Why I think "Eurobeat Wouldn't be Popular in America" is silly.

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Why I think "Eurobeat Wouldn't be Popular in America" is silly.

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 06 Sep 2017, 03:35

For starters, I'm an American. I listen to Eurobeat almost exclusively.

Secondly, Eurobeat is kinda getting popular in American Internet Spheres. Admittedly, it's popular in a dumb way - people think it's an Epic Meme for Dank Memesters, which is annoying to me because we were listening to Eurobeat as a serious music genre and not in "EPIC DEJA VU MEMESTER DRIFT COMPILATION YOUTUBE LOLS" for a long time.

I think there should be a push to make it work over here. It might just work.

Your thoughts? Is this a dumb, crazy idea or what?

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Re: Why I think "Eurobeat Wouldn't be Popular in America" is silly.

Post by alpines » 06 Sep 2017, 07:14

Wataru Akiyama wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 03:35and not in "EPIC DEJA VU MEMESTER DRIFT COMPILATION YOUTUBE LOLS" for a long time.
Your thoughts? Is this a dumb, crazy idea or what?
That fucks me up too... only used for memes and other junk.

I don't think Eurobeat would have a place in America or Europe (speaking of Germany in my case) because the current music taste doesn't have much with it in common.

The last time I turned on the radio in my car I either hear some shitty lame ass EDM music which has been on the charts for 800 weeks or some song which is less aggressive and more calm.
They always try to stuff their songs with a deeper message and don't just produce music for the sake of fun and dancing.

Of course you could say: "You can dance to edm music too, why don't you try that?"
First: I absolutely hate edm music and it's just not the same if you're dancing to 130-140 bpm or shaking off like a retard to 150bpm-170bpm :x
But that probably only goes for me :D (Also Eurobeat lyrics are SO much more fun than any other genre!)

Also some genres simply don't have a chance because the people are different. Japanese people are very different in many ways compared to their western neighbours (us). I don't mean this bad in any way, it's just the way it is.

I probably only heard one drum ''n' bass song on the radio (in the last few years) and the rest was, as I already said, edm or less aggressive songs.
Not to forget: They repeat the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over again which makes it even worse.

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 06 Sep 2017, 07:34

Last edited by xiao on 20 Jan 2018, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

sethreed
Eurobeat Boom

Post by sethreed » 06 Sep 2017, 12:50

I would rather discuss anything else. I bet someone will appear here and write stuff like:
"Corrupting the original genre"
"Eurobeat can't be mainstream"
"Occidentals can never understand eurobeat"

It's better to plan something than argue about the reasons and the whys.

EDIT:

Why I spend my time explaing what already happened?
Last edited by sethreed on 06 Sep 2017, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 06 Sep 2017, 14:46

The moment eurobeat becomes popular, it stops being eurobeat IMO. Eurobeat is not pop music but a sub-genre of a sub-genre of a sub-genre of EDM.
It's a genre with ups and downs. Now, it's trending again thanks to memes. It'll be forgotten. It'll get popular again. Comes and goes.

Besides, if producers and record labels aren't interested in investing heavily in marketing and making it popular, it probably won't happen. As fans and their "clients", we can spread the word as far as we can but we don't produce the music, we're limited as to what we can do.

A dumb discussion indeed but eurobeat is being talked through. People care. It's (barely) alive and kicking. So let's talk, I think.

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 06 Sep 2017, 18:00

Anybody who honestly tried to gather together a community in social media where Eurobeat is promoted, he is aware that exist a group of people who consider, that only artist must promote himself.

Every 2 months they get proofs how much they're wrong, when a big "star" doesn't mention a word about Eurobeat premiere, nothing, skipping the rest of time, weeks, months...

It has never been like that regarding engagement of producers in promotion, the more can't be now.

Too many persons haven't grown up in their minds to fact, that artists had always 3 options to boost the music:

1. Managers

2. Publishers (in Eurobeat finished though)

3. Fans, fan clubs

I don't think this is difficult to understand outside of Japan, because it's pure reality on all markets.

Silly to reach the fame in America ? Absolutely no. But seriously I guess no one can precise what is all about actually, what popularity you mean, what you require and who shall do this if not you, we ourselves ?

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 06 Sep 2017, 20:58

In what aspect are you wanting it to be big in the States? Radio? Clubs? Raves? I honestly believe eurobeat would fit into the underground warehouse rave scene. That's where all the odd EDM genres flourish anyways, and the candy ravers would eat the genre up. The last thing we need is for Eurobeat to become popular with the mainstream crowd.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 06 Sep 2017, 21:29

How hipster of everyone who doesn't want eurobeat to go mainstream. Laughing my ass off! There's a snowflake's chance in hell for it to become anything more than a niche genre in the west anyways.

Bonkers
Euroheater

Post by Bonkers » 07 Sep 2017, 02:33

para_rigby wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 21:29 How hipster of everyone who doesn't want eurobeat to go mainstream. Laughing my ass off! There's a snowflake's chance in hell for it to become anything more than a niche genre in the west anyways.
You'd be surprised what can go mainstream in our society if it catches on with the certain crowd.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 07 Sep 2017, 05:09

Eurobeat has nothing to do with EDM, unless you are just using the letters to say Electronic Dance Music, but it has nothing to do with the shit EDM pop music of the Pop charts right now. If anything Eurobeat derives from Italo and 80's Hi-NRG and nothing else. With that being said; the moment that Eurobeat would become popular in that states, it would stop being Eurobeat. In fact the big lables would take over and pretty soon, they would do away with the Eurobeat vocalists that we hold dear, and we would have a nightmare of chaps like Chainsmokers and Dua Lipa and Halsey doing vocals. Why? because the music industry is not going to let singers with Italian accents sing the big top 40 hits. I don't know about you guys, but I would pay to keep Eurobeat intact and stay underground, where it can keep its identity and still be called Eurobeat. 8)

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 07 Sep 2017, 12:47

EDM means Electronic Dance Music which Eurobeat is a subgenre of. Before the term "EDM" became popular, there were also the term "techno" or "electronica" or just "electronic". But there is also a genre called "EDM" but it's clearly Pop aimed though.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 07 Sep 2017, 13:23

para_rigby wrote: 06 Sep 2017, 21:29 How hipster of everyone who doesn't want eurobeat to go mainstream. Laughing my ass off! There's a snowflake's chance in hell for it to become anything more than a niche genre in the west anyways.
Eurobeat went mainstream at some point in late 90s/early 00s in Japan, I think?
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of any kind of art going mainstream because usually that means it'll get shittier. If someone can prove me wrong…

So becoming super popular means eurobeat will keep going indefinitely? I'm looking forward to it then hahahaha :!:

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 07 Sep 2017, 21:28

Last edited by xiao on 20 Jan 2018, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 08 Sep 2017, 05:18

I don't know, I really don't want more songs to contract Moon Man syndrome. It's blasphemous that a genre of music so precious to my nostalgia is now being associated with alt-right trolls more than anything else.
ImageImage

Kat
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Kat » 08 Sep 2017, 10:36

Eurobeat? I'd rather say that Eurodance would be popular again in Europe
Aqua , 2 Unlimited , La Bouche , Mr.President , Groove Coverage
The music of late 90s in Europe
Not only 90s but also I remember Eurodance performers popular in Poland from 2006/2007
Dutch Eurodance singer Sylver with Abba's cover

youtu.be/Te28Ja31STw

youtu.be/_fguUEfIeIs

MY CHILDHOOD
Wake up in the morning with my book
I'll go to my school I'll go very fast
'Cos I've a lot study and I wanna be ready tonite
When the disco is open