Super Eurobeat 209

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 02 Nov 2010, 17:43

Extendeds are up on itunes

And I do love those samples ...

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 02 Nov 2010, 19:12

Only 3 songs are standing out for me at the moment...

New Horizon / Ken Blast - a classic Eurobeat anthem. Capaldi has done a great job, and I love the vocal melody! Lol @ the use of the same radio tuning effect as "Dance In My Town" extended version :P

Rainy Days / Cy-Ro - I just cannot get enough of this new Hi-NRG Attack sound. The melodies are just awesome, and they really hit the sweet spot for me with that galloping bassline in the background.

Fly / Eliza - Has an awesome hook. The vocal melody will probably grow on me slowly.

Jager is clearly trying to be the next Michael Jackson with all those breathy grunts especially at the start of the song. Very bizarre - the production itself is a mesh of pop and 90's Eurodance.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 03 Nov 2010, 02:20

Lol finally, a Manuel song that I love. Totally devilish track, almost felt like I myself was at Dracula's castle or some sort of grim environment. Immense song though, love it.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 03 Nov 2010, 05:29

What D'You Want From Me (SEB Version) is by far one of the best songs of the decade next to "I Won't Fall Apart". I can see traditional Eurobeat fans not enjoying it because of its heavy club and pop influence. The cool thing about this song is that it sounds like an extension of his Cube 41 song "Nasty Mind". The other interesting thing about this song is this is one of the few times that SCP uses a bridge in non-remix form. The overall structure is very different too.

Intro-Synth Hook-1st Verse-Pre-Chorus-Refrain-Quick Repeating-Synth Hook-2nd Verse-Pre-Chorus (With removed bass and percussion at first then building up)-Refrain-Bridge-Collision (Mixing of elements of the verse with the chorus)-Chorus-Synth Hook (With chorus at the first half)

This is a lot more production than I think most people are used to in their Eurobeat and, in my opinion, it's very refreshing and very welcome. The vocals are clear and crisp, the lyrics are well done, and the whole package is just awesome. I have to listen to the other tracks that I got from musico but I'm still stuck on this!!
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 03 Nov 2010, 05:33

Just Another Day With You and Japanese Girl are amazing. They totally remind me of the older style / sound that made me fall in love with Eurobeat to begin with.

Brisk
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Brisk » 03 Nov 2010, 07:15

Haha what the fuck. This has to be the first slower Dave duet in a long time that's actually good. Hell, really good. I'll give more thought into the album once I stop looping New Horizon and Just Another Day With You.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 03 Nov 2010, 19:50

Bratt's song is majestic!

I keep playin' and playin'.

Clever, clever...verses/bridges are phenomenal, chorus is splendid!

This glorious song leaves all else on this SEB off in the dust!

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 03 Nov 2010, 23:24

More brief thoughts. I've just burned the whole album to a CD for the car journey to work tomorrow, so I'll hopefully be able to formulate a better opinion after looping that a few times:

Samurai Blue has one of the most generic and dull hooks of all the Go 2 tracks. The verse and bridge section manage to save the song from being a complete lemon, but it's still a long way from the glory days of Super Striker and Looka Bomba.

Change showcases Mari-San sounding more and more like an Anastacia impersonator with every song. The production seems a little flat in places, but there are some really nice touches in terms of the melodic progression. At least it's not Secret Destinatioioiaooaoanuaoaoaaooaooaoauanoaoaoanonaonannanaoonnnnnn...

Bad is just too traumatising to describe. It's a passable dance cover if that, but really doesn't belong on a Super Eurobeat album in my eyes. Could have been so, sooo much daring and ultimately, better.

Mad Man starts with the usual flamboyance that we've come to expect from modern-day Manuel productions. It's not as instant as Limousine for me, or as pretty as All Is Magic, but I still have a feeling that all the crazy over-dramatic vocals will eventually hook me in.

New Horizon shines as a real diamond in the rough so to speak. It has a great melody and stellar production, and the energy portrayed throughout the whole song is stunning.

One Heart One Soul is yet to make a real impression on me to be honest. The heavy reliance on the piano during the hook is a unique point but I don't think it's a particularly interesting or pretty melody. Momo still lacks a true vocal identity for me - every song she sings, she sounds totally different.

Japanese Girl has a strong old-school influence, probably coming from the vocals and synths used. There are some interesting chord progressions going on at various junctures, and the chorus never seems to quite reach the climax that you expect it should...

Call My Name has a really bizarre, mis-firing intro - very hyper-techno, which is clearly where Sinclaire's true passion lies nowadays. I hate the "female singing from down a tunnel" style that he uses way too much now, and nothing really stands out for me in this from other recent female Sinclaire songs. Next...

