Super Eurobeat Official Facebook page!

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Super Eurobeat Official Facebook page!

Post by zoupzuop2 » 04 Dec 2012, 08:41

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SEB-Offi ... 0999239582

For those of you who happen to be on that big 'ol self-doxxing social network, Avex has taken a VERY big step (if a bit... late) and created an official Page for fans to join in and discuss... well, not much on that, yet, but I'd say this is a step in the right direction!

If you already have an account, I HEAVILY encourage you to endorse this move! Relevance is CRUCIAL for Super Eurobeat and the more we reward relevant behavior the more we can see it happen, I say!
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 04 Dec 2012, 13:30

Oh yeah, the plans for a comeback are looking good. Avex is doing their utmost best now to bring Eurobeat back to a level it ever used to be at! :-) Together we can do it.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 05 Dec 2012, 01:54

I wish I could "Like" it. Like I said to Travis in a tweet, I don't have a facebook acoount and I don't want one either. I will, however, follow them on twitter if they decide to create an account. This is a great move and will show that there a lot more fan oversea than they think. Hopefully! :D
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 05 Dec 2012, 06:46

I do have a facebook account, but only open it at the internet cafes. It's so overpoluted with crap that it takes my browser a very long TIME to open pages, especially if they are saturated. I'm very curious to check out supereurobeat page soon.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 05 Dec 2012, 16:57

I posted on their FB wall that they desperately need to release their eurobeat albums on international iTunes. I think the availability of the music would increase interest. It's been too long since they took music down.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 05 Dec 2012, 23:36

para_rigby wrote:I posted on their FB wall that they desperately need to release their eurobeat albums on international iTunes. I think the availability of the music would increase interest. It's been too long since they took music down.
Unfortunately this is not possible due to contracts. However most of the SEB albums will be released on Japanese iTunes or Mora.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 05 Dec 2012, 23:57

DarkSky wrote:
para_rigby wrote:I posted on their FB wall that they desperately need to release their eurobeat albums on international iTunes. I think the availability of the music would increase interest. It's been too long since they took music down.
Unfortunately this is not possible due to contracts. However most of the SEB albums will be released on Japanese iTunes or Mora.
Is there any room to ask what CAN be done for Eurobeat to be made internationally available, then? (Is it on the labels themselves? Does avex want nothing to do with other countries/their money/their fans?)
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 06 Dec 2012, 02:33

zoupzuop2 wrote:
DarkSky wrote:
Is there any room to ask what CAN be done for Eurobeat to be made internationally available, then? (Is it on the labels themselves? Does avex want nothing to do with other countries/their money/their fans?)
This is my central problem with Avex...how the hell can you support a small niche genre when you cannot market to the international audiences who are desperately craving to buy music? Maybe contracts need to change then.

And we all know that Avex knows about their international audience. I firmly believe that revenue for SEB would increase by having material available on non-Japanese iTunes stores. I would spend like crazy to get tracks at a reasonable price (.99-1.29 USD). Release unreleased songs, release Euromach extended tracks, etc. PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BUY...

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 06 Dec 2012, 09:00

para_rigby
And we all know that Avex knows about their international audience. I firmly believe that revenue for SEB would increase by having material available on non-Japanese iTunes stores. I would spend like crazy to get tracks at a reasonable price (.99-1.29 USD). Release unreleased songs, release Euromach extended tracks, etc. PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO BUY...
I guess you mainly mean TIME extended or a few SCPs, cuz all HRG Attack and most of BBB and VIb catalog is avaliable on Juno and DELTA are all out too. I do have a few Euromach extendeds like Nightmare(SCP), Love Train(TIME), Crazy Generation(SCP), Love Gun(TIME),TV Hero(SCP)and some ABEATC, ect..

but I would love HIGH Level- Take Your TIME and Thomas Lee- Midnight in Mind blowing extended versions, so I second your motion 8)

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 06 Dec 2012, 10:15

zoupzuop2 wrote:
DarkSky wrote:
That's quite easy to explain my myself actually.

Avex licenses music from the Italian Eurobeat labels for a specific time, for a specific territory.
The territory they license for is usually Japan or Asia. Which means that by licensing the songs they have the exclusive right to publish this music in Japan or Asia.

This explains why labels that have a Japan/Asia territory based contract with Avex cannot release music themselves in Japan/Asia. But on the other hand, Avex cannot release this music outside of Japan/Asia because of their contract with the label.

That's why it's up to the labels themselves to publish the music internationally (with the exception of Japan/Asia, depending on the contract they have with Avex).
Avex is not responsible for all Eurobeat music releases out of Japan/Asia.

@para_rigby,
It is highly unlikely that the contracts will be changed. It has been like the way it is since the very beginning of Super Eurobeat. Also imagine the costs of licensing songs for territory: WORLD in comparison with territory: JAPAN.

Costs for Avex will rise a lot! And then we haven't even advertised yet. It's simply not possible to do this.

The music industry is very difficult to understand, in most of the cases only when you're in the middle of it you'll understand the contract things etc..

But for now the answer is really easy:
Avex is responsible for releases within Japan or Asia (depending on their contract with the labels).

The label is responsible for releases in other countries (except Japan or Asia, depending on their contract with Avex)

The label has the right to release rejected tracks in Japan, Asia and all other parts of the world as this song hasn't been licensed by Avex

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 06 Dec 2012, 14:56

DarkSky wrote: The label is responsible for releases in other countries (except Japan or Asia, depending on their contract with Avex)
Ah. That's actually good to know.

If that's the case, though, why does Avex seem so ill-delighted to see this content on international iTunes? (If I recall right it's part of why Delta USED to have the "Eurobeat Masters" series on iTunes, but then had to pack it down into two "Collections" before those were wiped.) Were the conditions different when these things WERE on international iTunes?
Join me on an Odyssey.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 06 Dec 2012, 15:44

zoupzuop2 wrote:
DarkSky wrote: The label is responsible for releases in other countries (except Japan or Asia, depending on their contract with Avex)

If that's the case, though, why does Avex seem so ill-delighted to see this content on international iTunes? (If I recall right it's part of why Delta USED to have the "Eurobeat Masters" series on iTunes, but then had to pack it down into two "Collections" before those were wiped.) Were the conditions different when these things WERE on international iTunes?
It is possible that the songs released have been licensed by Avex but haven't been released by Avex. it is also possible that (a part) of the songs on the series have been licensed by Avex and that the series have been released on iTunes Japan.

For example, if Dima Music releases an album with 12 un-licensed (rejected) tracks and 1 licensed (accepted) track. We cannot release the album in Japan/Asia because the album contains 1 song that is licensed.

We can:

1. Release 1 album full of un-licensed tracks (rejected) in territory: WORLD
2. Release 1 album full of licensed tracks (accepted) n territory: WORLD, EXCEPT ASIA.
3. Release 1 album mixed with un-licensed and licensed tracks in territory: WORLD, EXCEPT ASIA

I don't know the exact situation for Delta, but I expect that the Eurobeat Masters songs contained songs that had already been licensed by Avex. (Even is there's only one licensed song, they'll have to take-down the full album).

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 06 Dec 2012, 19:59

DarkSky wrote:
zoupzuop2 wrote:

It is possible that the songs released have been licensed by Avex but haven't been released by Avex. it is also possible that (a part) of the songs on the series have been licensed by Avex and that the series have been released on iTunes Japan.

For example, if Dima Music releases an album with 12 un-licensed (rejected) tracks and 1 licensed (accepted) track. We cannot release the album in Japan/Asia because the album contains 1 song that is licensed.

We can:

2. Release 1 album full of licensed tracks (accepted) n territory: WORLD, EXCEPT ASIA.
3. Release 1 album mixed with un-licensed and licensed tracks in territory: WORLD, EXCEPT ASIA

I don't know the exact situation for Delta, but I expect that the Eurobeat Masters songs contained songs that had already been licensed by Avex. (Even is there's only one licensed song, they'll have to take-down the full album).
So, what's to stop every single Eurobeat label from publishing their entire catalogs on iTunes under "WORLD, EXCEPT ASIA"? And, if Avex hasn't released the licensed track (for only Asia), wouldn't it be their own damn fault for not publishing the track on time?

Seeing as Asia already has infinitely more access to legal versions (physical copies or downloads) of Super Eurobeat material, I could hardly see what would be wrong with going to town on as many online stores as possible (excepting those that don't permit region restrictions of course) and advertising on their own power to the countries that have been kept out (read: every non-Asian country).

Alternatively, couldn't Avex simply issue a non-exclusive/temporary set of publishing rights to get their foot in the door with other countries? (Or, doesn't Avex have subsidiaries in other countries that could pull a similar deal?)

Even more, how was Avex able to get away with the Collections on iTunes before they yoinked everything away? If they DON'T have the rights to non-Asia regions, why did they do that in the first place?
Join me on an Odyssey.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 06 Dec 2012, 22:20

zoupzuop2 wrote:
DarkSky wrote:
zoupzuop2 wrote: Ah. That's actually good to know.

We can:

So, what's to stop every single Eurobeat label from publishing their entire catalogs on iTunes under "WORLD, EXCEPT ASIA"? And, if Avex hasn't released the licensed track (for only Asia), wouldn't it be their own damn fault for not publishing the track on time?

Seeing as Asia already has infinitely more access to legal versions (physical copies or downloads) of Super Eurobeat material, I could hardly see what would be wrong with going to town on as many online stores as possible (excepting those that don't permit region restrictions of course) and advertising on their own power to the countries that have been kept out (read: every non-Asian country).

Alternatively, couldn't Avex simply issue a non-exclusive/temporary set of publishing rights to get their foot in the door with other countries? (Or, doesn't Avex have subsidiaries in other countries that could pull a similar deal?)

Even more, how was Avex able to get away with the Collections on iTunes before they yoinked everything away? If they DON'T have the rights to non-Asia regions, why did they do that in the first place?
It is all extremely complicated and it fully depends on the contract a label has with Avex. I simply cannot give an answer to all of your questions because I cannot look into other label's contracts and I know nothing about them.

The revenues of digital downloading are far less than having a track licensed. Labels tend to re-sumbit rejected tracks after some time. So a rejected track doesn't directly mean that the label is going to publish it themselves.

Also having albums distributed in all countries EXCEPT Japan/Asia is very difficult. Some digital stores have issues with blocking off certain countries.

Example:
If there is a disc with 12 songs made by 12 different labels. And one of the songs is made by a label which has a contract that says that the song can only be distributed in Japan. Then the whole disc cannot be distributed out of Japan because of that single song. It would be a hell of a job (administratively) to release the disc with all songs in Japan, and in all other countries a disc with only 11 songs.

Avex can distribute to Japanese stores that ship their stuff outside of Japan. But that store is still a Japanese store, so this is allowed. Digital downloading is a bit different.... because as a USA citizen you create a US iTunes account. And it's possible to distribute music only in a specific country when it comes to Digital Downloading.

With regards to your question about the Special Collections. It's possible that the songs were licensed under different conditions. Or that the label the songs were made by doesn't have a very ''tight'' contract.

I repeat, I cannot answer all of your questions because I know nothing about the contracts of other labels. Still, music licensing is a very very complicated thing.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 06 Dec 2012, 23:30

Oy...this is very complicated. HI-NRG ATTACK and SAIFAM have pretty much released their full catalogs online, yet there are a bunch of materials (some are pretty frickin' old) from other labels that haven't seen the light of day. Look into the back catalog of SCP and you can find probably 20+ songs that never were published yet we will never get to hear them. A damn shame because of the licensing issue.

While I understand all of this being legal, I still feel that this complicates a root issue of it being harder for non-Asian eurobeat fans to obtain songs without huge amounts of money. I often lament the 30.00+ USD price for a single album. I would love to invest money into this genre, but that is coming to a price that many cannot afford (speaking as a college student, here).

I guess many here would rather see Avex lessen its grip on the issue and make the material available to more fans. What I have seen is the opposite with high prices on albums...fans will share music or even download torrents full of the music at no cost. Maybe there needs to be a serious consideration done at Avex about finding a comfortable middle ground on the issue. Lowering the price and marketing to non-Asian countries could very well see an increase in revenue, in the end.

Just some thoughts. What do others think?