Eurobeat in Tokyo

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bore
Founder

Eurobeat in Tokyo

Post by Bore » 04 Jul 2012, 11:23

Okay, the thing is, I'm travelling to Tokyo for 2 weeks this fall and I *must* find some places where to acquire a huge amount of my missing SEBs and of the likes. Can anyone pinpoint to me which stores would be the ideal places to visit for finding said cds puhlease.

Also other recommendations of places to visit are of course also welcome, I'm going in pretty much blind and on a whim just to make sure I don't celebrate my 30th birthday anywhere within the vicinity of my workplace. God forbit if I had to listen to them sing happy birthday or such to me. Aaanyways, please, tips!

(I remember this topic being discussed once in the past before by someone else, but I couldn't find it with a fast search so I used the webmaster priviledge of possibly posting a duplicate threat, sue me!)

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 04 Jul 2012, 12:56

Dunno what part of Tokyo you are staying in (probably inner metropolis I'm thinking), but the Book-Off in Nagayama is where I saw the most Eurobeat at. I'm not sure if you're looking for older stuff or like SEB200+ though. Book-Off has mainly older stuff though like before 2000. It's kind of hard to find things that come out after 2000 in Book-Off. Be sure to check out ALL of the sections. J-pop, Yougaku (洋楽), 500 yen, and 250 yen. Also, they are sometimes tricky and have sections called クラブ/ダンス at the end of the alphabet in the 250/500 yen sections. Check out オムニバス (Various Artists) as well.

Only problem is, Nagayama is a little far from Shinjuku area but I dunno where you're staying. Also, it's very difficult to walk to it from Nagayama Station (永山駅). You have to take the bus probably. I've never taken the bus at Nagayama though (didn't have time). Found some info online though.

Book Off Tama Nagayama (6-29 Nagayama, Tama-shi 206_0025; Free shuttle bus
departs from Keio-Odakyu Nagayama Station. 2 runs per hour on
weekdays, 3 on weekends. Go down stairs on the left side of coffee
shop and wait at the island beyond the taxi pool. About 10 minutes
to Book Off. The additional weekend shuttle runs stop by at Tama
Center Station. 357-2701) "Very large used bookstore. Quite large
foreign section: 4 high shelves. Also sells videos, audio CDs,
video games and toys." Open 10-22. [08/11]

(taken from http://www.leepers.us/evelyn/bookshops/jp-yhama.htm)

http://www.bookoff.co.jp/shop/shop71002.html At the bottom it says the shuttle stops at 20:20.

[電車:
京王相模原線・小田急相模原線「永山」駅から無料シャトルバスあり。
駅前ロータリー・タクシー乗り場脇から毎日運行。最終便は20:20永山駅発。永山駅からバス約10分。
※詳しいダイヤについてはインフォメーションをご確認ください。]

http://www.bookoff.co.jp/files/news/201 ... tlebus.pdf

good info about it. I wish I had known there was a shuttle from Tama-Center when I was there -_-

Where are you staying? You should maybe consider going to the para clubs even though they are mainly in Roppongi these days. How good is your Japanese? :o I went to the Book-Off in Shibuya and it was kind of lame for Eurobeat... but yeah, check out as many Book-Offs as you can when you go to Japan.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 04 Jul 2012, 13:14

Ah yeah, I was thinking of mentioning where I'm staying. Sorta used to living in a small place where your actual situation doesn't really matter since you can just get anywhere within a small frame of time.

Anyways my hotel was not too far off from Shibuya actually really close to Roppongi (at least according to the map). Not having been in the town before I gotta say I have no clue what so ever about the map and the general travelling inside the city. I just know I have certain stuff that needs to be done and seen :P Mostly related to the fanboyism related things.

My japanese is... well quite minimal at the moment. I got the basic course books that I've been going through so can't say I'm really even on the very basic level yet. But hoping to actually learn at least something before October anyways. Yet I ain't too fussed, I'll manage with english :P I hope *crosses fingers*

Nagayama does seem fairly far off from where I'm staying at, but well within the 2 week timeframe I might have enough experience with the local public transport to learn how to get to the place. Plus that guide should help up even more so, thanks :)

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 04 Jul 2012, 14:44

Bore wrote: Anyways my hotel was not too far off from Shibuya actually really close to Roppongi (at least according to the map). Not having been in the town before I gotta say I have no clue what so ever about the map and the general travelling inside the city. I just know I have certain stuff that needs to be done and seen :P Mostly related to the fanboyism related things.

