SEB returning to the "old school" sound of the 90'

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 14 Apr 2009, 08:34

Javy
I have a feeling it won't be going back to the early 90s style but mid to late 90s.
To me this would be songs like Chester- Bad Boy, Robert Patton- Shame On You, Frank Torpedo Hi Hi Frankenstein, Ken Martin- Virtual Love, Joe Banana- Virtual Reaction, King & Queen- Kanpai Kanpai Japan. If that's the case then it's on 8)

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 14 Apr 2009, 10:06

Personally, even though I started collecting new albums in the 150s, it was the ParaParaParadise Game Megamix that got me into Eurobeat in the first place (was loaned from a friend) - we're talking stuff from the 50s to 100s there, or 1995-2000.

So I'm definitely interested if EB is going to take a step into the past for a bit (in terms of sound).

But it seems to me that, if this is all true, Avex is trying to engineer a ParaPara/Eurobeat Boom by forcing labels to stop innovating new sounds and try going back to the one that made EB so very successful in the market last time.

Of course, while it's easy to list all the golden stuff that came out of that era, it's also very easy to forget that there was a LOT of crap too! :???: So let's not assume that we're going to get a lot of golden material all of a sudden.

Nonetheless, I LOVED the sound the labels were producing back then, so more "Retro Eurobeat" certainly would be welcome!

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 14 Apr 2009, 12:29

Now that I think of it, I remember loving 65-99 the best. Some of my favourite SEB decades. Shy Gun, Spies in the Space, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Captain America, just to name a few. I'd like to see how GGM, Dima, and Sinclaire Style would do retro songs. That could be a terribly fantastic album if Avex did it right.

BTW, concerning post-200, do you think Avex will continue the 13 mix or go back to the 18 radio edits?

DJ Mike TJG
Eurohero

Post by DJ Mike TJG » 14 Apr 2009, 12:46

I'd imagine GGM would do retro much as Oliva and Domino always used to - just without Rodgers on board. I guess you could ask the same question about A-Beat C - how would their retro material sound?

I'd definitely love to hear how Eurogrooves and Dima approach it - Dima already has something of a retro groove going for it, so to be honest I'd just have more of that.

If Avex have any sense, they'll stick to the 13-extendeds approach - it seems to yield more quality from the producers. But it's a double-edged sword - by having fewer releases per label, per album, there's the potential for less mediocre material, but only by Avex's standards - for all we know there are some quality gems being left by the wayside because Avex don't like them (we've seen quite a few from Delta on the Eurobeat Masters series that have never made the cut).

I'd be happy if they ditched the 10-minute megamix and added a couple more extendeds - say 15 or 16 per album. Seems like a reasonable comprimise rather than going back to 18 radio edits?

Also, I can't help but think there's still a missed opportunity to have *part* of an SEB dedicated to releasing retro songs that have never had an extended release before (or even a release, period). You could have 13 extendeds of new + "retro style" material, plus maybe 2 or 3 *actual* retro tracks from labels that we haven't seen on SEB before. Kind of a "Euromach Corner" or something.

Will154
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Will154 » 14 Apr 2009, 13:27

DarkSky wrote:Ughh ><
A Jay Lehr hater, how's that possible :|
I don't ''hate'' Jay Lehr ... Bright Time was , good...XD
It's just an attempt to get Italo-Eurobeat ... But to me ears it just sounds like Ballade Eurobeat. (Please correct me if it is actually Ballade Eurobeat ?)

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 14 Apr 2009, 13:33

DarkSky wrote:Ughh ><
A Jay Lehr hater, how's that possible :|

Jay's sound is absolutely amazing, and I'd love to hear much much more songs from this guy :)
How's that not possible ?

I don't hate Jay Lehr, but until now, I only liked mystic love and bright time.

By the way, just to make my point on this topic, More songs sounding like the 12x era = :P There were so many awesome sounding songs during that time. A-Beat-C was just flat out wonderful then, and other labels are not far behind, so good I miss that period, although I didn't start on eurobeat until the 180s, which was ard 2007.
You and me like a fire tonight
Me and you 2 guardian angels
Now I feel your touch into my heart
A ray of sun~

- Guardian Angels / Oceania

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 15 Apr 2009, 15:48

Oh the SEB in the late 90s. The songs have a bit of age to them, but are still wonderful. It reminds me of a time when eurobeat didn't sound so goddamn complicated and with only three labels. It would be refreshing to hear that sound again on a new SEB.

euro up north
Eurobeat Fan

Post by euro up north » 12 May 2009, 21:20

A revivel would be great.
The first years around early 90´s had many very strong songs and a wonderful post Stock aitken waterman sound.
I still love Eurobeat Fantasy and That´s eurobeat. For me this album always will be special.
There were many great songs among the first 100 SEB-albums.
The best fastsongs serie is for me Euromach and Aerobeat.

The last years hasn´t been my cup of tee, but everthing has to evelute. That is the process of music.

I hope SEB will end at 200 and finish a 20 year era, to start on something new.

A new serie and hopyfully a glinch of the magic beginning of Eurobeat in the music.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 13 May 2009, 12:06

I would jizz my pants if the new sound was the 90's retro sound.

Songs like Tension- You Got Me Going Crazy. David Essex- Victim Of Love, Rose- Matter Of feeling. David R. Jones- More Than A Dream, That would be a dream cum tru :D

KitsuneStar
Eurobeat Fan

Post by KitsuneStar » 15 May 2009, 00:56

aXu wrote:The most i enjoyed SEB was about 80-130 volumes. Oh please, let this be true, bring back the 90's :).
Completely agreed here, though the 140s were pretty awesome in their own right.

But are we talking Early 90s (Maharaja style stuff), or late 90s (Initial D 1st Stage stuff), here?

Will154
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Will154 » 17 May 2009, 04:42

Oh , if this turns out to be Maharaja Style , im totally for it. The best Eurobeat serie from Avex after SEB.