"Varieties" of Eurobeat

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
zoupzuop2
Euroheater

"Varieties" of Eurobeat

Post by zoupzuop2 » 07 Jan 2007, 00:17

AKA, more ways to know how new at this whole thing I am.

It appears to me that there are multiple KINDS of Eurobeat; not just by means of record companies and aliases, but actual USES and POTENTIALS of the songs. I'll proceed to prove my point... some songs seem more suited for certain kinds of things. For instance:

*"Driving Eurobeat"
...for driving. This is the Initial D stuff, the kind that, most likely, discusses the road, a race, ad nauseum. Time seems to love this spot, as does Delta. Examples would include:
Burning Highway
Speedy Speed Boy
Forever Young
Night of Fire (ALL variations)

*"Dancing Eurobeat"
Far more focused on the Parapara and/or dancing bit, this is where I would land a good percent of HI-NRG tracks, as well as some Dancemania songs. Examples:
ANYTHING from Franz Tornado or affiliated.
Hot Limit
Tokyo All Ready
Yozora No Muko

*"Theme or Fulfillment Eurobeat"
Less common with most record labels, barring A Beat C and HI-NRG Attack. These are songs written to make a point, give off a specific (set of) idea(s), or promote a specific artist or album. Examples:
Campus Summit-Campus Summit
ANYTHING from the album "Royal Eurobeat Orchestra of Bazookistan"-Russia
Class of Velfarre-Velfarre
Disney Eurobeat-BUY DISNEY PRODUCTS. IT IS YOUR PURPOSE IN LIFE.
Many songs-India (guilty.)

Am I on the right track? Is there one I'm missing? Is this just all total bunk? Am I asking too many questions?

Jion

Post by Jion » 07 Jan 2007, 01:18

I wouldn't use that sort of classification since a multitude of songs can fit into either category or even all three. But there is a distinct style to some.

Rock Eurobeat aka Electrorock - A mix of heavy hard rock guitars with a metal-like bassline.

Examples: Spock - The Fire's On Me
Mickey B. - Take Me Baby
Go 2 - Looka Bomba

Trancebeat - Probably the newest and currently most influential style right now. Started by Time Records with songs such as Voices by Helena and I'm Dreaming by Arena 69 that seemed to borrow many elements from Eiffel 65 and other dance styles at the time. Pioneered by SCP with artists such as Pamsy and nowadays in most of SCP's songs, there is a trance echo, synth or element that is used. Other labels (such as A-Beat C and Delta) have also picked up on this style.

Examples: Candy Taylor - Eurobeat Kind Of Love
Pamsy - Dancin' Alone
Nuage - Shine
Lisa Lion - Wonderful Feelin'

Theres a variety of things you can also fit things into. What do you guys think?
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 07 Jan 2007, 02:47

I tend to differentiate between the styles based more simply on sound since there are para dances to all styles of Eurobeat. However some styles are divided by sex although you'll have the occasional track by the opposite sex in the same style.

"Serious"
To me this is the kind of eurobeat that you would not be surprised to hear in an Initial D episode (regardless of whether it wa sin an episode or not). Examples of this style would be:
- Speed Man
- Go Racin' Go
- Burning Desire
- Like a Fire
- Night of FIYAH!
- and the odd female track like Never Let You Go, Big On Emotion, Let The Rain, etc.

"Romantic"
A lot of eurobeat talks about love and whatever, but when I mention this category I mean the more slow subdued type of Eurobeat. Examples of this style include:
- Rose
- Sophie
- Helena
- You get the point ;P But also Norma Sheffield, Nuage at times, Rick Castle, and a lot of male Time stuff like Time of Love or Satisfy my Soul

"Crazy"
These are the types of songs that are energetic and more often than not sing about foolishness or randomness. Evidently Hi NRG rules this category:
- Majority of Hi-NRG Attack tracks
- late 90s/early 00s Go Go Girls
- Kiki & Fancy/Kika
- Milk & Coffea/ Tipsy & Tipsy

"Discobeat"
To me this differs from Italo in the sense of that the song has an old style to it compared to the other songs it was released with in the same era. Take for example:

- Don't Say Goodbye
- Shy Gun
- Switch!
- Only For Love Only For You
- Get Up And Move It

