Where did this sound go?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

Where did this sound go?

Post by Bonkers » 13 Mar 2014, 02:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9cCVmOUeBQ

What happened to the synths being loud and clanky? All the synths now sound the same: blended & soft

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Re: Where did this sound go?

Post by synthjunkie » 13 Mar 2014, 03:02

Bonkers wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9cCVmOUeBQ

What happened to the synths being loud and clanky? All the synths now sound the same: blended & soft
That song there has a very techno inspired riff, but it's still great to hear. The song really shines during the verses before the chorus in where you can hear all the awesome layers of the beats and synths used.

As it has been talked about before on this forum, eurobeat had to evolve, I guess, in order to fit more into what is popular in mainstream during the periods. Sounds contradicting, no? Even though eurobeat is currently not mainstream, it does at times try to pick some influences to keep it fresh sounding over the years. Especially considering how many songs they have done, which really is incredible, there needs to be some variety to stay fresh. It still has been trying to stay true in many ways to it's original form, more so than say compared to other long lasting artists of today who have not been able to do this during their whole career, ie. Madonna,as well as many other long lasting mainstream artists who have been around as long as eurobeat has.

So in this aspect we are very blessed to still have eurobeat containing at least some common elements of the older styles (ie, basic song formulas with intros, riffs, outros, etc, common themes, unique vocal work, mutiple aliases for the same artist, and of course hi-nrg influences galore in the vocal work and melodies, regardless of the synths being used).

If I had to choose an era or type of songs that were the highlight for eurobeat, it would be any of the British eurobeat productions by SAW, PWL or any of the earlier Italo eurobeat productions (1991 or earlier), with all the clapping effects and multiple layers.

As for italo eurobeat producers, alot of them also used this sound back in the day, to which I find much more pleasing to my ears than today's stuff,

HOWEVER 8) once in a while I am continually surprised to find some awesome newer eurobeat songs trying to add more layers into the backrounds and bringing back some old synths here and there, or some piano sounds, or trying to use more thought into the quality overall (some songs from SEB 227 come to mind) but I guess it will never be like the good old days...:(

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 13 Mar 2014, 03:43

2nd boom euro is some of the best...

Shawaazu
Master of Time

Post by Shawaazu » 13 Mar 2014, 06:09

Eurobeat's sound was very inspired by Techno / Rave / House music at the time because it was so huge in Japan in the mid 90s. Both Time and A Beat C did this but you hear it more in A Beat C productions where some songs do not even sound very Eurobeat-ish just listen to UP ALL NIGHT / ANNERLEY GORDON from the same SEB as the one above. Particularly in Sinclaire productions. But as above that sound is not that popular anymore so labels have changed and evolved their sound.

But I think that mid 90s influence did push Eurobeat out of the 80s influenced Italo Disco sound and into a what we were hearing in the late 90s early 00s era (3rd boom).

ryosuke63
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by ryosuke63 » 25 Mar 2014, 06:54

Shawaazu wrote:Both Time and A Beat C did this but you hear it more in A Beat C productions where some songs do not even sound very Eurobeat-ish ...
Definitely. A-Beat C had been making straight-up hyper techno since around '92, so that period of '92-'94 where eurobeat was nearly synonymous with hyper-techno was very much born out of that emerging scene. Time hadn't latched onto it so much.
Shawaazu wrote:Particularly in Sinclaire productions.
Which makes perfect sense, considering how into hyper-techno he is, even today.
Channel Q | YouTube | Twitter
AquaBawks wrote:You can't spell very xenophobic douchebags without a-v-e-x.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 25 Mar 2014, 17:35

ryosuke63 wrote:
Shawaazu wrote:Both Time and A Beat C did this but you hear it more in A Beat C productions where some songs do not even sound very Eurobeat-ish ...
Definitely. A-Beat C had been making straight-up hyper techno since around '92, so that period of '92-'94 where eurobeat was nearly synonymous with hyper-techno was very much born out of that emerging scene. Time hadn't latched onto it so much.
Shawaazu wrote:Particularly in Sinclaire productions.
Which makes perfect sense, considering how into hyper-techno he is, even today.
The important thing to remember is that Bratt Sinclaire and Alberto Contini pushed forward this harsher style that was influenced from their rock backgrounds. A-Beat C's first major SMASH hit (though some will argue Fantasy by Virginelle), King & Queen has influenced Sinclaire's Eurobeat to this day. Because of how popular this style of Eurobeat was, it helped usher in the new style of Eurobeat that was present at that time. Kamikaze, Doctor & The Medic, pretty much all of Edo's tracks, and others. This rock style was further pushed by the techno influences that Bratt experimented with when he decided to get into Hyper Techno. We've all seen Bratt's Hyper Techno influence in ALL of Eurobeat.
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?