Super Eurobeat 211

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 12 Dec 2010, 03:11

zoupzuop2 wrote:
Vadim wrote:Tradition is a very important thing (esp. in Japan).
SEB has been a compilation of european eurobeat for 20 years.
SEB has a certain unique style and identity. European identity.

Japanese style and songs are a world apart compared to SEB.

No messing with our the only remaining classic compilation!
To j-eurobeat I say : no way !

You want to introduce a new label..?
Start with Akyr..!
My apologies, but I must be blunt.

That post, barring the idea that Akyr should come back, is plainly false. For the details, keep reading; for the jist, skip to the last paragraph.

Yes, Japan holds tradition dear by stereotype, but any popular genre, regardless of country, MUST adapt to survive. Even Japanese executives know this— and ask for Eurobeat labels to make Eurobeat relevant as such (do you think Jager's recent entries were entirely whimsical?). Clinging TOO close to tradition is equally unhealthy to tossing it aside entirely. Notice that for all the changes Eurobeat has gone through, it retains a rather strong tradition (arrangement of synth brass, synth bass and a drum kit; common bpm range between 135 and 170 bpm, etc) from which it hasn't often deviated since its inception. Tradition and adaptation are not mutually exclusive, and Eurobeat requires a balance of both to survive.

And, the idea that Eurobeat is wholly European is absolute phooey. Japanese writers and producers have been involved in Eurobeat on multiple occasions. Songs as recent as "For Your Love" were WRITTEN by J-Euro labels such as Plum! As well, EVEN IF all those writers up until now were Italian, even if Dima didn't have his main studio in Thailand (3000+ miles away from Italy) and have a cowriter who's Thai, and even if Mega NRG Man didn't live in Sweden (or so I'm told), and a slew of other examples didn't fly in the face of this idea, I'm Californian, so I've tainted the 'perfectly European' pool. That's right, I SPECIFICALLY cause a problem in this theory, and I'm certainly not the only American to do so (Fausto Guio, if I'm not mistaken, is a New York native).

Furthermore, Eurobeat is the baby of Italo Disco and J-POP, a Japan-specific genre devised by Japan-specific tastes (not Europe's). Because it was originally Japanese taste that got Eurobeat (as it stood 19 years into its existence) to exist in the first place, if Japanese audiences decided it wanted a Japanese label in its own subgenre of pop then we who don't live in Japan have little say in the matter as we don't make up the majority of the demographic. Eurobeat is picked/sorted in Japan, sold in Japan (mostly, even if there ARE growing niches in other countries), and succeeds or fails first and foremost in Japan. Sucks for us non-Japanese if we don't like what they do (I don't mean that to be snarky; sometimes it really does suck).

Lastly, in Akiba Koubou's specific defense, have you even HEARD their material (specifically, DJ Command's style)? It's EXTREMELY faithful to traditional ABeatC and Delta. Yes, because the vocalists don't speak English natively (neither do Italians, by the way, they've just gotten slightly better at it over the years) they don't sound the same. But if you're listening to Eurobeat for the depth of the lyrics (or, worse, CLARITY of lyrics... the 'Misheard Lyrics' section of EBPrime doesn't exist for nothing!) then something isn't right.

tl;dr: Tradition and adaptation are not mutually exclusive, the idea that SEB is purely European is absolute bollocks (so says Dima's studio in Thailand and non-European artists like me~), Japanese-style songs are WHY Eurobeat has done so well as Eurobeat is a fusion of J-style and Italo, J-Euro has been integral to Eurobeat's success as far back as SEB 70 on a conservative estimate, and while Akyr-style tracks from Delta would be GREAT on SEB, Akiba Koubou would do fantastic on SEB.
Aside from the Akiba Koubou thing, I gotta say QFT on the rest.

taQ
Eurobeat Master

Post by taQ » 12 Dec 2010, 03:49

im sorry, but i dont agree. I enjoy those j-euro labels, especially plum, but I'd rather have another italian label. But akyr? doesn't anyone understand that akyr was just an outlet for laurent to license out more songs to other record companies? and it seems he's left the eurobeat scene for the time being.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 12 Dec 2010, 04:07

taQ wrote:im sorry, but i dont agree. I enjoy those j-euro labels, especially plum, but I'd rather have another italian label. But akyr? doesn't anyone understand that akyr was just an outlet for laurent to license out more songs to other record companies? and it seems he's left the eurobeat scene for the time being.
Okay, that's fair. Truth be told I'd love another Italian label too. The more the merrier! It keeps other labels on their toes and the newbie introduces something new, in most cases.
But, who? Beatfire, Blast and one other that I don't remember are the only other Italian labels I know of that have put out Eurobeat, and all of them are either defunct or died out after one release. Is there one we don't know of? Is LED going to make a comeback? Is a new one assembling for the sole purpose of appearing on SEB? (Shoot, would avex be willing to gamble on such a move with non-established producers and artists?)
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

