speed

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

speed

Post by newfield » 11 Sep 2005, 20:48

Seems eurobeat is moving to high speed over 160 with saifam and Nrg attack...new trend? what do you think about it?

Jion

Post by Jion » 11 Sep 2005, 21:36

I can only handle it so much. Sometimes I find myself going back to the slower new stuff from SCP and Delta more than the enjoying the newer faster stuff from HRG. I think it works for SAIFAM and Vibration because of the style that they use but for HRG, I really wish they would go to their stuff from way back when, when the female singers actually sounded like women, not squeek toys. In other words, I'm more of a fan of the 130 to 150 bpm range than 150 and up though it depends on who its from.
You can hate me but you know you have quality issues =p

Pol NRG
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Pol NRG » 11 Sep 2005, 21:44

Dear friend,

Just today, I have said in other forum:

In my taste, ...more slow tempo (BPMs), more better Eurobeat productions. To me the golden years of Eurobeat have two periods; early in the 90s, when you and Clara worked by Time, when Bratt worked by ABeat-C, ..a golden years with masterpieces, such as:

- Max Coveri - Come back LISTEN TO IT!
- David R. Jones - More than a Dream LISTEN TO IT!
- Phil & Stan - I need your love tonight LISTEN TO IT!
- Phil & Stan - Time after Time LISTEN TO IT!
- Robert Camero - Lady surprise LISTEN TO IT!
- Big Band - Turn off the Light :wink:
- Casanova - Lost in the Time
- Doctor Love - Romance
- David Essex - Victim of Love
- Sophie - Stop the music
- Molto Carina - One More Night LISTEN TO IT!
- Mc Brian - Loving you forever
- Vanessa - Why did you say I'm sorry
- Vanessa - Breaking my heart
- Virgin - Only You LISTEN TO IT!

etc.. etc.. etc..

..and also late in the 90s, ..in 1996, when Delta was born; ..you, Clara and Andrea, improved again the Eurobeat sound with really beautiful compositions.
I still save the first e-mail of Andrea :wink: and please pay attention, he told me:

"I understand that your favorite Hi-energy-Eurobeat style is the "soft/romantic" one which is extremely important in the "image" that people has of Delta!.. even if it's just a part of it."

Faster songs up to 160 are incompatible with it. I'm not an expert in music but I think the music is like the mathematics, it have a "guidelines":

1] Slowest songs:
No problem, it's accepted by the guidelines that the music are made. Just remember your first work at Time Records... Virgin - Tell me why :wink: ....only 92 BPMs!

2] Faster songs:
A faster song have a limit, if forces it... if revolutionize it too much... it unsquares, the melody is broken. I'm sorry to me 160BPMs is crazy.. really annoying to hear it. SAIFAM and Hi-Nrg attack are mistaken!
:roll:

Here's my two cents...

All the best!
Pol NRG (Clara Fan) :wink:
Last edited by Pol NRG on 12 Sep 2005, 07:41, edited 17 times in total.
"Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best."

Jion

Post by Jion » 11 Sep 2005, 21:57

I agree with you so much Pol. The faster it is, the less impactful it seems. I love the serious stuff (though thats not to say that I'm not a fan of some sillyness).

Victor
Euro To B

Post by Victor » 11 Sep 2005, 22:28

I agree with Redtarzanboi and Pol's taste.

Pol is like me and is a bit of a Eurobeat grandad.

But, I think that Newfield is running a business therefore he must cater to the market.

The people who buy current Eurobeat seem to be mostly young people who are into anime, Play Station etc.

I can't stand anime, Play Station or Eurobeat which is too fast.

I also don't go to discos and do para para.

So I listen to old stuff.
:shock:

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 11 Sep 2005, 22:35

A kind of a double-edged blade. I myself am a fan of the way speedier Eurobeat in general than the slowed down pace that was the 150s. But what was said earlier about slower songs having more of a punch in a certain way, that is also true. I'd probably myself prefer having the vast majority of album content as fast with a spice of slower songs in the mix, but over all keep Eurobeat as eurobeat and if you want pop go buy a Britney Spears album.

Jayveemon

Post by Jayveemon » 11 Sep 2005, 23:51

Well for Speed from Saifam from Saifam too me seems to be sort of a blend between happy hardcore and eurodance (and now eurotrance), as for the new eurobeat tracks from Saifam, I feel they try to make the speed of the song be appropriate for the synth that they used, unlike Hi NRG Attack which has a one synth for all which doesnt fit for all their songs. LED's speed is really nothing more than sped up eurobeat. Now a song doesn't have to be real slow to be a more serious type song, I mean Changes is definitely more serious than most LED songs and is still the usual 160BPM. I mean the old stuff is ok, but we can't stop living in the past and be so unwelcoming of change now I am not saying we should only be listening to the faster stuff either. The newer faster eurobeat helps keep variety in the genre, if everything was slow then the newer and younger generation that is getting into eurobeat would get bored very quickly.

aXu
The Sidekick

Post by aXu » 12 Sep 2005, 00:31

Hmm.. i like faster and powerful stuff. Usually i don't care too much for Nrg Attacks songs, there are few good ones of course. Saifams style hits me, so i wouldn't mind if SEB-series was going back to speedier/powerful-style again.

For example from Delta's stuff, Hai Hai Hai is my alltime favorite, nothing can change that, same goes for Dark Angels Right Now.

Btw. Mr. Newfield will we see Dark Angels ever again?
Cybersex is on the line, I'm still running in the nineties

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 12 Sep 2005, 01:10

I think I'm mostly with Pol on this for sure.

