THE FUTURE OF EUROBEAT, YOUR OPINIONS..

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 10 Nov 2010, 20:14

I'll just wade in here with the observation that...(deep breath)

The main synth sound used in the hook of What D'You Want From Me is virtually identical to Promised Discoland by Melissa White. I don't remember all these discussions about the validity of that song as a Eurobeat track.

The Super Eurobeat series is what it is - I'm with DarkSky in the sense that I really wish everyone would stop being so obsessed with validating all songs that appear on the series as belonging to the "pure" Eurobeat genre or being a completely different genre. Eurobeat is what you want it to be. I could (and have recently) argued that most of the r&b/pop tracks coming out nowadays from Kesha, Rihanna and Usher are in fact dance tracks, but that's really a moot point considering no-one really produces dance music like that anymore, and furthermore the pop and r&b genres are progressing and evolving as well, just like the Eurobeat genre as a whole.

Let's all try to stop justifying why we don't like a song with the old argument that it's just "not Eurobeat". You may not like the production style or the sound, but that doesn't make the song any less valid or relevant on a Eurobeat compilation.

There done - end of conversation. Now I'm off to part the seas... :P

pokecapn
Eurobeat Boom

Post by pokecapn » 10 Nov 2010, 20:24

Vadim wrote:Biggest scare to americans and europeans are hi bpm.
They just can't listen to songs in 145-165 range.
It's a torture to 'em...
Do you even listen to any music that isn't Eurobeat? Drum & Bass is well respected in US dance clubs and even gets radio play in the UK and Europe, and those are 170-180 BPM tracks. Basshunter's material is all 150BPM, too.

Eurobeat's biggest failing is the lack of promotion. If you didn't come from following the producers of Italo, watching Initial D, or playing DDR, you'd honestly have no idea the genre existed. If the artists and producers want to get taken seriously, they should reach out through the conventional club/DJ channels instead of only working with AVEX or self-publishing. House has seen a big italo revival of late. They should be getting on soundcloud, networking with DJs and other italian producers, and posting mixes that incorporate their work, instead of making abandoned myspace pages and reaching out to a forum with maybe a hundred active users on it.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 10 Nov 2010, 21:06

Mainstream dance/pop audience has trouble with hi bpm.
Outright breaking out of such poppy genre on hardcore techno club croud is counterproductive.

Eurobeat can be sold in Germany for sure, as the road was paved by
S.I.B.'s german style eurodisco-hi nrg major label releases for all of
2000-s. They still like old Modern Talking over there.
Classic style/aishu eurobeat is a lot like old MT...only much faster.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 11 Nov 2010, 00:02

DarkSky wrote:Compare:

Mela - Help me

With a regular hi-speed Eurobeat song.

Matt Land Pamela

Oh no! what happened to Eurobeat, the sounds are so different, and wow the BPM is so high. And what are those synths, they're so strong. It's doesn't sound like Eurobeat anymore!

NO!

Just accept the way music is, it's evolving, and it will always be.
I'm not defending or attacking any parties, but I want to make clear that music is something that evolves, and it will always evolve. Eurobeat is music, so it evolves as well.

End of discussion for me.
Speak truth my Dutch Eurobeat brother!
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 11 Nov 2010, 01:45

Vadim wrote:Listen to Doc.
He knows well whence eurobeat came from. He saw it happen in real time.

We can't afford extreme diversion in style because we have no other eurobeat outside at all. Conservation and preservation is vital to eurobeat existance.
You make it sounds like an endangered species. I sometimes don't get Avex's choices when it comes to putting certain songs on an album, but I really do think they know what they are doing for THE JAPANESE AUDIENCE. Maybe, just maybe, putting Melody <Ballade> on an SEB may help increase it's sale (it was a pretty popular J-Euro track).

If I've even learned anything about evolution, it's that is a pretty good thing. I would have gotten pretty bored if by 209 they were still doing the same style of music from SEB 66 or so. The whole pop disdain is a pretty stupid idea. It all sounds alike...bleh. To someone who doesn't listen to Eurobeat, they pretty much would tell you the same thing. Bitching about should eurobeat is "deviating" is pretty much pointless because the studios and Avex (and other minor outlets for eurobeat) are going to keep doing what they are doing.

That's my piece and done with this cyclical discussion. Haha.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 11 Nov 2010, 08:31

this discussion could go on for days, months and years, but the main important points have been brought up , besides we are now seeing this

DarkSky wrote:
Compare:

Mela - Help me

With a regular hi-speed Eurobeat song.

Matt Land Pamela

Oh no! what happened to Eurobeat, the sounds are so different, and wow the BPM is so high. And what are those synths, they're so strong. It's doesn't sound like Eurobeat anymore!
which is totally ridiculous ,because Help Me was not actually concidered Eurobeat. I know what you trying to say, but you are still missing the point. The reason why I probobly made a smoooth transition from Italo-Hi NRG -Eurbeat without problems was because I was there following TIME,ABEATC,SAIAFAM from the start, and noticed the small changes here and there in bpms, soundworlds and what not. It was a gradual progression, but the basic Italo melodies were still there, just at a much faster speed.

Now a days the changes some labels are making are no longer gradual and can be quite tramautizing to the ear. Especially when Eurobeat starts to enter the realm of Radio pop or Urban dance music. it is for a lack of a better term, losing it's identity. This is one of the main reasons I herald HRG Attack as Eurobeat crusaders, cuz they are bringing back that Italo sound onto todays Eurobeat and reminding the fans where it originated from. I know its not their intention, but I see it as a way to keep those Urban and radio pop soundworlds from tainting Eurobeat any further.

It seems both sides; old and new school fans, have valid arguments and the only comon ground is that the series can still offers each of us something we can enjoy, so I guess we can leave it at that untill the next Jager song appears on the series.

here is a quote that pretty much seems like a possible future; rather than a sarcastic remark, if the Euoobeat evolution guidlines are taken too lightly. I know you were kidding, but it seriously made sense.

nine
The evolution of Eurobeat:

Mela - Help Me
to
Matt Land - Pamela
to
Generic Dance/Pop music

RIP SEB

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 11 Nov 2010, 08:45

My take:

I welcome new sounds to Eurobeat, just so long as they don't overtake the Eurobeat-ness of the song.

That is all.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 11 Nov 2010, 17:58

You make it sounds like an endangered species.
It is..!

pokecapn
Eurobeat Boom

Post by pokecapn » 11 Nov 2010, 19:13

Vadim wrote:Mainstream dance/pop audience has trouble with hi bpm.
Outright breaking out of such poppy genre on hardcore techno club croud is counterproductive.
Given that Eurobeat isn't mainstream or poppy at all, and that the "hardcore techno club crowd" is a significant amount of money and popularity to command compared to what Eurobeat currently garners, I don't see how my point is irrelevant, or how trying to promote the music is counterproductive. There are plenty of Top 40 and other remixes in D&B and hardcore anyway.

drnrg, I'm starting to get convinced that you've never actually listened to the radio. Even the "poppiest" of eurobeat sounds NOTHING like what's on the top 40, until you go back in time far enough and removed from the US enough to where you're comparing Got To Be Certain with its cover off SEB 191.

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 12 Nov 2010, 02:00

zoupzuop2 wrote:My take:

I welcome new sounds to Eurobeat, just so long as they don't overtake the Eurobeat-ness of the song.

That is all.
QFT. I love variety in the eurobeat genre; I just don't want it to lose its identity as eurobeat.

dj1ofakind2k10
Euro To B

Post by dj1ofakind2k10 » 12 Nov 2010, 06:08

That is all.
QFT also. There are many different styles in Eurobeat and I can honestly say that I don't prefer one style over another. If we are talking about the direction of the actual Eurobeat "songs", then I say that the Eurobeat industry still has a great future ahead of it.

Take Jager's "What D'You Want From Me" for example: I've said in my own review of SEB 209 that the intro "sounds like a mix between a DJ Hero track and/or a Black Eye Peas song", but that isn't a bad thing at all. I'm a huge fan of the DJ Hero soundtrack and BEP, so to hear this in a Eurobeat song was refreshing and an interesting take. The only thing I did not like about the song was the use of what sounded like an auto-tune effect within the song (auto-tune = overrated/over used (In most pop songs today) :wink: ) [If I am wrong, please correct me on that, but that's what it sounds like. It may be a Flanger effect but it sounds close to auto-tune].

I also made a comment about about "New Horizon" in my review saying "the song would of been perfect if it had an awesome guitar solo". Come to find out, it ORIGINALLY did have a solo but when it came to editing they took it out :eek: . Things like THAT seem to hurt new Eurobeat artists and songs, because it feels like they are limited to what they can do. Listen to a lot of Dave Rodger's songs and they have guitar solos everywhere (Eldorado, Kingdom Of Rock, Wild Reputation 2005, etc.) but they took out this one? Maybe because I am a fan of Eurobeat instead of actually being in the Eurobeat Business I don't understand. In my opinion, I think the solo would of been an excellent part of an already excellent song.

As much as we love songs sticking to the "formula" of typical Eurobeat, we're going to have to change with the times and attempt to listen and try to give new visions of Eurobeat a chance. Like I stated earlier in this thread, when you have a song like "Space Boy" that has been on over 30+ albums, it seems like the industry can't get past that point of success. Avex and other producers have got to try to put their faith in the new talent and let them go with it. Heck, if music never evolved it would all sound the same and it wouldn't have a "nice funky boogie", would it :D ?

[Just a side note: Tora's "Call my name" was a typical Eurobeat song, but that line was just hilarious! No disrespect or anything but LOL] .

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 12 Nov 2010, 07:29

pokecapn
drnrg, I'm starting to get convinced that you've never actually listened to the radio. Even the "poppiest" of eurobeat sounds NOTHING like what's on the top 40, until you go back in time far enough and removed from the US enough to where you're comparing Got To Be Certain with its cover off SEB 191.
You are right, I don't. I listen to Rick Dees Top 40 online and just avbout every song on there uses the auto tune effect. That's why I picked up on its use on WDYWFM. The title is also inspired by Adam Lambert's hit as is a little part of the song's melody. Adam Lambert's song is in fact pretty good guitar driven pop. The soundworlds and that autotune effect throughout the WDYWFM song, sounds a lot like something one could hear on the radio. Most likely on some Tiao Cruz cd, so don't tell me it's not an adequate comparison.

Anyway, like what was allready said, I just wish AVEX could conserve what's left of the tru Eurobeat sound and leave the urban techniques and sounds to the pop genre. Over and out

8)

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 13 Nov 2010, 03:08

Megan188 wrote:

That is all.
QFT. I love variety in the eurobeat genre; I just don't want it to lose its identity as eurobeat.
Thirded :P.

But it's what people consider to be the identy of Eurobeat that clashes.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 13 Nov 2010, 05:16

Megan188 wrote:

That is all.
Fourth-ed.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

pokecapn
Eurobeat Boom

Post by pokecapn » 13 Nov 2010, 17:21

drnrg wrote:The soundworlds and that autotune effect throughout the WDYWFM song, sounds a lot like something one could hear on the radio.
Actually it sounds more housey or trancey than poppy. The intro and the voice in general sound more like they're aiming for MJ than anyone new. You're overestimating how good current pop sounds.