MAtRiCks
Eurobeat Boom

Post by MAtRiCks » 12 Dec 2010, 05:46

Vadim wrote:Tradition is a very important thing (esp. in Japan).
SEB has been a compilation of european eurobeat for 20 years.
SEB has a certain unique style and identity. European identity.

Japanese style and songs are a world apart compared to SEB.

No messing with our the only remaining classic compilation!
SEB has seen some major restructuring almost every decade since the 140's, with labels hopping on and off the bandwagon quite randomly and lenght/number/format of songs varying to different extremes. Even the average bpm is on it's own rollercoaster ride, especially this last decade. With the J-Euro remixes making a comeback pretty much a hundred volumes after the last time it happened on the series, I wouldn't be surprised if this time it meant the inclusion of a full J-Euro label to the line-up.

jeurobeat
God of Romance

Post by jeurobeat » 12 Dec 2010, 06:50

zoupzuop2 wrote:And, the idea that Eurobeat is wholly European is absolute phooey. Japanese writers and producers have been involved in Eurobeat on multiple occasions. Songs as recent as "For Your Love" were WRITTEN by J-Euro labels such as Plum! As well, EVEN IF all those writers up until now were Italian, even if Dima didn't have his main studio in Thailand (3000+ miles away from Italy) and have a cowriter who's Thai, and even if Mega NRG Man didn't live in Sweden (or so I'm told),
FYI, Sweden is a European country. I think he lives in Switzerland (which is in Europe as well).

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 12 Dec 2010, 07:13

jeurobeat wrote:
zoupzuop2 wrote:And, the idea that Eurobeat is wholly European is absolute phooey. Japanese writers and producers have been involved in Eurobeat on multiple occasions. Songs as recent as "For Your Love" were WRITTEN by J-Euro labels such as Plum! As well, EVEN IF all those writers up until now were Italian, even if Dima didn't have his main studio in Thailand (3000+ miles away from Italy) and have a cowriter who's Thai, and even if Mega NRG Man didn't live in Sweden (or so I'm told),
FYI, Sweden is a European country. I think he lives in Switzerland (which is in Europe as well).
Europe, yes, but not Italy, the assumed 'hub'.
And, thank you, I knew it was a Sw* in Europe but I had forgotten which one. :x
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 12 Dec 2010, 07:58

I'll take another Italian label anyday over J Euro as well. The reason is simply because weather or not the songs have some Japanese pop influences here & there; it's still very clear that the Italians producers incorporate the classic Italo style onto their melodies and that's the reason I have stuck to Eurobeat all these years.

Another reason would be the vocals. Italians do have rather pronounced accents, but that's what I love about thier vocals to begin with. On the other hand, I don't find anything attractive when Japanese vocalists try to sing in English, much less try to follow a Eurobeat melody line. I believe ABeatC contracted Dr's Girl at one point and she was Japanese? She wasn't too bad, but as far as Japanese male singers are concerned, I say pass.

It's true what Travis said about the strong Japanese influence on Eurobeat being a good percentage of why Eurobeat has lasted this long. AbeatC would have to be the pioneereing label of injecting J-pop vibes onto Eurobeat. The songs by the TMN team like Wild Heaven and Stranger directly come to mind, but those songs worked becuase they were sung by allready established Italo vocalists ; Gino Caria and Dave Rodgers.

I'm not too up on other Eurobeat labels besides what we got at the moment. If Akyr is still on the map, then all the power to Newfield. I also really enjoyed that cool HRG Attack sounding music from Beat Fire.

