Regarding Super Eurobeat 250

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Re: Regarding Super Eurobeat 250

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 13 Dec 2017, 13:31

Well, the five stages of grief begin with denial.

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 13 Dec 2017, 14:46

Good luck with "labels will continue producing" mindset. I highly doubt that'll be the case. Too much trouble for too little money, fanbase's too small and pirates in the open so isn't worth.

On one hand, I wanna believe this is all a shill. After all, we had 2012 and SEB came back. I don't think Avex would want to stop milking money from those crazy fans, right? If there's no more Super Eurobeat, I'm pretty sure this will also affect those Japanese clubs, that were some of the main advertising for the albums. I wouldn't believe everything producers say either, but that's just me.

On the other hand, everyone saw this coming? I've seen that since… 2012, yeah. It's doesn't make any sense to continue producing something that won't be profitable (thanks capitalism). Best case scenario Super Eurobeat becomes an annual event (my bets are all on this), getting people hyped for the album once a year is easier and cheaper than releasing it often - Agefarre is living proof that this works and people will go and will spend money on it.

Either way, we'll be left with all the amazing productions from all these years and we can look forward to independent producers. I wonder what they were expecting though? From the moment you make it difficult to acquire a product, of course it will discourage people from buying it. If they ever complain about sale drops, it's mainly their own fault.

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 13 Dec 2017, 15:16

For those who haven't catched up in the japanese sources, and what you might not hear from any artist.

The other day, at Agefarre, my friend in Tokyo was saying as follows.

"When Oricon investigated the sales of S.E.B, the new score of S.E.B is about 200 copies sales in Japan."

Oricon is a company that investigates CD sales.

After this you shouldn't except new series either new engagement by Avex Trax, because simply even the most of loyal Japanese listeners stopped buying Eurobeat as well.

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 13 Dec 2017, 16:53

Last edited by xiao on 23 Jan 2018, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 13 Dec 2017, 17:13

It doesn't help that avex never listened to the fans at all. And they wonder why sales went down?

alpines
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by alpines » 13 Dec 2017, 17:53

Tiger wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 17:13It doesn't help that avex never listened to the fans at all. And they wonder why sales went down?
When did they say that they were surprised about that? I believe they don't put any effort into it (anymore) because there's way more money to make in other genres. That's how this planet works - sadly.

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 13 Dec 2017, 17:58

Wow... I wanted to answer in another thread today and found this one. I wasn't able to think clear since then.

I think, this step doesn't surprise anyone here. There were many discussions about the death of (Super) Eurobeat and how it's more of a "when" and not a "will it?"

It's a shame the series ended. Super Eurobeat was the most important source for fresh Eurobeat for years. And after about 27 years, it comes to an end. That makes me sentimental when I think of the time it lived. The first volume in 1991, the golden age around 2000, the ups and downs in the past years. Many people here raged about avex not giving a fuck, but there were only few thanking avex for keeping such a bad business alive for the few fans.
It's not all avex' fault, I think. The marketing strategy was weird but it's such a tiny market to reach. In times of free mp3 the will to purchase is low and that's hard to compensate for a company producing CDs for a small fandom. I think avex did listen to the fans, but listening is not doing something. Remember when avex asked the fans on facebook about worldwide releases? We got many SEB albums on iTunes, which was a huge step. I don't want to blame avex for anything.

However, there are good things too. The CD hunters can now complete their collection without worrying about buying the new albums. I can fully concentrate on completing the SEB series.
Even though Super Eurobeat may be dead, Eurobeat itself will live longer. I think the SEB labels will continue producing music and share them online. There won't be SEB exclusive songs anymore. Maybe the labels create their own collaboration series for online purchase. I don't know the sales numbers of the labels' songs on iTunes and so on but maybe it's worth a try?
Patreon is also a thing to look for support. If there are about 50 Eurobeat-liking and supporting people out of the millions who found Eurobeat through memes, that'd be enough to get new songs and pay the producers a breakfast.
Yeah, I'm being really idealistic here.
Maybe, each label starts/continues its own compilations like Super Duper Eurobeat (HRG), Dima Eurobeat or EuroKudos (SCP).

I don't know which Eurobeat producers will read my text and uninformed opinion, but I want to promise: I will support you whatever you do. I won't spend money on SEB after 250, so I have some more money to waste for Eurobeat and put it into your releases! I really hope you don't stop making Eurobeat! We wouldn't be here without you!

I hope SEB 250 will be an outstanding compilation. Such a series shouldn't end like each normal anniversary mix. Maybe a Best of 5/6 years on four discs (1991-97, 1998-2005, 2006-2011, 2013-2018).

We could throw a virtual countdown party one day before the final release. Do you remember that platform where anyone could add songs to a playlist everybody listens to simultanously? It was fun.

