risk, especially since it was recorded before Linda Ongarelli became SCP's most popular artist in Japan. Hyper Super Powers, on the other hand, probably got written under the simple notion that Fastway fans love anything loud and fast-paced.
ImageImage

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Post by UFOPOLI » 26 Feb 2013, 12:48

jeurobeat wrote:I think the time one grew up with eurobeat is a large factor.
I have no idea how to determine that factor for myself... I started seriously listening to eurobeat during the 160's, but I did it my systematically beginning simultaneously with the 00's and the 100's. I suppose that would make the 00-20's and 100-120's my "classic" periods...? My favorite decade, however, is the 180's. Go figure.
Every time I'm free
I realize that funny time will take me higher

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 26 Feb 2013, 13:47

I understand where #Infinity is coming from to a certain degree. For me, SCP was at its peak when Pamsy and Go2 ruled the roost. The overall production and sounds that came out of the label then were just ground-breaking for me and they really helped to peak my love of Eurobeat. I'm not saying that other eras of the SCP sound are inferior or poor, as I believe that their more recent productions (especially from Hotblade, Jager and Yo Shine/Irene) are also of a high-quality and have a good commercial appeal while still maintaining those Eurobeat roots.

The problem is that, as with many other sub-genres, you have to start greatly changing the structures and trademark sounds to avoid things becoming stagnant and generic, but it's tough when each Eurobeat label has such a unique identity and sound. The challenges for writers and producers are to try and create new tracks that have the trademark sound but that are also boundary-shifting in terms of lyrical or melodic content. I don't feel that SCP really managed to achieve that with this release (although Different Girl was a nice surprise with it's pop overtones) but I would be wary to jump to conclusions based on this one release. I'm sure that SCP will continue to evolve just as they have done each decade, and I look forward to see what the future holds for them. :)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 27 Feb 2013, 10:23

Maybe we should start an SCP thread. Antway, SCP has always been hit and miss for me. The best period was when they first showed up on Eurobeat Flash and on Euro mach. As j eurobeat stated; Thomas Lee- Midnight is one hell of a masterpiece, even though it only exisists in mix version. Dusty was another aewome title when it first showed up and who can forget Nick Mansel. Wasn't Tiger Shark(dima) also an SCP collab? Great song!

I started losing interst when they became to cutsie tootsie for me . Kika nad Kira , DJ goofy ect. I also wasn't too hot over Pamsy's style.., but now adays, I think SCP has actually found abit of inspiration. Jay Lehr is one big hit machine as well as Hotblade.

My only gripe with them is those terrible edits when they are supposed to be showcasing extended versions. I think those edits leave out much of the quality that thier songs could actuially have. I always recall how I went from meh to wow when I got my hands on both Lou Master and Hotblade extendeds. Same thing happened when I heard the Boom Boom Scream mega extended. SCP has potential; I just don't get the full effect with thier seb eduts. They seem more like previews then an actual song.

I'm still waiting for someone to remix the SEB All stars song without DJ Boss vocals. I really wanted to like that song better, but I can't get beyond "Here we Gox3 UHx3" I get Chris Brown vibes :?

Anyway, breaking away from the subject, but still on SEB 221 ground; Here is a question for some of you. I got my Cd, but I don't wanna deleat my orignial mp3s, because when I rip the cd on to my p.c and compare the sound, some of the mp3s actually sound clearer and louder. Why is that? BTW, I use FreeRIP program to to rip tracks onto my P.C.

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 27 Feb 2013, 12:06

drnrg wrote:Anyway, breaking away from the subject, but still on SEB 221 ground; Here is a question for some of you. I got my Cd, but I don't wanna deleat my orignial mp3s, because when I rip the cd on to my p.c and compare the sound, some of the mp3s actually sound clearer and louder. Why is that? BTW, I use FreeRIP program to to rip tracks onto my P.C.
Use EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip the tracks to your PC in lossless FLAC quality, you can then convert those FLAC files to high quality mp3s :)

That way you'll get really good sounding tracks

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 27 Feb 2013, 20:01

They haven't fallen from grace nearly as much as Hi-NRG Attack has

Huh? Did you miss 'eurobeat rebirth', 'Ride no destination' or so many other great digital-only releases? :o

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 27 Feb 2013, 22:12

Mmmm finally done with my own review so I can backtrack and look at all of the reviews done here. Hard to restrain myself from seeing other opinions before I'm done with my review...

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 28 Feb 2013, 00:10

the_ditz wrote:I would be wary to jump to conclusions based on this one release. I'm sure that SCP will continue to evolve just as they have done each decade, and I look forward to see what the future holds for them.
Funny, as I would argue that SCP haven't evolved much at all since the late 180s.

What's so different between songs like 'In the Fire of Victory,' 'Queen of Mean' and 'Spitfire' from the 180s and 'Hyper Super Powers' from 221? Even 'Different Girl' doesn't sound any different (pun not intended) to Irene's songs.

Tell me where the evolution is.
Last edited by Jay on 28 Feb 2013, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 28 Feb 2013, 00:18

Jay wrote:
the_ditz wrote:I would be wary to jump to conclusions based on this one release. I'm sure that SCP will continue to evolve just as they have done each decade, and I look forward to see what the future holds for them.
Funny, as I would argue that SCP haven't really evolved much since the late 180s.

What's so different between songs like 'In the Fire of Victory,' 'Queen of Mean' and 'Spitfire' from the 180s and 'Hyper Super Powers' from 221? Tell me where the evolution is.
Hyper Super Powers is the worst example you could ever consider when discussing evolution since that's just a terrible glitch in SCP's catalogue. SCP have evolved by using more commercial styles (such as Jager), an evolution of the slower disco style (Yo Shine and "Bright Time" by Jay Lehr)... Sure, they continue with their more classic sounds sometimes with new artists (such as Hotblade taking the reigns from Go 2) but in general, they continue to bring new elements to keep their sound fresh. ;)