home recording

Discussion about Eurobeat making. Hints & Tips, Eurobeat projects, programs, plug-ins, samples and so on.
newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

home recording

Post by newfield » 07 Oct 2005, 17:12

got a computer and want to make music?

if you need a cheap and good recordind system check this gear:
http://www.presonus.com/inspire1394.html

you get an audio interface and a Cubase LE software for very low price,plug-ins and audio samples included!

I will answer to all your questions about music recording...just ask!!

Chico Chico
Bazooka Bellydancer

Post by Chico Chico » 07 Oct 2005, 18:52

I've heard of this... It's suppose to be very good to use! :) Have to check it out some more!

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 07 Oct 2005, 20:19

Questions, eh?

What would you recommend for studio monitors? This is the one thing I really have no clue about. I'm debating getting a set of NS-10s (go, shrill box!) off of eBay, but would I be better off getting something else?

What mixer would you recommend? I'm looking at a Behringer Eurorack, but I'm not sure which model to get. Right now, I'm using a Yamaha keyboard with some onboard sounds I like, a MicroQ, and I plan to use all 3 available outputs once I get a mixer, a mic (not sure about a second one just yet), and softsynths on the compy, making at least six channels needed so far, and, of course, I want to be able to expand easily (once I get the basics, I want to get more synth modules, and probably a good harmonizer/pitch corrector, and possibly hook up a second compy with V-Stack). There's also the MX9000, but I'm not sure if it's "too much" mixer, although I like the onboard frequency analysis.

What *is* something good for realtime frequency analysis? I haven't really done much with EQ yet, because I'm not sure where on the spectrum the sounds are, and I'm worried I'd just be muddling them even more.

What would you recommend for pitch correction? As you can probably tell from a couple of the songs I posted, I do NOT claim to being a good singer.

(and since it likely matters what system I'm using, it's a P4 (I think) running Win98 (yes, I know, XP is in my list of upgrades), not that much RAM, and a low-end soundcard)

Thanks for any advice.

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

recording

Post by newfield » 07 Oct 2005, 22:42

OK! here we go!

What would you recommend for studio monitors? This is the one thing I really have no clue about. I'm debating getting a set of NS-10s (go, shrill box!) off of eBay, but would I be better off getting something else?

-I use only Yam NS1O,if you go for it check for a big power amp.They need watts!
or maybe try the last K-rok series, very good and amplified.

What mixer would you recommend? I'm looking at a Behringer Eurorack, but I'm not sure which model to get. Right now, I'm using a Yamaha keyboard with some onboard sounds I like, a MicroQ, and I plan to use all 3 available outputs once I get a mixer, a mic (not sure about a second one just yet), and softsynths on the compy, making at least six channels needed so far, and, of course, I want to be able to expand easily (once I get the basics, I want to get more synth modules, and probably a good harmonizer/pitch corrector, and possibly hook up a second compy with V-Stack). There's also the MX9000, but I'm not sure if it's "too much" mixer, although I like the onboard frequency analysis.

-The last series of Mackie mixers have a lot of dynamic range.You can get the 12 ch,it's smart and the eq is pretty good.

What *is* something good for realtime frequency analysis? I haven't really done much with EQ yet, because I'm not sure where on the spectrum the sounds are, and I'm worried I'd just be muddling them even more.

-Eq first rule: the less=the best.Each time you eq sthing you add phase distortion to the sound.Just keep it as simple as possible.
Better work on the source,get the right sounds.Focus on the balance.You'll add brightness or basses to the final mix and then compress it.
Compression is the key of recording art.
Use eq to remove the frequencies you feel bad for the sound and compress it, helps you set a good balance specialy for eurobeat where lot of synths are running together.

Mixing is like a pyramid building.
Each instrument is a stone over another one.
My method is removing freq. from instruments , much better then adding coz it helps you find the right place for each part.I mean,remove low freq from a mid-high sinth part will help the bass line and make the sound brighter without adding high freq.
Example:on a hi-strings part remove low and low-mid coz you need only the high.Do it for each instrument.
Try to guess the freq. range of the instrument,don't make 2 sinths play on the same freq.Change octave,mute a sequence when one is playing,add air to the mix..music is also space between notes!

Listen to classical music,each instrument has a freq. range..the bass play without disturbing the cellos and a violin will never fight against horns or a percussion.

What would you recommend for pitch correction? As you can probably tell from a couple of the songs I posted, I do NOT claim to being a good singer.

-fire your singer..ha ha!!
use a pitch plug on the computer,don't need expensive outboard gear,spend your money on a good software.

