Galaxian Recordings is Back! With a new song ;)

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Galaxian Recordings
Eurobeat Fan

Galaxian Recordings is Back! With a new song ;)

Post by Galaxian Recordings » 23 May 2016, 14:39

Hello to everybody at Eurobeat Prime, how are you all doing this fine Monday? :grin: :grin:

Sorry I have not been active in the forums for over a month now, I've been dealing with a lot of other stuff in life especially college, however, I have been able to get myself on the gear with more music production stuff as I have just released a new song featuring Mercy Angel called "Bootiful Craziness"!
This time, it has a lyric video that I, myself have animated on Adobe Flash! :D And yes, I rap and scream in this song too.

I've been listening to all of your feedback since I first joined the forum, and I've decided to take them into consideration during the production of this track and future ones as well. So, tell me what you think and I look forward to more feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FtGmjN1sK8

Cheers! And look forward to another track coming tomorrow or the next day, featuring a new singer/rapper on the label, Renchi!

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 23 May 2016, 18:18

I will not sugarcoat this comment because I really want you to improve so...

Those vocals are TERRIBLE, trash even, on top of being badly mixed and recorded. There, I said it. I think you should consider making instrumentals or making covers (where acapellas are available) before heading toward making vocal Eurobeat yourself. And when you do, get professional recording gear.

I included "Invincible" in my 2015 doujin & indie mix because I had the Acapella separately so I re-mix the vocals so it doesn't sound terrible.

Anyways, don't get draggued down by my comment. Travis went there too.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 23 May 2016, 23:45

Is....this is a joke? :?

At least blend the vocals with the track. These sound like they've been recorded while the music was playing...rather than recorded and added into the track. I dunno...it just sounds like something made as a joke.

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 24 May 2016, 00:22

Last edited by xiao on 31 Dec 2017, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

Galaxian Recordings
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Galaxian Recordings » 24 May 2016, 01:18

Lebon14: Speaking of instrumentals, I am thinking of releasing some of the instrumental demos for Volume 1 (and Volume 2 even as I'm almost done the instrumentals for those too) on bandcamp at some point. I might make a blog video regarding that. I could improve even more with the mastering so I'm not discouraged by your comment. :grin: However, I'm only confused as to why you think the capturing quality / equipment is bad? The mics that were used to record Mercy Angel's vocals + WeekendWolf, Stipular and whatnot were condenser microphones specifically. By the way I just checked out your remix that had the Invincible song in it and it sounded awesome!! :D :D Nice selection of tracks too!

Bonkers: Well the vocals were recorded while the music was playing, but on headset meaning the backing track isn't captured while the vocals were recorded. The raw (.wav) files of the vocals were added onto the track and EQ'd with effects using Logic Pro 9. I assume you are talking about the mastering + editing quality after the recording, but I could be wrong.

xiao: Thanks for the compliments and criticism on the backing production and the vocal production. The BPM of this song was 157 (157.56 specifically, according to both Logic Pro 9 & VirtualDJ as it does calculate the track's tempo automatically). I shall keep on truckin' and improving :D Look forward to more to come and I might post one of Renchi's tracks tomorrow! :D It's going to be his first release on Galaxian Recordings although his involvement with recording for my album series has been as early as July 2015 (for Keep On Moving, which will be released as a music video next month, so stay tuned for that too!). Also, a cameo of Renchi's OC appears in Nocturne Rave ;) he's the red haired one.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 24 May 2016, 02:04

Look, you need to decide what you want in the forefront of the track: Either the vocals or the instruments...you can't have both.

You need to re-sing the vocals as an acapella, and re-level them in the track with proper mastering/volume levels.

Also, clean everything up...it all sounds like Oscar the Grouch and his family trying to sing in his trashcan.

Galaxian Recordings
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Galaxian Recordings » 24 May 2016, 02:20

Right, actually it was just my vocals that were recorded while the instrumentals were playing, but Mercy Angel did do her vocals acapella before they were added. Sorry for the mistake in my initial response (should have re-read my comment, lol).

But yeah for the Volume 1 release I might consider re-doing at least my parts...and for next time and even the remasters I'll consider what should be prominent in my tracks. Thank you for the clarification.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 24 May 2016, 03:45

This is the reason Eurobeat is performed in Playback fashion. It's just too fast to be sung in real TIME. meaning doing vocals while the song is being played. You gotta do a lot of takes. Sing the chorus first. Save it on file. Open a new file, do the verses and so forth. Then seperately do your female back up vocals. Once you got it all. Then you mix them in with the music.

