Type of synths used in Eurobeat hooks?

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
DJ Void
Bad Bad Bad

Type of synths used in Eurobeat hooks?

Post by DJ Void » 29 Aug 2006, 18:38

First post! Best Eurobeat site I know of and cool forums too, props to you all.

I need some help finding how to make the sensational sound that the hooks in many eurobeat songs use, like the type of synth it is (e.g. super saw). It varies a lot of course, and different types would be awesome to know, so I'll just name some songs with good hooks to use for examples.

Get Me Power - Mega NRG Man
Take Me Higher - Dave Rodgers
Take Me Like A Wild Boy - Mega NRG Man
Running In The 90's - Max Coveri
Space Boy - Dave Rodgers
Seventies - Mega NRG Man
Rockydance - Eurobeat Girls
Love, Sex and Money - Virginelle
Baby Don't Let Me Down - Virginelle
Love As A Weapon - Larabelle

I'm interested in the production of eurobeat songs and this would help a lot. Thanks to everyone!

clubraf
Eurocurious

Post by clubraf » 29 Aug 2006, 19:06

I guess the best name for the sound would be "Eurobeat" synth, haha.

The super saw is very close, but not quite. The best way to get a eurobeat hook is to take the normal super saw, and experiment a bit using a software frequency driver. Try take the super saw wave, add another triangle harmonic onto the wave, and then possibly increase the frequency after that.

But the super saw is a good starting point to get the hook sound from. Just mess around with the wave until you hear something you like. If not, record a small loop from a eurobeat song and deconstruct that wave. It would give you a good starting point if you have a hard time making your own.

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 29 Aug 2006, 19:15

Read the "home recording" thread. At least until the point I hijacked it. :P

As I've said there, often it isn't one particular synth, but a combination of synth sounds. And the synth itself adds some quality and character. What I usually end up going back to for my lead synth sound is a preset called "Enough Power" on a Waldorf MicroQ, which is a saw with two detuned pulse waves, usually with a secondary synth sound playing either the same line, or a different octave.

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by newfield » 30 Aug 2006, 11:53

get a roland jd800...brass preset is The sound!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 03 Sep 2006, 08:07

Greetings from the Doctor 8)

Long time no hear Mr. Newfield. Glad to see you on the forums again ..and helping young Eurobeat aspireers with your musical secrets. :D

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 03 Sep 2006, 19:48

Oh, I've heard some people recommend Superwave P-8 or Pro. I don't know the site of p8, but pro is at http://www.superwave.co.uk. It's supposed to do a good job imitating the supersaw. p-8 is free, pro isn't (the main difference I can think of is p8 doesn't have an arpeggiator, and pro is supposed to be easier on the system resources, but it's still a bit of a hog, or my compy just sucks), but as far as vsts go, it's pretty damn cheap. I got pro, along with the trance edition, although admittedly I only use the trance one. And generally only for arps, but it's a damn good trance arp. :P (my latest post in home recording uses Superwave Trance Pro as the main synth in the instrumental line)

UQ100
Bazooka Bellydancer

Re: Type of synths used in Eurobeat hooks?

Post by UQ100 » 24 Sep 2006, 08:05

Believe it or not... Albino 3 has an 'Italo Brass' preset... wonder if the preset programmer (Rob Papen) had Italo-Disco in mind?! (He is Dutch.)

Anyway, here's a demo of me playing around on it, it's layered with a couple of other Albino 3 presets... (sounds a bit metallic...?)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... F552D48807

P.S. Excuse the 'unregistered plug-in' noise sounds.

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 24 Sep 2006, 14:37

UQ100 wrote:P.S. Excuse the 'unregistered plug-in' noise sounds.
XD Though maybe it was just the volume I was playing it, I didn't hear it.

Nice to see you back posting after a while.

Toni
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Toni » 26 Sep 2006, 20:09

I recently got myself a USB/MIDI keyboard! In Logic Express I can use a lot of Synthesiser presettings from Garageband.

There are a lot of different synths in Eurobeat AFAIK and most of 'em are combined synths.

In Logic/Garageband the 'Ornos Brass' is a fine one, but a combination of 'Cheerful Trance' and 'Aurora Bells' is also quite nice for some slower Eurobeat.

Does anyone know any other combinations/preset synths in Logic Express that might sound nice?
I'm on the Road Again - Powerful T.

CheeseCake! Studio
Toni Productions

Currently working on: Mega NRG Team 3

UQ100
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by UQ100 » 27 Sep 2006, 00:05

Toni wrote:In Logic/Garageband the 'Ornos Brass' is a fine one, but a combination of 'Cheerful Trance' and 'Aurora Bells' is also quite nice for some slower Eurobeat.
Hmm, can't seem to find these, what version of Garageband do you have?
Does anyone know any other combinations/preset synths in Logic Express that might sound nice?
'Juno Bass' on the Logic ES1 synth is decent, especially if you play with the filter.

Garageband instruments:

Digital Mono: 'Old FM Bass', say with the harmonics set to 6 and timbre to 14 is almost instant early Hi-NRG 'octave' bass.
'Sine bass.'

Digital Basic: 'Digital Softpad' layered with the default settings is a nice 'Fantasia'-type bell sound.

Analog Pad: 'Analog Dreams.'

Analog Swirl: 'PWM Slow Brass'/'Poly Basic 1'/'Poly Basic 2' (all quite similar.)
'Analog Swell.'

Here's a demo of 'PWM Slow Brass' layered with 'Analog Dreams':

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 8B459E710D

Bit metallic but still, quite lush and professional sounding (and better than many of these "highly rated" plug-ins?!)?

UQ100
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by UQ100 » 28 Sep 2006, 12:34

Mikaeru wrote:Oh, I've heard some people recommend Superwave P-8 or Pro. I don't know the site of p8, but pro is at http://www.superwave.co.uk. It's supposed to do a good job imitating the supersaw.
Or you could get the "REAL THING" for not so much these days with the Roland SH-201. It even has USB host integration (audio and MIDI send, with control from a "plug-in.")
Mikaeru wrote:And generally only for arps, but it's a damn good trance arp.
On that topic... I think it's important to be careful using arps, 'cause they can really fill up a lot of space in the arrangement/mix without adding anything. And a better option can be working out and playing/programming a good riff instead.
Last edited by UQ100 on 28 Sep 2006, 12:41, edited 3 times in total.

UQ100
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by UQ100 » 28 Sep 2006, 12:36

Mikaeru wrote:Nice to see you back posting after a while.
Thanks. :)

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

hooks

Post by newfield » 28 Sep 2006, 14:43

I overuse GB Analog Basic presets with FM7 Trance lead,that's over all Akyrmusic hooks...just add logic eq+comp+ddl+reverb,that's it.

Wataru Akiyama
Eurobeat Master

Post by Wataru Akiyama » 28 Sep 2006, 15:19

Thanks, Mr. Newfield! One of my friends was wondering about this too, he's an amateur DJ and wants to get into music making.

UQ100
Bazooka Bellydancer

Re: hooks

Post by UQ100 » 01 Oct 2006, 15:52

newfield wrote:I overuse GB Analog Basic presets with FM7 Trance lead,that's over all Akyrmusic hooks...just add logic eq+comp+ddl+reverb,that's it.
Thanks Newfield!

Do you find the quality is really up to it compared to the best synths or you just use this for reasons of convenience/workflow? Are the Akyr tracks all just done in Logic with soft-synths?

BTW FM8 is out shortly...