For those who contributes Eurobeat releases to Discogs...

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

For those who contributes Eurobeat releases to Discogs...

Post by Lebon14 » 04 Oct 2014, 06:57

Hey guys.
Just an heads up for people like me that contributes a lot to discogs. Eurobeat was FINALLY added in the styles for Electronic music.

What does that mean?

Well, let's change ALL of the "Hi NRG" and "Italo-Disco" styles to "Eurobeat" of course!

I'm starting with the SEB volumes here, so feel free to help out!
http://www.discogs.com/label/274469-Super-Eurobeat
(Also feel free to comment if earlier releases should stay as Hi-NRG and Italo-Disco because, as you guys know, early 1990s was still a transitionary era for Eurobeat).

Obviously, there's shit tons of other releases to fix too.

Later!

EDIT
Quickly edited the first 25 SEB volumes. I stopped there. Will pick things up again later.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 04 Oct 2014, 09:50

About time they would do that…! Thanks for telling.
Eurobeat genre is like what? In its thirties? …Some acknowledge wouldn't hurt at all.

I don't have an account yet… as soon I get one, I'll be digging into Hi-Nrg Attack releases

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 04 Oct 2014, 11:58

great news!

i have a account,i will see if i can help! :)
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 04 Oct 2014, 12:22

Just don't change everything to Eurobeat blindly. Specifically , a song that is actually HI-NRG or Italo Disco to Eurobeat. That would make no sense at all.

Remeber SEB vol. 1 was released years after some of those songs featured came out, so in reality some songs like Vanessa - Just a Game and Sophie - Soft TIME are more Italo than Eurobeat. Same thing With the That's Eurobeat series. It's a just a name, but a lot of that music featuered is form the New York Hi_NRG movement. Not even made in Europe ; which is where the word Eurobeat derives from. "Whisper To A Scream - Bobby 'O' is in no way Eurobeat even though it appears on a cd called "That's Eurobeat"

Just use your best judgment. :wink:

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 04 Oct 2014, 19:46

drnrg wrote:Just don't change everything to Eurobeat blindly. Specifically , a song that is actually HI-NRG or Italo Disco to Eurobeat. That would make no sense at all.

Remeber SEB vol. 1 was released years after some of those songs featured came out, so in reality some songs like Vanessa - Just a Game and Sophie - Soft TIME are more Italo than Eurobeat. Same thing With the That's Eurobeat series. It's a just a name, but a lot of that music featuered is form the New York Hi_NRG movement. Not even made in Europe ; which is where the word Eurobeat derives from. "Whisper To A Scream - Bobby 'O' is in no way Eurobeat even though it appears on a cd called "That's Eurobeat"

That's why I said "(Also feel free to comment if earlier releases should stay as Hi-NRG and Italo-Disco because, as you guys know, early 1990s was still a transitionary era for Eurobeat)". So, feel free to add back "Italo-Disco" to the style list if needed. You definitely have more knowledge than me concerning early Eurobeat and Italo-Disco.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

ryosuke63
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by ryosuke63 » 04 Oct 2014, 22:54

drnrg wrote:Just don't change everything to Eurobeat blindly. Specifically , a song that is actually HI-NRG or Italo Disco to Eurobeat. That would make no sense at all.

Regarding what "is and isn't eurobeat", I can confidently say that no record made from 1990 on should be considered "italo-disco". Italo died out completely by 1989, and the phase from 1987-1989 was what most people consider the transitional period. In that case, I would advise those transitional records be tagged both "italo-disco" and "eurobeat", even though the first "true" eurobeat record didn't get made until around 1989 or 1990 with the formation of A-Beat C. I strongly disagree with calling any italo-disco or eurobeat record "hi-NRG", as that was a separate genre often confused with the two in the US and UK. The stuff in the first 8 SEB volumes was mostly 1987-1990, so both "italo" and "eurobeat" would be appropriate. The Beat Freak editions actually contained some euro house (Novecento, Black Box, etc.) too. But everything from 9 and on was pure eurobeat, so I would recommend they be tagged solely as "eurobeat".
Channel Q | YouTube | Twitter
AquaBawks wrote:You can't spell very xenophobic douchebags without a-v-e-x.

synthjunkie
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by synthjunkie » 04 Oct 2014, 23:36

Some earlier works by Dead-Or-Alive - You Spin Me Round can also be referred to as Hi-NRG and also as just Eurobeat, and that song was released back in 1984! However, the majority of that sound was during the late 80's. Since there are so many genres I did not include which were not influenced by the Italians, I only decided to list those which Italians actually helped to pioneer or directly related to them in one way or another.

I made a short list of what I would classify as what:

DISCO = 70's, many songs produced with real instruments. Examples: The Supremes - I will Survive

HI-NRG DISCO = late 70's, early to mid 80's, most songs produced with only synths OR synth + real instruments, the first introduction to the "galloping" baseline.
Examples: Donna Summers - I Feel Love, Patrick Cowley - Menergy

ITALO-DISCO = technically, started in the late 70's, not really known officialy as Italo-disco until early to mid 80's, during it's peak-point. completely synthesized. Earlier works incorporated elements of new wave. Usually slower baselines when compared to Hi-NRG Disco. Focused more on melody and baselines than strong vocal work.
Examples: Ken Laszlo - Hey Hey Guy, Den Harrow - Don't Break My Heart, Valerie Dole - Get Closer

DISCO POP/DISCO FUNK = anywhere from early 80's to mid 80's. disco beats made with synths, sometimes real instruments can be included as well, focused more on vocal work than synth work.
Examples: Chaka Khan - Fate, North End - Tee's Happy, Madonna - Holiday, The Whisperers - The Beat Goes On

Hi-NRG POP = mid 80's to late 80's, more popish than Italo-disco, sometimes not as hard baselines or synths compared to Italo-disco. more energetic than DISCO POP/DISCO FUNK. Used a lot during aerobic exercising during the 80's. Focused more on vocal work than synth work. Examples: Irene Cara - What A Feeling, Samantha Gilles - Don't Let Go, Bonnie Tyler - I Need A Hero

Hi-NRG EUROBEAT, AKA Hi-NRG ITALO-DISCO = Hi-NRG DISCO galloping baselines + clapping sound effects.
Examples: Dead-Or-Alive - You Spin Me Round, Michael Davidson - Turn It Up, FCF - Bad Desire, Atrium - Midnight Dancer

FREESTYLE (sometimes known as just FUNK in some parts of the world) = mostly in the 80's, some productions in the 90's as well. A mix of house, italo-disco, and HI-NRG, and Latin sounds. Examples: Shannon - Let The Music Play, Noel - The Question, Donna Williams - True Love Never Dies

EUROBEAT = clapping sound effects put on higher speed so they are not as noticeable and may sometimes be completely absent. Some songs may sound a bit "Eurodance-ish", but focuses on more 80's soundworlds such as sometimes using bells synths, and or such other 80's elements, sometimes some early techno-house and early eurohouse/early italo-dance elements such as techno synths, and pianos.
Examples: Sophie - Stop The Music (80's bell sounds in the riff), Annalise - Summertime (techno sounds in the riff), annerely gordon - luck lucky (piano house sounds), , AND ALL OF TODAY'S EUROBEAT SONGS (a combination of one or more of: Italo-disco vocals and sounds (sometimes calm atmospheres (aishu Eurobeat), HI-NRG influenced powerful choruses, eurohouse pianos, techno sound worlds, eurodance thump baselines)

EARLY TECHNO, EARLY TECHNO HOUSE = late 80's to early 90's. hard synths, such as brasses and leads. dark, powerful atmospheres. more focus on sounds with usually very little vocal work, if any at all.

EARLY EUROHOUSE, EARLY ITALO-HOUSE = as early as the mid 80's, until the early 90's. disco baselines, mixed with elements of piano, completely synthesized.
Examples: Marshall Jefferson - Move Your Body, Black Box - Ride On Time, Marky Mark & The Funky Bunch - Good Vibrations, East Side Beat - Ride Like The Wind (piano mix)

EURODANCE/EUROHOUSE, EARLY ITALO DANCE = early 90's to mid 90's, some productions as far as late 90's as well. maybe sometimes share similarities with early eurohouse and early italohouse with some piano melodies, and sometimes piano sounds are omitted completely and use a harder techno synth sounds. "Thump" sounding basseline. Stronger beats and baselines than early eurohouse or early italo-house, rapping sometimes included. Sometimes sounds like a mix of early techno house fused with early eurohouse or early italo-house, but with vocals and usually rapping as a bonus. Some songs might incorporate a reggae sound to them as well. some songs may be very light, poppish, bouncy & fun as well.
Examples: alexia - me and you (voltage mix [piano sounds]), 2Unlimited - Let the Beat Control Your Body [techno sounds], Whigfield - Saturday Night [bouncy & fun sounds], Ace of Base - The Sign [reggae sounds]

LATE 90'S EARLY 2000'S ITALO-DANCE = heavier sounding than the early italo-dance and eurodance. elements of trance may be present. with a lot of vocoders used on the vocals.
Examples: EIFFEL 65 - Blue, other artists include Gabry Ponte, Gigi D'Agostino

If anybody wants more examples of each, I'm more than happy to provide them as well :) I listen to all of these genres all the time.
Last edited by synthjunkie on 05 Oct 2014, 16:06, edited 34 times in total.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 04 Oct 2014, 23:53

Just finished editing all SEB volumes up to 115. Half-way there!
Will come back to re-edit Avex SEB 1-8 to add Italo-Disco.

EDIT

Somebody called "SE-B.B.D." on Discogs argued that BOTH Italo-Disco and Hi-NRG should be there because of the label "I Love Italodisco NRG" (http://www.discogs.com/label/338791-I-L ... odisco-NRG). I went ahead and removed all mentions of Hi-NRG.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

ryosuke63
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by ryosuke63 » 05 Oct 2014, 00:36

synthjunkie wrote:Disco = 70's, many songs produced with real instruments
Hi-NRG = late 70's, early to mid 80's, most songs produced with only synths OR synth + real instruments, galloping baselines
Italo-disco = 1980-1988, completely synthesized
Eurobeat = 1990-present
Made some amendments to this list. I think you can sum up "hi-NRG" in one self-sufficient style. Italo really only existed from 1980-1988 (even in 1980 it was pretty sparse - I think the only record from that time that could be considered "italo" was Delanua's "Flood / Black Breast"). Some hi-NRG and italo-disco had been referred to as "eurobeat" as early as 1986, but eurobeat in its most recognized form didn't really appear until 1990 with the founding of A-Beat C. The transitional records from 1987-1989 can be considered both "eurobeat" as well as "italo-disco" and/or "hi-NRG" where applicable, to account for this.
Channel Q | YouTube | Twitter
AquaBawks wrote:You can't spell very xenophobic douchebags without a-v-e-x.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 07 Oct 2014, 10:37

I have these old Aventi D'Azzurro magazines. On there songs like Toby Ash- Are You Ready , Dr. Money - Senorita & Teddy Boy- Ready For Love were tagged as Hi-NRG. I would guess because of the mega fast Synths ; that oddly enough, if you compare those BPM to today's actual Eurobeat would seem slow as snails. :D

For me it was HRG Attack's fiirst appearance that kicked Eurobeat into second gear. You alrrady had a taste of thier fast synths when they wrote for TIME records, but it wasn't untill thier own label debuted that you knew they really deserved the name HRG Attack. Gino Caria was also very fond of the faster Hi-NRG synths introduced into Eurobeat and it showed in his compositions at TIME and up to his own idea for a label called Vibration.

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 08 Oct 2014, 04:07

drnrg wrote:For me it was HRG Attack's fiirst appearance that kicked Eurobeat into second gear. You alrrady had a taste of thier fast synths when they wrote for TIME records, but it wasn't untill thier own label debuted that you knew they really deserved the name HRG Attack. Gino Caria was also very fond of the faster Hi-NRG synths introduced into Eurobeat and it showed in his compositions at TIME and up to his own idea for a label called Vibration.
A interesting point you have here.
A reason I'm really fond of Time is that they could go from italo disco-ish slower songs to that crazy and fast streak so characteristic of Rimonti & Cia, also is possible to see some particularities of what would be called later, Vibration.

Older songs can be pretty tricky to classify since their style may sound ambiguous - that's the thing for me, at least.
In early SEBs, for example, I can hear some transition into eurobeat itself. Several tracks (still) sounding a lot like Hi-Nrg and eurobeat was getting its identity done, little by little. Well, we need to put a name on it, ok? I'm not so sure if I'd call it eurobeat anyway (but, oh well, look at the compilation's name…). It's really complicated… as our friends said: one must use their best judgment.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 12 Oct 2014, 08:20

Finished changing all SEB releases and some more stuff that was in my collection (quite a bit of Asia, etc). It's just the top of the iceberg.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

triv
Bad Bad Bad

Post by triv » 17 Oct 2014, 01:50

Yes, the addition of Eurobeat style was a nice surprise. I wrote the request for it about a year ago. Eurobeat is quite a niche style (bad for getting it in as a style) but it has quite a long history and even database representation in Discogs. So I was quite unsure if I'm wasting my hours for writing some sort of an introduction (i.e. trying to get an actual data to prove that it deserves to be a style in Discogs).

You can now buy Eurobeat stuff. Ta-da. Over 6,000+ on sale. (Correctness of course depends who added it but for now time being 99.9% stuff is quite likely correct.)
http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?style=Eurobeat

Here is Italo-Disco/Hi-NRG double tagged stuff from Discogs. I see that there are still Eurobeat stuff among them. Happy hunting if you like. I'm satisfied with updating about 800 releases. I know DiscoMagic must have updated even more than me. (By the way pick the view 'show 250' from the bottom corner)
http://www.discogs.com/search/?style_ex ... act=Hi+NRG

My request if someone is interested to see it. (You need to write a 'formal' request if you want a style addition to Discogs)
http://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/521 ... 3cfcfc97bd

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 17 Oct 2014, 04:21

Hey, welcome to Eurobeat-Prime triv!

Seriously, thanks for the help into recognizing Eurobeat on Discogs! Hi-NRG+Italo-Disco combo was so wrong for the music after 1990.

If I fall upon other Eurobeat releases that hasn't been changed, I'll be changing them for sure. :)
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 17 Oct 2014, 05:45

I've been fixing whatever I come across too. A suprising amount of Euromach stuff was (and is) still under the Italo-Disco+Hi-NRG combo.