Bottom line is this. If Somehow a brand new Italian label opened up showcasing new vocalists and started producing Eurobeat appeared on SEB, then I'm gonna accept them with open ears, but if some japanese Pop label is added to the series, then they might as well just keep on trying to heal me with that last track unless thier songs are sung by Italian vocalists.

zoupzuop2
And, the idea that Eurobeat is wholly European is absolute phooey. Japanese writers and producers have been involved in Eurobeat on multiple occasions. Songs as recent as "For Your Love" were WRITTEN by J-Euro labels such as Plum! As well, EVEN IF all those writers up until now were Italian, even if Dima didn't have his main studio in Thailand (3000+ miles away from Italy) and have a cowriter who's Thai, and even if Mega NRG Man didn't live in Sweden (or so I'm told), and a slew of other examples didn't fly in the face of this idea, I'm Californian, so I've tainted the 'perfectly European' pool. That's right, I SPECIFICALLY cause a problem in this theory, and I'm certainly not the only American to do so (Fausto Guio, if I'm not mistaken, is a New York native).
I always thought AbeatC's David SRB was American or English? He certainly didn't have an Italian accent. I remeber especially loving songs like Sledgehammer and Heroes, cuz of his different sounding vocals. Probobly the reason I like the tone of your as well.

Anwya, what I expect from the new Eurobeat year is. the more inportant ones are in black.

1. More 90's sounding Italo vibes from HRG Attack.
2. Sergio Dall ora getting more space to showcase new material.
3. More new vocalists like, Corrado, ect..
4. More aliases from David Dima instead of just David Dima
5. Some actual new material from Saifam
6. Less urban pop sounding Jager songs
7. A new Nando Bononi sung song PRONTO!!!!
8. New material from Beatfire
9. the return of, Dahny, Loranzo Campani, Giordano Gambogi, Judy Crystal(singing for HRG Attack),Luka T. andDavid Brudiesi(sorry if I misspelled his name)
10. Dima to release all those unpublished songs that appear on his website. As promised.
11. insert at least one older unreleased song on each SEB. Avex could choose a different label each month.
12. the return of vinyl pressed Eurobeat,(wishful thinking on my part)

I know its a lot of demands, but these are the reasons that would make Eurobeat even more enjoyable

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 12 Dec 2010, 08:44

drnrg wrote:Another reason would be the vocals. Italians do have rather pronounced accents, but that's what I love about thier vocals to begin with. On the other hand, I don't find anything attractive when Japanese vocalists try to sing in English, much less try to follow a Eurobeat melody line. I believe ABeatC contracted Dr's Girl at one point and she was Japanese? She wasn't too bad, but as far as Japanese male singers are concerned, I say pass.
I understand what you mean, Japanese voices can be somewhat divisive. Two things, though:
1) Some Americans ARE weaseling into J-Euro labels~
2) Japan probably wouldn't mind as much.
drnrg with zoupzuop2's commentary wrote:Anyway, what I expect from the new Eurobeat year is. the more inportant ones are in black.

1. More 90's sounding Italo vibes from HRG Attack.
I hope so! Evidently Festari's more excited about this new approach, and I like it too!
PLEASE, MORE OF THIS.
ALSO THIS.
Possible and likely.
Eh, hopefully but less likely.
Can't say I see this happening. BOTH of his introductory songs are styled like this, I'm figuring it's his style to sound like Urban Pop.
I don't EXPECT this but I'd like it.
I think they're defunct. Why would they revive out of nowhere?
9. the return of, Dahny, Loranzo Campani, Giordano Gambogi, Judy Crystal(singing for HRG Attack),Luka T. andDavid Brudiesi(sorry if I misspelled his name)
Judy Crystal hasn't been around for years. I'd love to see her back too but I can't say I expect this. Davide Budresi (not sure if I have it right either!) and Luka T are still in the stable last I checked. The rest... I'unno. They'd be nice but I don't expect them.
10. Dima to release all those unpublished songs that appear on his website. As promised.
I expect this too... not wholeheartedly, there could be a glitch in the system, but I hope they're released.
11. insert at least one older unreleased song on each SEB. Avex could choose a different label each month.
I don't expect this but it'd be nice. Oh Oh Cowboy from HRG NEEDS to see the light!!!
...yeah, sort of wishful, but there ARE still select songs pressed to vinyl IIRC.
Join me on an Odyssey.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 12 Dec 2010, 10:14

drnrg wrote:1. More 90's sounding Italo vibes from HRG Attack.

Oh god No! No no no and no. This is NOT Super Italo-Discobeat, This is Super Eurobeat. Bring back the fast (normal) Eurobeat BPMs (150-170).

Agreed. I miss Eurogrooves.

Those are always welcome :)

Dima needs to take a break seriously. It was an overkill this decade.

You guys said that all those "new" songs were rehash... Not for me... Except the obvious

Well, What D'You Want From Me is a good song but I would definetely like I Won't Fall Apart-type songs better anyday.

Not sure what vocalist it is, but, comeback are always welcome. Like a Neo comeback would be cool

I didn't hear anything from that label so... not gonna say anything.