There's also the recent "Trancebeat" style which was mentioned in the post above mine. Also there's the fact that some styles are just so unique to a label I can't split them up because the best way i can explain it is that it is like two styles put together (Think of "Betty Blue - Changes" or "Maria Valentino - Stand inside my love" that sound like Romantic and Serious put together or how Male saifam vocals like "Monkey" sounds like some SCP/Hi-NRG Attack amalgation). There are more categories you could split all this up into but I think you get the idea. This is basically how I view eurobeat 8)

taQ
Eurobeat Master

Post by taQ » 07 Jan 2007, 04:57

Densetsu13 wrote: "Romantic"
though...
this is pretty much classified as aishuu eurobeat in Japan.
Densetsu13 wrote: "Crazy"
though...
a better term to use is comical. I don't necessarily agree with Milk & Coffea

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 07 Jan 2007, 06:34

Not bad at all. I agree with most of it Except I would put HRG Attack in a catagory all it's own.

HRG Attack = CHOATIC
Meaning uses all the basic elements of a Eurobeat song, but in a warped sense. (this is in no way a bad thing, but rather great!) The keys (synths are usually Mega Fast and allmost incomprehensable, but to the kean ear allways hears the ClassicItalo rythm hidden underneath. Also the Vocalists (save Gianni Corainni) have an Agressive /Harsh tone to them. For the Females High Pitched to the point of Childlike. Anotherthing is the titles. They consist of
Maid Attack
Control Alt Deleet & Blow
Pun Pun Girl
Buga Buga Choo Choo

..and finally ..The Artist. The most famous being Franz Tornado or Mad Cow and his assorted band of Akhibara,Balailaka, Troka, (you Fill In The Blank) girls.

All these things to me are what make HRG so Special and I would never want LIVEMUSIC team to change a thing :D

para_rigby
Euroheater

Post by para_rigby » 07 Jan 2007, 08:28

There are a couple of different styles I hear in eurobeat...

~SILLY & HAPPY~
Energetic nonsensical songs from artists like Go Go Girls, Kiki and etc., Mad Cow...
1. Roly Poly Rock
2. Cyber Dance
3. Maid Attack
4. Sexy Sexy Sexy

~LOVE BALLADS~
Romantic and beautiful songs...I usually get these from Delta
1. Don't Let My Love Disappear
2. Victim
3. Don't Say Goodbye

~DISCO/FUNK INSPIRED~
1. Shy Gun
2. Get Up and Move It
3. Crazy and Ready

~J-EURO~
It's either actual Japanese singers or singers like Domino who sing parts of a song in Japanese
1. Audience
2. Fuku Wa Uchi
3. Deluxe

~DREAMY/MELLOW~
1. RAIN
2. TU ES L'AMOUR

~POWER~
Agressive rock/eurobeat or eurobeat with very strong synths
1. Over The Rainbow
2. Virtual Love
3. Pride

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 07 Jan 2007, 16:27

Ain't Eurofunk a bit funkish? :)

Power and Metal: Dark Angels (i would like to see more dark angels!), Spock, Dave's Pride

Driving: ah well.. almost all eurobeat with heavy guitars :)

Romantic: Romantic eurobeat.. naah. i like my eurobeat with speed & power.
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 08 Jan 2007, 01:46

Ahhn, I don't think this is what I meant...

...see, I can tell exactly what you're talking about. Sure, to each artist and label, their own styles apply. However, on a general view of the entire set as a general whole, some songs serve different PURPOSES.
While one CAN parapara to, say, Forever Young, it could be argued that it better serves as a stimulator for racing or fast driving. Ganguro or Hot Limit, however, could be more easily utilized in a parapara setting than a racing atmosphere. The Disney Eurobeat, I'd figure, is an attempt to either fill a room with "Disney" emotion (which it does rather well), or just to make Disney and A Beat C more money. Even then, there's a whole different purpose for the likes of SOME A Beat C songs and general artists, and is usually best utilized through... whatever they'd be used best for. Some even use it to work out (although the selection through American iTunes sucks... "Eurobeat" my eye...), which I can attest to.

See what I mean? Although I see the general THEMES and SUB-STYLES of most songs (and, believe me, I DO), they all still serve different PURPOSES. Parapara, Driving, Atmosphere, Money... whatever.

