LGBT Acceptance

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Megan188
Bazooka Bellydancer

LGBT Acceptance

Post by Megan188 » 22 Oct 2010, 05:52

Hey you guys. This probably sounds like a pretty weird topic, but I was thinking about acceptance of LGBT rights as they pertain to countries outside the United States, and I kind of read that support is rather mediocre in both Italy and Japan. The former doesn't surprise me, considering that's where the hub of Catholicism is, but the latter got me a particularly worried.

The reason I bring this up is because I was kind curious about how LGBT-related issues are perceived by eurobeat producers and fans. I know that a lot of eurobeat listeners are gay, and there are a few eurobeat songs with gay themes in them (mainly ones from Hi-NRG Attack), but I was still a little discerned after finding out the disappointing facts about LGBT rights in Japan. I care because I want to be somehow involved with the Japanese music scene in the future, and since I'm a sexual minority, I don't know how much I'd be accepted into that sort of community.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 22 Oct 2010, 06:39

Megan188
I know that a lot of eurobeat listeners are gay, and there are a few eurobeat songs with gay themes in them (mainly ones from Hi-NRG Attack),
What? I must not be paying too much attention to the lyrics :???:

WNight
Euroheater

Re: LGBT Acceptance

Post by WNight » 22 Oct 2010, 07:00

Megan188 wrote:Hey you guys. This probably sounds like a pretty weird topic, but I was thinking about acceptance of LGBT rights as they pertain to countries outside the United States, and I kind of read that support is rather mediocre in both Italy and Japan. The former doesn't surprise me, considering that's where the hub of Catholicism is, but the latter got me a particularly worried.

The reason I bring this up is because I was kind curious about how LGBT-related issues are perceived by eurobeat producers and fans. I know that a lot of eurobeat listeners are gay, and there are a few eurobeat songs with gay themes in them (mainly ones from Hi-NRG Attack), but I was still a little discerned after finding out the disappointing facts about LGBT rights in Japan. I care because I want to be somehow involved with the Japanese music scene in the future, and since I'm a sexual minority, I don't know how much I'd be accepted into that sort of community.
How exactly do you want to get involved ? Eurobeat ?

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 22 Oct 2010, 07:27

Megan188 wrote:Hey you guys. This probably sounds like a pretty weird topic, but I was thinking about acceptance of LGBT rights as they pertain to countries outside the United States, and I kind of read that support is rather mediocre in both Italy and Japan. The former doesn't surprise me, considering that's where the hub of Catholicism is, but the latter got me a particularly worried.

How would you like to be a part of the music scene? Producer, songwriter, performer? Eurobeat, Hyper Techno, J-Pop? I'd think that as long as the music is good the focus on the creator's sexual orientation isn't all that strong. I know that SAIFAM puts out gay-dance* compilations ("Let's Hear it for the Boy", which occasionally stashes Eurobeat into it), and while I haven't caught the homosexual themes in HRG I wouldn't be surprised if there were, not just in HRG but in other labels' work(s).

Long story short, do what you're going to do, ultimately your average fan cares less about sexual orientation so much as the performance and production. I'm personally not homosexual but I doubt my listener base would be significantly higher or lower if I was.

*-not meant in a homophobic context. This term would refer to dance music created specifically for consumption amongst the lgbt community.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

Jay
God of Romance

Post by Jay » 22 Oct 2010, 10:07

First of all, I'm somewhat confused as to why you would even want to try to break into or support this industry in Japan knowing their stance towards the LGBT community... I'll presume you have a good reason and/or great interest in the Japanese music culture, so let's just go with that.

If you just want to break into the Japanese music scene, why would you want to tell everybody about your sexuality if you know that it's going to encumber you? This is probably not the answer you hoped for, but if the Japanese music scene is as intolerant towards homosexuals as you claim it is, I think it's best to hide it. If you're seriously that worried, don't tell anybody. That's the easy solution, but probably not the most ideal.

