100 SEBs ago...

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

100 SEBs ago...

Post by KiraTM » 04 Oct 2016, 15:16

Many of us are into (Super) Eurobeat for a long time now. We have good and bad memories of past eras of SEB. This thread is for talking about the SEB which came out "100 SEBs ago".

This month's release is 241. then let's talk about SEB 141 here!
What did you think of this release back then (or when you liestened to it first, whenever it was), what do you think now? Are there tracks you still love? Which ones were remarkable for that era?
You can even write a complete review!

Note: This thread is about each single SEB "100 SEBs ago", NOT the whole era at once. We can talk about SEB 142 when 242 comes out in February, 2017.
We could also talk about Best of 2004 when the Best of 2016 comes out this December.

Then let's start:

1.Dusty - The Fire And The Rain
2.Lolita - Kiss 2 Kiss
3.Morris - Bad Tonight
4.Susy Wender - Runaway
5.T.I.M.E. - Another One Bites The Dust
6.Nikita Jr. - WWW iLoveU
7.D.Essex - Master Power
8.Go Go Girls - Hot For Your Body
9.Cherry - Sha La La
10.Mad Cow And The Royal Eurobeat Orchestra Of Bazookistan Feat. The Supertroyka Girls - I Want Your Balalaika
11.Vanessa - If One More Day
12.Manuel - I've Got To Go
13.Leslie Parrish - I Say No
14.Ace - Welcome To The Real World
15.Denise - Gimme Gimme Love
16.A-Beat Boys - We'll Stop The Time
17.Annie - To The Stars
18.Jimmy Bravo - Queen Of Fire

Give us all what you can say about 141!

(You can also tell me if this idea was good or bad.)

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 04 Oct 2016, 15:36

SEB141 was about the time when I started purchasing the albums initially. The album was and still is a masterpiece. Especially the A-Beat C entries on this album are spectacular. Getting SCP/HRG on the series was a nice start as well. A very solid album, yet not as good as the best entries the 140s provided. Kiss 2 Kiss is my pick for the album highlight, though it's a very tough contest with so many good tracks.
Last edited by Bore on 04 Oct 2016, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 04 Oct 2016, 15:38

This album was a game changer with SCP, Vibration, and HI-NRG Attack making their debuts. There are so many great tracks on this one. The Vanessa track was the only one I didn't care for. This was also the debut of MY FAVORITE time singer, Annie. She warms my heart.

Other things to think about. This was the first time in like 80 albums that had more sounds than just from Delta, A-Beat C, and Time. Such a creative album.

Wish I could celebrate this album more, but I lose words.

AND YES...keep up this idea. Makes me nostalgic.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 04 Oct 2016, 20:48

The 140s... Imo, it's when Eurobeat really started to shine. Of course there were hits hits before. That's not what I'm saying. Diversity helped SEB so much and especially with SCP. SEB 141 is a good album... that cover of Another One Bites The Dust is the highlight for me. "Welcome To The Real World" is pretty good though. My Foobar playlist has 10 of the 18 tracks. So, it's good. :P

SEB 1 to 63... Only Time and A-Beat-C. You can understand why people would say that it would get old. And then, Delta appeared on SEB 64. A breath of fresh air! However, nobody appeared until... well... SEB 141. That's why I consider SEB 100 to SEB 140 the lamest SEB decades. So that's why the inclusion of SCP, Hi-NRG Attack and (the short lived) Vibration was a god-sent to SEB.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 04 Oct 2016, 22:25

I don't own 141, but I do own 143 & Best of 2003

Dusty-Fire And The Rain...such a great memorable track!

Lolita- Kiss 2 Kiss (I wish this track popped up more on anniversary albums instead of Jealousy)

Nikita Jr, -WWW iLoveYou Hi-NRG Attack shining through and through (wish they would return to this sound)

Go Go Girls - Hot For Your Body Nice and hyper...SunFire/GGM...can this return as well?

Manuel - I've Got To Go THIS is Manuel to me...not his newer stuff.

zyx
Euro To B

Post by zyx » 05 Oct 2016, 03:58

SEB 141 was a big breakthrough for the series. In a way, it picked up where Euromach left off by introducing HNA, VIB, and SCP to the label pool.

I recall super vividly the first time I heard BIG ON EMOTION and being blown away by its production value. For the time, it was and still is pretty amazing, if not a bit overplayed.

In general, I think there's many tracks that people will remember 141 for, making it a pretty strong album. Out of the tracks most people probably won't remember it for, WE'LL STOP THE TIME (anything Benati related is stellar imo), BAD TONIGHT, and GIMME GIMME LOVE are my favorites.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 05 Oct 2016, 04:08

I have SEB 141 in my collection. back then; I was still collecting the discs for the sake of collecting and owning them, that particular album is not one of my favs.

First off; we are still dealing with edits instead of extendeds, so that left me with much to desire. Since then; I'm happy to say I have ; the songs I really enjoyed, from the particular album, in extended.

TIME:
Everyone knows TIME was my favorite; untill they were no longer on the series. This includes Eurogrooves. My fav off that disc is still Vanessa - "If One More Day". Elena Ferritt's vocals were absolute magic to my ears. If anything I also still loved the appearance of the classic aliases. I also always fell for Dall Ora's long intros; which made the edits seem a bit longer than they really were. I was happy once I found "If One More Day" in extended. The Queen cover was interesting, but didn't blow me away. I also do not have this song in extended.

HRG and DELTA were always close seconds; as far as my favorite tracks are concerened. Morris's "Bad Tonight" really hit the spot. Denise - Gimmi Gimmi Love was another NRGetic song on the disc. D-Essex was pretty mega-hit proof in those days, so "Master Power" became my most played DELTA song from that album.

For HRG Attack I opted for ;the crazy sounds of ,Mad Cow And The Royal Eurobeat Orchestra Of Bazookistan Feat. The Supertroyka Girls - I Want Your Balalaika(what a waky fucking long title ,:!: . I also got into "WWW I Love" from Nikita Jr. in the following weeks.

Vibration was a new add to the series? Anyway; I mostly enjoyed all their songs, cuz of the diifrerent sound. I remeber really overplaying Jimmy Bravo's -"Queen Of Fire".

The other labels were really hit or miss for me. Including AbeatC; which had kinda lost there way for me.

The only other song I liked was Dusty's "The Fire And The Rain". I remeber Dusty having hit after hit ; as far as I was concerened. Especially his songs on EuroMach; which I now have in extended too.

BTW, this is a pretty cool idea. I might even grab my Eurobeat song of the day from some of these albumes as the thread grows.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 05 Oct 2016, 13:30

I think this is a great idea, it engages discussion (somewhat) and gives more activity to the forum, do keep it up.

Moving on, I actually as a whole have no real good impression of the 140's in general. 141, I get that it will probably have a great significance as this is the first volume that has the "complete" SEB roster with SCP and Hi-NRG Attack on board, but other than that, my impression remains the same till now.

Dusty - The Fire And The Rain
Lolita - Kiss 2 Kiss
D.Essex - Master Power

Even then, these aren't great tracks IMO, overall really underwhelming.
You and me like a fire tonight
Me and you 2 guardian angels
Now I feel your touch into my heart
A ray of sun~

- Guardian Angels / Oceania

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 05 Oct 2016, 15:04

WNight wrote:I think this is a great idea, it engages discussion (somewhat) and gives more activity to the forum, do keep it up.

Moving on, I actually as a whole have no real good impression of the 140's in general. 141, I get that it will probably have a great significance as this is the first volume that has the "complete" SEB roster with SCP and Hi-NRG Attack on board, but other than that, my impression remains the same till now.

Dusty - The Fire And The Rain
Lolita - Kiss 2 Kiss
D.Essex - Master Power

Even then, these aren't great tracks IMO, overall really underwhelming.
I think for long time listeners, it's that the 140s was a time that eurobeat transitioned into a new era. I collectively put 141-169 as an era, in my head, but that's just me. A more modern feeling started to happen when you brought on the three new labels and the Big 3 had made more modern sounding tracks. Of course, I hold the 141-169 close to me since that's when I started listening to eurobeat. People who started earlier or later may have a varied opinion about this.

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 05 Oct 2016, 16:27

This is a great idea! I listened to the entire album today for this topic.
KiraTM wrote:What did you think of this release back then (or when you liestened to it first, whenever it was), what do you think now? Are there tracks you still love? Which ones were remarkable for that era?
I remember that since vol 134 the albums only had 15 4-minute songs each instead of 18. However, A beat C still had 7 slots, which was a waste, because A beat C was at its worst in that period (in my opinion, ofcourse), almost every song featuring that same shaky synths that annoyed to death.

Eurobeat Flash had ended, so vol.141 with new labels and 18 songs looked very promising. But it also meant even less songs by my favorite labels Time and Delta. Unfortunately, there were only a few of songs I liked on 141. I still like those same songs.

The best song is one of the last of the album, so it took more than an hour today to finally hear a very good song:
Annie - To The Stars

Other nice songs are:
D.Essex - Master Power
Leslie Parrish - I Say No
Jimmy Bravo - Queen Of Fire

The rest was mediocre at best, or really bad: A beat C continued to have that same annoying shaky synth they had been using for years.

I don't know if any songs were remarkable for that area, but I Say No had a specific sound that wasn't around for a long time I guess.

EurothunderNL
Eurobeat Boom

Post by EurothunderNL » 05 Oct 2016, 18:33

When this album was released I was in Japan for the first time. Very happy to see HRG joins the 'serious eurobeat series' although www.Iloveu wasn't a favorite.

Songs which I kept playing for a long long time are:

3.Morris - Bad Tonight
4.Susy Wender - Runaway
7.D.Essex - Master Power
10.Mad Cow - I Want Your Balalaika
15.Denise - Gimme Gimme Love
16.A-Beat Boys - We'll Stop The Time
18.Jimmy Bravo - Queen Of Fire

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 06 Oct 2016, 02:05

jeurobeat wrote: I remember that since vol 134 the albums only had 15 4-minute songs each instead of 18. However, A beat C still had 7 slots, which was a waste, because A beat C was at its worst in that period (in my opinion, ofcourse), almost every song featuring that same shaky synths that annoyed to death.

The rest was mediocre at best, or really bad: A beat C continued to have that same annoying shaky synth they had been using for years.
It's probably because we are from the same era, but I agree; back then ; I really didn't enjoy ABeatC one bit. I only have a few songs from that era in extended that I really liked.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 19 Oct 2016, 04:45

It's hard to believe that this album was released almost as close to the beginning of the Super Eurobeat series as to today! :eek:

The decision to finally include SCP, Hi-NRG Attack, and Vibration on SEB was quite wise, especially since Time had declined so severely in the early 2000s (they improved a bit this decade as well as the 150s, but they were still far from their 1990s glory days). Frankly, I wish Avex had made that transition sooner, perhaps beginning with SEB 101, and abandoning the idea of the nonstop-only Euromach.

SEB 141 is easily one of the better installments of the 140s decade. It's not actually my favorite in a long time, as 138 is phenomenal in spite of its lack of additional labels, but the mega standouts make it superb nonetheless. While Delta and Time are both quite underwhelming here (the remake of "Another One Bites the Dust" is especially lackluster), SCP, Hi-NRG Attack, Vibration A-Beat C, and Leonardi all give solid showings.

These are the biggest highlights off of SEB 141, in my opinion:

* The Fire and the Rain / Dusty
* Kiss 2 Kiss / Lolita
* Runaway / Susy Wender
* Master Power / D.Essex
* I Want Your Balalaika / Mad Cow And The Royal Eurobeat Orchestra Of Bazookistan Feat. The Supertroyka Girls
* Queen of Fire / Jimmy Bravo

Honorable mention goes to Manuel's debut song, "I've Got to Go," which isn't his strongest by a long shot but still delivers a great introduction to everything that would soon promote him the new king of eurobeat.
ImageImage

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Re: 100 SEBs ago...

Post by KiraTM » 29 Dec 2017, 19:26

WOah, I totally forgot about my own thread. Yeah, we could go on with 142 or 146 now. Should we keep it chronological? Also, after SEB being ended now, we could change the SEB each week now.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Re: 100 SEBs ago...

Post by Bonkers » 29 Dec 2017, 20:34

KiraTM wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 19:26 WOah, I totally forgot about my own thread. Yeah, we could go on with 142 or 146 now. Should we keep it chronological? Also, after SEB being ended now, we could change the SEB each week now.
I say go for it!