Fake artist names ..Why ?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Velox
Bad Bad Bad

Fake artist names ..Why ?

Post by Velox » 06 Jul 2014, 05:54

:???: Hey guys I'm just wondering why Eurobeat artists always using fakes names like Leslie parrish is in fact " Clara Morgoni "
I don't really understand why :/ And I think that she's "Cherry" too I'm kinda confused lol

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 06 Jul 2014, 06:46

Welcome to the world of Eurobeat (well, dance music in general).

You will see this across many different genres (House, Trance, Psytrance, Happy Hardcore, Techno, etc). It gives labels a "wider catalog" of sounds/avenues. Look at ALL the tracks Clara Maroni has sung. It would look bland for a record label to have Clara Maroni listed over 100 times.

And also, picking a new alias provides a singer/producer to try something different. For example, take Daft Punk: for 3 albums, they pumped out french disco/techno sounds...then Random Access Memories came out, and sounded NOTHING like Daft Punk(as we knew them).

So, with Eurobeat, you find it easier to associate artist names with certain labels. Like, Go Go Girls would be A-BeatC/GoGo's Music...Cherry would be Delta, Franz Tornado would by Hi-NRG Attack, Irene is SCP....Once you learn the ring of the labels, it will be better.

Here's another example from one of my favorite Happy Hardcore artists:
Scott Brown
Aliases: Annihilator, DJ Equazion, Dream Collective, Firestarter (2), Futuretribe, Genaside, Genetik, Hardcore Authority, Hardware (3), Lord Of Hardcore, Mook (2), Mr. Brown, New Style Anarchists, Orbit (2), Plus System, Punisher (2), Scotchman, The, SP 12, Trance Fiction, X-Tech (2)

In Groups:
Analogue, Bass Reaction, Bass X, Dansatak, De-viation Crew, DJ Neophyte & Scott Brown, Equazion, Hyperact, Interstate (3), Kinetic Pleasure, Marc Smith vs. Scott Brown, Massive, Q-Tex, Queens Boro Crew, Renegade & Static, Scott Brown & Brisk, Scott Brown & Gillian Tennant, Sub Source

....so it's not just Eurobeat :)

eXtaticus
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by eXtaticus » 06 Jul 2014, 10:40

-redacted-
Last edited by eXtaticus on 19 Dec 2017, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 06 Jul 2014, 11:03

Velox
Confused Hey guys I'm just wondering why Eurobeat artists always using fakes names like Leslie parrish is in fact " Clara Morgoni "
I don't really understand why Meh And I think that she's "Cherry" too I'm kinda confused lol
I never understand why people would rather see the same name again and again? You need a little versatility in Eurobeat to keep it interesting.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 06 Jul 2014, 15:40

Dr, they certainly have laid off the numerous aliases over the past few years. It can certainly be confusing when an alias is used by like 4 to 6 people. I know that was an issue back in the day.

I think of some aliases are used for certain sounds. Take singer Maurizio De Jorio. He has sung with some many aliases. Under Casanova, he sings more love songs where his songs under D Essex, Niko, and Dejo are energetic. And then he sings as Roswell with sci-fi sounds. It makes sense to a point.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 06 Jul 2014, 22:18

para_rigby
Dr, they certainly have laid off the numerous aliases over the past few years. It can certainly be confusing when an alias is used by like 4 to 6 people. I know that was an issue back in the day.
D-Essex is a great example of how to do the name game right. Don't forget he even took on Max Coveri as an alias and the song's sounded ven a bit different.

Anyway, That was exactly the whole point. You really had to keep up with your favourite aliases song style to tell them apart. TIME was prpobly the best at it. Gino knew how to choose the right name for the right song. HRG Attack is probobly the worst at it. Any alias can sing any song and it wouldn't make a difference. so much that halfway through Festari just took over half of Rimonti's rostre. Claudio Magnani and Ken Laszlo were two huge exceptions that really added versatility to the label. I still prefer the whole mythology behind artist names instead of just seeing David Dima or Tipsy and Tipsy behind every song.

Another label that is pretty damn great at it has been DELTA.
They introduced us to Boris and J.Stark, which may be Luka? Anyway the style of songs is really different from Paul Harris and Luke.

Anyway, This is a topic that I can write on for hours, so I'll move on now.

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 06 Jul 2014, 22:58

Yeah, the points you bring up drnrg are the main reasons I always had such an issue with the different aliases for the same artist. It's mostly Hi-NRG Attack that wrecked the idea of different aliases releasing songs of distinct moods, since a lot of their songs are so generic that every alias often ended up just singing a song that any other vocalist or alias could have taken on and no-one would have noticed.

