new to music production, need help

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
TrainEngie
Bad Bad Bad

new to music production, need help

Post by TrainEngie » 01 Jul 2015, 04:13

Hello world! I am TrainEngie, and I come from the Kerbal Space Program forums.

A few years ago, I played the trombone and I was fascinated by this song called "Eiffel 65 - Blue (da ba dee)" (an italo disco) so I tried to analyze it using what I learned. Seems simple, in B flat. Stuck with B flat for my entire time playing the trombone. Then I found Eurobeat, via "lol internet". I thought it was J-pop, lol. Then I tried to analyze "Dave Rodgers - Space boy". VERY DIFFICULT to figure out what makes Space Boy full sounding. Tried copying Space boy, but to no avail. Too empty sounding. Now this is where y'all come in.

I have no prior music making experience. I do have trombone experience from middle school. I have Linux Multimedia studio, and an old Yamaha electric keyboard. Thought that thing was a toy when I was little.

What is going on under the drums, bass, and synths?
How do I reproduce the underlying sounds, or what do the underlying sounds sound like by themselves?
What are key sounds?
What are offbeat sounds?

Sorry if this is too much to ask for, but I need this information, at least some of it. This forum is kind of empty... 1224 USERS?

Also, I've checked the relevant posts in "making eurobeat/other genres" but that didn't help.
NEED FORUM GAMES

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 02 Jul 2015, 05:58

Kerbal Space Program!! NASA space forum?! wow....

well! i can help you with sound patches for the genre...can your DAW load Synth1?
at least you need a VST, a VST can make alots of sound.

"offbeat" is somekind of "stab" sound,it usually play along with bass and vocal....not really a necessary element,but if you need italo-disco feel.... (i thought Eiffel 65 - Blue is eurodance??)

and "key" can be...piano,or bell...

the riff need to play at multiple-octaves....

if you failed at copying,then why don't you try to compose your own track? :)
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

TrainEngie
Bad Bad Bad

Post by TrainEngie » 04 Jul 2015, 04:00

KoolKool wrote:Kerbal Space Program!! NASA space forum?! wow....

well! i can help you with sound patches for the genre...can your DAW load Synth1?
at least you need a VST, a VST can make alots of sound.

"offbeat" is somekind of "stab" sound,it usually play along with bass and vocal....not really a necessary element,but if you need italo-disco feel.... (i thought Eiffel 65 - Blue is eurodance??)

and "key" can be...piano,or bell...

the riff need to play at multiple-octaves....

if you failed at copying,then why don't you try to compose your own track? :)
Yeah, LMMS (linux multimedia studio, free alternative to FL studio) can load Synth1.

Thx for the help/explanations. I'll try to compose something random, see what happens from there.

Did you by any chance post your Euronam 118 sounds on patcharena . com? I found your Euronam 118 sounds on patcharena under your name KoolKool...
NEED FORUM GAMES

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 04 Jul 2015, 10:00

TrainEngie wrote:
Yeah, LMMS (linux multimedia studio, free alternative to FL studio) can load Synth1.

Thx for the help/explanations. I'll try to compose something random, see what happens from there.

Did you by any chance post your Euronam 118 sounds on patcharena . com? I found your Euronam 118 sounds on patcharena under your name KoolKool...
oh yes! that's my old bank,happy to see over 1000 downloads
here is my new one...if you need more 80s,90s sounds,move to use it :)

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/synth1- ... /downloads

(Star-nam bank)

also...you can create your own sounds by messing around with any knobs,it's worth to understand synthesis too,not necessary to dig deep,at least basic knowledge,it's will help you alots in your music production
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

TrainEngie
Bad Bad Bad

Post by TrainEngie » 15 Jul 2015, 00:40

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31NNd ... sp=sharing

Note, this isn't an actual composition, it's just a testing_1_2_3.ogg with a F minor scale and stock LMMS sounds.
NEED FORUM GAMES

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 15 Jul 2015, 16:49

the bass doesn't seem play along well with kick!
you need to work more on this part
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

TrainEngie
Bad Bad Bad

Post by TrainEngie » 17 Jul 2015, 00:36

oh i see what's wrong: bass and kick are hitting at the same time.

so it's like kick-bass-kick-bass?

the sample: 130 bpm.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31NNd ... sp=sharing

assuming the synth sounds okay... synth is comprised of 1 light, 1 giga, and 1 low eurosaw.

Image that's what each layer looks like
NEED FORUM GAMES

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 17 Jul 2015, 15:07

TrainEngie wrote:
so it's like kick-bass-kick-bass?

assuming the synth sounds okay... synth is comprised of 1 light, 1 giga, and 1 low eurosaw.
yes,its very common to see that kind of kick bass pattern on dance music,and eurobeat is not exception....but there are more variants you still need to explore

.....actually, you don't need layer too much preset like that,just only one preset,one channel for riff (for easy mixing)......so just pick only one "Eurosaw.." patch you like best! the sound still can be made fatter by using EQ,reverb,delay,compressor,gain....

for the riff part,the melody of the riff need to be more agressive,fast attack notes,this is my example

soundcloud.com/hainam-1

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 17 Jul 2015, 15:32

try to write 50-60% and then come back here,so i can give you more constructive feedback :?

if you are into eurobeat,don't forget to check out TEB series (Touhou eurobeat series)
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

Darkholme
Eurobeat Master

Post by Darkholme » 17 Jul 2015, 18:34

There's also a popular bassline where it plays one octave lower on the kick. It gives it a "bouncing" feel
DANGEROSS! GOT TO FESS DE RESS!

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 18 Jul 2015, 05:15

Darkholme wrote:There's also a popular bassline where it plays one octave lower on the kick. It gives it a "bouncing" feel
yes! my 2 favourite :)

soundcloud.com/hainam-1