New to making music/eurobeat, seeking help for a start

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
Krishaa
Bad Bad Bad

New to making music/eurobeat, seeking help for a start

Post by Krishaa » 13 Jan 2012, 05:06

I've always been fascinated in eurobeat, and have listened to it for about 2 years now. Occasionally, I have tried to get back into learning how to use music editing programs such as Fl Studio so I could someday make my very own eurobeat compositions, but although the material that some online lessons cover I learn, they're very vague and don't really help with the genre I want to learn how to compose music for the most; eurobeat. So in hopelessness, I would tangent and try to recreate the synths, kicks, hats, and basses and organize them together, but the sound would end up failing to become what I want.

To be specific, I know asking for advice on how to compose a eurobeat song and how to recreate the sounds is a very scrubbish thing to ask, but I feel this forum is my only shot at getting a viable start in becoming a eurobeat composer. So this is what I want to ask; What programs should I be using to create eurobeat? How do I recreate the sounds? Any basic beginner's guides I should be looking at for eurobeat music making in general? Thanks for the help.

(Apparently, there was supposed to be a guide somewhere in this forum, but I cannot find it).

Shinraikan
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Shinraikan » 14 Jan 2012, 08:55

Well, I think you've definitely come to the right place. This forum has a lot of good info if you dig through it a bit. Travis S. had a pretty nice write-up on how he makes stuff for Odyssey with Garage Band: http://eurobeatblog.com/how-to/eurobeat-for-garageband/

I personally use FLStudio for most of my projects. Nexus is a great VST to use because it has percussion, synths, bass, etc that all compliment each other quite nicely. Pro-53 has a good preset called Dance Lead or Mega Lead, something like that, that's the main synth I used to use when creating my riffs. It also helps to layer either by harmonizing the melody or by stacking the same melody on different instruments (like 2 brass and 2 trancey style synths with all the same melody playing at the same time).

When I first started making music I would try to re-create the synth riffs as well as the progression (aside from vocals of course) and it did sound pretty newbish at first, but practice is perfect.

This was me trying to remake the riff from Nuage's "Baby Get My Fire Tonite". You'll figure out your own sound just by experimenting. The thing with eurobeat is that it's not a very complex genre by any means, but one little thing you miss can throw off an entire song. Catch-22 perhaps. I would advise listening to music from different producers like A-Beat C, Delta, etc. and see what they do differently. Some producers use too much bass, some don't use enough. Some use weak percussion that compliments strong synths while others use pounding percussion that compliment equally energetic synths.
Last edited by Shinraikan on 14 Jan 2012, 09:04, edited 2 times in total.

Shinraikan
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Shinraikan » 14 Jan 2012, 09:00

Everyone is different though and while my own stuff might not be your "average" eurobeat, it's just what my music evolved into.

I know a lot of people started with remixing if they didn't have their own vocals to use like myself. Here's my first eurobeat song from, oh, 2006 or so? Super old but I hope it gives you a good idea.

I think you can still hear a lot of the elements I used to use in older tracks in my new stuff, but with much better production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcwH6xsx_pA

Good luck. Maybe someday soon we'll see you on Eurobeat Forever. :)

(Sorry for the double post, I had to split it up because all it was coming out with was blank text)
Last edited by Shinraikan on 15 Jan 2012, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Krishaa
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Krishaa » 15 Jan 2012, 01:30

Well, I have a Windows based laptop, so Garageband is out of the question, although I did read the tutorial for a general sample list I would need to create eurobeat.

It's not really as much of figuring out what lead synth sound I want for my song, but how to recreate it. I've listened to so much eurobeat, but none of the lead synths used I've wanted to recreate as much as the lead synth used in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoUCI0WcVI0

I assumed they used the famous JD800 Brass sound, which I actually managed to find a sample for: http://www.tradebit.com/usr/eurobeat/pu ... o01-62.mp3 but the sample sounds too sharp as compared to the lead synth in the song I posted above. Would you suppose that they stacked some trance synths on top of the brass synth(s) to create their lead sound?

Anyway, I appreciate the help. I'll try Nexus and their presets first because they're free, then see if I should try Pro-53 if Nexus doesn't work out.

P.S. Progression and percussion are things I'll need practice with though, despite that I'm pretty aware with the genre's style in general. As well as giving my music enough "background" as I should say. But I think practice will make that perfect, especially with the style of eurobeat I've had in mind for years.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 16 Jan 2012, 12:57

Krishaa wrote:Well, I have a Windows based laptop, so Garageband is out of the question, although I did read the tutorial for a general sample list I would need to create eurobeat.

