Top 10 Best and Worst Eurobeat Songs of All Time

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
#Infinity
Euroheater

Top 10 Best and Worst Eurobeat Songs of All Time

Post by #Infinity » 16 Apr 2018, 07:37

We've done plenty of top/bottom lists before, but I'm not sure if we've quite done this before, at least not in a very long time. I'll start off with my personal picks...

Top 10 Best:

1. Christine - Story of My Life - I listen to this song on a constant basis. I always really liked it from the start, but it was only after I realized just how many times I would keep coming back to it that I found myself declaring it the greatest eurobeat song of all time. Why is this somber aishu obscurity from an oft-forgotten Maharaja Night compilation such a masterpiece? Several reasons, all of which are individually significant. The lyrics aren't just another plea for love or indulgence of it, but rather something a lot more introspective and serious. They're about dreaming for something grand, yet with nothing to put that goal into perspective except for a difficult-to-find confidence and courage to face a threatening, decaying world. These emotions are expressed eloquently and poetically, without being overly pretentious, thus allowing the devastated and melancholic verses to bridge perfectly into the passionately hopeful chorus. In addition to the great lyrics, the production and musical progression are spot-on beautiful. The backdrops deftly switch between a hammond organ, a xylophone, and an aishu synth, creating a dynamic soundworld, yet they're all blended together so flowingly with a subtle yet propulsive synth layer and soft, gentle mixing. The result is a song with a deep, forlorn mood, yet also a dreamy, uplifting atmosphere of fantasy, thus resonating with my emotions to the very core in a way no other eurobeat song can achieve. It's a wholesomely moving song, yet the fact that it's also eurobeat means it's also able to keep up with my fast, chirpy rhythm of life.

2. Shyla & Cindy Cooper - Touch Me - The Dima production to beat all other Dima productions. Every note and beat of this feels like it was meant to sweep the listener away, and the whole thing is an absolute blast of eurobeat glory.

3. Bombers - Hi Hi Mazinga - This song is kind of looney, but it's also such an exciting, power-packed anthem at the same time. It's a treasure of pure fun with its unique melodic progression, rave hits, and delightfully hammy vocals from both Mauro Farina and his backup chorus.

4. Ciao Ciao - Seventeen - Hi-NRG Attack has no shortage of hyperkinetic female anthems, but this seems to stand proud above all the rest because not only does it have such an explosive synth hook and a fantastic melodic progression, but the chorus is built upon one of the most powerful sentiments ever in the genre. The feisty synths and melodies are a perfect compliment to the impassioned fantasy of youth, romance, and bliss so enthusiastically delivered by the classic Bazooka Girl vocalist here.

5. Mad Max - Don't Break My Heart - In my opinion, this is the most epic classic testosterone eurobeat anthem of all time. It has me absolutely floored from start to finish, from its breathtaking intro, to its rollercoaster synth hook, to its adrenalized backgrounds, to its gritty, raspy, yet simultaneously romantic vocals, to its effective female harmonization, this is a classic through and through. Mad Max songs in general were absolutely brilliant, but this wins by just a small margin.

6. Stephy Martini - Fall in Love - Something about this song really clicks. No other eurobeat song evokes such a strong aura of romantic fantasy and bliss. It's a relatively straightforward love song at a glance, but subtle details like the integrated piano, Stefania's rich vocals, Clara's beautiful harmonies, the varied synth hook, the passionate chorus, and the solid sense of development come together to form a true masterpiece. Very close to "Fall in Love" is "Dream on Dream", which has strong production qualities and a true incentive of empowerment.

7. King & Queen - Up Side Down - A-Beat C was always on a roll with its multi-woman productions, but this has to be the strongest of them all. The synth is absolutely killer, but what sets it over the top especially is how the verses and chorus are no less catchy the already phenomenal main hook, ensuring that this explosive song never loses an inch of momentum all the way through. Gotta love the synth solo later on, too!

8. Christine - Because the Night - I can't help it, Christine has always been one of my favourite eurobeat singers of all time, right from the time I first got into the genre. She has recorded countless songs that I absolutely adore, but this one is just pitch-perfect in its simplicity. The acoustic guitar synth in the intro, the subtlety somber mood, the elegantly melancholic melodic progression, the affected vocal performance, the deeply relatable lyrics, every single little detail comes together to produce something profoundly accessible and beautiful. I absolutely never get tired of it.

