Eurobeat Production Problems

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

Eurobeat Production Problems

Post by Bonkers » 18 May 2019, 22:14

This convo is simply about the problems in the production techniques of eurobeat. Though this genre is full of fun and great tunes, the production value simply cannot be ignored. Below are some guiding questions to discuss about

How knowledgeable about dance music engineering were/are these producers?

Why is it some tracks from the same label have excellent, crisp mastering, while others have poor sound mastering?

Why is it there is very little bass drum, or bass in general, in eurobeat music, when many other genres at the same time were full of strong bass, even throughout the 2000s-2010s?

Even throughout the 2000s, 2010s, why was mastering still so poorly done, even from the same label that put out a crisp, clean track?

Why was "Tiger Mask" even sent to Avex when they knew the volume of the vocals was poor?
Last edited by Bonkers on 21 May 2019, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Re: Eurobeat Production Problems

Post by Rain197 » 20 May 2019, 04:11

Nick Festari about Tiger Mask on discord :
I think it's a mastering issue
I didn't make the mastering process
it was the first time that Avex asked us not to master the songs
so I probably made a mistake of volume evaluation

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 23 May 2019, 18:18

Bonkers wrote: 18 May 2019, 22:14Why is it there is very little bass drum, or bass in general, in eurobeat music, when many other genres at the same time were full of strong bass, even throughout the 2000s-2010s?
Maybe because it is eurobeat and not dance music? It's not derived from house music but italo disco, which most of the time had fine drums and bass sounds, just like eurobeat :grin:

norinorinori
Bad Bad Bad

Post by norinorinori » 25 May 2019, 23:14

I've noticed the same in terms of difference in mastering/mixing in a few songs throughout the series. Sometimes a song sounds too quiet and soft, other times it's muddled and sounds like the lows are cranked all the way up.

I don't agree re: perceived lack of bass; it seems that most of the songs I come back to have some sort of bass element to drive the song. I've only come across one song (somewhere in the 190's?) that actually struck me as to how lacking in bass it was.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 25 May 2019, 23:53

norinorinori wrote: 25 May 2019, 23:14 I've noticed the same in terms of difference in mastering/mixing in a few songs throughout the series. Sometimes a song sounds too quiet and soft, other times it's muddled and sounds like the lows are cranked all the way up.

I don't agree re: perceived lack of bass; it seems that most of the songs I come back to have some sort of bass element to drive the song. I've only come across one song (somewhere in the 190's?) that actually struck me as to how lacking in bass it was.
I will say a lot of newer eurobeat is "up to date". Lolita - Hurry Up Hurry Up is a prime example though of no bass in the track. I'm mostly referring to older eurobeat, and why it's so muddy, and then you get a track and it's crystal clear! It's just wonky how an artist just sends it on to be released without making sure everything sounds right.

norinorinori
Bad Bad Bad

Post by norinorinori » 26 May 2019, 00:24

Bonkers wrote: 25 May 2019, 23:53
norinorinori wrote: 25 May 2019, 23:14 I've noticed the same in terms of difference in mastering/mixing in a few songs throughout the series. Sometimes a song sounds too quiet and soft, other times it's muddled and sounds like the lows are cranked all the way up.

I will say a lot of newer eurobeat is "up to date". Lolita - Hurry Up Hurry Up is a prime example though of no bass in the track. I'm mostly referring to older eurobeat, and why it's so muddy, and then you get a track and it's crystal clear! It's just wonky how an artist just sends it on to be released without making sure everything sounds right.
Agree with you there, although most Lolita tracks aren't among my favorites. The bass isn't enough to permeate through you like most good dance music does. A song like that needs stellar vocals and lyrics, a catchy melody and/or great synths to make up for the dull mix.