It's not really as much of figuring out what lead synth sound I want for my song, but how to recreate it. I've listened to so much eurobeat, but none of the lead synths used I've wanted to recreate as much as the lead synth used in this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoUCI0WcVI0

I assumed they used the famous JD800 Brass sound, which I actually managed to find a sample for: http://www.tradebit.com/usr/eurobeat/pu ... o01-62.mp3 but the sample sounds too sharp as compared to the lead synth in the song I posted above. Would you suppose that they stacked some trance synths on top of the brass synth(s) to create their lead sound?

Anyway, I appreciate the help. I'll try Nexus and their presets first because they're free, then see if I should try Pro-53 if Nexus doesn't work out.

P.S. Progression and percussion are things I'll need practice with though, despite that I'm pretty aware with the genre's style in general. As well as giving my music enough "background" as I should say. But I think practice will make that perfect, especially with the style of eurobeat I've had in mind for years.
There are many VSTs which have brass synths presets, yes.. Nexus for example. And don't forget that most Eurobeat riffs are layered. They consist of many synths.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 16 Jan 2012, 19:13

Krishaa wrote:Well, I have a Windows based laptop, so Garageband is out of the question, although I did read the tutorial for a general sample list I would need to create eurobeat.

...believe me, I think EVERYONE wants DJ Command's sounds! To my knowledge he used V-Station and samples from "Synth1" (another VSTi plugin) for his brass before he went Mac.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

DanWaigand
Tha Graphic Guy

Post by DanWaigand » 16 Jan 2012, 20:36

Get a guitar or keyboard, and play chords while singing... at any speed. If something sounds good like this, then converting it to any style of music just requires musical dressing.

keep the lyrics simple (producers stress this to no end, And its quite true).. I've had some issues when they get too complex.

Avoid using consonants. the Italian Language ends in vowels a lot of the time... try and think about what words they do and don't use. Also it helps if you listen to those with thicker accents.. the lyrics often tend to get adjusted based on what they feel comfortable pronouncing.

Most eurobeat songs have hidden arpeggios behind layers of music.

Garage band isn't essential. any DAW will do...I use Cockos REAPER. FLStudio has a bunch of onboard things.. I think one emulated a moog bass? Try that and EQ it to only get the higher range. then layer some brass and strings behind it for the synth leads. I know Dima uses Cubase... He isn't the only one. if you wanna get really simple.. write it only in midi, then add VSTs like crazy to the midi and clone tracks as needed to layer the sounds til you get exactly what you want. (this is the noteworthy composer route, but i prefer a constantly finalized sound)

The timing on the bass is important, as is the chunk of it. it's about where a snare would usually be.

Random Guitar (or sax) Solos are fun. Georgio Morodor is what I hear when these happen.

Keep the percussion simple, except for intros, fills, and the occasional build up.

Look around for free VSTs! Leftover Lasagne is a great free EQ. theres others that emulate hammond organs and moog basses. Nexus is great.. nexus 2 is great.. but I only ever use their orchestra expansion's STRINGS for eurobeat. I actually have an NES emulator layered with 4Front Bass Module (sometimes through guitar rig) that I find totally makes the right sound.

Get a GOOD Mic. I use one from a Sharkoon Gaming headset.. but you'd probably wanna get a dedicated mic.

If you're adding guitars, go nuts with power chords for backing, but try for a more 80's rock sound... though this completely depends on what you're going for. Most of Dave Rodgers stuff is chuckas, trills, effects, and pinch squeals. The same rules that apply to Rock music apply here.

Definitely listen to zoupzoup. While I'd choose slightly different sounds in certain cases, the texture to his songs is up there with the best of them, but he keeps his clean enough that you can hear a lot of them where many others get lost in the mix.

There are Vocal removal vsts out there. Download a few and use them on Eurobeat tracks you'll find a lot of things you didn't notice before. SCP also had a series of videos they released of Go-2 songs where they mute tracks (guitars and vocals, only a few synths..). This might be good incite into layering. Alot of Saifam (mark farina, etc) tracks also released LAST MIX tracks which randomly mute parts... also good for layering ideas.
...Love Thy Eurobeat. Love Thy Panu. Squeeze him, Please him, Light his fire. ...Beware his mad desire tho. Yes. I'm done, Move along.

