Would appriciate some VERY idiot-friendly advice with FL.St

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
NicholasRool
Bad Bad Bad

Would appriciate some VERY idiot-friendly advice with FL.St

Post by NicholasRool » 29 Mar 2012, 20:00

So, much like lots of others here, I'm looking to try get into Eurobeat creation and possibly make some stuff.

Whilst I have a basic knowledge of audio mixing and such I'm totally new to this Fruity Loops business and would really appreciate some help from the start.

I've been going through the forum reading several posts and help topics and what I've gathered so far is that I need some kind of sample bank with all the sounds I'll need in order to make something that somewhat resembles Eurobeat, as the default ones from FL are kinda naff.

I'll have a look around but any advice on where to go from there, simple techniques or hints to do with construction or the program itself or even where to find some good sample banks (I do apologise if I'm calling them the wrong name) would be really really appreciated.

Thank you!

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Re: Would appriciate some VERY idiot-friendly advice with FL

Post by Mindsweeper » 31 Mar 2012, 02:46

You're definitely going to want to get more drum samples. The stock kicks/hats/etc that FL comes with are pretty terrible. :P I have some years of FL experience but I've never really made eurobeat, so I don't know how much I can help.

Akira
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Akira » 31 Mar 2012, 14:11

Maybe you're interested in the Eurobeat Sound Library. I think some users here bought it, maybe they can explain you if it's worth buying.

I've been trying to make eurobeat for half a year and have used mainly trance and dance synths playing higher melodies. Eurobeat music is very fast, so tempo should be between 150-160 bpm. Also, about the rhythm, I'd say just what Mindsweeper has said: Get more drum samples. I've used dance/house percussion and it worked.

Also I'd recommend you to start by experimenting and watching dozens of tutorials on youtube. It doesn't matter if they're not talking about eurobeat (there are no eurobeat tutorials) but you'll learn some techniques which you may use in eurobeat.

But I think that the most important thing to do is to 'analize' eurobeat music. Each label has a different eurobeat formula, and you'll need to know what do you like the most from each one of them to mix them up in your productions.

Hope it helped, I don't know too much.

NicholasRool
Bad Bad Bad

Post by NicholasRool » 31 Mar 2012, 19:26

Thank you both for your replies. :D

I've been looking at all sorts of Eurobeat and FL tutorials on Youtube, and like you said, there isn't one true style of Eurobeat but that's pretty obvious, but what I have found is that you can either have really original and different styles or the more bland and "heard it before" kind of styles, so to speak.

I read about the Eurobeat Sample pack thing here on the forum, and as much as I'd like to buy it I'm currently kinda broke, but I'm considering putting some aside if I can first establish the fact I can not only create but also finish a track in FL before I jump into things.

Again, thanks for your help, any further help would be more than happily appreciated :D

Akira
Eurobeat Fan

Post by Akira » 31 Mar 2012, 20:40

I'd also tell you to start with remixes (you can get acapellas easily if you google it) so you don't 'loose time' composing and can practise more. Acapellas4u is a good acapella website, but you've got a limited number of downloads.

And, being honest, eurobeat is a very hard genre to start with. I'd consider making other genres (I started with trance) until you feel confident with the program. But it's up to you.

NicholasRool
Bad Bad Bad

Post by NicholasRool » 31 Mar 2012, 22:42

Well I'm big on Drum n' Bass, and well, many other Genres, I guess something I just think sounds good as I go would be a better way to get to grips with it, and thanks for the website, gonna check it out :)

Mindsweeper
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Mindsweeper » 01 Apr 2012, 05:09

I think what makes eurobeat hard is that it's actually quite musically complex compared to a lot of other genres of electronic music. There's lots of layers of melody and harmony, and the chord progressions actually change! (what a concept :P) If you don't already understand music theory, you may want to look into it.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 01 Apr 2012, 10:34

Mindsweeper wrote:I think what makes eurobeat hard is that it's actually quite musically complex compared to a lot of other genres of electronic music. There's lots of layers of melody and harmony, and the chord progressions actually change! (what a concept :P) If you don't already understand music theory, you may want to look into it.
You don't need to copy the Avex style (style adopted by eurobeat teams especially for Avex, with added mix complexity). Such mix is often desliked by typical record producers because of too many elements to handle in a mix.

People may also try to produce british PWL hi nrg style which is a lot simpler in arranging. You can look it up on youtube as Peter Hammond Mix.

Other option is to try a general NRG sound, which is lower bpm typical eurobeat song and sounds but with a very stripped arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLc4TXT2t_s

Most important thing is to learn to stay away from eurodance,trance and techno sounds for most part and to develop a feel for the sounds of pure NRG/eurobeat.
Later on you may spice it up a bit with some mild trance cosmetics, but only after you already developed a semblance of authentic NRG or eurobeat soundworld.