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 08 Jan 2007, 04:43

zoupzuop2 wrote:While one CAN parapara to, say, Forever Young, it could be argued that it better serves as a stimulator for racing or fast driving.
The ironic thing? Forever Young *WAS* choreographed by Velfarre (and/or Starfire, not too sure which, but someone'll correct me)

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 09 Jan 2007, 06:31

You were right in stating that Forever Young was choreographed by Velfarre. Like i had said in my post before, all types of eurobeat have para choreographies.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 09 Jan 2007, 22:05

Right. I know that Forever Young has a Parapara routine. MOST Eurobeat songs have Parapara routines, at least, to my knowledge. HOWEVER! That doesn't mean that Forever Young's seeming PURPOSE, for lack of a better word, is simply Parapara. One would venture that it's MORESO focused (albeit, admittedly, NOT totally so) on a "car driving/racing" facet or atmosphere. Bandolero Comanchero has a Parapara Routine (one that I rather like), and lends itself to Parapara more, maybe, than it would to, say, racing or driving of cars.

...maybe I'm not 'getting it' myself.

Toni
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Toni » 09 Jan 2007, 23:02

In the Netherlands I'm desicribed as a Eurobeat fan who listens to Old Devious Eurobeat. Could this be discribed as a "Variety"?

The general artists that are qualified as Old Devious Eurobeat are:
-Dave Rodgers (Milan Milan Milan, ;
-F.C.F. (Samurai, Bad Desire);
-The Big Brother (L.A. Time, Wild Reputation);
-Norma Sheffield (Your Body Lies, Sometimes);
-D.Essex (Music Forever, Burning Love);
-etc.
-etc.

Well, actually anything that is non-Initial D, non-ParaPara, non-DDR or otherwise well known. In general: songs from 'old' Eurobeat albums up to approximately SEB 100, the good old TIME days and the real golden ages of A-Beat-C.

Anyone?
I'm on the Road Again - Powerful T.

CheeseCake! Studio
Toni Productions

Currently working on: Mega NRG Team 3

Densetsu13
Eurobeat Master

Post by Densetsu13 » 10 Jan 2007, 07:25

zoupzuop2 wrote:Right. I know that Forever Young has a Parapara routine. MOST Eurobeat songs have Parapara routines, at least, to my knowledge. HOWEVER! That doesn't mean that Forever Young's seeming PURPOSE, for lack of a better word, is simply Parapara. One would venture that it's MORESO focused (albeit, admittedly, NOT totally so) on a "car driving/racing" facet or atmosphere. Bandolero Comanchero has a Parapara Routine (one that I rather like), and lends itself to Parapara more, maybe, than it would to, say, racing or driving of cars.

...maybe I'm not 'getting it' myself.
No, I can totally understand what you mean. We do have songs called Para Para Girl and Go Racing Go after all ;P

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 26 Jan 2007, 02:01

redtarzanboi wrote: Rock Eurobeat aka Electrorock - A mix of heavy hard rock guitars with a metal-like bassline.

Examples: Spock - The Fire's On Me
Mickey B. - Take Me Baby
Go 2 - Looka Bomba
More examples : Matt Land - Here I Am, Dave Rodgers Feat. Kiko Loureiro - Ring Of Fire, Spock - Enter Sandman, Dave - Pride, Dave Rodgers - Eldorado, Stephy Martini - Mad Desire (just a little xD), Dark Angels - Right Now, Dave Simon - Speed Man... that's all I could think of.
drnrg wrote:HRG Attack = CHOATIC
Meaning uses all the basic elements of a Eurobeat song, but in a warped sense. (this is in no way a bad thing, but rather great!)
More examples :
Cindy - Pun Pun Beam (I must say that this one is really like A LOVELY REVOLUTIONNNNNNNNN!!!!!)
Nick Mansell - Burn Me Up
Alvin - Domino
Alvin - Dream Of You
The Factory Team - Gun Boy
Nuage - Shine
Fastway - Go Racin' Go!
Fastway - Shock Out
Neo - Midnight Love (How could I almost forgot this one? :wink:)
Pamsy - Once Upon A Time
Manuel - Countdown To Destination
Barbie - Para Para Girl
Go 2 - Power
Dana - I'm OK
Jeff Driller - Super Guts (Oh yeah 8) )
Lupin - Black UFO
Lupin - Black Cat
Kevin & Cherry - Chemical Love
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 26 Jan 2007, 13:40

How about good eurobeat and bad eurobeat XD;

How about hyper eurobeat? Stuff that's close to Hyper Techno, like Go!Rocky Joe. :O

And no, not Hyper Eurobeat from DDR ;P