My japanese is... well quite minimal at the moment. I got the basic course books that I've been going through so can't say I'm really even on the very basic level yet. But hoping to actually learn at least something before October anyways. Yet I ain't too fussed, I'll manage with english :P I hope *crosses fingers*

Nagayama does seem fairly far off from where I'm staying at, but well within the 2 week timeframe I might have enough experience with the local public transport to learn how to get to the place. Plus that guide should help up even more so, thanks :)
Ahh if you are living close to Shibuya, I think the best way would be to go to Shibuya Station on Keio line to get to Nagayama. It will take an hour though. In May/June I lived very close to Tama-Center Station and I very frequently took the Keio line to get to Shibuya and Shinjuku so I know the area pretty well.

The best beginner Japanese books for English speakers in my opinion are Genki. I recommend them to everyone. Also, know your hiragana and katakana before going to Japan :P

One hour train ride to get to places isn't long in Japan like it seems in other countries. It's just bad if you're in a time crunch like trying to make it back before the last train.

I took this photo at Nagayama Book-Off when I went there in the middle of June. This stuff may all be gone I have no idea. There's more on the right side of this picture that I didn't take a photo as well. This stuff was 250 yen each too.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 04 Jul 2012, 15:46

If you are in Shibuya, go to the massive HMV (you can't miss the sign for it at the crazy crossing intersection in Shibuya). They had more modern SEB albums (when I was out there, 195 had just been released, and they had 184-195). Not as many older albums though apart from the anniversary compilations. :)

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Re: Eurobeat in Tokyo

Post by Shawaazu » 05 Jul 2012, 01:30

Bore wrote:I'm going in pretty much blind and on a whim just to make sure I don't celebrate my 30th birthday anywhere within the vicinity of my workplace. God forbit if I had to listen to them sing happy birthday or such to me.
Yknow they are probably gonna do it before you leave or after you come back :wink:

If you are staying near Shibuya, you could always try the Shibuya book-off their Eurobeat selection wasn't huge when I was there, but they might have something you don't have.

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 06 Jul 2012, 17:12

Cool, will be in Tokyo too this september.

In the past (2003, 2006 and 2009) I have bought some eurobeat at Recofan. The last time I was there they didn't had that much eurobeat (or I didn't search good enough for it) but you'II never know...

http://www.recofan.co.jp/map/map_eng.html

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 06 Jul 2012, 18:44

Do people still collect the older albums? Like, I have found that I personally like 1994 on-wards, but that picture shows some vol. 20s, which would be from around 1992, right?

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 06 Jul 2012, 18:55

I pretty much try to get whatever ones I'm lacking. The earlier albums are a bit on/off in terms of quality, but they got a lot of really good treasures on them as well. Mainly I would love to find the few missing albums from the 90-99 bracket with the extended discs, but I ain't holding my breath.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 06 Jul 2012, 19:42

EurothunderNL wrote:Cool, will be in Tokyo too this september.

In the past (2003, 2006 and 2009) I have bought some eurobeat at Recofan. The last time I was there they didn't had that much eurobeat (or I didn't search good enough for it) but you'II never know...

Cool, never heard of the place before :O Bookmarked! I think Book-Off is more popular of a place for people to sell things so maybe that's why no eurobeat...

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 06 Jul 2012, 20:01

EurothunderNL wrote:Cool, will be in Tokyo too this september.

Thanks for the reference, bookmarked as well. Got a lot of places to visit on the trip. I really wanted to visit some amusement parks, but I presume they are already closed in October... Lacky language skills make it harder to understand the sites :P Fuji-Q sounded interesting none the less. Well can dream either way.

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 07 Jul 2012, 17:41

Disney should be open..

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 08 Jul 2012, 02:44

Disney is open
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/s ... ber_e.html

Fuji-Q should be open in October. Try looking at this website in August to see what days they are open in October.

http://www.fujiq.jp/calendar/monthly.html

Everything else

http://www.infomapjapan.com/themeparks.phtml

UFOPOLI
Eurobeat Boom

Re: Eurobeat in Tokyo

Post by UFOPOLI » 10 Jul 2012, 13:43

Bore wrote:Also other recommendations of places to visit are of course also welcome
Even though you don't dance yourself, I'd recommend you to go see at least one parapara club. After all, where else can you find a club that plays only eurobeat? If you decide to do this, I can give you exact recommedations where and when to go.
EurothunderNL wrote:Disney should be open..
And crowded. I've been there twice, and both times in October, actually. Also take note that there are two parks, of which I definitely recommend DisneySea. If you want to do both, don't try to cram them into one day.
Every time I'm free
I realize that funny time will take me higher

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 10 Jul 2012, 16:57

If you decide to do this, I can give you exact recommedations where and when to go.
As I am going to Tokyo as well in september please do!

have been in Velfarre at Super Euro Flash back in 2006, some months before it closed and even if I couldn't do the routines it was very c**l to be there.