But, from what I gather from your first post, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you're intending to make LGBT themes very prominent in whatever work you intend to do... If this is the case, being explicit about these LGBT themes is a no-no. It's far better to try to 'sneak' these themes into your work somehow, which is probably the only way it'll be approved in Japan. If you haven't noticed, eurobeat tends to sneak these themes in as opposed to making them explicit. (NB. SAIFAM doesn't count in my book. I'm fairly sure the compilations they release with strong LGBT themes aren't marketed towards a Japanese audience, but correct me if I'm wrong.)

Either way, if this is what you plan on doing, that's my advice. Try to do what Jane Austen did with her pro-feminist ideas in Northanger Abbey and soften your more 'radical' message. That way, the wider community will be far more receptive to your work and the LGBT community will still appreciate your more subversive messages. The only problem you'll face is finding a label or company who'll support your work. In any case, all the power to you.

thejti
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by thejti » 22 Oct 2010, 14:27

zoupzuop2 wrote:
Megan188 wrote:*-not meant in a homophobic context. This term would refer to dance music created specifically for consumption amongst the lgbt community.
As a gay man, trust me that wasn't offensive lol... There is a genre that's semi considered gay-dance. I guess it's more of the anthemic club music.

As for the topic: I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say. Linking the music of Eurobeat and Japanese culture to gay rights and acceptance seem to be two different things. Are there gay-theme sounding lyrics? Yes, but if you're more concerned about homosexual rights in Italy and Japan, you should probably look at individuals who live in those countries more and ignore linking it to the music. Just seems like a topic not really suited for the forum (even though there is a huge population of gay Eurobeat fans).

@DrNRG: Well considering many people use the word bazooka to refer to a certain part of their body... You can see the implications when someone keeps talking about their "bazooka" lol...
Stop City Lover Can't You Break My Style?

WNight
Euroheater

Post by WNight » 22 Oct 2010, 15:53

You really have to define how you wish to get involved because there are many ways to look at things here. Generally speaking, I'd say that you're pretty much in for some tough times if you decide to openly declare yourself a homosexual to the masses and it's even worse if you're a homosexual gaijin. Then again, things are different if you're a native japanese idol celebrity.

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 22 Oct 2010, 17:28

drnrg wrote:Megan188
I know that a lot of eurobeat listeners are gay, and there are a few eurobeat songs with gay themes in them (mainly ones from Hi-NRG Attack),
What? I must not be paying too much attention to the lyrics :???:
Not HRG, but off the top of my head are Mako - In the Stars, and Mark & Ken - Hey You Boy.

Tiger
Master of Time

Post by Tiger » 22 Oct 2010, 17:42

I think he's talking about Street Boy / Harry Ken and maybe Jingle Jungle Boy??

Also Megan, you talk about rights, so I'm assuming you're talking about marriage, civil unions, or couples rights? By your post, I feel your insecurity about LGBT issues internationally, but I don't understand why it has to be such a big deal. After all, isn't it all about the money :P (j/k)

I don't understand what the eurobeat producers have to do with anything in this either. I don't think they care if you're straight or gay.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 22 Oct 2010, 18:57

Tiger
I think he's talking about Street Boy / Harry Ken and maybe Jingle Jungle Boy??
thejti
@DrNRG: Well considering many people use the word bazooka to refer to a certain part of their body... You can see the implications when someone keeps talking about their "bazooka" lol..

I always concidered HRG to be a bit daring and someTIMES straight out dirty with thier lyrics ex; Feel My Body and MY "Hole", Lucy Loose Pussy, but I always thought the zooking in the Bazooka songs was done by a woman :wink:

Now Asia is another story. I thinked they boomed when many gay people were finding acceptance thru the Anthemic club/Hi Energy music of the 80s. One way I relate gay overtones to Saifam is the whole Falsetto style Farina would use in songs by Lillac and Boys Boys Boys. This was probobly do to the popularity of Jimmy Summerville. Pasquinni did it a few x too with his James Cooler and T. Boy aliases.

