If You Were the Director of SEB: 2016 Edition

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 19 Feb 2016, 08:49

-------
Last edited by Anthony McBazooka on 21 Apr 2016, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 20 Feb 2016, 06:36

I'd stop releasing physical copies or just scale it down massively. I'm gonna get corrected on this but I've heard sales figured below 1k or around and Avex are still doing physical releases in this day and age. They must be living in some kind of 90's-bubble.
I don't believe eurobeat will be ever truly popular again unless it evolves to meet the times so I'd end the CD releases, invest WAY more in an online presence, release material on Bandcamp (and more) and promote new and different directions for eurobeat through new artists, new label projects and so on

Not gonna name names but I had a short discussion with a guy from one of the labels and he said the studio is basically kept alive with Avex money. I don't know if that's true for all labels but if they keep to the status quo another surge of popularity won't exactly fall into their laps.
DANGEROSS! GOT TO FESS DE RESS!

Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 20 Feb 2016, 07:56

-------
Last edited by Anthony McBazooka on 21 Apr 2016, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 20 Feb 2016, 15:06

Darkholme wrote:I'd stop releasing physical copies or just scale it down massively. I'm gonna get corrected on this but I've heard sales figured below 1k or around and Avex are still doing physical releases in this day and age. They must be living in some kind of 90's-bubble.
I don't believe eurobeat will be ever truly popular again unless it evolves to meet the times so I'd end the CD releases, invest WAY more in an online presence, release material on Bandcamp (and more) and promote new and different directions for eurobeat through new artists, new label projects and so on

Not gonna name names but I had a short discussion with a guy from one of the labels and he said the studio is basically kept alive with Avex money. I don't know if that's true for all labels but if they keep to the status quo another surge of popularity won't exactly fall into their laps.
I agree with you. Physical releases are kind of unsustainable at this point, it's just burning money. I have no idea why Avex keep pushing this far, like they are digging their own grave with SEB series. They still have some profit though, like Anthony have said above they are keeping 8 different music labels even with poor marketing and bad sells.

About the second part, you don't even need to say... it is obvious. I often think that if it was not for Avex, many of these labels would be long gone, they have no other projects alongside eurobeat and there's no way they could make as much money as they do, together with one of the biggest entertainment companies in Japan. Sad but true, I doubt many of them would continue out of love. I'm sure most this love have faded in these 20 years or so.......

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 20 Feb 2016, 16:24

I like physical copies: It's a tangible object for collection. You can't touch an mp3 file.

That being said, I think it would still be awesome to log onto trackitdown and buy a track (as I use tracktidown for Hardcore music). OR buy an SEB download album (and I guess I could just burn it onto a disc IF it's in 320 kbs and crisp and clear).

Sales must be fine if they can print physical copies AND pay the artists.

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 20 Feb 2016, 16:40

Bonkers wrote:(and I guess I could just burn it onto a disc IF it's in 320 kbs and crisp and clear).
320k are not enough. If there shall be a replacement for physical CDs, it must be "at least" lossless.
Even if 320k are a really good quality, there's a bit of quality missing compared to physical copies. Therefore that'd be a no-go for me.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 21 Feb 2016, 03:17

Darkholme wrote:I'd stop releasing physical copies or just scale it down massively. I'm gonna get corrected on this but I've heard sales figured below 1k or around and Avex are still doing physical releases in this day and age. They must be living in some kind of 90's-bubble.

I like holding CDs in my hands. I like having a collection. CDs are here to stay, despite the reclining sales.
KiraTM wrote:320k are not enough. If there shall be a replacement for physical CDs, it must be "at least" lossless.
Even if 320k are a really good quality, there's a bit of quality missing compared to physical copies. Therefore that'd be a no-go for me.
Indeed. The minute you start to gear yourself a little bit with, at least, a decent pair of headphones, you will notice that you've been missing out. Then, it's not just quality: it's also preservation of music.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 21 Feb 2016, 05:02

Lebon14 wrote:
Indeed. The minute you start to gear yourself a little bit with, at least, a decent pair of headphones, you will notice that you've been missing out. Then, it's not just quality: it's also preservation of music.
i have a Onkyo ES-HF300,but can't spot the difference..nah!
its not like you listen to orchestra,jazz music.....

dance music still sound good with most quality,even 128 kbps! :P

maybe my ear has problem,i must go to doctor!
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 21 Feb 2016, 06:06

Lebon14 wrote:

I like holding CDs in my hands. I like having a collection. CDs are here to stay, despite the reclining sales.

Fucking a amen! I couldn't have said it better. First they stopped the vinyl releases. That's was a kick to the groin to all collectors. Now people want the physical cds to stop? Progression or the latest thing in music; seems to mean not being able to own anything or hold it on your hands. SCREW that! I still collect Cds. Not all of them, but I do go back from TIME to TIME and get older volumes and or vinyls. Pricy? yes, but Eurobeat is like fine whine. It gets better with age.

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 21 Feb 2016, 07:45

I think wanting to have a physical copy for collection purposes is totally fine, but I'd just like to share some numbers.

In 2014 physical sales made up 8% of global music revenue, while downloads got just over 50% while streaming was growing and had reached around 40%. These are global figures, but what's interesting is that CD's in Japan still accounted for 78% of the revenue. So Avex is cowering away in one of the most CD-friendly countries on Earth, aiming the music and the marketing there despite declining sales. I mean this paints a really sad picture. If you didn't get why Avex doesn't bother with CD's outside of Japan, now you know.

What do you guys take from this? I would be really interested to know

I had a feeling this thread would turn into a doomsaying one, but that's obvious since they're honestly the most interesting and engaging discussions on this forum :grin:

eXtaticus
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by eXtaticus » 21 Feb 2016, 10:54

-redacted-
Last edited by eXtaticus on 19 Dec 2017, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 21 Feb 2016, 13:28

-------
Last edited by Anthony McBazooka on 21 Apr 2016, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 21 Feb 2016, 23:36

Anthony McBazooka wrote:It's not that bad to not simply follow the current trends like selling on iTunes, streaming on Spotify, or anything else. But if you refuse to do that, you'd need at least to come up with something else.
The something else IS physical copies . :grin:

I get what you're saying though.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 22 Feb 2016, 05:43

This would be my 6-point course of action for breathing a little more life into the Super Eurobeat franchise:

1. Release all Super Eurobeat albums on the international iTunes stores, not just the special collections.

2. Release all unreleased songs from the non-independent labels, as well as the extended versions of songs that have only appeared in nonstop format, like Dusty's "Hey Ho, Let's Go."

3. Search for fresh, new labels or producers to write songs to appear on the series. Right now, the usual suspects seem to be burnt out, but I'm sure there are plenty of independent dance musicians with fresh ideas that could revitalize the series for a modern audience.

4. Search for new venues through which to promote eurobeat. Para-para, Initial D, Dance Dance Revolution, etc. are long-expired trends, but the genre needs some effective way to spread itself to the right people. Whether it's used in another anime, played at certain clubs that are currently popular, or even spread virally, any form of advertisement will bring new fans aboard.

5. Have an active Twitter page promoting Super Eurobeat, listing clubs where the music may be heard, concert dates and locations, trivia, etc.

6. Promote Super Eurobeat as the longest-running music compilation series in history, smoking even the British Now That's What I Call Music! franchise. It's trivial, I know, but it's still certain to turn at least a few heads.
ImageImage

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 22 Feb 2016, 08:23

eXtaticus wrote:Because Japan's music industry is still thriving in its own CD-driven microclimate, they're scared to change anything that might upset that.
That's a good point right there. The current status quo will harm more than help them tho
#Infinity wrote:3. Search for fresh, new labels or producers to write songs to appear on the series. Right now, the usual suspects seem to be burnt out, but I'm sure there are plenty of independent dance musicians with fresh ideas that could revitalize the series for a modern audience.
The most important point of them all, or at least the one that should be focused the most. With fresh music, eurobeat at least has the chance to go beyond the current fanbase as far as sound goes and that should grease up the marketing machine and make that effort go smoother.
That's why I'm increasingly for some radical changes with staying power