(and since it likely matters what system I'm using, it's a P4 (I think) running Win98 (yes, I know, XP is in my list of upgrades), not that much RAM, and a low-end soundcard)

-to be honest,with a low budget I should go for a computer based system.No outboard needed.Get a Logic 7,everything is there.Drums,basses,analog-like synths,digital synths,processing fx.Add a good audio interface,that's all.
I did the song "Victim" at home on my G5 Mac full of virtual stuff,only the vocals were recorded in Clara small home studio with Neuman mic,Avalon pre-amp ,Mac G4 and a small Yam 03 for monitoring.And I mixed from the Mac stereo output!!

thought of the night:getting a ferrari never make you schumacher

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Post by Sadie » 07 Oct 2005, 23:11

Wow Mr. Newfield! I think I learned more about mixing and recording Eurobeat then I ever needed to! A lot of good information there! =D

So, you worked on Victim at your home, then Clara Moroni recorded it at hers? Cool; I never would have seen that coming!

Thanks for all of that!
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Re: recording

Post by Mikaeru » 08 Oct 2005, 00:34

newfield wrote:
-Eq first rule: the less=the best.Each time you eq sthing you add phase distortion to the sound.Just keep it as simple as possible.
Better work on the source,get the right sounds.Focus on the balance.You'll add brightness or basses to the final mix and then compress it.
Compression is the key of recording art.
Use eq to remove the frequencies you feel bad for the sound and compress it, helps you set a good balance specialy for eurobeat where lot of synths are running together.

Mixing is like a pyramid building.
Each instrument is a stone over another one.
My method is removing freq. from instruments , much better then adding coz it helps you find the right place for each part.I mean,remove low freq from a mid-high sinth part will help the bass line and make the sound brighter without adding high freq.
Example:on a hi-strings part remove low and low-mid coz you need only the high.Do it for each instrument.
Try to guess the freq. range of the instrument,don't make 2 sinths play on the same freq.Change octave,mute a sequence when one is playing,add air to the mix..music is also space between notes!

Listen to classical music,each instrument has a freq. range..the bass play without disturbing the cellos and a violin will never fight against horns or a percussion.
That's what I mean. I know I'm supposed to be taking away unwanted ranges, I just have a hard time getting them right. Or maybe I'm thinking about it too much... -_-;;; It's probably part just working on a better arrangement, too.

newfield wrote: -fire your singer..ha ha!!
use a pitch plug on the computer,don't need expensive outboard gear,spend your money on a good software.
I'd *like* to fire myself, but I can't find any other *good* male singers who will sing for what I can pay right now (which is nothing). So I'm making do with singing lessons for now.

I *have* a pitch plug, but it seems to mess up the voice even more. Doesn't seem to let me tell it what key I'm singing, so it'll occasionally put it on an off note, which, although being a sign of my singing, means that it's putting me even MORE offkey.
newfield wrote:
-to be honest,with a low budget I should go for a computer based system.No outboard needed.Get a Logic 7,everything is there.Drums,basses,analog-like synths,digital synths,processing fx.Add a good audio interface,that's all.
I did the song "Victim" at home on my G5 Mac full of virtual stuff,only the vocals were recorded in Clara small home studio with Neuman mic,Avalon pre-amp ,Mac G4 and a small Yam 03 for monitoring.And I mixed from the Mac stereo output!!
Except I can't run Logic 7 on a pc, since it's Mac only. Probably with a good audio interface, most of the need for a mixer is gone, but I still have a fair number of inputs needed, and I like the sound of a couple modules.

Just getting a Mac with Logic has been one of the options I've been thinking about, but I like Win. There's always Cubase, though... And either way results in me needed a new compy. But I still need to make do for now. Ah well.
newfield wrote:thought of the night:getting a ferrari never make you schumacher
True dat.

Thanks for all the advice, though. It's all one big (and expensive ;_;) learning process.

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 08 Oct 2005, 04:50

This is a really interesting discussion, and all advices that Laurent
has given here are really right on.
Mikaeru,it's really great that you enjoy european dance music
and eurobeat, perhaps the enjoyment is really the important thing.
Sometimes when something becomes work it just kills the fun of play.
Your singing being not like on records is really not a problem
unless you are unticipating joining the line up of singers for Avex real soon. Listeners can still enjoy your music even if it's not sounding
like records,you know. There are a lot of producers who made real
records in a style similar to eurobeat and who today have no opportunities
to release this music. There is really no commercial market for it outside of a few lucky ones in Italy,which means basically that there is really no pressure for fan made stuff either way,and one can just have fun and do whatever meets one's fancy.

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 08 Oct 2005, 05:52

*pretty much all in response to Vadim, but I didn't wanna quote the whole thing since it's just one post above*

Heh... heh...

The thing is... I actually *do* want to start doing this professionally, I just know I'm not *quite* at that level yet. Sent a few demos SCP's way, they think the same thing. Evelina apparently likes a few of my melodies. ^_^ But I still need to work on the overall presentation a bit more. It's rough, missing that final spark to it.

And with the internet and technology the way it is today, who's to say eurobeat will stay in Italy? I mean, (correct me if I'm wrong) but Delta has three studios. You can tell the difference between Newfield/Gelmetti songs and Sinclaire/Leonardi songs. But they still work together, and communicate. Use Newfield's example of Clara singing in a separate setting for Victim.

