Whose English pronunciation is good or bad?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
oresama-chan
Eurohero

Whose English pronunciation is good or bad?

Post by oresama-chan » 14 Aug 2005, 03:58

Hi there,

Some people here are saying that eurobeat isn't marketable outside Japan 'cause most of eurobeat artists are Italian and therefore their English should sound somewhat strange to the ears of native speakers of English. Is that true :?:

I'd like to know how their English sounds to you native speakers apart from funny expressions and grammatical deviations of lyrics. I know Annerley Gordon and Emanuela Gubinelli are English/American native, so let's count them out.

Midnite Storm
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Midnite Storm » 14 Aug 2005, 04:53

Me and my friend can't get over the fact that Manuel pronounces "rhythm" as "REETHIM" in "Lets go, Come on". As for others, there are quite a bit to name, Dave, Matt, and Dustway are huge culprits of bad grammar, and mispronunciation. I noticed one of the best english singers is Tomas.

oresama-chan
Eurohero

Post by oresama-chan » 14 Aug 2005, 08:41

Thanx for the comment, Midnite Storm. :D
um, Thomas Martin's pronunciation is good. I'll keep that in mind.

Still waiting for more of your comments, specially on following vocalists.
Giordano Gambogi (aka Lou Turner, Mr.M, Time force)
Elena Ferretti (aka Sophie, Helena, Alexis)
Elena Gobbi (aka Lolita, Verginelle)
Alessandra Mirka Gatti (aka Domino)
Davide Budriesi (aka Kevin Johnson)
Maurizio De Jorio (aka D.Essex, Niko, Oda)
Cloudio Magnani (aka Mad Max)
Clara Moroni (aka Cherry, Leslie Parrish, Suzy Lazy)

Thank you. :wink:

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 14 Aug 2005, 13:27

Davide di Marcantonio. We Drink Ritalin. Enough said.

Most of the ones you specifically asked for are pretty good. Alessandra and Elena F. have weird accents at times, but pronounce everything correctly. I don't remember anything by Giordano well enough.

HRG songs tend to botch pronounciations a lot, though.

And for the most part, SCP tends to be dead on (although Christian (Ace) and Luca (Van T.K.) get iffy at times). Evelina's really active in making sure everything is pronounced correctly.

But, yeah. Marcantonio. Just... Not good English.

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 14 Aug 2005, 19:40

It's Tomas Marin, not Thomas Martin

His English is good. I guess it could be said he's improved greatly over the years.
When he ennunciates, his English sounds fine. When he doesn't, well, it sounds like a baby talking.... ^.^'
It sounds so cute though! *girly sqeal*

In general, I'd have to say that Gino Caria didn't do half bad with English, and his son Giacomo is doing good (so far) as well!
Maurizio De Jorio sings in English rather well too! I've yet to hear any real bad grammar or anything. However, he needs to ennunciate.

I think it generally depends on the song, and it's lyrics; that's were the artists have the problem.

I wouldn't see the bad speach to be the main problem for not selling it to the public of the United States, and North America in general. I would assume the problem would be the lack of interest in techno/trance/dance/DJ/house music in general. The general problem is this; lack of interest in the product. If North America doesn't want dance music, and it won't sell, then why sell it here? They could loose money. It's that simple.
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

taQ
Eurobeat Master

Post by taQ » 15 Aug 2005, 02:45

oresama-chan wrote: Giordano Gambogi (aka Lou Turner, Mr.M, Time force)
there is nooo way Gambogi is Lou Turner/Jackson 'O/Jock-Lee

but yeah, must say Clara's english pronounciation is pretty good, also K.J. Wainwright (who's said to be English, right?)

hmm...I don't think ANYONE on Vibration pronounces anything right...hehe

oresama-chan
Eurohero

Post by oresama-chan » 15 Aug 2005, 03:47

Thanks pals for the detailed comments, very interesting and helpful to me. :D

taQ wrote:
there is nooo way Gambogi is Lou Turner/Jackson 'O/Jock-Lee
Aw really? I should have written Mike West instead of Lou Turner 'coz I've never heard Lou Turner's songs. :lol:

gs68
Euro To B

Post by gs68 » 15 Aug 2005, 03:47

Clara sounds extremely fluent in her songs. She doesn't sound Italian at all to me.

