Super Eurobeat 193

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 03 Jan 2009, 23:32

Which reminds me... pre-order time! : )

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 03 Jan 2009, 23:42

At least we know what 3 of the songs sound like, plus the album's release itself is what counts the most anyway. Samples pretty much never give away how good or bad an album will turn out for me because the full cuts always offer a lot more to judge than just the chorus alone without any pre-development and maybe a bit of the synth.
ImageImage

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 04 Jan 2009, 03:21

DarkSky wrote:
Javy wrote:I'd laugh if they don't bother doing samples at all.
I think they'll come monday :)
I hope so,

I am all psyched up for 193, aside from Space Boy, Try Me, Looka Bomba and Hot Vampire being my main dish, I am really dying to hear new renditions of old songs from all labels. I need at least the samples to tone down the hype in me. :grin:
You and me like a fire tonight
Me and you 2 guardian angels
Now I feel your touch into my heart
A ray of sun~

- Guardian Angels / Oceania

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 04 Jan 2009, 07:43

I'm really just dying to hear how the new Eurobeat versions of Never Ending Story and Video Killed The Radio Star will sound like and I guess that Go 2 -GoGo Girls switch up might be kinda interesting as well.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 04 Jan 2009, 11:12

drnrg wrote:I'm really just dying to hear how the new Eurobeat versions of Never Ending Story and Video Killed The Radio Star will sound like and I guess that Go 2 -GoGo Girls switch up might be kinda interesting as well.
It is EXTREMELY interesting.
You and me like a fire tonight
Me and you 2 guardian angels
Now I feel your touch into my heart
A ray of sun~

- Guardian Angels / Oceania

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 06 Jan 2009, 15:27

Well, my copy shipped this morning! Here's hoping it gets here in time for the weekend!

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 06 Jan 2009, 15:54

AAH MAN!
I don't think we even get samples!!! :S

Wait Wait!

iTunes!!!!! :!:

EDIT EDIT:

My gosh, I hate this album :|

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 06 Jan 2009, 16:16

DarkSky wrote:Wait Wait!

Not just Japan?
ImageImage

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 06 Jan 2009, 16:20

#Infinity wrote:
DarkSky wrote:Wait Wait!

Not just Japan?
I don't know, I'm on a Japanese iTunes account with some yens on it.
It's on the Japanese iTunes, Save a Prayer by D.D sounds great!

My favorite song of this album, just bought it :)

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 06 Jan 2009, 17:14

My copy just shipped today too. I'm gonna check out the Japanese iTunes store when I get home to listen to the samples, since AVEX failed this round. :P

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 06 Jan 2009, 17:18

Mine shipped today too (with Super GT 2008 Round 1 and Trance Rave #17 :D ) I will probably have the thing... by Thursday January 15 (kowing how much time it takes from a Tuesday with Air Mail).
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 06 Jan 2009, 17:58

I know I won't get my copy until late next week, because we had so much snow and our streets are still covered in it. Vancouver sucks for snow removal. >.>

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 06 Jan 2009, 18:28

For those of you dying to hear samples (and maybe even buy early!):

Super Eurobeat 193 on Japanese iTunes

Hopefully your iTunes lets your switch stores - it works for me in the UK but I'm not sure about other countries.

My thoughts on the songs:

02 Lou Hunter / The Never Ending Story [Eurogrooves]
- This is a solid sounding production. I loved the original, and this remake is proof for me that the song lends itself very well to Dall'ora's stylings! :)

03 David Dima / Save A Prayer [Dima]
- The David Dima name is starting to sound a little stale - I like it better when Dima trots out the female vocalists. This one is a good song, but I'm not fussed about the original enough to expect to be replaying this a lot.

04 Tipsy & Tipsy / Hung Up [Saifam Asia]
- Something about this remake really gets me going, it's so damn catchy! I liked it when I heard it on Juno, don't think that's gonna change!

05 Tina Ray / Video Killed The Radio Star [Eurogrooves]
- Again, Eurogrooves hits the bullseye with another fab 80s remake. That's 2 for 2 from them this month! I like this sound much better than 192's effort!

06 Mark Farina feat. FCF / (A New) Bad Desire [Saifam Asia]
- Saifam's tendency towards the generic with Mark Farina takes a classic and strips it of some of its panache. Nonetheless, this is a still a pretty good remake that manages to stray onto the better side of recent Farina productions.

07 Kevin & Cherry / Doctor Love [Delta]
- I'm afraid I have to side with all those who've been deriding that synth. A great production, solid vocals, and then that synth kicks in. Sorry to do this, Laurent, but I honestly don't feel it with that part! :(

08 Lolita / Try Me (Platinum Mix) [A-Beat C]
- This is a curious remake. A-Beat C's modern sound gives a much lighter, airy sound to what was a very drum-heavy, thumping original. Annerley Gordon's original vocals haven't been changed a bit, so whether you'll like this is down to how much you've been liking A-Beat C's direction lately. Personally I quite enjoyed it - it's not better than the original (I listen to that in short doses because it frankly grates a bit after a while), just a very different approach!

09 Dejo / Too Young To Fall In Love [SinclaireStyle]
- At least the chorus synth sounds OK! But what is going on with the backup for the main vocals? It sounds like an attempt at female backup, but it's either a heavily warped female vocal, or just plain synths. Either way, it sounds horrible!!!