9. Za-Za - It's Only Love - Za-Za was always the most exotic alias in eurobeat history. Aside from the by-the-numbers "Love & Money", anything with this artist attached to it was guaranteed to be a quirky, hyperactive hodgepodge of splendor. I could have just as easily went with "Come and Go" or "In the Heart of Rome" here, but "It's Only Love" has especially captivated me over the years thanks to its eerie vocals, infectious lyrical details, and powerful production.

10. Dave Rodgers feat. Alex De Rosso - Burning Like Fire - Classic Dave eurobeat done to its very, very finest. This used to be neck-and-neck with "Beat of the Rising Sun", but Internet trolls have sort of ruined the latter, unfortunately.

Top 10 Worst:

1. Mega NRG Man - People Like Dancing - This is a song that makes you feel like your soul is being sucked away, quite seriously. It's intended as an upbeat party song, but its flat, overstuffed production throws me in a dizzy, zombified trance that isn't soothing stress relief so much as an onset of heaving depression. It's actually scary to hear this song, not because it's chillingly dark like Candy Taylor's "Scandal" but more because it's a borderline traumatic listening experience.

2. Overload - Foxy Lady - This sours my mood from the very first second. That nauseating major key progression, combined with Simone Valeo's severely shaky voice and an overbearingly chipper tone, make this one of the most contrived pieces of auditory poison ever.

3. Nikita Jr. - Happy Snappy Valentine - A lot like "Foxy Lady", this is one of the most obnoxiously peppy eurobeat songs of all time. It's sheer juvenile annoyance, though it's not quite as high on this list as "Foxy Lady" because it at least has a clearer point.

4. Remy Panther - Hot Like a Fire - This is like every single negative stereotype about eurobeat rolled into one. It literally feels like this was slapped together with as much corner-cutting as possible.

5. Kasanova - Hug Me - Kasanova songs are, far and large, generic schlock, but this is a special level of pathetic due to its embarrassingly weak lyrical sentiment.

6. P. Stone - Kosmic Woofer - The title is really dumb, but other than that, I can't quite explain why this is so utterly atrocious to my ears. I love most of Claudio Magnani's songs at Hi-NRG Attack, but this is somehow sorely lacking in focus or direction, instead coming off as overbearing noise.

7. Tokyo Future - Listen to Eurobeat - The ironic thing about this song is that if you lower its pitch by just one half-tone, bringing Nando's vocals back to their natural level, this track is pretty good. However, because Leonardi decided to raise it, the resulting product is an aggressive earworm that's made even more unbearable by its lyrical theme. As much as I wish eurobeat had been able to spread to a wider audience, this is the absolute worst possible song to do that with because it accentuates all of the traits people find most annoying about the genre. They're so acute here that even I can't handle them, and I generally have quite the stomach for cheese. The negative effect of the hyped up vocals on the entire rest of this song is amazingly severe – Nando goes from a smooth savant to a leeching Poindexter just because of a minor software trick.

8. Mirka - 10,000 Lovers - Another amateurish mess from A-Beat C's shaky experimental phrase in the early '90s. The vocals are drowned out by the excessive reverb, the production sounds flat all the way through, and "10,000 lovers in 1" is easily one of the cheesiest, most cringeworthy lyrics in eurobeat history.

9. Norma Sheffield - For Your Love - I'm barely a fan of anything Norma Sheffield has recorded, but this is probably the wispiest, most pathetic song she ever put out through her career as a Milli Vanilli-type act.

10. Vicky Vale - Do With Me - I'm of the belief this was an intentionally horrible song, that Laurent Newfield wanted to go out with as much of a whimper as possible, due to his disillusionment with Avex at the time. He certainly succeeded in producing one of the most half-assed, underwritten turds ever to show up on Super Eurobeat.
Last edited by #Infinity on 26 Apr 2018, 17:02, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Re: Top 10 Best and Worst Eurobeat Songs of All Time

Post by Crockett » 16 Apr 2018, 14:52

#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:37 Top 10 Best:

Top 10 Worst:
I have been wondering what sense has and how anybody can select Top10 from several thousands songs of the genre ? How many favorite artists, tracks and labels I should ignore to squeeze everything in Top10 ? 8) Maybe Top50 is the least, enough number... Top10 is good when you rate a band or one label.

