How to get more fluid on Para

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

How to get more fluid on Para

Post by Bonkers » 16 Dec 2011, 02:28

I'm practicing some para routines, but it seems that I still look so...stiff in the movements. What are some techniques you guys use?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfQqesmHITk

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 16 Dec 2011, 04:37

Not to be mean or anything, but you'd get much better responses from the Para-Center than here. This forum is geared towards the music aspect.

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 16 Dec 2011, 17:03

^ What he said, but also, unless you mean a different type of "stiff", I think that precise, controlled movements looks better than really loose ones as far as para para goes.

Just do what I do and dance in front of the mirror a lot and try to see what doesn't look right.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 17 Dec 2011, 07:41

It's really difficult to see your dance moves clearly since your video is too dark, but a few things I noticed in this video that you could improve upon:

You have most the routine down but your movements are way too stiff. I would suggest for you to re-watch the video you learnt from (I'd assume the PPP4 video?) and pay more attention to how the dancers do the individual moves.

As evident by your hands, it appears your arms are really stiff while executing the movements. If you notice from watching your video, your hands look like they're in a karate chop position throughout most parts, which is seizing up your whole arm. If you relax your hand a bit more your arm will be less stiff and your movements will flow better. If you watch the PPP4 video, during the sabi of the song their hands are more of a "C" shape.

Your timing also looks to be off on some parts, and your executing some moves too fast. You'll get better at this once you've become comfortable with the routine. After you start learning a lot more dances, you'll gain the habit of learning timing while you learn the movements.

In addition to executing too fast, you're also executing moves too low. For example, if you notice the b-melo of the song your first set of moves are extending below your head, when in PPP4 video their hands are equal high to their heads. This is a common thing for people who are new to ParaPara so again, the only advice I can give you is to watch the official video and make note of how high they're doing it.

Hope this helps :grin:

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 18 Dec 2011, 21:52

I'm actually very impressed by your beginner's skills! I don't think your movements are that stiff considering para is somewhat more about precision and control rather than fluidity and smoothness.

I think the two latter are aspects that you'll develop as you learn more dances, watch more videos and pick elements from different experienced dancers' styles and incorporate them to your own style.

Nine is right about the hands. you'll learn by watching high quality videos and paying close attention that they need to be fists, C's or just flat depending on the moves. Placing them correctly will indeed influence movement in the whole arm.

Keep it up! You're doing very good, and much better that I did when I first started. I'm happy your picking up Para Para, it's a really fun hobby. How many routines do you know already? How long/hard was it to learn this one?

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 19 Dec 2011, 23:37

MAtRiCks wrote:I'm actually very impressed by your beginner's skills! I don't think your movements are that stiff considering para is somewhat more about precision and control rather than fluidity and smoothness.

I think the two latter are aspects that you'll develop as you learn more dances, watch more videos and pick elements from different experienced dancers' styles and incorporate them to your own style.

Nine is right about the hands. you'll learn by watching high quality videos and paying close attention that they need to be fists, C's or just flat depending on the moves. Placing them correctly will indeed influence movement in the whole arm.

Keep it up! You're doing very good, and much better that I did when I first started. I'm happy your picking up Para Para, it's a really fun hobby. How many routines do you know already? How long/hard was it to learn this one?
I know the routines for Try Me, Hyper Star Energy, and One Night With Bazooka Bellydancers. Hyper Star Energy, honestly, was an easier routine for me to ground. I need more space, honestly, but there just isn't in my house, and now, I am without a stereo period, so there goes any music for a while. :(