I'm lost :/

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
HikariPL
Euro To B

I'm lost :/

Post by HikariPL » 18 Oct 2016, 13:41

So, I created this track: https://soundcloud.com/user-374713788/euele

The problem is, that i don't know anymore what to work on.

Can You tell me what should i work on, or what should i change?
This would be a great help.

Thank you in advance for listening to this sh*t and replying to me.

Sorry for my bad english.

Gabriel C Media
Euro To B

Post by Gabriel C Media » 19 Oct 2016, 15:42

Hiya~! C:

I listened to it and it sounds unique! all those retro computer sounds give it a sort of IDM twist that I don't think I've heard before!

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but it feels like your confusion comes from still needing to understand more about Eurobeat works. You can give the track an IDM twist if you want, but it just feels like you need a bit more practice with the genre and understanding how to make one in this style. And that's okay! :)

Mix-wise, I know this was really just a WIP sketch, so I'm not really gonna critique much there. Just make sure you M/S process your bass so that it's not too wide! :)

You can do it! ^T^

HikariPL
Euro To B

Post by HikariPL » 22 Oct 2016, 19:19

Thanks!
I think my problem is that i don't really know what defines Eurobeat.
I have this problem with almost all tracks i made - i don't really know
boundaries between one genre and another.
For example, before You replied to this post i haven't really known what
IDM is :?
I don't have any music theory knowledge, I just create what sounds good to me.

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 23 Oct 2016, 05:00

same,lol! just sound good, music theory you may be not necessary but it's better to learn basic so you can advance more....

what DAW you use?
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

HikariPL
Euro To B

Post by HikariPL » 23 Oct 2016, 11:10

My DAW of choice is FL studio.
For plugins, i use mainly P8 and Synth1.
Samples: Some 808's, sweeps and i sometimes play with Fruity Kick.

Recently I've gotten my hands on Vocaloid3, but i realised that writing
lyrics in language whitch isn't your native can be pretty hard.

Gabriel C Media
Euro To B

Post by Gabriel C Media » 23 Oct 2016, 15:52

I'm not really sure where this myth that you don't need music theory comes from, but I'm afraid it's wrong. Theory is very important. When you're disregarding theory to do "what sounds good", you're still following the rules of good theory. You're just not thinking of it technically like that.

IDM is a genre of music that you can associate with Breakbeat, Jungle, and other forms of music that's very popular with Trackers like the modern Renoise. Personally, I find it pretty weird and retro, but not in a chiptune sort of way. Retro sounds, like old modem and 90's computer sounds, remind me of it :).

Take some time to know a genre! learn it's conventions, grab MIDI if you can and try to recreate it, and just spend time understanding how it works. Each song will be better than the last :).

HikariPL
Euro To B

Post by HikariPL » 23 Oct 2016, 22:39

I know music theory is important, but in my honest opinion (it is only my opinion, don't laugh at me) Eurobeat doesn't have almost any theory.
(almost!!!)
Of course there is Eurobeat theory, but you can't just learn it -
you must create your own theory of Eurobeat.
(i repeat, this is only my opinion)
I couldn't learn anything by recreating midi's, but I learned a lot by recreating songs 1:1 only by ear.

Now that i think of it, I can probably learn a lot from my friends who
create music called "Disco Polo" (Very popular and existing almost only in Poland).

Btw I checked out Your soundcloud profile (Gabriel C Media) and You have
some cool stuff there. You've gained another follower.

Gabriel C Media
Euro To B

Post by Gabriel C Media » 24 Oct 2016, 02:42

I'm not sure what you mean by Eurobeat doesn't have any theory haha. Eurobeat is another flavor of EDM, and music, like any other. Of course it uses music theory haha :P.

It has it's own conventions like other styles (lead synth brass, digital FM bass, big ol' 90's drums, arps/seqs, the electric guitar or occasional banjo thrown in, etc), but it follows theory like other styles :).