Her grammar in some of her lyrics need fixing though.
Last edited by gs68 on 16 Aug 2005, 23:59, edited 1 time in total.

michaelz
Eurocurious

Post by michaelz » 15 Aug 2005, 04:31

"DD Pronunciation!? As long as it's melodious..that's all to it for a song! (Vibration dones it well..) 8)

KitsuneStar
Eurobeat Fan

Post by KitsuneStar » 15 Aug 2005, 08:53

Alessandra's actually done songs in English? Wot?

OK, that was a cheap-shot at how it seems like she wants so badly to be Japanese, but isn't....

Seriously, though, the only mispronounciation (sp?) by anyone that gave me complete fits is in "Criminal Fire" when they pronounce resistance as "res-i-stance". It makes me want to smack someone :)

Rave Dodgers
Euro To B

Post by Rave Dodgers » 15 Aug 2005, 21:35

Most pronunciation is fine and marketable. Even the off-the-wall stuff.

Lyrics are not mass-marketable or intended for a native english audience. To be "mainstream", they would need to be thoroughly reworked. As far as I know, nobody wants that to happen. Would it really be eurobeat, then? It would be better for Avex to concentrate on improving their mixing and blending on special editions and just let the studios continue to work freely.

Anyway, here are just a few examples. Every eurobeat release has some "funny" lyrics and mispronunciations on it:

"TH" sound - it's ok to mispronounce words like "the" but it's not ok to mispronounce "rhythm" as "riddum", or worse, "reedum"

Baby, (to)night, soul, love, (get) (on) fire, are used far too often. Arguably, it's just part of the genre. Especially the word "baby"

Some songs just sound gay. "Gonna get you... like a space boy" is a classic mistake.

Others have problems with interesting lyrics: "I'll be supernatural, Mighty knight" crashing into retardedly simple: "You and me can make a special team"... Special team? ok...

Another one that was made in the past more than once is: "Riding (or driving) ON my car". You have to be a true eurobeat fan to be able to ignore that mistake, because they just as easily could have used the correct word.

I could list many more.

Timmy
Euro To B

Post by Timmy » 15 Aug 2005, 22:20

"Gonna get you... like a space boy"... what makes it a mistake?
-TIMMYTIME-

oresama-chan
Eurohero

Post by oresama-chan » 17 Aug 2005, 06:29

Thanks a lot for your useful comments, everyone. much appreciated. :D
Clara sounds extremely fluent in her songs. She doesn't sound Italian at all to me.
I'm satisfied to hear that, gs68 :)
that was a cheap-shot at how it seems like she wants so badly to be Japanese, but isn't....
When I heard "Talking Hands" for the first time without knowing it is Domino & Aki's song, I wondered who the hell was singing those Japanese phrases. Alessandra sings Japanese pretty well.

Some songs just sound gay. "Gonna get you... like a space boy" is a classic mistake.
Hi Rave Dodgers,
Would you tell me what "gay" means in this case? Homosexual or insufficient? Thank you in advance. :)

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 17 Aug 2005, 07:27

8) I don't think thier Pronounciation is bad , but rather the way they write, meaning how the writers place the words to make a sentence rhym. I think the biggest offenders are HRG Attack. They are also very nasty(Lyric wise) ...and that's a plus :D

oresama-chan
Eurohero

Post by oresama-chan » 17 Aug 2005, 08:10

drnrg wrote:8)They are also very nasty(Lyric wise) ...and that's a plus :D
*ROFLOL* :lol: