Mixing 2 eurobeat songs - hard

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Mixing 2 eurobeat songs - hard

Post by Ozma » 25 Apr 2008, 19:13

Hi!

I've just started doing some dj'ing and eurobeat is my "thing"! Been listening eurobeat 1 year now and I love it. So I want to play it aswell and make own mix cds' but mixing 2 songs out-in is really hard. Thing that makes it easier are remix songs, but I haven't been able to find any of those (besides what's on SEB collections).

So, what kind of equipment I need if I want to get to the level on SEB non-stop mix cds? I know how the basic of SEB non-stop mixes are made(beatgrids, loops...), but it's impossible with just pc software.

Also where can I find these remix versions of songs? Would be nice to find a store where I can pre-listen and after that buy CD (no way I'm buying mp3/etc).

omega666
Eurocurious

Post by omega666 » 25 Apr 2008, 20:00

For CDs I am pretty sure the mixers use the extendeds, instrumentals and acapellas

Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Ozma » 26 Apr 2008, 18:18

omega666 wrote:For CDs I am pretty sure the mixers use the extendeds, instrumentals and acapellas
You mean extended/instrumental/acapellas version of songs?

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 26 Apr 2008, 18:45

Yes, the megamixes Avex produces are based on the extended edit, plus vocal-only (acapella) and instrumental edits, although you don't necessarily need these to do effective mixing, but you can pull off funkier segues between songs than just by using the normal version alone.

You can pick up a lot of Hi-NRG Attack material in extended/acapella/instrumental form on Juno (www.junodownload.com) at the moment, and Vibration are currently uploading all their stuff too. Akyr (Newfield's side label to Delta) also has a presence on Juno. Delta's stuff is available, but in Extended form only (no acapellas/instrumentals). Unfortunately A-Beat C, SCP and Time aren't up there, nor does it seem likely they will be in the forseeable future.

For live-mixing, the best thing I can suggest is that you put together lots of 4/8/16-beat riffs of the beginning and ends of songs, so you can loop those/scratch them when seguing between songs, and that way you have more material to play with than just trying to layer the beginning of a song over the end of another, which is rather hard with most EB due to its quick-start/stop nature.

Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Ozma » 28 Apr 2008, 17:29

DJ Mike TJG wrote: ...
For live-mixing, the best thing I can suggest is that you put together lots of 4/8/16-beat riffs of the beginning and ends of songs, so you can loop those/scratch them when seguing between songs, and that way you have more material to play with than just trying to layer the beginning of a song over the end of another, which is rather hard with most EB due to its quick-start/stop nature.
Thank you very much. Seems like Juno would be the place to find what I want. Just put my first mixtape and soon release it :) It is very hard to find right kind of songs to mix together. Well first release and played for 3 months now but have to do it some time so people can give you feedback :D All the chances are quick from a to b. Some are great and some are really weak :D An external mixer/turntable/whatever like ION Audio iCUE Digital Music Mixing Station would help a little, but still its really hard to keep up with mouse/keyboard as your help.

What kind of equipment do you use for live mixing? I dont like to make mixtapes if they arent the same like I play (someday maybe) live. Right now my only thing I have is Virtual DJ, yeah I know ... :D

Have to try that tip of 4/8/16 beat riffs... don't know if I'm any good at editing them or puting them in use. You know any good softwares to do that?

Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Ozma » 30 Apr 2008, 09:31

Found one - Ableton Live

No need for anything else. Perfect software to mix eurobeat!

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 30 Apr 2008, 12:55

Maybe I really need to figure out how to use it, then. >_>!

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 01 May 2008, 02:26

It all depends on what you want to do:

If you want to make Mega-Mixes in the Avex style, with either 1 or 2 minutes edits of songs, You definitely have to go with Ableton and all those Sound editing programs.

If you want to Mix Eurobeat live in a Rave, a Party or a Club, theres different ways of doing it:

- using Ableton live or any other mixing utilitary that does real-time mixing

- using two CDJ's, and there are a whole lot of models from which to choose out there. You also need a dj mixer, a pair of dj headphones, a sound system on which to practice AND a collection of Extended version or dj Edit MP3's/CD's. Last but not the least: a LOT of skills and a LOT of time to gain these skills.

Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Ozma » 08 May 2008, 17:03

Ableton = really hard program. I have been trying to look for good tutorials, but eaven with those ... cant make anything out of it + that program really needs external midi controller. It would be nice to learn the program but I need some one to help me :D

I think I'm back in square one... Just have to find those extended/remix versions. Damn hard to find ... Juno has some, but I didnt find so much that I like to play :S

rokku
Bad Bad Bad

Post by rokku » 01 Jun 2008, 22:58

I started learning DJing recently, and I'm trying to get into Eurobeat right now. I've got 2 Technics turntables, DJ mixer and that whole setup, plus getting either Virtual Vinyl (Virtual DJ + time coded records and hardware interface) or Serato.

I've been playing around with the trial of Virtual DJ and eurobeat and I'm really liking it. It is pretty difficult, but I'm getting a lot of inspiration going over mixing the same songs over and over. You've really gotta know your music to do a live mix, and practice. In my oppinion you can really get into Live mixing with Virtual DJ with only a keyboard and mouse if you have a soundcard you can set to have 2 stereo outputs, one for the Master Mix and one for Headphones. I'm going to be using turntables because I really want to learn the traditional way. If I had CDJs I'd use those too...

I haven't used Alberton Live, I've done studio mixes (non-live) in the past of other fast dance music and I know Cubase, Pro Tools and Cool Edit Pro can all be used for it. The stuff I did just needed a multi track editor. But then, if you want to DJ live, there's no point in doing studio mixes.

Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Ozma - Eurobeat vol 1 - Stop Cock

Post by Ozma » 20 Oct 2008, 15:31

Hi guys! Long time no see :)

Ok, I got my first actual Mixtape out 24th of April. Before that I did one simple live radio set. My mixtape can be downloaded from http://miksaukset.koshiyoka.com/ozma/Oz ... _Vol_1.mp3 and the cover for it is in http://madaxeman.fi/jep/stopcock.jpg

I know it sounds like shit(Ok, I have got some good feedback also)! Basically I just change from A -> B in the "right" spot. I doesn't sound good but that was the only thing I knew how to do. After that I have improved a bit. I have made jumping points (as I call them, basically jump from beginning to end or vice versa) and by doing that I can mix them better. The changes are also smoother (or atleast I think so).

After that I have performed once in a party we organize and twice in webradio show we also organize. Basically (the event and the webradio) is for harder music (HC / HardStyle / Freeform / HardWHATEVER) but somehow I've managed to sneak in.

I you could be so kind, please give me some feedback!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I use only virtual DJ + keyboard + mouse :!:

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 20 Oct 2008, 18:13

You get bonus points for starting with Neo. (Can the man ever write a bad song?)
The transition from that song to Oda — Rainbow was... juuuust a bit slow. Perhaps if "This is what I want" was overlapping that little synth buzz before the synth riff. Otherwise, nicely done.
Transition to Kamcha Intercooler is pretty good if (again) a bit slow. The important thing is keeping the illusion of consistent BPM. You almost had it but not quite.
Transition to I'm Okay was VERY smooth. Niiiiicely done. :3
That next transition into Make A Boom was MAGIC! PERFECT! Your song choice is supplemented by the smooth transitions you're making along the way.
Transition into Go Racing Go was nicely done as well.
Transition into Don't Stop The Music was a biiiit shaky but nothing to worry too much about.
Transition into Cherry Girl was nicely done, as was Go Wild's.
You win one internet for including SPEED MAN~!
I'd carry on but I'm in class and thus lack time to really comment much further.

I'd say your transitions are well-done enough to be released professionally!
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Ozma » 20 Oct 2008, 18:39

zoupzuop2 wrote:You get bonus points for starting with Neo. (Can the man ever write a bad song?)
The transition from that song to Oda — Rainbow was... juuuust a bit slow. Perhaps if "This is what I want" was overlapping that little synth buzz before the synth riff. Otherwise, nicely done.
Transition to Kamcha Intercooler is pretty good if (again) a bit slow. The important thing is keeping the illusion of consistent BPM. You almost had it but not quite.
Transition to I'm Okay was VERY smooth. Niiiiicely done. :3
That next transition into Make A Boom was MAGIC! PERFECT! Your song choice is supplemented by the smooth transitions you're making along the way.
Transition into Go Racing Go was nicely done as well.
Transition into Don't Stop The Music was a biiiit shaky but nothing to worry too much about.
Transition into Cherry Girl was nicely done, as was Go Wild's.
You win one internet for including SPEED MAN~!
I'd carry on but I'm in class and thus lack time to really comment much further.

I'd say your transitions are well-done enough to be released professionally!
You just lifted my day up with 100% Good to hear that someone likes :) Now working on with my "Ten-min-mix" with 12 songs ... ^_^

rokku
Bad Bad Bad

Post by rokku » 19 Nov 2008, 22:23

Cool, listening now. I'm gonna have to go home and install Virtual DJ on my new laptop and get back to this now :P. Good stuff, life needs more Eurobeat DJs ^_^. Though I spin Hardcore also, but eurobeat is fun because its so underrepresented in the US.

Ozma
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Ozma » 07 Dec 2008, 17:09

Hi guys! Some new stuff.... hope you enjoy it!

These are my live mixin backups. I play with Laptop + Hercules mk2 (as a sound card) + Virtual DJ and I have to have backups! Don't trust on win xp too much :D

Enjoy!

Part 1
Part 2

And feel free to comment anything!