Besides...
#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:378. Mirka - 10,000 Lovers - Another amateurish mess from A-Beat C's shaky experimental phrase in the early '90s. The vocals are drowned out by the excessive reverb, the production sounds flat all the way through, and "10,000 lovers in 1" is easily one of the cheesiest, most cringeworthy lyrics in eurobeat history.
This is the most historical moment on EBP forum - brave critique towards Sinclaire. Well A.Beat-C. only as the publisher, nobody touched this song except him. 8)

I hope you remember it was released 17 years later than it was made... So I hope it's not judged comparing with year 2010... Anyway I'm very surprised why this one with such clear melody.
#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:379. Norma Sheffield - For Your Love - I'm barely a fan of anything Norma Sheffield has recorded, but this is probably the wispiest, most pathetic song she ever put out through her career as a Milli Vanilli-type act.
Still a matter of taste, however I noticed that Norma Sheffield is disliked here always for the same. The project has been created and predicted in the mood you don't like and this is why became so important - dance music appeals to emotions was the most successful and never will be outdated, just seasonal product.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 16 Apr 2018, 16:14

Crockett wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 14:52
#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:37 Top 10 Best:

Top 10 Worst:
I have been wondering what sense has and how anybody can select Top10 from several thousands songs of the genre ? How many favorite artists, tracks and labels I should ignore to squeeze everything in Top10 ? 8) Maybe Top50 is the least, enough number... Top10 is good when you rate a band or one label.
It’s all too tempting to go for a top 50 - I’ve made larger lists like this before - but I’m just trying to sort out the very best of the best.
#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:378. Mirka - 10,000 Lovers - Another amateurish mess from A-Beat C's shaky experimental phrase in the early '90s. The vocals are drowned out by the excessive reverb, the production sounds flat all the way through, and "10,000 lovers in 1" is easily one of the cheesiest, most cringeworthy lyrics in eurobeat history.
This is the most historical moment on EBP forum - brave critique towards Sinclaire. Well A.Beat-C. only as the publisher, nobody touched this song except him. 8)

I hope you remember it was released 17 years later than it was made... So I hope it's not judged comparing with year 2010... Anyway I'm very surprised why this one with such clear melody.
Andrea Leonardi and Alessandra Mirka Gatti have both made countless songs I love. I don’t see the controversy in being wholly unimpressed by one shaky production from a quarter of a century ago, not to mention one that came during a time in which eurobeat was still struggling to redefine itself after the decline of italo disco. I’m frankly not surprised it took 17 years for this particular song to finally see the light of day, whereas almost everything else A-Beat C made around that time first came out while it was still pretty new.
#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:379. Norma Sheffield - For Your Love - I'm barely a fan of anything Norma Sheffield has recorded, but this is probably the wispiest, most pathetic song she ever put out through her career as a Milli Vanilli-type act.
Still a matter of taste, however I noticed that Norma Sheffield is disliked here always for the same. The project has been created and predicted in the mood you don't like and this is why became so important - dance music appeals to emotions was the most successful and never will be outdated, just seasonal product.
Christine did this very type of eurobeat a thousand times better, as I already noted in my best list. Norma Sheffield is unpopular here because she has one of the wimpiest, most off-key and amateur singing voices in eurobeat history, a bad combination with the already extremely middling mateial she was given to perform. The fact that her identity turned out to be fraudulent after a quartwr of a centry just pours salt on that open wound.
ImageImage

Crockett
Eurobeat Master

Post by Crockett » 16 Apr 2018, 17:56

#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 16:14Andrea Leonardi and Alessandra Mirka Gatti have both made countless songs I love. I don’t see the controversy in being wholly unimpressed by one shaky production from a quarter of a century ago, not to mention one that came during a time in which eurobeat was still struggling to redefine itself after the decline of italo disco.
It's not controversy at all. :) I've never read any decidedly critique towards any Eurobeat tracks by Bratt Sinclaire.

For addition this was nothing more like next stage of Eurobeat characterized only for him. How Sinclaire could've struggled to redefine Italo Disco, which he never made, if the genre gone in 1989...
#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 16:14Christine did this very type of eurobeat a thousand times better, as I already noted in my best list. Norma Sheffield is unpopular here because she has one of the wimpiest, most off-key and amateur singing voices in eurobeat history, a bad combination with the already extremely middling mateial she was given to perform. The fact that her identity turned out to be fraudulent after a quartwr of a centry just pours salt on that open wound.
I would restrain from words who was amateur, because such producer like Dave Rodgers, plus Max Matsuura as the executive producer perfectly knew if that's good or not to release on the second biggest music market...

How many artists like Norma Sheffield had any identity, own image (model or real image) ? Only selected, the most important, right ? Regardless of our taste.

Before social media there was no official source where the name of Francesca Contini/Chiara De Pieri appeared, same for Clara Moroni, who used many more aliases introduced as various persons.