9. the return of, Dahny, Loranzo Campani, Giordano Gambogi, Judy Crystal (singing for HRG Attack), Luka T. and David Brudiesi (sorry if I misspelled his name)

See #7.

GAWD. YES. I want to hear those trance songs ;_;

GAWD. Yes. More Pamsy. I want to hear the original Emoticons from Christine too ;_;

Vinyl = past
Comments in red.

I would love to have original J-Euro on SEB... sung in Japanese of course ;)
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 12 Dec 2010, 16:27

First of all, I am totally with Doc on the above points..

Now a few bonus points just to clear the air..

To note, my post talks only about the j-eurobeat labels...I mean nothing beyound that.

...I don't give a shit who they recruited and from there, it's the style and musical direction that matters and that general musical direction must stay original eurobeat as it always was..!

Writers, musicians or arrangers from outside, like USA or Asia or wtver, as external elements can bring new ideas. I am never in opposition to this.

I oppose the idea of destroying the foundation of label selection and the
style of music presented. European eurobeat and asian one are different
styles in every possible way and are created for completely different audiences. This doesn't mean that I deslike j-eurobeat. On the countrary.

I am always for bringing up the eurobeat conservation issue.
Preserving this style of music means keeping the direction and style
true.

Italians have actually deserved their exclusivity on SEB by years and years or sacrifices and by the hardest work. Japanese can never produce
the true italian way so let's not get into misunderstanding here.

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 12 Dec 2010, 17:40

I do agree with your points to some extent. As much as I like experimentation of new ideas on Super Eurobeat, if the boundaries were pushed too far, then the series would lose the identity that it has established for so many years. I love the series for what it is, and I would be personally alienated if it strayed too far from what got me into it in the first place.

The problem, however, is that as it is right now, SEB is not particularly profitable. This is why the series has changed its format so much over the past few years, in contrast to the relatively consistent middle era of the series (SEB 64 - 139), when sales were much higher. Since it apparently can't successfully promote the series in its current state, Avex's only hope is to reinvent the wheel and hopefully attract a much broader audience in doing so. This explains why, as of late, we've gotten J-Euro remixes and non-eurobeat-styled versions of previous tracks from the series - they were more likely intended to be a lure to new listeners of the series and not so much a way to retain old ones. Since J-Euro is a more conventional style of the genre from a Japanese perspective, I'd say it would be an ideal addition to the current repertoire of labels. Even if long-time fans aren't happy with all of the experimentation done to the series, I honestly can't blame Avex if it means keeping SEB on its heels.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 13 Dec 2010, 02:50

I think AVEX should either make a new comp to host new eurobeat labels, or not add any new ones at all.

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 13 Dec 2010, 03:25

Nine wrote:I think AVEX should either make a new comp to host new eurobeat labels, or not add any new ones at all.
Amen! Or have a two-disc album release...we are at 9 labels squeezed deathly tight in a disc at once.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 13 Dec 2010, 04:57

I'm at the point where I think Avex should just have 5 compilations that come out a year (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, Special) of 26 songs and have the singles on iTunes. It would be about the same exact number of songs, and a better representation of how the songs should be presented. That's how Eurodance and Trance is released now.
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 13 Dec 2010, 08:54

thejti
I'm at the point where I think Avex should just have 5 compilations that come out a year (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, Special) of 26 songs and have the singles on iTunes. It would be about the same exact number of songs, and a better representation of how the songs should be presented. That's how Eurodance and Trance is released now.
I'm aftraid to ask, but are you saying that you prefer 5 nonstops a year by noting 26 a compilation. :???: :?

Lebon14

Not sure what vocalist it is, but, comeback are always welcome. Like a Neo comeback would be cool
Too lazy to explain them all, but Nando Bonini is the classic vocalist behind some of Eurobeat's best aliases ever. Mike Hammer, Stop Limit, Tension,ect.. from TIME and for DELTA he sang under Mako, Dr, LOve, Nando, Man Power,Elvis. He also sang and wrote for Stil Novo(Very underestimated 90s Hi Energy/Italo label) and as late ; he sang, Sinclair's "Toy For LOve.- 8)

Megan188
I do agree with your points to some extent. As much as I like experimentation of new ideas on Super Eurobeat, if the boundaries were pushed too far, then the series would lose the identity that it has established for so many years. I love the series for what it is, and I would be personally alienated if it strayed too far from what got me into it in the first place.
LOVE this coment, cuz it could also be applied to whatever era of SEB ,one started litening to.