Super Eurobeat Vol. 249

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Re: Super Eurobeat Vol. 249

Post by Lebon14 » 08 Jun 2018, 16:50

KiraTM wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 19:16 Well, originally I wanted to ask something. I usually import my SEBs through Amazon JP since avex banned some albums from export. Amazon can't ship this album to me when I try to order it. I also want to avoid a forwarding service.
Does anyone know a marketplace that ships this album to Germany/EU?
Sorry to break it to you but, besides HMV Japan with stupid shipping cost, all other options you have on eBay and the like... are all technically forwarders taking a huge cut on the price and will gladly add another cut on the shipping. So, something you pay 26 euros and maybe 32-33 euros total with shipping, you'll now be paying an easy 40-45 euros and even more. I have my personal forwarder (I still can give you his details - not like he wants to stay hidden or anything) and his cost (read: commission) has been low (an order online is usually 5$US). And I have been collecting the 240s like that since Amazon need a return or something to improve their packaging...

So, yeah.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 08 Jun 2018, 17:50

#Infinity wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 07:18I don't listen to eurobeat because I'm an obsessive Japanophile who's fluent in Japanese and visits the country constantly, I appreciate it simply for what the music has to offer on its own – lively synthesizers, propulsive melodies, and a huge sense of fun.
Finally somebody who focus on Eurobeat due to the music sound, not these often childish elements of culture. 8)
#Infinity wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 03:59Norma consistently has limp, nasal, off-tune vocals. Time and time again, they kill all of the aishu tracks she performs that should have been handed to somebody with more control over her voice. Even before it was revealed Norma Sheffield wasn't actually Francesca Contini, I was simply never a fan of her.
The problem with her is simply the endless discography, that's one of the longest projects. Next parts of good movies, good video games, bring on the originals bad renown when a classic begins to compare with worse continuation. But it concerns significantly to the music industry.

According to the japanese reviews Norma Sheffield has been nominated as the queen of aishu Eurobeat in the first half of 90's and this was her golden age. What for they made next dozens of songs especially in 2000's ? Ask Dave Rodgers. :)

Anyway are "Broken Heart", "Sweet Heaven", "Memories" really unacceptable and poorly performed ? I guess there aren't many fans in Japan who would deny that these tracks were big hits back in 1993/1994.

In my opinion we shouldn't be that much critical, because our single personal taste doesn't create and can't demolish once established position of the artist.

It's a little boring already to explain how certain songs and artists became so special without discovering their real names. ;)

Recently I read a comment on FB how Dave Rodgers decided to be a copycat of Mega NRG Man instead of keep his vocal in the best, his natural range from 80's and early 90's. This opinion doesn't change a lot, right ? ;)

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 08 Jun 2018, 20:02

Am I suppose to do the New LAWSON WEB registration on HMV?

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 08 Jun 2018, 20:54

vinyl12 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 16:19
Lebon14 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 12:45 Considered from SEB 197.
euto wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 14:24 :???:
Disc-2 Tr.11 "I DREAM OF YOU / YO SHINE "

isn't SEB202 ,but SEB212
Thanks for making corrections.
#Infinity wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 15:53 They’re obviously confusing it with “CooloveR”, another Linda Ongarelli song that opened an SEB album with an installment number ending in 2.
I was astonished and also a little bit scared that you read my mind. Yes, that is how I made that mistake. I loved the both songs back then.
//double takes at this for a second
//looks up stuff
Huh. SCP credited "I Dream of You" to the Irene name here and there. (it's still 'Yo Shine' on Bandcamp, but Spotify and Juno have it as 'Irene')

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 08 Jun 2018, 23:14

Crockett wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 17:50
#Infinity wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 03:59Norma consistently has limp, nasal, off-tune vocals. Time and time again, they kill all of the aishu tracks she performs that should have been handed to somebody with more control over her voice. Even before it was revealed Norma Sheffield wasn't actually Francesca Contini, I was simply never a fan of her.
The problem with her is simply the endless discography, that's one of the longest projects. Next parts of good movies, good video games, bring on the originals bad renown when a classic begins to compare with worse continuation. But it concerns significantly to the music industry.

According to the japanese reviews Norma Sheffield has been nominated as the queen of aishu Eurobeat in the first half of 90's and this was her golden age. What for they made next dozens of songs especially in 2000's ? Ask Dave Rodgers. :)

Anyway are "Broken Heart", "Sweet Heaven", "Memories" really unacceptable and poorly performed ? I guess there aren't many fans in Japan who would deny that these tracks were big hits back in 1993/1994.
I don't care which artists are most popular and during which era. For what it's worth, I'm really not a fan of a good chunk of A-Beat C's early '90s material in general, regardless of the singer, but Norma's success back then was really more due to lack of competition than anything else. The Italo era was long over, but other labels hadn't yet established themselves, nor had the eurobeat genre itself even evolved into something completely distinct from the past. There's a reason Norma's music has aged so poorly.

However much you try to call Sheffield's early work "big hits", they're still dull schlock to me because Chiara's half-assed vocal delivery spoils whatever earnest, somber tone they're trying to set. Maybe her vocal style just translated well to Japanese audiences, I don't know, but I'm sure not going to pretend I enjoy her because she was important in establishing aishu eurobeat as a mainstay.

