My first eurobeat track

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
dalziel
Bad Bad Bad

My first eurobeat track

Post by dalziel » 21 Jan 2015, 14:46

Hello again everyone :) I've spent the last couple of weeks working on a eurobeat remix of "Song 4 U" by Ayumi Hamasaki. It's the first eurobeat track I've produced (other than that short demo I posted here a few months ago).

I'd you all to check it out and let me know what you think. I am really keen to improve and work towards producing professional quality eurobeat tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5_Twkk86Cg

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 22 Jan 2015, 12:15

nice remix! but .....quite dull

try to applied some effects like reverb,delay for some sounds
also do experiment with compressor and limiter for final ouput..
your track will be much fatter! (don't overdo,too loud is not good)

take a listen to the track "Lolita - Try me",it's eurobeat cover/remix of a J-pop song...you will learn alots (more like re-arrange whole track,not limited from original)

have you tried my synth1 bank?

some patches may give your track some powerful punchs! (brass..example!)

Code: Select all

app.box.com/s/jk52n6e19o3v56phkdg6
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 22 Jan 2015, 13:20

I think it's pretty good, imo, for what it is.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

eXtaticus
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by eXtaticus » 22 Jan 2015, 14:07

-redacted-
Last edited by eXtaticus on 19 Dec 2017, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 22 Jan 2015, 16:10

eXtaticus wrote:It's pretty good, for a first attempt!

I suggest layering up multiple synths for riffs, because it just gives it a thicker sound, and helps the riff differentiate itself from the background synths in the verses and choruses. At the moment, it sounds a touch lifeless; there's not enough "punch".
he did layering the riff,but it is still not enough..his brass itself lacks something to be "stab" enough!
need to do tweaking in synth more for better output

there are some rules for mixing,but be creative,follow your ear and experience yourself... does it sound good or bad to you?
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

dalziel
Bad Bad Bad

Post by dalziel » 24 Jan 2015, 17:42

Wow, thank you very much everybody for taking the time to listen to my song and commenting constructively on it. This is really what I was hoping for, so I truly appreciate it.

I'll try to go through these in order.

KoolKool:
KoolKool wrote:try to applied some effects like reverb,delay for some sounds
I did!
KoolKool wrote:have you tried my synth1 bank?
Yes, I used it on this track.
KoolKool wrote:...more like re-arrange whole track,not limited from original...
I have to say that if you listened to the original song (there are actually two versions) and then listened to my version, the only similarity is the vocal part. Everything else is original (the structure, arrangement, new melodies, altered harmony, etc...)

Lebon14:
Lebon14 wrote:I think it's pretty good, imo, for what it is.
Thanks for the comment. I intended for the track to sound as eurobeaty as possible - I wasn't trying to reinvent the genre! It was a good learning exercise :)

eXtaticus:
eXtaticus wrote:I suggest layering up multiple synths for riffs, because it just gives it a thicker sound, and helps the riff differentiate itself from the background synths in the verses and choruses. At the moment, it sounds a touch lifeless; there's not enough "punch".
As KoolKool recognises, I did layer the synth parts; I recognise the importance of this. I'll agree with you that it lacks some punch. I think a lot of it has to do with the general mixing (equalisation, compression, etc) of the track. This is an area I need to improve in.

You also mentioned about the kick drum. I found it really hard to recreate the typical eurobeat kick drum. In fact, I think the drums are the hardest thing for me to "get". I think I can recreate most aspects of eurobeat fairly well, but I'm struggling with the drums! More help here is needed!

I really appreciate the general advice about mixing and mastering. I will refer back to this when I work on my next track.
eXtaticus wrote:Overall, pretty sweet, and I actually like the melodies that you added yourself.
Thank you for noticing this. I wrote original melodies and in some sections changed the harmony (chord progression) of the original song.
eXtaticus wrote:Just out of curiosity, what software/plugins do you use?
This track was made in Ableton Live. The only external plugin I used was Synth1.

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 25 Jan 2015, 03:16

dalziel wrote:Wow, thank you very much everybody for taking the time to listen to my song and commenting constructively on it. This is really what I was hoping for, so I truly appreciate it.
well..so you did good work! now all you need is good mastering to add punchy,power to your track...DIY or use service..
just learn how compressor,limiter work first!

about kick drum! you can use any....it's not really important to follow exactly 100% like SEB...variety is better
you know.early old eurobeats usually have weak and dry kick...

if you want punchy kick,try to layer 2 two kick with EQ tweaking...one high pass,one low pass
also try free kick sample pack called "Markus Hakala's Kicks"..range from light to heavy kick....good for custom processing.

oh,you use my patches...thank you! (be sure to try latest one i posted)
let see,...if the brass is not "stab" enough...so try tougher version like "Eurosaw [Vivid]" or "Eurosaw [Light-S]"

good luck!
soundcloud.com/hainam-1