Top 5 EB songs that could be played on mainstream radio?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
para_rigby
Euroheater

Top 5 EB songs that could be played on mainstream radio?

Post by para_rigby » 07 Nov 2016, 13:39

First off, this is not a discussion if eurobeat could/would/should be mainstreamed. We have had this one in the past. Some like the idea, some don't.

The purpose of this thread is for people to give their 5 songs they think could most likely be played on mainstream radio. Suggestions are a go!

Mine are in no particular order:
1. My Sweet Forever/ Pamsy
2. Bright Time/ Jay Lehr
3. What D'You Want From Me?/ Jager
4. Switch!/ Melissa White & Ace
5. Take My Soul/ Mickey B

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Re: Top 5 EB songs that could be played on mainstream radio?

Post by Lebon14 » 07 Nov 2016, 13:47

para_rigby wrote:3. What D'You Want From Me?/ Jager
Welp, there goes the only track that popped into my mind lol.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

Kat
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Kat » 07 Nov 2016, 14:01

1.Tasha / My Turn (Extended)
2.Anika / Crazy Lover
3.Leslie Parrish / Save Me
4.Cherry / Yes I Will
5.Molto Carina / Love For Sale

para_rigby
Euroheater

Re: Top 5 EB songs that could be played on mainstream radio?

Post by para_rigby » 07 Nov 2016, 14:45

Lebon14 wrote:
para_rigby wrote:3. What D'You Want From Me?/ Jager
Welp, there goes the only track that popped into my mind lol.
Great minds think alike!

M2-EB
Eurobeat Master

Post by M2-EB » 07 Nov 2016, 15:19

Talking about recent eurobeat… it could totally happen haha. I'm sorry I can't get specific songs :o

01. Almost every female track by Boom Boom Beat
02. Any SCP song (but Hotblade, Ace, Go 2, Fastway)
03. Most Lolita/Leo River/Kaioh songs
04. Some Tora/Ana/Les/Ultraviolet/Stephy (Martini) songs
05. Honorable mention for Manuel/Powerful T./Dave Rodgers (guess they'd rock on metal/indie radio - pun intended)

#Infinity
Euroheater

Post by #Infinity » 07 Nov 2016, 16:58

Well, first off, this depends heavily on the era you're referring to. In fact, just about ANY eurobeat from the italo age would have fit in easily with the SAW era of the late 1980s, during which stuff like "Touch Me (I Want to Feel Your Body)," "I Should Be So Lucky," and "Never Gonna Give You Up" achieved chart success everywhere, even the United States. Heck, Bananarama's "I Heard a Rumour" is a direct ripoff of Michael Fortunati's "Give Me Up."

Going strictly by modern eurobeat, well beyond the age of interlap, I would probably say these, off the top of my head:

1. Flash & Love / Momo
2. I Won't Fall Apart / Jager
3. Fly Away / Kimmy
4. Emotions / Stephy Martini
5. From Heartache to Heaven / Momo

Two important factors, I think, are one, the vocalist, and two, the cheesiness of the production. Super high-pitched/Japan-centric or Engrishy vocalists do NOT fly by mainstream audiences except for laughs. As much as I know a lot of us here love Ace, I distinctly remember showing his cover of Elliott Yamin's "Wait for You" to somebody, and he thought the vocals absolutely butchered the piece, probably because Codenotti's accent is super thick, a lot more so than Momo or Clara Moroni's, for example. Elena Gobbi is also one of the most popular vocalist among hardcore fans of eurobeat, but that's probably because her naturally sqeaky and giddy voice suits the genre's Japanese/Japanophile target demographic; everybody else is likely to dismiss her as some helium-induced chipmunk or something.

Production is also a significant issue to consider. While popular music has gotten progressively more electronic, eurobeat's customary rapiddire, sqeaky-high instruments are most likely cheese overload for those who are more used to something tamer. Conversely, a lot of the guitar-driven, masculine eurobeat songs are likely to be labelled cheesy for different reasons - that they're basically sort of in line with all the hair metal bands of the 1980s, only far...well...gayer, due to the electronic/dance elements intermixed with the loud, in-your-face melodies.

The songs I went with are based on the fact that not only do they have relatively subdued/non-cheesy production, the vocalists also have what seems like more of an appeal for western audiences. I know one person who listens primarily to hip hop and generally dislikes eurobeat, but actually admitted to Jager seeming like a pretty great artist. Momo's songs, or at least the ones I suggested, not only have pretty balanced, conservative instrumentation, they're very much written like actual pop songs, similar to Jager, as opposed to the 80s caricatures and rapidfire Japanense-style tunes usually associated with eurobeat. Stephy Martini admittedly has a heavier accent than Momo and Jager, but she also has a powerful enough voice and, in the case of "Emotions," an accesible enough song that I think that track of hers in particular could still find a non-cult audience.

In all honesty, I really don't think any of the songs I listed above would stand a chance at mainstream popularity outside of the period of 1997-2013, as music nowadays is SUPER homogenous and predominantly just trap or other SLOW, not-so-upbeat styles of music. However, it's POSSIBLE they could've achieved some legitimate chart success during and near the 2000s decade, especially in Europe, a region that was much more welcoming of fast, bubbly electronic pop-dance songs than the United States (excluding the electropop age of the early 2010s, when that kind of pop was big in both regions).
Last edited by #Infinity on 17 Dec 2016, 21:09, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImage

djtt
Euro To B

Post by djtt » 07 Nov 2016, 19:27

If you listen to Emotions, that song got more of a pop production anyway. It's got what sounds like acoustic rock drums mixed in with the Electronic kick, and guitars, and more of a pop rock kind of feel than many other eurobeat songs. I could imagine it would've been quite popular here in Sweden in about 2004 or so, when Max Martin wrote pop rocky sounding songs for artists like Kelly Clarkson and Pink, songs like "Since you've been gone".

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 08 Nov 2016, 04:58

Like #Infinity said it depends on the era. had it been the 80s and the songs were slower in BPMs, quite a few would be played in mainstream, but I've always been against mainstream and especially today's cookie cutter EDM pop crap music; so no; I would never want to hear my favorite Eurobeat songs on Manistream radio; in between the likes of Justin Gerber, Captain Laserbeam or Twenty One Poptarts. Fuck that!:evil:

'nuff said.

xiao
Euroheater

Post by xiao » 08 Nov 2016, 07:17

Last edited by xiao on 02 Jan 2018, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
🪐

magiblot
Eurocurious

Post by magiblot » 08 Nov 2016, 17:57

I don't know what mainstream radios are like in your countries, so thinking of how they are in my place:

1. Speedmaster feat. Angelica - Heartbeat Song (Because it's better than the original version, and yet the original version was aired).
2. Pamsy - All Over Me
3. David Dima - With a Little Bit of True Love
4. Mela - Just a Love Story
5. Kaioh & Leo River - Gimme Your Desire

I haven't included, but of course I have thought of, Jager's What D'You Want From Me, Because Of You and Fly Magic.

My criteria is: those songs that are less likely to cause displeasure because of their differences with the sounds or styles people are used to.

In my opinion, they would be easily enjoyed and would problaby become popular or well-known. That's why I hate when they are not being aired (this is, always).

There is an Eurodance section in a very listened radio from here. I thought of messaging them to tell them about Eurobeat, because if they enjoy Eurodance from the old days, they should enjoy many Eurobeat songs as well.
But I haven't gathered courage enough yet to do it :P.
Maybe you have some good suggestions for the list of songs I could advise them to check out if I ever do.