Am I on the right track?

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
Kangaroo
Bad Bad Bad

Am I on the right track?

Post by Kangaroo » 23 Nov 2016, 20:17

I've been trying to learn Eurobeat for ages. Haven't made one complete song. Just wanted to know if I'm on the right track with this WIP, if anyone can give some advice about what I'm missing, that'd be great.

https://soundcloud.com/user-986341331/untitled/s-rw9u8

I'm using mostly the euro-nam pack by KoolKool.

I have the lead synth, bass, an arp thing which is like a pluck very quiet in the background to try and fill it out, and percussion. I'm not sure how to go about pads, or if I even need pads, because when I put them it it seems like they make the song very soft/smooth which I think is not really good for eurobeat?

HikariPL
Euro To B

Post by HikariPL » 23 Nov 2016, 21:27

You are on right track!
You should create one complete song, just so we can have better point of view on Your tracks.
I think You should lower the volume of bass (or change it to different, saw/square like one).
I would consider replacing kick for softer/clicky one with less bass.
Work on rythm at the end of this riff, other than that it's pretty good.
For verse - simple kick, bass, pads/strings layout.
Next for chorus use edited layout of verse, You might add something else there (for example this pluck that You have).

Eurobeat song can be very soft/smooth!
For example Odyssey's "Rose" is like that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVTR7pTQ9yA

If You think something will sound good just go for it!
Experimentation and recreation of Your favourite songs in the key to Eurobeat!

Kangaroo
Bad Bad Bad

Post by Kangaroo » 25 Nov 2016, 17:18

Thanks so much! I'm making some changes and building off what I had, changed the bass and kicks like you said and it sounds so much better. Much appreciated

Gabriel C Media
Euro To B

Post by Gabriel C Media » 25 Nov 2016, 22:18

To answer your question about pads, yes! string pads are usually the right way to go with Eurobeat. You don't have to have them playing all the time; you can have them very quiet on certain portions, or just use the Arps and other things to help create a sense of movement until you bring them back in. Focusing on them can also be a good break from the action, like with most genres :).

Keep it up! c: