Jager - The Official Website

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 14 Nov 2010, 06:30

I don't know how many of you remeber C&R records; a subsidery label pf AbeatC, but that label did alot of those Friday Night version on side one with more trancy/techno elements and the Saturday Night version on side b; which emphasized on the more hi Energy elements.

The major difference there was that the songs carried the same title and weren't trying to be sneaky about it.

Imagine if there was no sample for Stay Away from Me and some Eurobeat fan purchased the song hoping for some new groundbreaking tune. I can understand why Ditz is steamed about this.
SCP could at least had the decency to entitle the song Whadya Want fro me (the Stay Away from me Mix) or Say Away from me (whadaya Want from me part 2) something to let us know we were in for a major screwing :-x

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 14 Nov 2010, 15:37

drnrg wrote:I don't know how many of you remeber C&R records; a subsidery label pf AbeatC, but that label did alot of those Friday Night version on side one with more trancy/techno elements and the Saturday Night version on side b; which emphasized on the more hi Energy elements.

The major difference there was that the songs carried the same title and weren't trying to be sneaky about it.

Imagine if there was no sample for Stay Away from Me and some Eurobeat fan purchased the song hoping for some new groundbreaking tune. I can understand why Ditz is steamed about this.
SCP could at least had the decency to entitle the song Whadya Want fro me (the Stay Away from me Mix) or Say Away from me (whadaya Want from me part 2) something to let us know we were in for a major screwing :-x
QFT.

But whatever, the labels can promote their artists and music in any way they deem acceptable, but to me this is just a step too far in terms of trying to milk the maximum amount of profit from one song (and a sub-standard one at that IMO). In these times, I can't afford to waste moeny on copycat tracks with little effort spent on making them worth my hard-earned cash.

All it's done is lowered my opinion of SCP and Jager to be honest.

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 14 Nov 2010, 17:36

I feel like this is probably some desperate move to make more cash - remember that Avex and the labels are gradually losing profit made from the genre - but I honestly don't know how anyone besides hardcore fans of eurobeat would even find out about these releases. The only possible way to get these songs to make more money is if a hardcore listener campaigns to show the songs to several people and encourages them to buy them off iTunes. I think the Original Demo version of I Won't Fall Apart, as well as the Lady J version of Stay Away From Me Tonight, could be especially popular if shown to the masses, but the eurobeat versions would be particularly key in getting new people interested in the rest of SCP's music as well. I Won't Fall Apart, in particular, has such an amazingly catchy chorus that I don't see how it wouldn't draw in such attention.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 14 Nov 2010, 21:32

OMG everyone calm down. You guys are overreacting. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PURCHASE THIS SONG! You CAN listen to the sample and determine if you want it. You DON'T have to press the buy song. If you don't want it, don't get it. Geez... I can't believe how much drama you guys are making out of this...
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 14 Nov 2010, 22:23

thejti wrote:OMG everyone calm down. You guys are overreacting. YOU DON'T HAVE TO PURCHASE THIS SONG! You CAN listen to the sample and determine if you want it. You DON'T have to press the buy song. If you don't want it, don't get it. Geez... I can't believe how much drama you guys are making out of this...
Indeed, Jorge. This is all a bit too overdramatic even for my liking, haha.

What's funny about this situation is that it's not exactly new. Remember how the original version of 'Sandy' by Mela was a complete rip-off of 'Let the Music Plays' by David Dima & Krystal, which in turn was an appropriation of Aleky's 'Ready to Fly'? There were no "Friday" or "Saturday" versions of these songs; they were named differently and gave everybody the impression that they were new. This is the exact same situation with Jager's two songs. The only difference is that I don't remember anybody getting so worked up over the 'LTMP' trio of songs even though there was cross-label "theft" at work.

It seems to me that the people in this thread only want to justify their hate for Jager's 'What D'You Want From Me' even further, which is becoming quite sad really.

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 15 Nov 2010, 00:56

I think the stinging disappointment that SAFMT is just a rehash of WDYWFM rather than a truly new song is the main source of the intense resentment that I and others feel. Granted, I do like seeing different approaches to the same song, but this track was presented in such a way that made me expect something completely different, and so I feel like I was ripped off, unsatisfied not to have gotten what I was excited for. This has nothing to do with me or anyone else not caring for WDYWFM. The same problem would've occured if this had happened to a song that I truly enjoy - that's why I felt cold and unsatisfied by Big in Japan 2007 for almost completely reusing the same synthline from Don't Stop The Music 2006 (which I like) rather than coming up with something original and creative (or at least an appropriate update to the the original Big in Japan's synthline). The issue is not what SCP made, but rather how they promoted it.

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 15 Nov 2010, 03:07

Jay wrote:It seems to me that the people in this thread only want to justify their hate for Jager's 'What D'You Want From Me' even further, which is becoming quite sad really.
This one I have to agree, there's no link between this misleading promotion and one liking WDYWFM at all.

Back to topic, It's all a matter of the promotion really. Even as a Jager fan myself, I was very disappointed precisely because I was eagerly anticipating the "new" song that the website was hyping about but it was anything but that when it's release came around. To be fair though, the Lady J version's can technically be counted as a "new" song and if you ask me : I say ignore the SCP eurobeat ver and buy the Lady J version instead.

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 15 Nov 2010, 03:17

Even though I was surprised that Stay Away From Me was an alternate version of What D'you Want From Me, I think it's freaking awesome that SCP is releasing these tracks on iTunes.

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 15 Nov 2010, 04:48

Megan188 wrote:I think the stinging disappointment that SAFMT is just a rehash of WDYWFM rather than a truly new song is the main source of the intense resentment that I and others feel.
Megan188 wrote:The issue is not what SCP made, but rather how they promoted it.
You've contradicted yourself. You first say that the chief cause of your resentment for 'SAFMT' is the fact that it's a carbon copy of 'WDYWFM', but at the end of your post you say otherwise. What do you really believe? I'm not much of a fan of these carbon copies, I have to admit, but I can't really understand where all the resentment is coming from considering this is far from a new phenomenon in the eurobeat world.

As for the promotion of 'SAFMT' as a new single, sure, it obviously threw a lot of people off guard, but I don't think the promotion was all that misleading. Irrespective of how similar it is to 'WDYWFM', 'SAFMT' still features enough fresh elements to be considered "new." Besides, is it really so bad that SCP promoted this single in such a manner to gain a bigger profit? From what I gather, you and the_ditz consider this to be a bad thing, but can you really blame SCP for promoting 'SAFMT' in this way especially considering this is how they earn a living?

I'll leave you and the other naysayers with this thought: put yourself in SCP's shoes. If you were a singer or producer trying to promote a new single that sounded very similar to one of your previous singles, how would you market it to gain the most profit? Would you tell the masses that it's a carbon copy of one of your previous songs or would you promote it as a "new" single?

Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Megan188 » 15 Nov 2010, 06:40

Jay wrote:You've contradicted yourself. You first say that the chief cause of your resentment for 'SAFMT' is the fact that it's a carbon copy of 'WDYWFM', but at the end of your post you say otherwise. What do you really believe? I'm not much of a fan of these carbon copies, I have to admit, but I can't really understand where all the resentment is coming from considering this is far from a new phenomenon in the eurobeat world.
The problem I had was simply that I thought SAFMT was going to be a new song, but it really wasn't. I felt ripped off because my expectations were completely let down. I think drnrg said it best when he stated that they could've at least given the song a title that actually indicated that it was a different version of WDYWFM and not the entirely unrelated new song that I was desperately hoping for. Had the song not been promoted to look fully original, then I would not have been upset.

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 19 Nov 2010, 17:31

MESSAGE FROM JAGER TO THE FANS

Hi everybody, I just want to give an aswer to all the fans that wrote me asking: “Hey, why the songs ‘What D’You Want From Me’ and ‘Stay Away From Me’ are so similar ??” The answer is simple. First of all I didn’t want to cheat you guys !! The first one has been produced for the Japanese market only and it contains a voice melody sample from a famous american song, so it’s a sort of “cover”, and has been released by the record company AVEX on the compilation SEB 209.

The second one has been produced and published by SCP Music for the worldwide market except for Japan, the only difference is that this doesn’t contain the voice melody sample.

My songs are released and distribuited in two different markets: the worldwide one and the Japanese one, so that’s the reason why ‘What D’You Want From Me’ and ‘Stay Away From Me’ are basically the same song but have different titles. That’s all folks !!

I wanted to give you all an answer directly from my mouth, because I don’t want to hide nothing to you guys. Thank you for all your great and continuos support, for your enthusiasm and for being with me !!

A BIG “CIAO” ( hello ) TO YOU ALL !! – JAGER

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 20 Nov 2010, 03:30

I'm kinda upset that it had to come to this... He shouldn't have had to post that... I have no qualms with e-mailing him and asking him about it in a polite way, but with the way the forum blew up and all the negativity, it's like he was forced to have to respond.
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 20 Nov 2010, 09:11

First of all, DarkSky, please also note the source. That's the least thing you can do.

http://www.jagermusic.net/eng/what-dyou ... ifications

And besides that, I think that this is actually wonderful news. Because that means SCP Music has found a way to release music themselves. For a long time they were tied to Avex, but appearently, they aren't anymore. This could mean a load of B-side versions of songs might actually be released this way. ;O!!

the_ditz
Euroheater

Post by the_ditz » 20 Nov 2010, 10:21

I stand by my original post, but I appreciate the fact that Jager has now put the gossip to bed if you like.

If I'm honest, I didn't actually realise that What D'You Want From Me hadn't been released as a single on iTunes - I just assumed that because I Won't Fall Apart had been given the iTunes single treatment, What D'You Want From Me would also have been posted. So in that sense, it's a good way to promote the music to different markets (although surely the US market would have been more receptive to having the Adam Lambert-inspired sample in the song?)

Who knows - the issue is over now. I'm just hoping we get brand new tracks in the future. :)

Nine
Mr. Domino

Post by Nine » 20 Nov 2010, 18:30

thejti wrote:I'm kinda upset that it had to come to this... He shouldn't have had to post that... I have no qualms with e-mailing him and asking him about it in a polite way, but with the way the forum blew up and all the negativity, it's like he was forced to have to respond.
I know what you mean. It's sad it came to that.