The Evolution of Eurobeat

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
King_Rob
Bad Bad Bad

The Evolution of Eurobeat

Post by King_Rob » 10 Jul 2005, 19:42

I have not been listening to Eurobeat for very long - I started listening in the early 150's, but I have gone back and downloaded some of the older Eurobeat albums to try to find new material to listen to. Is it just me or is there really a big difference between the newest Eurobeat and the old? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the older Eurobeat, but I feel like it has evolved a lot as we approach the 160's.

For example, 158 sounds way more "hard-ass" than 138. Nothing on 138 can even touch Kingo King'O Beat or Superguy in my opinion. But by the same token, 138 sounds edgier than say 107. I can't really put my finger on why this is. Is it that the songs flow better?, is it that the recording quality is better?, are the artists just getting more creative to make better music? Maybe its just that I began my Eurobeat experience in the 150's and I just subconsciously dismiss the older albums as being some how lesser for the sole reason of being of an older time. Anyway, I just wanted a Eurobeat Expert off here to help me identify this difference I'm hearing...or to completely prove me wrong..one or the other.

Jjb
Site Admin

Post by Jjb » 10 Jul 2005, 23:09

One thing going for the SEB15x generation is we did get a lot of experimentation with trance'o-beat (cody - back to you, karen - love forever etc), slower disco, and some very original songs with unique tempos (superguy/kingo king'o beat), most of which I've liked a _lot_.

But the series as a whole has had lots and ups and downs, and gems amoungst the zirconias.

I think one problem is you're comparing the current flavor to some of the weakest of the older volumes, Infact 10x/13x/15x have been some of the weaker generations overall, in my opinion.

Try these sometime:
Virginia Toy - Let Me Go (109)
Lou Grant - Always On My Mind (124)
Madison - Flash In The Night (124)
D.Essex - Music For Hire (124)
Pizza Girl - Bang (139)
Oda - Face To Face (144)
David Ropa - Stormy Night (147)
Mad Cow - I Want Your Balalaika (147)
Dark Angels - Right Now (147)

I've been sitting infront of this reply window trying to put my thoughts into words regarding your specific question for a while now, the evolution of eurobeat. but I realized I don't quite have the specific musical knowledge to identify the traits of one particular song over another, it's a very subjective thing anyway, e.g. if you a fan of vocal trance you might be biased towards the 150's no matter what.

Mostly all I can say is, of course as something progresses it gets more complicated/refined, but I'd take in a bigger sample before declaring much from SEB15x as being particularily "edgy" or notable.

Jion

Post by Jion » 11 Jul 2005, 03:04

Jjb wrote:I think one problem is you're comparing the current flavor to some of the weakest of the older volumes, Infact 10x/13x/15x have been some of the weaker generations overall, in my opinion.
From my point of view, I've been listening to SEB since about the 80s to now and to me, the 150's have been the best series. The music was so much more original because labels such as SCP, Time and Vibration have been pushing old time guys, A-Beat C, Delta, and HI-NRG Attack to upgrade or lose some footing. You've noticed it this series. The HI-NRG Attack songs have been pretty much the same thing you've heard from the guys and the fact that not all of their songs have been so well recieved is a showcase of the fact that HRG needs to change it up a little bit. SCP has become a polarizing factor to all fans. Either you love them for bringing out music that can be so different or you dislike them because they aren't putting the happy go lucky stuff such as Kiki & Kika/Fancy that they always used to put out on Euromach in favor of Ace, Fastway, Van T.K., Pamsy songs, which are slightly slower and more impactful and powerful. Vibration has changed their style only slightly but even then you still see some innovation from them. Delta is perhaps the most versitle of all the labels as they are always trying something new with some artist, alas some of the Delta songs (especially those by Clara Moroni) are becoming too frequent and similar. A-Beat C, one time leading publisher of Electrorock songs (such as J.Storm, Powerful T., Ace Warrior, Spock style), is facing extreme competition in that category by SCP and Delta (Not For Sale, Stormy Night and Right Now are excellent examples of this). Taking a cue from SCP and Delta, A-Beat C has started to move in the Trancebeat style. Time, as you can see, seems to be suffering slightly in trying to be innovative. The old saying, "if it aint broke don't fix it" seems to be their motto a lot and quite a few songs of theirs are sounding too similar. Though they seem to be picking it up quite a bit with amazing songs such as Superguy, John N' Mary Dance and Eternal Simphony. While everyone keeps saying 140s was the best, I believe in the end, 150's will be most remembered for the era in which Eurobeat trully changed. This is why the 150's is my favorite era.
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 11 Jul 2005, 04:21

I came into eurobeat in the late 140's to start out with (at the time, I was a pretty casual fan).

Anyway, I listen to a LOT of the older stuff (mid era) in eurobeat, usually 70's to the 90's SEBs. I like the newer stuff, so don't get me wrong. Personally, I like[d] the eurobeat CDs with just A-Beat C, Time, and Delta more than the newer ones with SCP, Vibration, and High-NRG Attack. (I would like to note, I never want SCP to leave; they're great)! A-Beat C is still, and always will be, my favorite company! Simple as that.

The sound kind of does get "harder" and more electronically advanced (or) different sounding as the series goes on. My opinion is they should go back to the classical sound, or find a nice median. However, some of the older songs were beyond their years. It's kind of the same way reversed too. Some of the newer songs sound older. It's all the person's/listener's opinion.
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

KitsuneStar
Eurobeat Fan

Post by KitsuneStar » 11 Jul 2005, 05:37

70s to 90s.... aka the "Initial D era". This doesn't really surprise me, as most of the songs for the first/second season of Initial D came from this era. While there were a lot of great songs (Volume 76 still stands as my favorite megamix ever), I think it can be a little overrated as well.

the 140s.... the 140s gave us the consistantly strongest albums....though I'm wanting to consider 139 as part of them (for giving us West End Guy and Stop Your Self Control)

and the 150s....well, the 150s were quite hit-or-miss for me, due to their experimental nature, but I do hope that in the end, the 150s will be known for the meteoric re-rise of SCP and the almost non-stop stream of great tracks they put out (Sticky, Tricky, and Bang! notwithstanding..), and not for Freddy Rodgers, the first Queen 26 track, and a remix of Dragostea Din Tei.

When the 150s hit, they hit big. When they didn't, they crashed and burned miserably.

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 11 Jul 2005, 07:09

Yeah, personally I like the 70's to 90's and the 140's to 150's (basically, were SEB stands now). I also am a fan of some of the 130 albums, later 120 albums, and later 110 albums. My favorite eurobeat music so far has come from the 70's to 90's and 140's to 150's, along with the Maharaja HI-NRG Revolution CDs. Good stuff!
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 11 Jul 2005, 07:52

8) I will always think the 90's were the best for me. Labels like Asia,Flea,F.C.F,AbeatC old HRG Atack and of course TIME were the best. I call it the Macho vocal years. Mauro Farina,Dave Rodgers, Mike Hammer(don't know artist's real name) and Gino Caria songs were all good.
The new Pop Eurobeat sound is growing on me. Like Emotions by SDtephy Martini are great, but then I hear Toby Ash-Not This Time or Mega NRG Man's Sex All Over The Phone and it's back to my older cds

King_Rob
Bad Bad Bad

Post by King_Rob » 11 Jul 2005, 17:59

While everyone keeps saying 140s was the best, I believe in the end, 150's will be most remembered for the era in which Eurobeat trully changed. This is why the 150's is my favorite era.
I completely agree with this. A lot of the songs from the 150's seemed so in my face and I loved it. They rocked my face off. Seems like there was a whole lot of experimentation and ground-breaking from the late 130's to 159..especially during the 150's. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but it seems like the 150's incorporated the electric guitar much more than ever before. I've heard songs from older era's that used the electric guitar here and there, but it seems like they just went crazy with it in the 150's - I like it a lot.

One thing going for the SEB15x generation is we did get a lot of experimentation with trance'o-beat (cody - back to you, karen - love forever etc), slower disco, and some very original songs with unique tempos (superguy/kingo king'o beat), most of which I've liked a _lot_.

But the series as a whole has had lots and ups and downs, and gems amoungst the zirconias.

I think one problem is you're comparing the current flavor to some of the weakest of the older volumes, Infact 10x/13x/15x have been some of the weaker generations overall, in my opinion.

Try these sometime:
Virginia Toy - Let Me Go (109)
Lou Grant - Always On My Mind (124)
Madison - Flash In The Night (124)
D.Essex - Music For Hire (124)
Pizza Girl - Bang (139)
Oda - Face To Face (144)
David Ropa - Stormy Night (147)
Mad Cow - I Want Your Balalaika (147)
Dark Angels - Right Now (147)
I'm going to check these songs out. I downloaded the entire 140's a couple of days ago and I will try to get 124. I've heard "Right Now" by Dark Angels and I do like it a lot. It doesn't sound like other Eurobeat songs at all - loved it. I guess I am more into the "harder" songs that are in your face. Maybe the 150's catered to this more than the older albums? Like I said before I loved the electric guitar that this era brought. Or maybe I am just looking over some of the older songs like this. Give me some more suggestions on older songs!

Rave Dodgers
Euro To B

Post by Rave Dodgers » 10 Aug 2005, 11:38

I would say the SEB releases are currently heading into a "driving music" phase, which had been growing steadily.

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

eurobeat evolution

Post by newfield » 27 Aug 2005, 13:31

When sales go down we try new directions,so if someone go more trance it's becoz trance comp do sell a lot.
Sometimes we do very different kind of stuff,"Emotions" is a poprock tune with some Journey(the band) inspiration,myself taking off the dust on my guitar.
"Right now" is born coz at the time I was listening to Evanescence and Linkin Park.
I created Queen 26 to do some kind of dancepop,Kylie and Britney style.

You guys need to understand that sometimes it can be boring to do the same style and we need some musical vacation.
The second point is that people from avex are so confused and don't know what to do to get eurobeat back in japan!
Some times I feel like driving in the dark,no lights on!

Jion

Re: eurobeat evolution

Post by Jion » 27 Aug 2005, 14:37

newfield wrote:When sales go down we try new directions,so if someone go more trance it's becoz trance comp do sell a lot.
Sometimes we do very different kind of stuff,"Emotions" is a poprock tune with some Journey(the band) inspiration,myself taking off the dust on my guitar.
"Right now" is born coz at the time I was listening to Evanescence and Linkin Park.
I created Queen 26 to do some kind of dancepop,Kylie and Britney style.

You guys need to understand that sometimes it can be boring to do the same style and we need some musical vacation.
The second point is that people from avex are so confused and don't know what to do to get eurobeat back in japan!
Definately what I recommend Mr. Newfield, keep going with the Queen 26 songs. They have been absolutely phenominal and absolutely incredible. More rockish style songs with guitars blazing and some fast trance beats mixed in. Some more poprock songs like Emotions, more Mako/Nando/Eurobeat Future songs (that artist and style is amazing to listen to!) and as much as I love Clara, please lets not overuse her. One or two songs per SEB is fine but when theres three, it really diminishes her voice. What would be cool to see is Clara doing a trancebeat song or a very rock style song (like Take Me To Your Heart). Definately the Niko songs have been well recieved and I just feel the music needs to go into a more powerful, impactful direction and every so often slowing things down with some discostyle and dancestyle music. Bring back Jean Love and make more Cody songs please ^_^

Jjb
Site Admin

Post by Jjb » 27 Aug 2005, 15:53

What redtarzanboy said,

Except I somewhat substitute Queen 26 for Dark Angels, "Right Now" was such an awesome and powerful song, with great production value.

Also it's linkin park style makes it a nice song to slowly convert people into eurobeat fans :P

oresama-chan
Eurohero

Re: eurobeat evolution

Post by oresama-chan » 27 Aug 2005, 16:02

newfield wrote:The second point is that people from avex are so confused and don't know what to do to get eurobeat back in japan!
Quite a few Japanese longstanding eurolisteners are lamenting that the parapara-oriented production and sales strategy by avex has spoiled the image of eurobeat and brought it into disrepute.

In fact people on the street have the impression that eurobeat is sorta music for punk kids, yobs or widgies to dance parapara to, and so they are unwiling to listen to eurobeat, even as there are tons of lower BPM eurobeat songs as well which have an excellent melody. It's a shame. :( [/quote]

Jayveemon

Post by Jayveemon » 27 Aug 2005, 16:37

Man, Emotions has to be the single best eurobeat song to have come out in the 150's, the amazing vocals just seem to the the accompanying music so perfect and as for the Queen 26 songs... They are just so frickin' awesome, I pray that we see much more. I also like the way the recent Kevin Johnson songs have been going, Don't Say Goodbye was great because it sounds like the tracks from the old days like from Rick Astley. And I love Clara's voice but Avex is over doing with by having like at least 3-4 of her songs @_@

Jion

Post by Jion » 27 Aug 2005, 16:51

Jayveemon wrote:Man, Emotions has to be the single best eurobeat song to have come out in the 150's, the amazing vocals just seem to the the accompanying music so perfect and as for the Queen 26 songs... They are just so frickin' awesome, I pray that we see much more. I also like the way the recent Kevin Johnson songs have been going, Don't Say Goodbye was great because it sounds like the tracks from the old days like from Rick Astley. And I love Clara's voice but Avex is over doing with by having like at least 3-4 of her songs @_@
I wouldn't say best but its definately one of the best in the 150s