Gonna be bloody difficult, but hopefully I can find a way to succeed. ^_^;

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 08 Oct 2005, 07:26

The thing is... I actually *do* want to start doing this professionally, I just know I'm not *quite* at that level yet.
Perhaps you will want to develop your own unique style altogether.
Sent a few demos SCP's way, they think the same thing. Evelina apparently likes a few of my melodies. ^_^ But I still need to work on the overall presentation a bit more. It's rough, missing that final spark to it.
I don't think they really require those huge quality demos to present a
song,considering they do their own production for all tunes anyway.
Evelina writes really nice lyrics, maybe you could colloborate.. :)
And with the internet and technology the way it is today, who's to say eurobeat will stay in Italy?

Italy has preserved this sound for 11 years after it was abondoned everywhere else. Situation in other countries may change,but it will be a lot more difficult to do in 2005 than it was in early 90-s.
People are very much disconnected from this sound generationally
as a result of a complete absense of new releases in this genre on
the market of Europe in last 11 years.
I mean, (correct me if I'm wrong) but Delta has three studios. You can tell the difference between Newfield/Gelmetti songs and Sinclaire/Leonardi songs. But they still work together, and communicate. Use Newfield's example of Clara singing in a separate setting for Victim.
I agree,it is really brilliant how Delta manages their long distance
productions. But it is a different case altogether when you try to
get an audience in another nation interested. Perhaps you'l need those
Diter Bohlen like falsetto voices which are not used in italian Eurobeat.
Gonna be bloody difficult, but hopefully I can find a way to succeed. ^_^;
[/quote]

I'd love to stay in on your progress. :wink:

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

recording

Post by newfield » 08 Oct 2005, 09:18

Mikaeru,you can plug your synths in a good interface ,a Motu for example,lot of inputs and you can eq with the software plugs.
When I did the song "Don't say goodbye" my digital mixer crashed.
I plugged the keyboards into the Digi 002 interface and used an analog 12 ch Mackie for monitor and external stuff.But basicly everything is virtual.

I do music for myself and if the song is good for Avex,good!
If not,ok I just express myself and feel happy and coherent.

Listening to a demo I focus on the melody,not the arrange.
Spend time on making a good basic track with drums -bass -pad and play melody on piano if you're not good singer.Keep it simple!

I'm thinking about releasing a CD with eurobeat sounds,drum loops etc...and maybe with tutorial,tricks,templates and examples:
"Hey guys,this is the D.R. kick drum!Listen to the Nikophrase sound!
Get a Nord Lead and you get all the Sinclaire sound!"Do a braintransfer to get the Newfield sound!!

But I think I will be shoot by someone!!!

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Post by Vadim » 08 Oct 2005, 16:01

But basicly everything is virtual.
I was wondering when you actually switched to digital mixing.
I do music for myself and if the song is good for Avex,good!
If not,ok I just express myself and feel happy and coherent.
I think there is a stage when professionalism can become an art in itself,
then creativity and enjoyment can be a big part of the process.
It is like Leonardo Da Vinci and Leonardi could still have fun when they
created their masterpieces.
I'm thinking about releasing a CD with eurobeat sounds,drum loops ..But I think I will be shoot by someone!!!
A mob with torches and pitchforks outside of your house,like in a Frankenstein movie,for the next evening looks highly probable.

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

EUROBEAT SOUNDS CD

Post by newfield » 08 Oct 2005, 19:26

>A mob with torches and pitchforks outside of your house,like in a Frankenstein movie,for the next evening looks highly probable.

Do you think so? could be funny!! food for my dogs..

So let's start with CD 1:the early days,italodisco sounds and tricks.
Then CD 2:The 90's,all the Time Rec. original sounds,midifiles included.
CD 3:The Delta era,digital music producing.How to get the best from your Roland JD 800 and Clavia NordLead.Free patches and midifiles too!

I'll be very busy for the next year.
[/quote]

Vadim
Eurobeat Scholar

Re: EUROBEAT SOUNDS CD

Post by Vadim » 08 Oct 2005, 22:13

Do you think so? could be funny!! food for my dogs..
If your pooches are really good at getting inside of ferraries for a
quick snack, this could bring you a speedy victory over copyright army.
Free patches!
This would've made my day for sure!

Sadie
Mega NRG Girl

Re: EUROBEAT SOUNDS CD

Post by Sadie » 09 Oct 2005, 05:48

newfield wrote:Do you think so? could be funny!! food for my dogs...
I must ask, what type of dogs do you have? (their breeds). Dogs are great animals!
Energy :: Mega NRG Man Fansite

newfield
Bazooka Bellydancer

dogs

Post by newfield » 09 Oct 2005, 08:37

pure labrador,a black one and blonde one.A dog never betray...

any ideas for my next CD sound library?