Would Eurobeat be considered club or underground (rave)?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Bonkers
Euroheater

Would Eurobeat be considered club or underground (rave)?

Post by Bonkers » 04 Jan 2011, 00:52

Would Eurobeat be classified as a rave genre or a more club/mainstream genre? Here in America, the genre is pretty nonexistant.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 04 Jan 2011, 00:54

It's club music, yet not exactly mainstream. Definitely not rave though.

How's your discovery of Eurobeat going? Made any breakthrough recently? =)

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 04 Jan 2011, 02:10

I wouldn't call it mainstream by any means, but I would say more club than rave. Leave hyper techno to the rave orientations.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 04 Jan 2011, 04:11

It would be underground. If it took off in the western states, it would probly rise quickly to popularity and then fall completly off the face of the Earth. Much like Disco/ and Hi Energy did in the states.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 04 Jan 2011, 04:19

drnrg wrote:It would be underground. If it took off in the western states, it would probly rise quickly to popularity and then fall completly off the face of the Earth. Much like Disco/ and Hi Energy did in the states.
haha :D

:o

:|

...let's not have that happen.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 04 Jan 2011, 04:46

MAtRiCks wrote:It's club music, yet not exactly mainstream. Definitely not rave though.

How's your discovery of Eurobeat going? Made any breakthrough recently? =)
So far, my collection includes:

Super Eurobeat vol. 47
Super Eurobeat Best of 2000
Euromach 3, 4, & 5
Super Euro Best 100
Eurobeat Flash vol. 6

The cds I have my eyes on now are Euromach 2, 8, & 12.

As far as "Best of..." albums, What are some other good "Best of..####) mixes? And what's this Hyper Techno?

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 04 Jan 2011, 06:18

Hyper Techno is a genre which is some kind of connected to Eurobeat. Hi-BPM Techno, mostly made by Eurobeat producers with some Eurobeat influences in its songs.

You should listen some samples :)

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 04 Jan 2011, 21:36

DarkSky wrote:Hyper Techno is a genre which is some kind of connected to Eurobeat. Hi-BPM Techno, mostly made by Eurobeat producers with some Eurobeat influences in its songs.

You should listen some samples :)
For example:

Fire Bright / BLUE SCORPION feat. ZEXY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDNLR7rP3HU

This is an example of Hyper Techno done by a label also known for it's Eurobeat, SCP. Blue Scorpion is a Hyper techno alias for the same singer that provides the vocals for Fastway and Zexy is also known as Irene. Check out the other vids from that channel for more examples of avex licensed Hyper Techno as well as the suggestions on the side.

Don't mind the dancing, it's just how they dance to it in the clubs in Japan. =P

As for the original topic of this thread, I would say Eurobeat (and Hyper Techno for that matter) are Underground Club music. It does have a club scene, but it's not mainstream (even in Japan) nor is does it fit in to the rave sub culture.

euro up north
Eurobeat Fan

Post by euro up north » 06 Jan 2011, 07:24

No, i dont think eurobeat is either club or rave.

Eurobeat is a substyle of Electronica, but it is an own style that has grown out of Eurodisco.

Kings of Eurobeat is Stock Aitken Waterman. From the beginning of Eurobeat, late 80´s and early 90´s every producer tried to sound like SAW and out there the style Eurobeat evelute until today

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 06 Jan 2011, 14:11

euro up north wrote:No, i dont think eurobeat is either club or rave.

Eurobeat is a substyle of Electronica, but it is an own style that has grown out of Eurodisco.

Kings of Eurobeat is Stock Aitken Waterman. From the beginning of Eurobeat, late 80´s and early 90´s every producer tried to sound like SAW and out there the style Eurobeat evelute until today
I can see why this can be confusing, but we're not reffering to "Club" and "Rave" as genres of music here. Raves and Clubs are outlets where the music is being showcased. For example, Hardcore is Rave music, while R'n'B is Club music.

Eurobeat is indeed played in clubs, but not at mainstream events.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 07 Jan 2011, 09:21

euro up north
I tend to go back even farther than them. For instance Bobby Orlando introduced girl groups like the Flirts as well as Divine, Girly and Tony Caso as far back as 1982. His music had a more Faster Hi NRG sound than SAW did. Also you can't forget German Hi NRG like Mike Mareen ,who introduced a more aggressive sound to Hi NRG. Bobby O also tried to mimic that German sound.

SAW was definately Hi NRG, but more on the pop and New Wave sound. I do totally agree that SAW's Dead Or Alive is the back bone to hundreds of Eurobeat songs, especially the ones at HRG Attack and Pete Burn's singing style inspired many Eurobeat vocalists. Thomas Marin anyone? 8)

rokku
Bad Bad Bad

Post by rokku » 23 Jan 2011, 19:48

To me it kind of depends on why you are trying to categorize it. I agree that in the US I would side with "underground club" because its popular club music in another part of the world that is not popular here.

I also agree that a more accurate way would be to categorize it on how it fits under Electronic Dance Music, because "club" as a genre can be vague.

I wouldn't say Eurobeat is non existent in the US, I would just say it is more underground than Hardstyle, Happy Hardcore and some other Electronic Dance Music you will never hear on the radio or at a club (on a normal night). I'm in the US, and I listen to Eurobeat and I'm even spinning it at a party in February in Massachusetts.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 24 Jan 2011, 03:38

rokku wrote:To me it kind of depends on why you are trying to categorize it. I agree that in the US I would side with "underground club" because its popular club music in another part of the world that is not popular here.

I also agree that a more accurate way would be to categorize it on how it fits under Electronic Dance Music, because "club" as a genre can be vague.

I wouldn't say Eurobeat is non existent in the US, I would just say it is more underground than Hardstyle, Happy Hardcore and some other Electronic Dance Music you will never hear on the radio or at a club (on a normal night). I'm in the US, and I listen to Eurobeat and I'm even spinning it at a party in February in Massachusetts.
You need to come down here to Georgia! Our scene is slowly getting 4/4 music back into it. There was a huge Psytrance event last night that I missed :(