In my opinion, if you want the '90s aishu style done right, look no further than Christine's early songs. She may not have gotten nearly the amount of attention back then as she clearly deserved, but not only was her voice honest-to-goodness on-tune and sincerely invested in what it was speaking about, the songs themselves were excellently written, both in terms of melodies and lyrics. "Story of My Life" is my favourite eurobeat song of all time thanks to its impeccably emotional writing and musical development, on top of Cristina Tosi being the absolute perfect fit for the song. "Because the Night" is also in my top 10, as though it's more simplistic than "Story", it's still absolutely masterful in its choice of notes, progressions, instrument riffs, and brilliant lyrical details like "sitting by the light on my tv" and "I wonder why you're not here to hold me", which put me directly in Christine's shoes and feel the heartbreak she's going through in a way Norma never could in any of her songs.
In my opinion we shouldn't be that much critical, because our single personal taste doesn't create and can't demolish once established position of the artist.
Norma may have technically been one of the primary architects of aishu eurobeat songs like "Story of My Life", but her early work is really nothing but an unfinished blueprint of something that artists like Christine and Melissa White would realize a million times more clearly.
It's a little boring already to explain how certain songs and artists became so special without discovering their real names. ;)

Recently I read a comment on FB how Dave Rodgers decided to be a copycat of Mega NRG Man instead of keep his vocal in the best, his natural range from 80's and early 90's. This opinion doesn't change a lot, right ? ;)
That's not nearly the same thing as deceiving people into thinking one singer is somebody completely different. Just because Giancarlo was more influenced by Tomas as eurobeat started to speed up does not mean he wasn't still assertive about his public identity as well.
ImageImage

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 09 Jun 2018, 18:09

#Infinity wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 23:14 I'm sure not going to pretend I enjoy her because she was important in establishing aishu eurobeat

I'm really not a fan of a good chunk of A-Beat C's early '90s material in general

In my opinion, if you want the '90s aishu style done right, look no further than Christine's early songs.
I'm only saying that the artist who was among very few faces seriously promoting Super Eurobeat, deserves for more respect as some icon of the genre. You don't have to listen her discography.

Surely you can't remember this period at all because you're presenting really impassive attitude, almost against the first and the second boom of Eurobeat.

Comparison of the italo - japanese 80's and 90's market with worldwide pop music, american reality or with modern Eurobeat is nonsense. You seem to be displeased these frauds, selection of vocals so I feel you judge the past very harmful and unjust.

However can you tell the same about fans who bought millions of records back then and till now they enjoy and don't need to memorise Eurobeat like encyclopedia ? These people never been disappointed Eurobeat specificity, big major labels and what you called a lack of competition.

Eurobeat achieved its multiple successes thanks to handful of producers and artists who have been on the scene more 10 years before anybody heard the names of SCP team.

Christine is awesome and also new generation singer with lower contribution on a side CD series.

For you Norma Sheffield is a great failure and wrong decision of the most respected Eurobeat producer, but for exclusive japanese Eurobeat community she has become the unique figure, not the voice of many random aliases or a number on the tracklist.

Please forgive me, it just reminds me a talk of a layman, how these "better talents" must waited until 1996 and finally launched "real" Eurobeat after several insignificant years when supposedly nothing important happened. ;)
#Infinity wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 23:14That's not nearly the same thing as deceiving people into thinking one singer is somebody completely different. Just because Giancarlo was more influenced by Tomas as eurobeat started to speed up does not mean he wasn't still assertive about his public identity as well.
Exactly like you play down Norma Sheffield, no one is forced to praise Dave Rodgers monotonous solo career. It was just an example, how a single opinion has no impact on once formed renown.

Hopefully incoming new Eurobeat project in 2019 will include good aishu songs. ;)

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 16 Jun 2018, 08:13

The cover looks surprising! :P

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 16 Jun 2018, 14:48

I was hoping more from the 211-219 additions would be picked. Maybe they are saving those for 250.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 16 Jun 2018, 19:10

Bonkers wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 14:48 I was hoping more from the 211-219 additions would be picked. Maybe they are saving those for 250.
They won't because, if you look at the cover, SEB210-220 are supposedly included.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 17 Jun 2018, 01:12

Lebon14 wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 19:10
Bonkers wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 14:48 I was hoping more from the 211-219 additions would be picked. Maybe they are saving those for 250.
They won't because, if you look at the cover, SEB210-220 are supposedly included.
SEB 4 U is on here. But ya, I guess they felt there wasn't that many tracks were pulling from the 2011 era. Boom Shaka Laka, Bye Bye Girl,Baby Come Back, Dance Dance Let You Go, Touch Me, Time To Say Bye Bye, House of Fire, Boom Boom Scream, and many other good tracks

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 18 Jun 2018, 22:01

On a good note:

Your order has been packed and will be picked up by the delivery company during their next collection.

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 20 Jun 2018, 18:37

And I still have to wait for money. This is the first SEB since 237 I couldn't afford in time. :cry:

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 24 Jun 2018, 15:39

CD 2 is mixed pretty well actually, reminds me of the older Best of xxxx mixes.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 24 Jun 2018, 20:09

I didn't listen to it very well (only listened to it once, with other people in the car talking), but CD 1 isn't mixed half bad either! Good stuff!

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 24 Jun 2018, 21:50

SuperEuroJimmy wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 20:09 I didn't listen to it very well (only listened to it once, with other people in the car talking), but CD 1 isn't mixed half bad either! Good stuff!
CD 1 is just quick edits, no mixing, except for that transition between Frontal Impact into Pararapa Dance! I will say the editing was nice! :D