Tempo of Eurobeat

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

Tempo of Eurobeat

Post by Bonkers » 27 May 2013, 21:17

So is this how fast Eurobeat is played in the clubs? If so, I need to make my way to Japan. I would love a whole night of this kind of tempo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcloOx6zOE

Be nice if the non-stops were like this.

Will154
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Will154 » 27 May 2013, 22:13

im a parapara dancer since 6 years now and sometimes i find it hard to understand when and who speeds up eurobeat's bpm and why :p .. i would be tempted to say StarFire leaves the original bpms if i take into consideration their dvds i have , but then again ive never been there in person myself at an event.

as for non-stops , i think older non-stops do speed up the bpm's (is it maybe something they used to do before?) .. look for example at the speed in Super Eurobeat 113 , its very well mixed and i was shocked to discover how slow the originals were afterwards :p

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 28 May 2013, 00:22

Will154 wrote:im a parapara dancer since 6 years now and sometimes i find it hard to understand when and who speeds up eurobeat's bpm and why :p .. i would be tempted to say StarFire leaves the original bpms if i take into consideration their dvds i have , but then again ive never been there in person myself at an event.

as for non-stops , i think older non-stops do speed up the bpm's (is it maybe something they used to do before?) .. look for example at the speed in Super Eurobeat 113 , its very well mixed and i was shocked to discover how slow the originals were afterwards :p
I have 113 (I only collect the non-stops). I felt 113 was pretty average just like any other SEB non-stop (except for the Spin Me Round track). Now, the Euromach albums were heaven. Avex had a good thing going with those albums.

I feel pitching up the tracks adds excitement to them and gives it a "rave" feel, and a little bit of chaos with the shutter/skipping sound effects is great too, but then again, I'm initially a Happy Hardcore lover/raver, so I prefer my music fast, chaotic and chipmunky. I usually declare a 20 bpm increase limit for any genre when doing a continuous DJ mix...after pitching a track by about 15 bpms, it starts losing its bass power.

I know the majority of peeps on here are the total opposite though, and it boggles me how people who love dance music don't like a good DJ mix. Do you people ever get out and go raving or clubbing? Not being a smart ass here, but just wondering.

I love eurobeat for what it is, and I dish out my money to collect it. As an American buyer, it's more cost efficient for me to spend nearly $30 and get 25-30 tracks on 1 cd instead of spending $30 and getting 15. And plus, if the options there, I'm going DJ mixed because of the reasons stated above.

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 28 May 2013, 01:38

Bonkers wrote: I know the majority of peeps on here are the total opposite though, and it boggles me how people who love dance music don't like a good DJ mix. Do you people ever get out and go raving or clubbing? Not being a smart ass here, but just wondering.
I appreciate a good DJ mix...when I'm actually out dancing at a club/etc. When I'm listening on my own I generally like it better if the songs are at their original tempo, with no extra effects. Also, I like a good mix better when I don't know what songs are going to be played. The element of surprise is probably the thing I like most about listening to a megamix, hence why I don't buy nonstops.

Tiger
Master of Time

Re: Tempo of Eurobeat

Post by Tiger » 28 May 2013, 02:53

Bonkers wrote:So is this how fast Eurobeat is played in the clubs? If so, I need to make my way to Japan. I would love a whole night of this kind of tempo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flcloOx6zOE

Be nice if the non-stops were like this.
I uploaded that video :P

No, whoever mixed this video just made it that sped up. Also, that video is like 12-13 years old. I dunno if they sped up the Euromach songs at JOY in 2000. It really depends on the DJ.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 28 May 2013, 05:50

I always get complaints when I speed up tracks. A few BPM gets done unnoticed, but more than 4-5 bpm is usually a reason for people to point it out to me afterwards. :')

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 28 May 2013, 08:50

Whenever I went to Parapara events, when they played Lolita songs, it always sounds like a mouse is singing :D

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 28 May 2013, 17:18

What I remember from my one and only visit at Velfarre (back in 2006) the music WAS sped up. Loud, fast and noisy :D

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 29 May 2013, 06:39

I know the majoraty of you don't collect Vinyls, but if you did , you would realize that when making a proper old school nonstop, you have to pitch up most of the songs. It depends on which record is your starting song.

If you would start with; say Maio & Co. - Master Blaster and wanted to mix in some Phil & Stan songs; you would have to pitch them up to fit the BPMs of Maio & co. It's basic Mixing class 101 :D Imagine if vinyls were still being pressed(my dream) You would have to pitch up Cy-Ro's "Rainy Days" to the max in order to fit the bpms of say; Dave Rodgers- 1 Fire. The best way to do it is to choose a few songs like "Rainy Days" and greadually speed them up each TIME youy introduce a new song.

If any of yoy have tried a little old school dee jaying with the vinyls, then you know how much fun it is working your way up from "Funky Lady" to "Hot Girl" to "Heros Of Fantasy" to "Too Young To Fall In Love" to " Not This TIME" and finish up with "Diablo Man". All Gino Caria classics by the way.

I love the Euromach volumes, but ; yes I would also collect the vinyls to hear what the songs were intenede to sound like when written by the labels. I think they sound ok; so long as they don't reach the "Chipmunk" vocals status...and I mean the male vocals as well. As for club mixing; I really don't care for it; unless it's a really good oldschool transitional mixing style. Nothing that sounds like a rave or that makes the melody distorted.

I have never heard or attended a club where they play Eurobeat. Nor do I think In would be too excited to hear my favourite songs sped up to "Mouse" status.I think I'm better off just listening to the songs as they were intended. 8)

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 29 May 2013, 20:03

What I usually do when shifting between bpms is this.

Let's say track 1 is 150 bpm, and track 2 is 160 bpm (these are extremes, but for the purpose of explaining it does just fine). When playing track 1 I keep it at the intended 150 bpm. Now, when the outro plays and the intro of the next track needs to be put on to, I play both tracks at 155 bpm. Now, when the actual 'mix' is finished I put track 2 up to 160 bpm and everyone's happy.

And no, I do not usually play tracks with 10 bpm difference after eachother. :P

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 29 May 2013, 20:07

MKwiakaku wrote:What I usually do when shifting between bpms is this.

Let's say track 1 is 150 bpm, and track 2 is 160 bpm (these are extremes, but for the purpose of explaining it does just fine). When playing track 1 I keep it at the intended 150 bpm. Now, when the outro plays and the intro of the next track needs to be put on to, I play both tracks at 155 bpm. Now, when the actual 'mix' is finished I put track 2 up to 160 bpm and everyone's happy.

And no, I do not usually play tracks with 10 bpm difference after eachother. :P
That's too choppy. Just pitch the 1st track up to fit the tempo of the 2nd track so the energy flows when transitioning.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 29 May 2013, 20:24

As I said, that won't really work with a 10bpm difference because then you'll hear it very clearly. ;)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 30 May 2013, 04:36

Bonkers wrote:That's too choppy. Just pitch the 1st track up to fit the tempo of the 2nd track so the energy flows when transitioning.
That's what I would do myself if I needed to do that.

Usually though, I prefer using a "main" BPM. Usually the highest BPM. Yes, that will chipmunk the slowest ones but I feel like that I am not the only one that did that in the past. ie. "I'm Alive" by Jay Lehr on SEB197.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Akira
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Akira » 30 May 2013, 21:44

Lebon14 wrote:
Bonkers wrote:That's too choppy. Just pitch the 1st track up to fit the tempo of the 2nd track so the energy flows when transitioning.

Usually though, I prefer using a "main" BPM. Usually the highest BPM. Yes, that will chipmunk the slowest ones but I feel like that I am not the only one that did that in the past. ie. "I'm Alive" by Jay Lehr on SEB197.
I prefer using a main BPM too, which is usually 160. For mixes with lots of songs at different speed, though, what I do is divide the mix into different parts at different speed and put them "in progession", so first maybe you have some songs sped up to 145 bpm, then some at 150, until you reach 160. So, since the music is always going faster, it gives a plus of "power".
Amateur indie eurobeat producer. Check out my music here! https://soundcloud.com/super-nova-473010963

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 31 May 2013, 03:47

Akira wrote:
Lebon14 wrote:

I prefer using a main BPM too, which is usually 160. For mixes with lots of songs at different speed, though, what I do is divide the mix into different parts at different speed and put them "in progession", so first maybe you have some songs sped up to 145 bpm, then some at 150, until you reach 160. So, since the music is always going faster, it gives a plus of "power".
^^^ That's what I do with my eurodance mixes. I start at 140, then progress to 150. I'm working on a new mix now, and I'm opening the mix with "Don't Turn Around" by Ace of Base...which is terribly slow (VirtualDJ reads it as 95 bpm), but still a good track.