Anthony McBazooka
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Anthony McBazooka » 13 Dec 2017, 18:12

KiraTM wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 17:58 Even though Super Eurobeat may be dead, Eurobeat itself will live longer. I think the SEB labels will continue producing music and share them online. There won't be SEB exclusive songs anymore. Maybe the labels create their own collaboration series for online purchase. I don't know the sales numbers of the labels' songs on iTunes and so on but maybe it's worth a try?
Patreon is also a thing to look for support. If there are about 50 Eurobeat-liking and supporting people out of the millions who found Eurobeat through memes, that'd be enough to get new songs and pay the producers a breakfast.
Yeah, I'm being really idealistic here.
Maybe, each label starts/continues its own compilations like Super Duper Eurobeat (HRG), Dima Eurobeat or EuroKudos (SCP).

I don't know which Eurobeat producers will read my text and uninformed opinion, but I want to promise: I will support you whatever you do. I won't spend money on SEB after 250, so I have some more money to waste for Eurobeat and put it into your releases! I really hope you don't stop making Eurobeat! We wouldn't be here without you!
I'm not so optimistic about this point. Most SEB label producers are rather old now and don't have the same ambitions anymore as when they were young. So it's up to the new generation to continue making Eurobeat. Of course it won't stop me and I'm pretty sure it won't stop Odyssey as well. I will also encourage other young artists to go on. Maybe they don't produce the same quality yet as the Italian Eurobeat veterans but they can still grow if they get the needed support.

Also …
Tiger wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 17:13 It doesn't help that avex never listened to the fans at all. And they wonder why sales went down?
… stage two is anger.

AL19
Eurobeat Boom

Post by AL19 » 13 Dec 2017, 19:29

While I'm sad to see this announcement, I'm not very surprised, because you know what they say: All good things must come to an end.

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Post by Rain197 » 13 Dec 2017, 20:09

A producer confirmed me the end of SEB...

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 13 Dec 2017, 20:39

It is their (Avex) fault though? The market is so small and this is even more reason to make it successful through direct contact, fast feedback, many things. Avex did listen to their fans - mainly their Japanese fans. They asked stuff on social media and did put cds on iTunes - for their Japanese fans. I blame Avex for lots of things regarding Super Eurobeat (and maybe, even eurobeat genre itself), the peak and the downfall. They took the safest route, keeping it local and making it difficult for outsiders to get their products. It didn't work. Everyone pays the price now.

I used to think good things about them but maybe people should just stop and think a little bit about how it all works, read about it maybe. The industry is shitty, the system we're stuck in is terrible for everyone and artists, it seems, are on the lowest shittiest level. Nowadays, unless you're able to make a lot of money, unless you're a freaking popstar and people are tattooing your name on their butt-cheeks, it's not worth for a company to spend money on you. With a few exceptions. Avex have a lot of side-labels and what else, eurobeat is just another one, it stopped being profitable. They closed. Period.

There's a label that might be going a good way though (and gives me hope things might be alright even with all this). A Japanese one, but, again, they suffer from this "xenophobia" garbage towards overseas fans. They're doing what Avex should've done: they're out there, loud and showing people their works and telling them to buy it and giving people reasons to buy it and making it in a captivating way people stay around and spend money on them. It's the small things. So sad Avex had everything to make all things work but they simply threw in the towel. Shit, they had the best musicians alive on Earth and didn't do anything but a few shows and expected the artists to do their magic without a good foundation (they once had, I'm pretty sure).

It's not the client's fault when a product don't sell well, it's dumb to think this way. Make the client want it, make the fans engaged, show them what you got, make it cheap and amazing and people will be at your feet calling your name and asking for more. If they don't, change strategy, change places, change.

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 13 Dec 2017, 22:25

Also one of the confirmed details in Facebook ParaPara group is that Vol. 246 will be the last containing new songs.

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Post by Rain197 » 13 Dec 2017, 22:41

Crockett wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 22:25 Also one of the confirmed details in Facebook ParaPara group is that Vol. 246 will be the last containing new songs.
I cried...

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 13 Dec 2017, 22:55

Crockett wrote: 13 Dec 2017, 22:25 Also one of the confirmed details in Facebook ParaPara group is that Vol. 246 will be the last containing new songs.
FUCK YOU AVEX.
Another fucking non-stop trio. At least I won't be in a hurry getting them and it doesn't seem I won't be hunting for extendeds like for 197-199.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Rain197
Eurobeat Master

Post by Rain197 » 13 Dec 2017, 22:58

The conversation for those who aren't in the group about the 246 to be the final volume to include extendeds

Zacky Leung
This is the caption of SEB 246:

ROAD TO SUPER EUROBEAT VOL.250
ネ申曲降臨!最後の新譜収録盤!
SEBの進化は止まらない!そこにユーロがある限り!!

Wait, does it mean SEB 246 is the last and final volume to feature new songs?
Matteo Rizzi
Yes