I guess the other reason I was never really a massive fan of the phenomenon is because when I properly started following the SEB series, SCP were the pinnacle for me (not much has changed in that respect) and by and large, the modern SCP post-140 has used one alias for each different vocalist (aside from Ennio using Fastway and Dusty, but even the Dusty alias appears to have vanished now). I remember the shock I felt when having a conversation with #Infinity and he was telling me about Melody Castellari and how she provided the vocals for an insane number of different aliases - I just couldn't figure out the reason behind it, but I guess when the vocalists available are limited, you have to find ways of making the offerings seem greater than they would with only a few aliases per label. ;)

eXtaticus
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by eXtaticus » 08 Jul 2014, 14:37

-redacted-
Last edited by eXtaticus on 19 Dec 2017, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 09 Jul 2014, 01:27

the_ditz wrote:I remember the shock I felt when having a conversation with #Infinity and he was telling me about Melody Castellari and how she provided the vocals for an insane number of different aliases
FYI, I technically identify as female.

As for my thoughts, I agree with the_ditz that the use of multiple aliases for the same vocalist is pretty much a waste. I know some people think there's a certain creativity to this method, like the labels are creating fictional characters or something, but for me, it just feels like they're trying to hide the real identities of their in-house artists, rather than celebrating them like SCP. In this situation, I prefer frankness over posing.
ImageImage

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 09 Jul 2014, 06:29

#Infinity
As for my thoughts, I agree with the_ditz that the use of multiple aliases for the same vocalist is pretty much a waste. I know some people think there's a certain creativity to this method, like the labels are creating fictional characters or something, but for me, it just feels like they're trying to hide the real identities of their in-house artists, rather than celebrating them like SCP. In this situation, I prefer frankness over posing.
SCP has thier amount of Aliases too you know? Belight, Bamboo Bimbo, An- G, Scream Team, Irene. I'm not 100% sure if they are actually all different singers, but in each case I'm glad they have introduced new names to fit with the different mood of each song.

Not to pick on you, but you always say , you feel like they are hiding thier true identities. Guys it's not about hiding at all. This is one topic that has always fascinated me and I have converstaions with Eurobeat producers about it for hours.

I will try to explain it as best I can, so bare with me.
Question?

Why even use artists names?. Why not just Claudio Magnani, Clara Moroni, Gino Caria etc...? I'll tell you why, because Eurobeat would have gotten old real quick. Eurobeat is not a thriving business where an artists can release new cds every 2-3 years and take a break inbetween. Eurobeat had to capitalize on thier wave of popularity when it had the chance and multiple aliases was the smart way to keep the music comming. Also the whole idea behind Super Eurobeat would have been useless back in the late 90s and early 2000s, when it basically just showcased TIME, ABeatC, and DELTA songs. It wouldn't have sold the way ti did if it just featured one artist name sniging 4-5 songs a disc. Same applies to Eurobeat Flash and Euromach. When it suddenly became booming popular was when it featured a record amount of aliases on each disc.

Anyway the alias thing is in integral part of the mythology behind Italo Disco all the way up to Eurobeat. It's an important reason why it has survived this long.Mauro Frina is most likely the Godfather of different aliases when he worked at TIME records. I Venti D' Azzurro was to hendle each different artist name as if they were all different identities. Even at the year end lists, like favourite male/female singers; every artist name was treated as in they were separte identies. Even when Dave Rodgers took over the King Kong & DJ girls alias; it was never mentioned. Why because Italo/Eurobeat is ultimately about the artist name , not the real vocalists. The alias is what's selling the song. Disclosing it would eventually hurt it and for that sake the Italo label in question. In, fact Iventi D'Azzurro worked hand in hand with the labels to further promote thier songs and whatever new projects were in the horizon.

Now here is the other side of not relying on alias names to sell your music.

the English H- NRG acts of the 80's. One of the reasons it died out so quick was becuase it was basically SAW productions of Bananarama, Rick Astly,Dead Or Alive etc.. People got bored real quick, because it was basically the same rythms and beats sung by the same artists.

The Latin Hi-NRG disco movement, thrived a lot more, but Underground, by comming up with new and exciting aliases. Booby O sung many songs under different names as well as the rest of his flock. This kept Hi-NRG releases pumping out at least till the end of 1989. The Maimi and Latin Freestyle movement also floowed the same idea, but if you notice only certain acts ever crossed over to the pop charts.