There is no difference between these two ladies and anybody from Italo Disco/Eurobeat world. People believed in fake information and confused the singer with model. I didn't notice bad feelings in terms of Giorgio Conti who played the role of Atrium...

You look at all in face of details never published and needed in Japan to enjoy the music and promote the artists.

What is out of the question, Norma Sheffield except being so called real artist on the stage and on the art covers, as well represented the birth of Eurobeat by Avex Trax, she was shown from 1990 in the articles, interviews, booklets, she had CD album and went on tour to Japan as A-Beat-C All Stars. Her "Broken Heart", "Sweet Heaven", "Memories" are classics in Japan.

Let's find similar artist with such story and position...

It's just next personal matter about the songs and voice of Norma Sheffield. Undoubtedly Japanese created and consider her as the main star until today.

I like Christine, however she is from another era and label and she was in practise an ordinary CD project. This topic testifies how is she really anonymous compared to Norma Sheffield.

http://forum.eurobeat-prime.com/viewtop ... f=2&t=3898
Last edited by Crockett on 24 Apr 2018, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

sethreed
Eurobeat Boom

Post by sethreed » 17 Apr 2018, 15:41

#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:37 6. P. Stone - Kosmic Woofer - The title is really dumb, but other than that, I can't quite explain why this is so utterly atrocious to my ears. I love most of Claudio Magnani's songs at Hi-NRG Attack, but this is somehow sorely lacking in focus or direction, instead coming off as overbearing noise.
And that's why I hate these "top ~worst~"

I absolutely LOVE Kosmic Woofer. One of my favorite songs from Euromach era.

Vinylyarou
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Vinylyarou » 17 Apr 2018, 15:55

sethreed wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 15:41
#Infinity wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 07:37 6. P. Stone - Kosmic Woofer - The title is really dumb, but other than that, I can't quite explain why this is so utterly atrocious to my ears. I love most of Claudio Magnani's songs at Hi-NRG Attack, but this is somehow sorely lacking in focus or direction, instead coming off as overbearing noise.

Same here, luuuuuv that song <3

and that's why it's quite difficult to define what is worst and what is best, since everything here will be subjective, and it's not a thing we could avoid... unless we were Doctors of music or sth like that

HOWEVER, we can easily say that Kiss My Boo Boo has to be at the worst of everything.

jk Kimora
Latest simfile:

Previous Eurobeat simfiles: Iron Man - Mark Astley [Delta Music Industry]/ Self Control - Laura Branigan [Atlantic Records]

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 17 Apr 2018, 16:14

*coughs* Not Gonna Get Us.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 17 Apr 2018, 20:54

I'm not even attempting this. I can't make a top 10 because there's much more than 10 tracks that I loooooooove to a max. But there's also more than 10 songs that I just can't stand. So, yeah... no.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Vinylyarou
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Vinylyarou » 18 Apr 2018, 04:33

I think it'd be a good idea if we nominate songs as best and worst of eurobeat and adding our arguments, of course.

For example, I think Night of Fire or Deja Vu should be on a top list, since its number of appearances, popularity among people, popularity on internet has to be considered... maybe.

IDK, it'sjust an idea if you want to play a little.
Latest simfile:

Previous Eurobeat simfiles: Iron Man - Mark Astley [Delta Music Industry]/ Self Control - Laura Branigan [Atlantic Records]

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 18 Apr 2018, 05:21

Gonna go with my favorite Eurobeat song of all time. usually I say Dr. Money - Let It Go, but that one was still in the Italo NRG phase of the 90's. For true Eurobeat. The fast BPMs; I have to go with

Toby Ash - Not This Time (Time Records)
I've praised this songs many TIME's before , especially for Gino Caria's vocal delivery. His tomes here are prefect for the style the verses need to be sung in. meaning ,fitting a lot of words in a short melody parts. But, going back to the intro. the way the song builds up in the intro, is what, to me, TIME records, excelled in , but here, Gino chanting "but Not This Time" and holding the last "time" before bursting into the jumpy synth melody is what got me hooked the first time I heard it. This song; besides having a super tempting chorus to sing along to, also has one of the best breaks a Eurobeat song from that era had. It was easily one of the faster songs. I remember it mixing well with another fast song by David R. Jones called "Toy Boy". The only thing I wish it had had was a killer outro, but I know fade outs were the thing back then, especially with TIME. It's funny how after all these years, 100s of songs came close to be my favorite, but none ever dethroned this classic from it's pedestal.

