Sales data of Super Eurobeat series

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Jay
God of Romance

Re: Sales data of Super Eurobeat series

Post by Jay » 02 Jan 2018, 09:46

Tiger wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 07:58 Thanks for the research. It is appreciated.

I noticed for most series that it starts out good but then dwindles down which explains why they ended at the times they did I suppose.

I've heard that SEB 100 and SEB 110 were the most selling and still is true it seems.
There is a lot more to the charts than just this. All that proves is eurobeat was a fad in its early days, which we all know that it was.

We can concur that something significant happened starting at Vol. 113. Before that point, the albums were consistently in the Top 50. Physical sales and the sales ranking of the next 16 albums declined gradually but were still selling enough to remain in the Top 100, with the exception of Vol. 120 of course.

Then, it appears something major happened again at Vol. 131. From that point on, the albums hardly ever broke the Top 100, and in fact were beginning to teeter closer to Rank 200. The incredibly poor sales of the 130s in comparison to the 120s is the most startling thing in my eyes. What happened during the 130s to cause such a collapse in the sales rank?

I did not get into the series until the mid-140s myself, but when I backtracked to listen to some of the songs in the 130s I found them to be not all that interesting - in fact, stale at worse. Two of the three labels (Time and Delta) were not in good shape, in particular. Perhaps Avex was aware of this and this led to the arrival of the other labels to inject some fresh blood and excitement into the series.

One other interesting thing about the sales charts in my view is that the rankings for the albums in the most recent decade (240s) are not entirely dissimilar to the past hundred albums! Yes, physical sales declined drastically over that period, but that is a reflection of people's digital listening habits nowadays. If we can find whatever song we want without getting off our computer chair, why buy the physical album? It can even be argued that eurobeat could have been as popular today as it was 10 years ago had Avex embraced digital listening habits and its international listeners. The consistency in the sales rankings between Vol. 131 and Vol. 241 (a super long period of time) confirms the validity of this.

I still firmly believe that Avex never 100% grasped this change in listening habits, which boggles my mind, and it goes back to my point in the Vol. 250 thread that Avex decided to stick to archaic marketing strategies instead, ultimately leading to the series' demise.
Bonkers wrote: 16 Dec 2017, 15:59 Anyone notice the non-stops have the most sales?? Hmmm.....
This is actually incorrect.

The sales of non-stops that occurred between the decades (e.g. Vol. 113, Vol. 143, Vol. 165... basically any non-stop album number that does not end in a '0') are not dissimilar to the regular albums in the same decade - in fact, in most cases, these non-stop albums sold worse than the regular albums.

And because I will likely be told that I am making things up, here are some statistics that I quickly calculated:

Code: Select all

Super Eurobeat 130s

Super Eurobeat Vol. 133:             2,023 copies
Super Eurobeat Vol. 137:             2,417 copies
Average Sales of Other 130s Albums:  2,656 copies

-------------------------------------------------

Super Eurobeat 140s

Super Eurobeat Vol. 143:             1,552 copies
Super Eurobeat Vol. 146:             2,555 copies
Average Sales of Other 140s Albums:  2,010 copies

Super Eurobeat 160s

Super Eurobeat Vol. 165:             2,374 copies
Average Sales of Other 160s Albums:  1,913 copies

Super Eurobeat 190s

Super Eurobeat Vol. 197:             903 copies
Super Eurobeat Vol. 198:             818 copies
Super Eurobeat Vol. 199:             799 copies
Average Sales of Other 190s Albums:  1,021 copies
As you can see, the only decade I listed above where the non-stop album sold more than the average of the other albums in the same decade was the 160s. The regular albums clearly outperformed the non-stops in the 130s and 190s. They were statistically similar in the 140s.

If you are talking about the XX0 albums, well, what do you expect? The XX0 albums have always sold well since they are meant to be a celebration of the songs in the previous decade or a celebration of 'classics.' They are marketed differently to non-XX0 albums as well. I think it is unfair and almost silly to compare them and concur that non-stops sell better, keeping my above analysis in mind.

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Re: Sales data of Super Eurobeat series

Post by Crockett » 02 Jan 2018, 16:06

Thank you for putting That's Eurobeat.

Conclusion, the same numbers characteristic for the oldest Eurobeat period represented by this series haven't changed in the Avex Trax era.

Neither significant major studio team, producer hasn't boost his market share, position, renown and couldn't depend on compilations that in the best moments had barely 50 000 - 90 000 sold copies.

Simple mathematics. You weren't able to reach millions of sold records in Japan, in America, in Europe, whatever it was 1980's, 1990's or 2000's if you didn't have own discography.

Vinyl singles, CD singles, albums, first of all count for total sale result of a record company or an artist. So what exactly released Asia, Time and A.Beat-C. because they could yet.

It's speachless so, how little was market share and position of labels established in later 90's, Hi-NRG Attack, Delta, Vibration, SCP.

They barely had some vinyls and besides all what they could in the new reality was to negotiate a small piece of compilation with others.

And a few years later in 2001 it was going to break.

For example how step by step made it Dave Rodgers. When SEB still been pretty weak, CD album in 1992: