Where do I begin? [Eurobeat novice looking for advice]

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
soikkam
Bad Bad Bad

Where do I begin? [Eurobeat novice looking for advice]

Post by soikkam » 27 Jul 2016, 14:50

Since last week, I've started to revisit my backlog of saved albums, compilations, and seasons of Initial D, and I've remembered my genuine love of this genre.

I'm a big fan of vocally-focused, melodic music genres such as power metal, classical singing, some forms of pop, and until now, I've had little trouble with creating my own additions for those genres until now.

I started searching online for video tutorials, and music theory editorials for various types of EDM, but I'd like to know what you all in the community did/used to learn.

I feel like I'm an above average singer, but I'm a novice composer, so I'm feeling a little lost when trying to enter Eurobeat.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also be open to collaborations with others in the community so that I can learn from veterans whilst I grow as a composer. I have no Eurobeat catalogue at all, but I do have some singles, an EP, and a full-length debut, so I'm no beginner when it comes to production, marketing, and recording.

Thanks

BlindedVanguard573
Eurocurious

Post by BlindedVanguard573 » 27 Jul 2016, 22:33

First of all, grab Synth1 and the Euro-Nam preset pack. These are invaluable to a beginner's eurobeat setup. You can use pretty much whatever EDM drums you want, as long as they aren't too deep or chunky (no dubstep drums or anything like that). You want a solid kick, a light closed hat, a striking open-hat and a crash; you can also use toms and snares for fills.

Second, at least how I do it, eurobeat songs should use:
Bass (constantly pounding every fourth note except where you want to let up on the tone of the song)
Closed hat (usually the first fourth and sixteenth note of a bar)
Open hat (every 8th note)
Crash (to accent)
Bass
Guitar
Synth brass (VERY IMPORTANT for obvious reasons: your riff is the defining factor of your song)
A stab of some sort (sometimes I use one layer of my synth brass instrument)
A pad of some sort for the background, be it strings, choir, or whatever
Synths for background melodies (these really make your track feel complete)

And finally, mastering presets are your friend. Use compression on whatever you think it will sound good on (I typically use it on most of my main instruments) and make sure you use a limiter on your synth brass so that chords sound the same volume as single notes. This is very important. Also, you may want to separate riff synth brass from verse/chorus synth brass (if you use it) by separate channels, making the brass during the verse/chorus quieter.

Hope this helps!
https://soundcloud.com/bvg_music
I post my eurobeat songs here!

KoolKool
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by KoolKool » 28 Jul 2016, 01:50

nah...easy!
pick up some of your favourite euro song, listen over and over again to analyze the structure
soundcloud.com/hainam-1

soikkam
Bad Bad Bad

Post by soikkam » 28 Jul 2016, 14:32

Thanks for the quick responses, they are very helpful!

I can't wait to get started, and hopefully have some good material to show for my first few tries.