I did a Eurobeat song some years back. and did the vocals on my own; then I sent them to the artist/professional mixer with the soundtrack and he/she mixed them in. That's how it needs to be done. Then you need to add the effects. Not that crappy "autotune" Pop shit, but echos and so forth. Audacity software is good for that.

Good melos and ideas. "Bootifull Craziness" makes me get the idea of big round beautiful butts, but I don't think your song is about that? Try a hyphen? between Boo-ti-full craziness, so peeps don't think you are singing about butts :P

I kinda like the Halloween them and melody of the song, otherwise I wouldn't bother giving you some constructive criticism.

BTW, Kudos for taking up the task of singing this in real TIME, but it's just not possible. Now you know exactly how your song would sound if you sung it live.

Galaxian Recordings
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Galaxian Recordings » 24 May 2016, 04:10

drnrg: I just checked out a similar tutorial from Anthony McBazooka actually just now! This whole playback fashion technique you're talking about, that's also known as "doubling" right? If that's the case I should let my singers sing at least three takes so I can use at least two?

Lol thanks for your comments on the ideas, and yeah the "Bootiful Craziness" song is supposed to be about ghosts mostly, but I kinda wanted to add some subtle humor by being vague with the lyrics so that the audience can interpret them subjectively and well... I guess that worked for the first time, lol. :P
BTW, Kudos for taking up the task of singing this in real TIME, but it's just not possible. Now you know exactly how your song would sound if you sung it live.
That is a very good way to look at it actually, :O It's definitely true indeed as I have seen one eurobeat musician live as well at a convention!

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 10 Jun 2016, 04:41

Mkay about those vocals, I'm gonna be brutally honest:

Your mixing, your effects, etc, are not the main issue. Anyone telling you to just mix them differently doesn't know what they're talking about. The main issue is your vocalist is no good. She can't sing on the beat, she can't sing in tune, she can't project.

Now, you can autotune to fix the pitch, and you can use various audio editing tricks to fix her timing, but there is no way to fix her weak voice in post. She has to practice. I recommend a voice class, all the tutorials you can find on the internet, anything. Focus on topics like "vocal projection" and "vocal power".

Don't be discouraged though, it's a misconception that you're either naturally a good singer or not. It's a skill that can be learned just like anything else. You just have to be willing to put in the hours to learn and practice.

Galaxian Recordings
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Galaxian Recordings » 10 Jun 2016, 05:18

Speaking of her vocal skills, I did give Mercy Angel some feedback of my own after I got her to record all the songs I released + "Keep On Moving" which is coming soon, and the main thing that I pointed out believe it or not was her timing.

Her projection does have potential though as she does sing with two separate styles. The first one (higher-pitched) you can hear in "Not Like The Others" and the other one (deeper-pitched) can also be heard in "Blazing Heart". But it's a work in progress.

On the brightside, I did show her my instrumentals that she wanted to do for Volume 2 (which will come in maybe August or September, as I still gotta release Volume 1 this month). That should give her some time to practice before shes all ready to record. :idea:

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 10 Jun 2016, 06:09

Galaxian Recordings wrote: Her projection does have potential though as she does sing with two separate styles. The first one (higher-pitched) you can hear in "Not Like The Others" and the other one (deeper-pitched) can also be heard in "Blazing Heart". But it's a work in progress.
That has nothing to do with projection. Also I'm 99% sure you just formant-shifted her, I know what changing your voice placement sounds like. :wink:

Just google vocal coaching and look at some videos, the projection/power thing is hard to understand until you're given an example. Your rap has the same problem of lacking power, it's super common among beginner singers.

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 10 Jun 2016, 07:05

Last edited by xiao on 31 Dec 2017, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 10 Jun 2016, 09:38

xiao wrote:Ace sucks live, and so does everybody else.
No, it's just bad mixing, he sings absolutely fine live.
xiao wrote: Singing classes are excellent. Here, start off imitating a real singer about your age:

Justin McJohnny - Dirty Work
This is such a bad example, the guy really absolutely can't sing.

This is good singing and it's live (I've been there at that concert)! And it would absolutely work on dance music as well, as you can hear on pretty much every Eurobeat song on the SEB series, because most of the songs don't have as much vocal processing as your 'murican bullshit fake singers.

And you should get vocal lessons by an real teacher for opera singing. Not YouTube, not trying to imitate anything that's made in a studio, just get the real thing. Otherwise you will ruin your voice!
That's, if you want to make good music. If you prefer to be successful, just use technical aids like auto-tune, melodyne and stuff and spend your saved money from the singing lessons into marketing.

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 10 Jun 2016, 10:31

Last edited by xiao on 31 Dec 2017, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
🪐