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 19 Apr 2018, 05:29

Welp, I guess this thread is maybe too broad, since nobody else wants to do a full ranking and people are focusing more on how much they disagree with my own choices for the worst list. It's certainly not easy to make a top/bottom 10 list out of thousands of eurobeat songs throughout the years, but hey, it's all opinion, so nothing's concrete, anyway.

If you love that song, that's wonderful. It definitely has a distinct character, it just very much does not sit well with my own listening tastes for some reason.

Even from my own experience, there have been a lot of times where I've felt like the only person who appreciated an otherwise maligned eurobeat song, "Pagal", "I Remember Why I Love You", and "Carry On Baby" being the first examples that come to my mind. Obviously I can't totally convince everybody else to enjoy them the way I've liked them, and it can certainly feel awkward to be so isolated over my opinion, but we all hear things differently.
ImageImage

sethreed
Eurobeat Boom

Post by sethreed » 19 Apr 2018, 13:34

#Infinity wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 05:29 Welp, I guess this thread is maybe too broad, since nobody else wants to do a full ranking and people are focusing more on how much they disagree with my own choices for the worst list. It's certainly not easy to make a top/bottom 10 list out of thousands of eurobeat songs throughout the years, but hey, it's all opinion, so nothing's concrete, anyway.

If you love that song, that's wonderful. It definitely has a distinct character, it just very much does not sit well with my own listening tastes for some reason.

Even from my own experience, there have been a lot of times where I've felt like the only person who appreciated an otherwise maligned eurobeat song, "Pagal", "I Remember Why I Love You", and "Carry On Baby" being the first examples that come to my mind. Obviously I can't totally convince everybody else to enjoy them the way I've liked them, and it can certainly feel awkward to be so isolated over my opinion, but we all hear things differently.
Pagal is wonderful.
Never listened I Remember Why I Love you.
Carry On baby too.

I did a list, but it's in the draft. I'll post it when I finish it.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 19 Apr 2018, 15:07

I like others before me, have trouble pinpointing the worst entries. Plus I don't exactly feel comfortable dragging single entities down like that. But as I stated before, Not Gonna Get Us, is fairly far down the list...

As for the best entries, I know these change with time and there are only a very few selected entries I've loved for decades that haven't lost their edge.

The longlasting legends for me would be
  • Pizza Girl - Bang
  • Lolita - Don't You Want My Heart
  • Vanessa - Dancing In The Dark
  • Oda - Shy Gun
  • Laurie - Hey Guy
  • Delta Queens - Summer Boy, Summer Girl
  • Nick Mansell - Runaway

KiraTM
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by KiraTM » 19 Apr 2018, 15:22

sethreed wrote: 17 Apr 2018, 15:41 And that's why I hate these "top ~worst~"
When I read the title, I already knew someone gets triggered by seeing their favorites in other's worst-lists.

Kiss My Boo Boo is actually one of my favorite songs of SEB 205. :P
I also like Happy Snappy Velentine, 10,000 Lovers, and absolutely love Overload's Foxy Lady.

I'll try to create my own lists. It will be hard to pick ten sonsg each... Little spoiler: On my worst-list is already one all-time classic which appears on each non-stop.

Dynamika
Euro To B

Post by Dynamika » 19 Apr 2018, 17:49

I don't really have any arguments for these, plus as already stated above, these are completely subjective personal lists for everybody so it all comes down to just personal taste. I enjoy and hate these because they either sound great or bad to me.

My Top 10 best:
Mike Skanner - Babe C'mon
Groove Twins - Lesson To Love
Van T.K. - Just Can't Get Enough
Oda - Shy Gun
Cherry - DJ Baam! Baam! Play the Boom Boom
Franz Tornado - Bazooka Pistolero
Lolita - Kiss 2 Kiss
Larabelle - Love As A Weapon
Za-Za - In The Heart Of Rome
Juliet - Big Bang

My top 10 worst:
King & Queen - Twist & Shout
Lolita - Olele Olala (Beach Version)
Pistol Girl - Si La Do
Dave Rodgers feat. Mike Garson & Rafael Moreira - Space Boy (Grand Mix)
O-Zone - Dragostea Din Tei (Eurobeat Remix) (I actually like the original song but for some reason this doesn't work for me at all)
Groove Twins - Dance Dance Monsteru
Leslie Parrish - Mon Amour
Elly - Strawberry Heart
Mela - Hurry Hurry Hurry
Rich Hard - Night Rider