Krishaa
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Krishaa » 18 Jan 2012, 03:46

DanWaigand wrote:Get a guitar or keyboard, and play chords while singing... at any speed. If something sounds good like this, then converting it to any style of music just requires musical dressing.

keep the lyrics simple (producers stress this to no end, And its quite true).. I've had some issues when they get too complex.

Avoid using consonants. the Italian Language ends in vowels a lot of the time... try and think about what words they do and don't use. Also it helps if you listen to those with thicker accents.. the lyrics often tend to get adjusted based on what they feel comfortable pronouncing.

Most eurobeat songs have hidden arpeggios behind layers of music.

Garage band isn't essential. any DAW will do...I use Cockos REAPER. FLStudio has a bunch of onboard things.. I think one emulated a moog bass? Try that and EQ it to only get the higher range. then layer some brass and strings behind it for the synth leads. I know Dima uses Cubase... He isn't the only one. if you wanna get really simple.. write it only in midi, then add VSTs like crazy to the midi and clone tracks as needed to layer the sounds til you get exactly what you want. (this is the noteworthy composer route, but i prefer a constantly finalized sound)

The timing on the bass is important, as is the chunk of it. it's about where a snare would usually be.

Random Guitar (or sax) Solos are fun. Georgio Morodor is what I hear when these happen.

Keep the percussion simple, except for intros, fills, and the occasional build up.

Look around for free VSTs! Leftover Lasagne is a great free EQ. theres others that emulate hammond organs and moog basses. Nexus is great.. nexus 2 is great.. but I only ever use their orchestra expansion's STRINGS for eurobeat. I actually have an NES emulator layered with 4Front Bass Module (sometimes through guitar rig) that I find totally makes the right sound.

Get a GOOD Mic. I use one from a Sharkoon Gaming headset.. but you'd probably wanna get a dedicated mic.

If you're adding guitars, go nuts with power chords for backing, but try for a more 80's rock sound... though this completely depends on what you're going for. Most of Dave Rodgers stuff is chuckas, trills, effects, and pinch squeals. The same rules that apply to Rock music apply here.

Definitely listen to zoupzoup. While I'd choose slightly different sounds in certain cases, the texture to his songs is up there with the best of them, but he keeps his clean enough that you can hear a lot of them where many others get lost in the mix.

There are Vocal removal vsts out there. Download a few and use them on Eurobeat tracks you'll find a lot of things you didn't notice before. SCP also had a series of videos they released of Go-2 songs where they mute tracks (guitars and vocals, only a few synths..). This might be good incite into layering. Alot of Saifam (mark farina, etc) tracks also released LAST MIX tracks which randomly mute parts... also good for layering ideas.
I've been listening to more eurobeat recently, but differently (studying the structure rather than listen to it for fun), but I think the vocal removal vsts will do me more justice in studying the structure in general.

I've listened to zoupzuop2's music, and I can agree x) I've listened to a lot of eurobeat, though I think going back and studying his songs as well with the vocal removal vst will do me justice as well.

I'll try the technique you explained to get the lead synth and see what I get. I have nexus 2 now, and I'll take a look at the STRINGS sample on it. I'll try leftover lasagne as well.

I want to be able to actually come up with a result before I begin vocals, so I'll invest in a mic when the time comes. I'll be practicing the chords for my song on a keyboard first.

Anyway, thanks for the advice :)
DarkSky wrote:There are many VSTs which have brass synths presets, yes.. Nexus for example. And don't forget that most Eurobeat riffs are layered. They consist of many synths.
I did find a synth on nexus that I liked, but would layering that synth with different pitches on each layer do anything or would I have to use different synths to come up with the final product?
zoupzuop2 wrote:...believe me, I think EVERYONE wants DJ Command's sounds! To my knowledge he used V-Station and samples from "Synth1" (another VSTi plugin) for his brass before he went Mac.
Haha, If only I had his sounds x) Is the "Synth1" VSTi plugin available for FL Studio, or is it specific to V-Station?

Shinraikan
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Shinraikan » 18 Jan 2012, 09:28

Synth1 is a free VST:

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/#down

Look for presets online... there's some really good stuff out there but you just have to dig through a lot of crap to find the good ones. :P

eXtaticus
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by eXtaticus » 20 Oct 2012, 00:11

-redacted-