What killed me was that TIME took one of the most celebrated melodies in the gay community;"Small Town Boy/Sound Of My Heart" and turned it macho style by giving it to Gino Caria :D Now thier covers were very homophobic.

I can't think of any gay Eurobeat artists of the moment , but Pete Burns from Dead Or Alive is probobly the best example of a popular transgender musical artist who who is huge in Japan. The more he transgends, the more iconic he becomes.

Musical preferences in the industry are really a double sided sword. You will be ok as long as you come into the genre as you are and not pretending to be someone else. The industry usually only turns thier back on you if you decide to "Come out of the closet" later down the road. I don't know know why, but this has always been the case. Ex; George Michael, Ricky Martin ect... So, Anyway for the topic at hand; I agree that you should just do what your heart desires and not rack your head about the acceptance thing too much. In the end, if your work is good, I seriously doubt that any Eurobeat label would reject you.

If you still have doubts about the whole LGBT rights in Japan, maybe you should check out Beyond Common Sense: Sexuality and Gender in Contemporary Japan by Wim Lunsing. It's said to cover that whole issue exstensively.

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 22 Oct 2010, 21:33

Is this it :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

Because... I don't know how the fuck it relates to Eurobeat...
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

DarkSky
Euroheater

Post by DarkSky » 22 Oct 2010, 22:07

I don't even know what this whole thread is about.

Will154
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Will154 » 23 Oct 2010, 00:42

DarkSky wrote:I don't even know what this whole thread is about.
It's about how you represented Dima Music some time ago by saying that gay stuff and parapara was going to kill eurobeat at some point.

no but seriously , i think LGBT acceptance and eurobeat isn't a big issue here. Not a lot of the italian eurobeat producers are homosexual , almost inexistent ,but i know some are in the J-Euro community but just won't say it because they don't want their sexual orientation to have to do with the music they make..
Some eurobeat club events in japan are entirely ''men only'' or even ''gay only''.. like ParapaRush or a.c.e just to name a few. And they haven't got closed down or anything :P
But anyways , I don't think the japanese fans are that sneaky and would want to know everything about your sexual orientation x) Its not an issue from the young people of Japan mostly...

Justican
Euro To B

Post by Justican » 23 Oct 2010, 01:12

Not much related to this topic but Im sure you all know about this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaki_Sumitani

He even released a single though SAIFAM, I think, YMCA cover.

Anyway, considering what we know about the private lives of Eurobeat producers, songwriters and singers, there are more boundrys then just LGBT stances in certain countrys. Theres also your recoding studio bosses, and the bosses of the publishers that have to go though what you do. Everything is so closely monitored so the Eurobeat Producers, Songwriters and Singers dont really get to flaunt there private lives, even if it would get sales, because its not them who make these decisions. If you ended up in the industry and had a cleaver martketing idea, then get your boss to approve it then get there peers to appove it, then It may go ahead.

However, like many have already pointed out, its not really anything to do with sexuallity, its about making the music and making an industry out of it. If it comes out before making it big, its only the fans that would know and there not the ones who would try to stop your music because of your sexuality. If there is sexual content is in your music, its in english. In Japan, its hardly regulated and not really looked into. If it was a japanese song about homosexual love, it could be a differant story, but we shall see if it ever comes into the light.

sonique
Eurocurious

Post by sonique » 23 Oct 2010, 01:56

Will154 wrote:i know some are in the J-Euro community but just won't say it because they don't want their sexual orientation to have to do with the music they make..
That's exactly one of the reasons why the gay youth sometimes feels so lonely, powerless, desperate and isolated. I understand Justician's explanation, that the eurobeat market is different and that there are "rules" to be followed if success is wanted, but still think it's sad. Established artist wouldn't harm anyone if they came out. My wish would be songs like BOY meets BOY by TRF or Girls & Girls by AYU. Just to show some respect to the gay & lesbian buyers of their music.