I tend to go for the older songs; D-Essex - Victim Of Love, for one, is a great song! I love it. A great demonstration of slower (and older) Eurobeat at its best! The newer and faster songs are good, but to address the actual question asked, I like Eurobeat fast, but not over-whelmingly so. If I were the people working at Delta, I'd keep it 140-150 BPM; not any higher.
I, for one, am not a huge fan of High-NRG Attack (they do have their good songs though!), and some of SCP's music just doesn't strike me as great because of the avid need to increase the speed.
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

Jion

Post by Jion » 12 Sep 2005, 06:28

I think the common message here is that Eurobeat should have a variety. Too much is sounding too similar with or without speed. While I'm a fan of the slower stuff since it's easier to dance to (and I don't mean parapara dance but actual club dancing) some of LEDs and SAIFAM's stuff is golden. I think the common message here too is that HRG needs to either slow their stuff down or make it work a little better by offering something new. They've shown over the years that they're a great label and are capable of many great things. It's time we saw some more of their magic!

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

speed

Post by newfield » 12 Sep 2005, 08:30

Thanks 4 your comments,I really appreciate.

from the producing side I can see 3 styles:

the slow stuff around 130 bpm,"don't say goodbye" "victim" (victim lyrics are so good coz clara had a quarrel with boyfriend just before writing,it's true story!).
The composing process starts from the piano.
There is a speed limit due to the arrange,infact the bassline,the first thing I put down, is the lead instrument and is similar to a real bass playing.The song sounds good only drums&bass&vocals as in pwl songs.

the pop stuff around 150 bpm
standard Delta songs.Pop songs you can play on guitar. Avex released some acustic versions as bonus tracks about 2 years ago.
Songs by Kevin Johnson,Cherry, where vocals are the focus point,the arrange is not so important coz it's popmusic.

the energy stuff up to 160 and more..
the roots are very deep.Patrick Cowley,Bobby O,Dead or alive.
Hard songs very limited on the harmony side,maybe 3 chords only.Hypnotic sequencers forerunners of the trance music,sex oriented lyrics.Good vocalist needed. The arrange is very important and must have a strong impact on the listener.
Inspiration for:
boom boom dollars
heartbreaker
Dr Love
Oda
Spiderman

when I'm not happy with the song I'm working on,I give it the "DOA treatment":cowbell+claps+sinths gimmick a la youspinmeround...and it works.Always!!

This kind of style need fast speed,Spiderman by saifam reach 167 ,very hard style,but I like it.The phrase line needs high speed and the vocals sounds great.I'm trying to imagine Mauro,now he must be 49-50,behind the mike.He's great! The GrandMaster of Eurobeat.

Avex still tring to get the new kids into eurobeat and I think the only way is to go with hardstyle elements keeping the good melodies.
Maybe future will be only 2 styles,pwl pop songs to listen thru the years and hardstyle songs as fast food tunes.

Pol NRG
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Pol NRG » 12 Sep 2005, 12:59

Hi Laurent,

Very interesting post, ..as usual. :) I suggest you to follow the line of productions like "don't say goodbye" 130BPMs :wink: ..but at least AVEX have the final word. I'm listening just now "victim" and I can feel the sad voice of Clara, :( I don't like to see our Clara sad... :( please tell to her that don't worry, always she will have friends like you and me... we have her in our hearts! :oops: I have sent an e-mail to Clara right now...

Talking about the future productions I think that will be great if Delta publish a project like:

Heaven - Eurobeat Meets Healing Style
Listen to it in AMAZON, in the link of above... specially the track 7 I love it...
:roll:

4 years ago, AVEX lauched this compilation of classic ABeat-C songs in "New Age" style, at almost acapella! ...very pleasant, ...very relaxing ..it's something really different and original.

All the best!
Pol :wink:
"Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best."

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Re: speed

Post by Mikaeru » 12 Sep 2005, 15:03

I don't know. I'm still a fan of the faster songs. Probably because I first got introduced to eurobeat through the Dancemania Speed series. I'm just one of those who listen to eurobeat FOR the really energetic songs, the ones that really stick in your head. The slower ones can be nice, but, if I wanted that, I wouldn't be listening to SEB, there's an abundance of it over here.

I *really* disagree this though:
newfield wrote:Maybe future will be only 2 styles,pwl pop songs to listen thru the years and hardstyle songs as fast food tunes.
Again, it could be just me, but the slower songs are more forgettable. I usually love most of the Kevin Johnson songs, but Don't Say Goodbye, the only line I can really recall is when he sings the title. Same with Queen 26's Going Crazy. The faster songs are the ones that give me a better impact when listening to them. My "golden age of eurobeat" is the earlier Euromach years.

It is nice to throw in a slower song now and then to see what can be done with it, but they run the risk of losing a lot of the elements that make them eurobeat *coughQueen26cough*.

taQ
Eurobeat Master

Post by taQ » 12 Sep 2005, 21:30

I also must say I like every speed and every label in eurobeat. However, since I became interested in eurobeat through parapara (I hope to be as knowledgable in eurobeat information as much as i'm knowledgable in parapara), I do like fast songs. When Emotions was released on SEB 153, did anyone think they would make a parapara for it? I was very glad to see that, but I tend to speed up Emotions for dancing purposes. I also do the same with older songs, and some recent ones (Fire on the Beat, Dance into your Fire, etc) even though they aren't necessarily slow, it's because they're danced better when sped up.

Rave Dodgers
Euro To B

Re: speed

Post by Rave Dodgers » 13 Sep 2005, 01:40

I was a speed fan before Eurobeat, so I have no problem with the trend.

As for Saifam, their speed is not really eurobeat to me. It's been around as dance-speed covers (Toshiba EMI Dancemania) and sounds great as that, but it is clearly identifable as such, even when they try to resemble eurobeat.