So in the end, I belive one of the primier reasons Eurobeat would never thrive in the mainstream is because of thier practice of different artists names. Those who think themselves so rightious in the music industry would simplt feel they are being lied to or cheated into buying the same artists' music. They would somehow try to incorporate the whole Mili Vanilli fiacso to Eurobeat.

So like it or not Eurobeat aliases will keep comming out every once in a while to keep Eurobeat fresh and lively.

and those shortlived Eurobeat acts that were hiding thier true identities so not be shuned from thier own peers, are rightfully not in the Eurobeat scene and I can't say I miss them either. An artist who has no pride singing Eurobeat, really has no reason to be part of it iether.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 09 Jul 2014, 16:37

drnrg wrote:SCP has thier amount of Aliases too you know? Belight, Bamboo Bimbo, An- G, Scream Team, Irene. I'm not 100% sure if they are actually all different singers, but in each case I'm glad they have introduced new names to fit with the different mood of each song.
All of those aliases have specific reasons for existing. To begin with, Irene and An- G are the primary names assumed by their respective vocalists. Bamboo Bimbo, while technically an alternate name for Ace, pitches up Codenotti's vocals to create a notably different persona; it's not like SCP is giving him a different pseudonym for a song that may as well just be another Ace track. Scream Team is traditionally a group of multiple vocalists, rather than just a single lead.
Why even use artists names?. Why not just Claudio Magnani, Clara Moroni, Gino Caria etc...? I'll tell you why, because Eurobeat would have gotten old real quick. Eurobeat is not a thriving business where an artists can release new cds every 2-3 years and take a break inbetween. Eurobeat had to capitalize on thier wave of popularity when it had the chance and multiple aliases was the smart way to keep the music comming. Also the whole idea behind Super Eurobeat would have been useless back in the late 90s and early 2000s, when it basically just showcased TIME, ABeatC, and DELTA songs. It wouldn't have sold the way ti did if it just featured one artist name sniging 4-5 songs a disc. Same applies to Eurobeat Flash and Euromach. When it suddenly became booming popular was when it featured a record amount of aliases on each disc.
I didn't know using different names apparently causes the music to become fresher. If the labels wanted to show off true variety, they would hire a greater array of vocalists, rather than just getting the same three people to perform everything under ten different names each for years on end, like Asia and Hi-NRG Attack.
Anyway the alias thing is in integral part of the mythology behind Italo Disco all the way up to Eurobeat. It's an important reason why it has survived this long.Mauro Frina is most likely the Godfather of different aliases when he worked at TIME records. I Venti D' Azzurro was to hendle each different artist name as if they were all different identities. Even at the year end lists, like favourite male/female singers; every artist name was treated as in they were separte identies. Even when Dave Rodgers took over the King Kong & DJ girls alias; it was never mentioned. Why because Italo/Eurobeat is ultimately about the artist name , not the real vocalists. The alias is what's selling the song. Disclosing it would eventually hurt it and for that sake the Italo label in question. In, fact Iventi D'Azzurro worked hand in hand with the labels to further promote thier songs and whatever new projects were in the horizon.
Dave Rodgers, Domino, Virginelle, Fastway, etc. didn't lose their value as artists by sticking to one or two names at a time. The former two would even appear on the covers of their singles and independent albums back in the 1990's. I know that they're still using special aliases for these tracks, as opposed to their real names, but in this case, it's pretty much the same thing that many attention-seeking western pop artists do, such as Lady Gaga, Snoop Dogg, and will.i.am, among others.
They would somehow try to incorporate the whole Mili Vanilli fiacso to Eurobeat.
A lot of eurobeat labels already did exactly the Milli Vanilli stunt with their artists, using models to represent aliases whose vocals were lent by somebody else. Titles as huge as Bazooka Girl and Niko are primary examples of this; Christiana Cucchi was never actually Bazooka Girl in the studio and only recorded a few songs under just "Chris." Do you guys realize that we still know absolutely nothing about the actual vocalist behind tracks like Velfarre 2000, Ike Ike, and Super Euro Flash besides her first initial (R.)? Niko's model, Eduardo, at least sounds quite similar to Maurizio DeJorio and therefore is a suitable replacement during live performances, but the situation there still just as ingenuous.
ImageImage

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 09 Jul 2014, 23:53

I like multiple aliases when they make sense. I.E, Oda when Maurizio is pitched down so as to be unrecognizable. Niko, D.Essex, and Marko Polo, however, always sounded pretty interchangable and could have been one alias. If I can remember the song title and who the singer was, but can't figure out which alias they used, there is a problem.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 10 Jul 2014, 00:24

#Infinity
I didn't know using different names apparently causes the music to become fresher. If the labels wanted to show off true variety, they would hire a greater array of vocalists, rather than just getting the same three people to perform everything under ten different names each for years on end, like Asia and Hi-NRG Attack
That is just it. TIME allways had a huge array of vocalists. At one point all these and more were employed at the label. Gino Caria, Clara Moroni, Elena Feretti, Gianni Corraini, Nando Bonini, Claudio Magnani, Alberto Benattii(first Silver)...and still Gino took on 5-6 alliases names himself. Fictional groups and bands were also formed to keep the names flowing.This was also when Italo/Eurobeat was more profitable, so I guess they could employ more vocalists? I highly doubt ;that these days,new singers are knocking down the doors at the labels' offices to sing Eurobeat.

I guess if some of you were around that era or ever read any of the Iventi D'Azzurro issues, you would understand and maybe accept more of the reasoning behind aliases? Take for example the fictional interviews featured. One week Lou Grant was being interviewed, and weeks after it might be Atrium that was being featured. Clearly both were Gino Caria at the TIME, but you got two different entities. . The crazy thing is that it was all just on paper. Questions and answers. basically just done to promote upcomming 12 inch singles for the labels. They would never get confused over thier songs with other aliases. The subject was treated with much care.This is how you know; the artist name, not the vocalists behind it was the important part of the label. The artist name sold the song. It was done so precises , y tweeking or hyping the vocals just a bit for each different alias, that you weren't 100% sure they were the same vocalist. Before I joined up EP Prime, I actually thought Gino's names, were all different singers. The reason was ,cuase I never cared to examine any further. I was content with just being bombarded with new material month after month.

I don't know the current rotre of the labels, but I would guess no more than 4-5 main vocalists are currently employed by each. In some cases; like HRG Attack and Sun Fire even less. and come to think of it; who's actually left at DELTA besides Luka and Clara?

Nowadays ,Eurobeat its running on Crutches and self promotion more than anything....and us; the fans , so aliases have to and should be introduced to keep the labels sounding fresh.

In the kind of world that we live today. facebook, twitter etc, where everyones life is an open book; Aliases or A.K.As as they would be viewed in a post OBhama era, are only used by terrorists. The fact is; Aliases were the key to a booming Eurobeat era. Without aliases you have what seems to be 2-3 vocalists employed at each label. On the surface that looks weak and in some cases , sounds weak as well.

Final thought:You want a strong Eurobeat label. Do it the way TIME did in the 90s.

Akira
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Akira » 10 Jul 2014, 17:12

drnrg wrote:#Infinity
Aliases were the key to a booming Eurobeat era.
I completely agree with you. They worked in the past. However, I don't think that will work right now. Just like many of the people in here, I get confused by the use of multiple aliases (or at least, I got when I discovered eurobeat). It's not rare for me to listen to a song and know the vocalist but not the actual alias, and that's in my opinion a problem when you are maketing something. Newcomers to the genre will find it confusing too and therefore I don't think it's doing any good to the current situation of eurobeat.

The main difference between multiple aliases and using only one alias per vocalist is the marketing approach. Multiple aliases focuses on the label, while using one alias per vocalist focuses on the artist. I personally think the second approach is more suited nowadays. It is far less confusing and allows a more efficient marketing strategy (using facebook pages, uploading pictures, etc.)

Personally, I prefer one vocalist who sings 10 different songs than three different artist names that sound exactly the same and have only 3/4 songs each. In my opinion I would really like it if the eurobeat artists actually didn't depend on SEB and started selling singles and albums, and SEB was just a compilation (as it happens in other music genres).
Amateur indie eurobeat producer. Check out my music here! https://soundcloud.com/super-nova-473010963

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 10 Jul 2014, 18:14

I think the electronic age has caused newer listeners to become more disillusioned with the idea of excessive aliases. Eurobeat originated in the 80's, back when the internet wasn't commercial and music was sold physically. Nowadays, people can look up artist information by researching or contacting them online. With so much data and information flowing across people's minds, the value of anonymizing your artists has been somewhat stymied. Since you, drnrg, began listening to eurobeat during the 80's, I'm guessing this style of utilizing artists seems almost personal to you, but I guess fans of this era lean a little more towards real identities instead.
ImageImage