10 Go2 / Hot Vampire [SCP]
- Go2 takes a fairly classic (for me) GGG song and makes it... well... a Go2 production! The change in key from the original was very much expected - good sound!

11 Go Go Girls / Looka Bomba [Go Go's Music]
- If Go2 could take Hot Vampire and retain the energy, then I must confess Looka Bomba is an outright shock from the queens of energy. Where is the energy?! You have two of Eurobeat's strongest vocalists on your crew and there's not an ounce of power in that performance!

12 Fastway & Christine / Number One [SCP]
- This is essentially SCP updating their oldest production with their most modern sounds. I can't pinpoint if the vocals have even been re-recorded - if they have then the inflections haven't changed a great deal. You can even hear other elements from the original in there. Not sure I can say I prefer this over the original. If this is a case study of where SCP is in 2009, I think I preferred their old sound!

13 Pistol Girl / Ike Ike [Hi-NRG Attack]
- What a contradiction! I really loved the vocals in this remake, but no matter how much I try, I can't bring myself to like the direction Hi-NRG has taken with its synths in this one!

14 Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira / Space Boy (Grand Mix) [A-Beat C]
- Not much has changed in the underlying structure for this one. Again, A-Beat C trots out the original vocals (which means this is one new DR production I don't hate GASP SHOCK HORROR), and even most of the synths sound the same. This remake seems to be an excuse to have lots of extra electric guitar, which I really dig! So it's actually a score on this front!

So overall, for me, the pop song remakes were the stars, while the Eurobeat remakes were, shockingly, the losers - except perhaps for Bad Desire and Hot Vampire.

I'll grade these by score once I've looped them a bit more!

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 06 Jan 2009, 19:49

DJ Mike TJG wrote:For those of you dying to hear samples (and maybe even buy early!):

Super Eurobeat 193 on Japanese iTunes

Hopefully your iTunes lets your switch stores - it works for me in the UK but I'm not sure about other countries.
Yeah, you can switch store with a UK iTunes account, but I don't think it will actually let you buy anything unless you sign up for a Japanese iTunes account.

Samples are overall not bad, and I agree that the "pop" remakes are the best of the bunch. Save A Prayer sounds epic (but I was expecting that anyway). GGG sound a little bored when singing the words "Looka Bomba" - it somehow doesn't have the same raw power or passion of the original. Number One sounds pretty much a wasted opportunity as almost nothing has changed (slightly fresher synths, but that's no biggie!)

I was hoping for more from some of these remakes to be honest. Glad Dima is fully back in the SEB fray though. :grin:

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 06 Jan 2009, 20:12

I'm highly impressed with this album! None of the samples really turned me off... though I noticed that the ABeatC productions were a bit more rhythm-based (that is, little to be heard from any instruments holding the chord at a given time) and DeJo's backup vox were a little iffy... but DANG! I may buy the whole thing!

SPECIFICS:

NEVER ENDING STORY: Impressive job by Lou here! Not much to add.

SAVE A PRAYER: Dima delivers his usual epic, masterfully-crafted work here. Though it almost sounds a bit more like his work with SCP when the synth riff kicks in.

HUNG UP: It's not pitched. It's typical-SAIFAM sounding.
... and it's really cute for some reason.

VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR: Didn't Mega NRG Man cover this one? Anyway, Eurogrooves once again pulls out all the stops, and Tina Ray delivers a sufficient, if a bit bland, performance.

BAD DESIRE: Mark's vocals haven't suffered a bit, but something about the synth riff sound choice strips the riff itself of much of its power. That said, it's true enough to the original to warrant my approval.

DR. LOVE: Already loved this version before it came out on SEB. Next.

TRY ME: I can definitely hear the "New ABeatC" approach on this one... but it doesn't really suffer for it. Sounds very well-rounded so far.

TOO YOUNG TO FALL IN LOVE: Background vox are REALLY weird. But it's a MALE SINGER IN SINCLAIRESTYLE! CAN I GET A HALLELUJAH? And the synth riff sound actually impresses me this time! Way to go Sinclaire!

HOT VAMPIRE: Good save with "She's coming". ;3 They really pour the SCP energy into this one for a smash-hit, and the synth riff sound choice is exquisite!

LOOKA BOMBA: I must agree that the raw energy of the chorus is stripped somewhat. Also, the synth riff sound choice is also "typical" weak GGM synths... that said, it's still a pretty sufficient production by Oliva & Co.

NUMBER ONE: Not much changed here either... Fastway's vocals are renewed, and the synth riff sound choice actually IMPROVES for my money... even owners of the original would do well to snatch this one up.

IKE IKE: Whoa... the singer doesn't sound incredibly pitched? The soundworld sounds sort'a darker? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH HRG??? Even so, I like how this one sounded, even if it was just the chorus and no synth riff. I'll have to investigate the full version. :3

SPACE BOY: YES, YES, YES! This version does the original justice, and they kept enough integrity in the synth riff by choosing it wisely! It almost seems to have a SAIFAM-esque feel to it, but it gives it a nice new vibe that I can appreciate.

Not a single sub-par song on this one, even from the labels I tend to be harsher on! Way to go, everyone!
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.