Hi-nrg attack releases

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 15 Feb 2012, 21:14

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy, new Eurobeat!! It may just be 6 new female Hi-NRG Attack tracks, so not a massive amount of variety, but it's most definitely a welcome sight.

I think Bore hit the nail right on the head - the lack of new Super Eurobeat is making these sound even sweeter than I think they normally would, although most are from the better end of HRG's speedy spectrum. Queen Of Your Nights is probably my favourite at the moment - it just has a really nicely written chorus, and of course a super-catchy melody.

Sinclaire might sue for Shake Me To The Power (the line in the chorus "1,2,3,4, FIRE!"...hmm, where have we heard that before? :P) You Got The Power has a slightly different approach with the more stripped back main hook, and it seems to use auto-tune which isn't something I've heard much with in Hi-NRG Attack songs. Your Smile's beats and instrumentation seem to have much more of an 80's feel - I quite like it, although I think it probably has the least interesting vocal melody of the new tracks.

And so to the two new tracks that are probably the more unique of the compilation - Back Into The 80's and Welcome To My Heaven. Back Into The 80's seems to be getting the most attention, and it is definitely the track that stands apart from the rest, but in my opinion it's not in a good way. The major issue I have is the horrible warped vocal effect used throughout, which is particularly bad in the chorus - it makes me think of those awful HRG tracks from the 170's with all the ridiculously ugly vocal effects. I just don't understand how making the vocals so grainy and warped to the point where they are barely decipherable makes for a pleasurable listening experience. The melody and certain production ideas show potential, but the vocals kill it for me. Also, there seems to be the most random over-reliance on little drum-fills all the way through - it gets quite irritating.

As for Welcome To My Heaven, it's far more my bag! Love the warped guitar riff during the intro, and that aggressive hook captures the best sounds from the Hyper Techno and 90's dance music. Every layer of this production adds to the rich, industrial sound that this one has. I kind of hear what Megan was hearing in terms of this being the HRG version of Alix's "Maximisin'", but I also think it is strong enough to stand on its own. Also, it's really good to hear the team finding a happy middle ground between the 160 BPMs and the super-slow Italo-style BPMs that were getting a bit too regular on the SEB series. I also have to say that I absolutely the way the breakdown section is handled from 03:07 - the beat synchopation is so unique in the Eurobeat scene and yet so current when compared to the current pop trends with the 16th note spacing. Awesome stuff.

Can't wait for the other labels to catch on and release some more digital albums for us - come on SCP!! :)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 15 Feb 2012, 22:26

I agree with The Ditz that "Welcome To My Heaven" is better than "Back To The 80s". The later just sound sooooooo weird and very poppy. Welcome To the Heaven is really good. Love that riff. Althought, I only listened to previews. I'll wait until the Junodownload release to get the tracks.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 15 Feb 2012, 22:56

Lebon14 wrote:I agree with The Ditz that "Welcome To My Heaven" is better than "Back To The 80s". The later just sound sooooooo weird and very poppy. Welcome To the Heaven is really good. Love that riff. Althought, I only listened to previews. I'll wait until the Junodownload release to get the tracks.
Quality is pretty decent Lebon - 256kbps AAC. Just in case Juno takes ages to upload them, thought I'd let you know ;)

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 16 Feb 2012, 04:10

Megan188 wrote: Back Into The 80's will probably polarize the eurobeat community, but I actually really like it. It kind of has a dubstep influence.
Yow! That's gonna piss some people off. Dub-Eurobeat? I'm not sure I'm ready for it, even though I do listen to dubstep and eurobeat.

wolftickets1969
Eurobeat Master

Post by wolftickets1969 » 16 Feb 2012, 04:28

They also heavily autotuned/vocodered the original version of You Got The Power as well as Back Into the 80's, guess that's why it was included on this album in addition to the vocaloid chipmunk remixes. Inversely, Elisabetta is non-pitched on Shake Me to the Power and Welcome to My Heaven, which has a hyper techno vibe.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 16 Feb 2012, 04:59

the_ditz wrote:
Lebon14 wrote:I agree with The Ditz that "Welcome To My Heaven" is better than "Back To The 80s". The later just sound sooooooo weird and very poppy. Welcome To the Heaven is really good. Love that riff. Althought, I only listened to previews. I'll wait until the Junodownload release to get the tracks.
Quality is pretty decent Lebon - 256kbps AAC. Just in case Juno takes ages to upload them, thought I'd let you know ;)
I know that. I'll download from iTunes if it's the only option available. I know a lossless version will come out someday so, I'll keep on waiting. I'm suscribed to Hi-NRG Attack new releases on Juno, so I'll receive a mail when it's out :)
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 16 Feb 2012, 09:14

Where are you guys previewing the songs? itunes doesn't let you preview. All I see is a cat on the cover art.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 16 Feb 2012, 09:45

drnrg wrote:Where are you guys previewing the songs? itunes doesn't let you preview. All I see is a cat on the cover art.
itunes does let you preview, but you'll need to view the album in the program itself to get the full 1:30 previews - that browser webpage version will only give you 30 seconds ;)

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 16 Feb 2012, 18:32

Wataru Akiyama wrote:Yow! That's gonna piss some people off. Dub-Eurobeat? I'm not sure I'm ready for it, even though I do listen to dubstep and eurobeat.
"Classic eurobeat" as it currently stands obviously isn't working from a marketing perspective, so what do you expect them to do?

The thing I've loved about HRG in recent times is their willingness to push boundaries and try new stuff out. Five years ago I never thought HRG would be the ones spearheading any sort of change in the genre, but I was wrong. "Dub-eurobeat" might just be the thing needed to jumpstart the genre again.

Keep up the great work HRG!

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 17 Feb 2012, 05:37

Dubstep can stay in hell. I prefer to see Eurobeat to stay an underground genre instead of being destroyed by the horrible genre of music that is dubstep.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 17 Feb 2012, 08:48

"Classic eurobeat" as it currently stands obviously isn't working from a marketing perspective, so what do you expect them to do?
Marketing research shows that 75% of eurobeat buyers worldwide preffer traditional fast and agressive eurobeat (check out Eurobeat Survey).

Eurobeat is bought by eurobeat fan community nearly exclusively.
We need to work with our own fan community - with how to get our own eurobeat fans to come back to buying eurobeat.

It is a big bummer that SEB just was cut off before right steps could be tried in eurobeat production and marketing to hardcore fan audience.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 17 Feb 2012, 09:37

what in the world is dubstep? Is it video game music?

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 17 Feb 2012, 10:42

drnrg wrote:what in the world is dubstep? Is it video game music?
drnrg... are you... that late in p- I mean, popular techno music? Search it on Youtube. Literally : big bass with warped sounds that sounds awfully awful.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 17 Feb 2012, 14:20

drnrg wrote:what in the world is dubstep? Is it video game music?
Music for warzones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBEribabgTQ

Dare you not to feel like you're charging into a high-tech urban combat zone.

I play MW3 -this much better- on Dubstep.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 17 Feb 2012, 15:38

Vadim wrote: It is a big bummer that SEB just was cut off before right steps could be tried in eurobeat production and marketing to hardcore fan audience.
SEB is not cut off!!