Eurobeat Theory Help!

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
showbiznine
Euro To B

Eurobeat Theory Help!

Post by showbiznine » 12 Oct 2008, 17:57

Whats up guys. I'm new here and I'm hoping I can learn alot from this site.

My first question is which scales or chords are generally used in eurobeat. I have a bit of musical experience but picking out notes is impossible for me.

I have all of the drum samples and synths that I need to get started, I just need some actual composing help.

Thanks in advance.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Re: Eurobeat Theory Help!

Post by zoupzuop2 » 13 Oct 2008, 00:57

showbiznine wrote:Whats up guys. I'm new here and I'm hoping I can learn a lot from this site.

My first question is which scales or chords are generally used in eurobeat. I have a bit of musical experience but picking out notes is impossible for me.

I have all of the drum samples and synths that I need to get started, I just need some actual composing help.

Thanks in advance.
That's easy! Eurobeat does not traditionally have specific scales or chords it uses. Vibration & Dima tend to use very unique chords/scales; Delta and ABeatC (and their significant splinters/alternatives) use basic rock scales (like 1-4-5 from a given base note).

Alas, the composition is what's entirely up to you. If you need inspiration, or want to write to a specific sort of idea, listen to other Eurobeat that has that sound. (I.E, want to have a sort of sentimental feel? Listen to Rick Castle, Jay Lehr, etc. Want that guitar-driven sound? Dima and anything by B. Sinclaire are up your alley. Faster than bullets? Hi-NRG Attack from the Euromach era.)

And, POST A LINK TO YOUR STUFF HERE. I always love hearing what the Eurobeat-making community here has to offer.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

showbiznine
Euro To B

Post by showbiznine » 13 Oct 2008, 15:15

thanks for the advice, I guess I'd better get started with my research.

in terms of posting my stuff though, I dont have any eurobeat to show you guys since I mainly produce hip-hop, but if you want to hear it anyway, then theres a link to my soundclick page on my profile.

showbiznine
Euro To B

Post by showbiznine » 15 Oct 2008, 18:31

Sorry about the double post, but this is my first attempt at a eurobeat-ish track. I've been tryin to remix this song for a while and I thought this attempt was pretty good.

Feedback is appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzXbMYNA2lk

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 15 Oct 2008, 19:57

Let's have a listen.

The Motteke! Sailor Fuku has had its share of remixes. =P
*That aside, you definitely have the basis down. Synths with some sort of lead, "stabs" on the "and" of each beat (one AND two AND three AND four AND...).

*The bass sound you've chosen distorts a great deal—while that's great for Hip Hop, it's NOT great for Eurobeat, a genre dependent on "cleaner" soundworlds.

*The synth riff is barely audible. While the standard synth riff sound IS based on Sawtooth patterns, they need to be more aggressive, almost rhythmic in tone. It's okay to have a softer-sounding synth (It KILLS me to type that sentence as a harder-synth-sound fan), but at least make it more prominent when it's taking its turn to shine. It's the riff that makes it Eurobeat, in most cases.

*The original song is in a major key; your background chords are minor. You managed to get away with this in a few cases, but it creates some dissonance in other spots which may or may not be what you intended.

*Consider having a higher-pitched sound on the "and" of each beat as well. You did well with that with the bass, but having a higher-pitched sound makes it more pronounced and is a highlight of Eurobeat as a genre.

*LOVE that little rhythmic dropout during the second riff. :3

I'd love to see what you do with a non-remix Eurobeat song. You clearly have the right audio equipment to make something fantastic, and have the basics of the genre down; just tighten a few genre-specific things down and make sure the major and minor keys are in alignment, and you'll be well on your way.

(BTW, if ever there were a great Eurobeat-ish remix of the Lucky Star theme, it'd be the Metabo Taisaku mix. The synths are piercing [just the way I like 'em], and contains that sort of silly energy that some of the best Eurobeat back in the day had.)

Well done. :)
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

showbiznine
Euro To B

Post by showbiznine » 15 Oct 2008, 20:48

thanks a bunch. some of those things you said, like the distortion are down to youtube but either way, you cleared up a few things for me. My next track should be alot better ;)

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 15 Oct 2008, 23:35

There have been fairly many well done remixes of Motteke! Sailor Fuku already, but have to say with my limited knowledge on the subject this one still worked out fairly well.

Read the words zoup said and I do sign most of them, with some changes to the synth and such this could be reworked into an efficient eurobeat remix. Yet still it works nicely as it is. Although the extra pitch in the vocals was a tad much, when they already sound really pitched originally.