Rainy Days - OH GOD YES!! This is the one track that I keep coming back to. It's slightly more subtle with its beats that Magic of Sunshine or Hard To Say I'm Sorry, but that synth hook is just delicious!! The vocals demand your attention yet have a very definite vulnerability to them in various parts, which really endears the melodies and lyrics to me. I love this!!!

Just Another Day With You has a very unexpected intro. It's like a beat-boxing tournament. I still don't really like the production sound that Dave is pushing at Sunfire at the moment. There is something missing compared to A-Beat C - the overall result just sounds a bit more hollow than we've been used to in the past. The song itself is a Dave & Nuage-style aishu classic - not ground-breaking but tuneful.

Fly has an absolutely AWESOME synth hook. Delta have really developed a keen ear for something that can hook a listener's ear and demand more replays. The vocal sections are still to make a major impact on me at the moment if I'm honest, and I preferred Marika's style rather than this "super-positive" sound, but that's a personal and initial gut feeling I reckon.

What D'you Want From Me is Michael Jackson meets Bosson and an eastern-European Eurovision entry (I think it was a group called Inculto this year that had a similar intro in the contest). Club sounds abounds and odd whiney tones in the vocals really push the Eurobeat envelope. It remains to be seen whether this will rub off on the fans. My personal feeling is this is a step backwards from I Won't Fall Apart - time will tell.

Interesting album - I have a feeling there are quite a few growers in there, but who knows which tracks will end up at the top of the tree for me. The only sure-fire hits at this stage are Rainy Days and New Horizon.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 04 Nov 2010, 00:38

the_ditz
Jager is clearly trying to be the next Michael Jackson with all those breathy grunts especially at the start of the song. Very bizarre - the production itself is a mesh of pop and 90's Eurodance.
they sould really leave this style to Lorenzo Campani of Eurogrooves. :?

I'm barely writing up the review for Vol. 208; an albume noone really seemed to care enough for to review. Who knows when I'll pick this up, but I defeintely wanna listen to Cy-Ro.

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 04 Nov 2010, 02:40

drnrg wrote:I'm barely writing up the review for Vol. 208; an albume noone really seemed to care enough for to review.
I also found it strange how nobody reviewed 208, but I doubt it's because "nobody cared" for it. Most people said they loved the album. Busy time of the year for most people here, I'm guessing.

Even though I hated 208 personally, I would've written a review if I didn't have my finals that month.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 04 Nov 2010, 04:13

drnrg wrote:they sould really leave this style to Lorenzo Campani of Eurogrooves. :?
Cringe inducing, Jager sounds better in my opinion.

Anyways, Mad Man is clearly the standout track for me of the album now. The whole sinister and dark feel this song has fits right up my alley and Manuel just sounds epic over here. It's a total 360 from the trains, magics and limousines for sure and I'd go as far as saying it's one of his best track ever.

Other tracks I'm looping heavily are Fly, Japanese Girl, What D'You Want From Me and Kiss Me.

Change and Bad ... The instant I heard these two, it's right away at the bottom of the album, no questions asked.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 04 Nov 2010, 20:03

Chicks:

I am looping Delta's chick tune a lot too...itz a very pretty ballad tune, with some amazing melo hooks, and vocals are very cute and warm.
I like a lot the Delta's direction with their last 2 chick driven blokbasters.

Macho side:

Manuel is the leader here, all round good HOOKING. Helloween tune with an epic feel.
Synth orchestration should 've more solid to fit the epic sympho tune...
Think Queen..I really deslike those toy casio sounds Dima sneaked in there..

I'll comment some more as I get more stuff..

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 04 Nov 2010, 22:26

Already there are a few more clear winners emerging after two complete loops of the disc in my car today:

Mad Man is a pretty epic track all-round, and continues Manuel's strong form. Vocals do sometimes go a bit too wild for my liking, but the overall production and quality of the song as a whole is awesome.

Fly is extremely cute, and I'm really starting to warm to the more major-key melodies in use. Again, the production greatly helps this song rise above the rest of the field.

There are two skippers on this album also - Bad and Call My Name. The former is just ugly and really depresses me in its unoriginality and repetition. Call My Name on the other has no redeeming features that I can hear - the vocals are poorly produced, and the whole song just has that "heard it a million times before from the same producer" feel.

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 06 Nov 2010, 00:45

This album lived up to my expectations. I enjoyed every song except 'Japanese Girl', 'Fly' and 'Bad'. I was about to include the Dave duet among these as well until I heard that incredible outro. It was so epic that it literally sent chills down my spine.

Undoubtedly, the standout of the album for me would have to be the Eurogrooves remix of 'Kiss Me'. I've generally just enjoyed most of the J-Euro remixes up until this point, but this one really blew the jackpot. Everything about it is absolutely amazing. I can't fault it, except that I can't understand the singer, haha.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 06 Nov 2010, 01:16

I guess no one has seen the booklet yet, but I dunno how Davide was able to co-write a song for Go Go's....