Of course I'm not laughing at you! every style will take time to grasp the conventions. From there, you can play around and blend it with other styles if you want. Just be patient with yourself as you continue to experiment and grow :). Having MIDI is helpful because you have something easier to reference from. Not only does having MIDI personally help me when I'm exploring a new style, but it helps me in better understanding an artist's techniques as well as general compositional tricks. I remember having better ideas about creating harmonies in general from deconstructing the MIDI off of tracks I enjoyed :).

When it comes to theory, I highly recommend checking out the 'Vaughn Cube for Music Theory'. It's a wonderful solid resource for grasping the essential basics of theory. Beyond that, the actual practice of making better melodies, harmonies, etc honestly comes down to raw experience :).

Thank you for the follow! "Gabriel C Media" is currently my universal social-media handle, so if you're on other networks like YT, you can follow me there! :)

Keep going and never give up! Osu! ^^.

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 27 Oct 2016, 06:46

HikariPL wrote:My DAW of choice is FL studio.
For plugins, i use mainly P8 and Synth1.
Samples: Some 808's, sweeps and i sometimes play with Fruity Kick.

Recently I've gotten my hands on Vocaloid3, but i realised that writing
lyrics in language whitch isn't your native can be pretty hard.
i have a track that eurobeat, i can send you the project file, it may be useful!
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

HikariPL
Euro To B

Post by HikariPL » 27 Oct 2016, 20:51

@Gabriel C Media
I've checked out "Vaughn Cube for Music Theory", and it is so easy and helpful!
Thanks for letting me know about this method.

@KoolKool
Yes, please! I think i can learn alot by seeing someone else's work and methods. You can send me .flp in this post or on priv.
I would apprecieate it.

Gabriel C Media
Euro To B

Post by Gabriel C Media » 27 Oct 2016, 21:17

HikariPL wrote:@Gabriel C Media
I've checked out "Vaughn Cube for Music Theory", and it is so easy and helpful!
Thanks for letting me know about this method.

@KoolKool
Yes, please! I think i can learn alot by seeing someone else's work and methods. You can send me .flp in this post or on priv.
I would apprecieate it.
Absolutely! the Vaughn Cube did a lot of good for me. The rest will honestly just come from time and practice. Have reference tracks from many artists across all the genres you like to study and emulate. Having the MIDI, like KoolKool does, can really help with making a new genre a lot easier to get C:.

Also, if you like that tracker-based IDM style of music like how you blended in with your Eurobeat track, check out 'She'! he's a popular artist who makes that sort of music and uses Renoise which is a modern tracker. I've been using Ableton for ages now, but I remember having a Renoise phase haha

You got this! ^^ :grin: :grin:

HikariPL
Euro To B

Post by HikariPL » 27 Oct 2016, 21:47

I've used MilkyTracker (because of track named "Daniel Wressle - Dead Feelings") for some time, maybe that's why my music sounds
IDM-ish :grin:
I must check out Reinose, it looks pretty nice.

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 28 Oct 2016, 02:07

HikariPL wrote:

@KoolKool
I would apprecieate it.
here is project file, it's not finished and was abandoned quite long for me,but it will help you get some visuals

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/#!4VYQiaTI!yNg8hPdjNmyESoXoiDMez-WemIZJYSgG1chLMqedegs
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

HikariPL
Euro To B

Post by HikariPL » 29 Oct 2016, 14:15

I've created two WIP songs,and I would like to know Your opinion about these.

WIP1: https://soundcloud.com/user-374713788/eurobeat-wip1
WIP2: https://soundcloud.com/user-374713788/eurobeat-wip2

I will stop creating my own music for two weeks, I want to rebuild some tracks 1:1, then I'll be back to check out my progress (hopefully :???: )

@KoolKool My fl crashes when i load Your project, but i think i learned something about composition just by listening to it (it sounds awesome :grin: ).

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 29 Oct 2016, 16:38

HikariPL wrote: @KoolKool My fl crashes when i load Your project, but i think i learned something about composition just by listening to it (it sounds awesome :grin: ).
oop, make sure you have FL version 12! :P
soundcloud.com/hainam-1