Super Eurobeat 195

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 27 Mar 2009, 04:06

Slowpoke reporting in! I just got my SEB 195 along with my tax refund, so I'm stoked!

Let's check this puppy out, using the USA grading scale. (For those who aren't familiar, an "A" is 100-90% and is Fantastic, a "B" is 89-80% and is very good, a "C" is 79-70% (this is the lowest "passing" grade in most cases) and is just passable, a "D" is 69-60% and isn't very good, and "F" is 59-0% and may very well have done better off to not be there. "+" or "-" reflects being in the high or low part of that percent range.)

(There are no F's in this album.)

BURNING LIKE FIRE
(By Dave Rodgers ft. Alex De Rosso)

And then, in a flash of gold and white, Dave Rodgers did ascend, and the thunderous rock of several guitars did crash down upon the world, and there was much rejoicing. The people did enjoy the little "stops" and instrumental changeups, and the "traditional" ABeatC synth riff sound, and all was well in the Eurobeat world.
Also, Dave's voice is BACK.
GRADE: A+ (100%)

ULTRA MI-HA DELUXE
(By Project 2, or Leo River & Mari-San)

I can't stand Mari-San's voice, but when it's paired with Leo's, it's all bearable. GGM has really settled their style, and focuses now on the power of the song itself. Not as good as Burning Like Fire, but I really liked it.
GRADE: B+ (88%)

KING OF THE WORLD
(By Dave Dima)

Dima mixes the soundworlds of current Dima productions with some of the composition and writing style of early-mid Vibration songs. I wouldn't mind if Dima were the king of the world, if for this song. Bonus points for reminding me of Hot Limit, though this song isn't THAT different from previous Dima entries, excepting Fever of Love.
GRADE: A (95%)

STOP CITY LOVER
(By Derreck Simons)

GGM couldn't leave well-enough alone. And good thing they didn't, Stop City Lover is FANTASTIC. Even for a "same" soundworld, Tomas shines in high quality, one that harkens back to the hit that was "Back to 80's" and then deals some MORE damage. Welcome back, Tomas.

HURRICANE MAN
(By Gold-Rake)

Back in my SAIFAM-disliking days, I really listened around, trying to find a song that blew my mind. I was listening to the intro of "Like A Speedy Car", thinking, 'oh boy, I'll need some convincing on THIS one', then the synth riff hit.
I spent the next few minutes cleaning my mind off the ceiling and walls, it was that blown.
Now, glad to have my mind back together, I started track 5, "Hurricane Man", and thought it'd be 'just okay'.
Booming with testosterone and energy that was just plain absent in Time entries not long ago, I was thoroughly impressed with the song from start to finish.
Damn you Eurogrooves, I just cleaned this mess up.
GRADE: A+ (100%)

SAVE ANOTHER DAY FOR ME
(By De Leo)

While it certainly didn't impress me as much as Hurricane Man (where is Avex getting all these Time entries, now that Eurogrooves is in business?), it was a... welcome entry. It was sufficiently energetic and enthusiastic.
GRADE: B (85%)

DON'T BELONG
(By Mari-San)

Can't stand her voice. I really did listen to the whole track, to see if my mind would change.
Nope. Nice try, but better luck next time.
GRADE: D+ (68%)

ROCK YOU
(By Mad Max)

Already have, already like.
GRADE: B+ (89%)

MONSTERS READY
(By Fastway)

Did Avex mismark their calendar? Or do they have some sort of spooky holiday around this time of year in Japan? Great Fastway fare regardless, though the song could've been about anything else and we'd still like it, methinks. A bit "generic" for Fastway, but that's not a bad thing, mind you. Catchy, masculine, and fun. Yes.
GRADE: A- (92%)

I WILL SURVIVE
(By Megan)

Many of you are expecting my usual "SINCLAIRE NEEDZ THIS AND THIS AND THAT AND GET RID OF THIS" schpiel, right?
Forget it. This song is the kind of Gold our friend Sinclaire has needed. It forgoes the usual ho-hum tricks and really delivers a solid product. A synth riff sound that has some real substance and hearkens back to the Delta days, solid well-done vocals, and some really great bass, this track delivers in ways that only a few before it from the Sinclaire camp have since the 160s. My hat goes off to Bratt Sinclaire for such an improvement.

SHINE
(By Mad Max)

I'm Tsundere for SAIFAM. They keep making songs that have these facets that I really, really dislike in Eurobeat, and in ways that I dislike them. And I'll dislike the song.
...and it'll be stuck in my head. And I'll love it the next day.
Shine is just such a song. I HATE WHEN VOCALS ARE SUNG OVER THE SYNTH RIFF. HATE IT. I HATE OVERLY SIMPLE SYNTH RIFFS. And this song has BOTH OF THEM.
I LOVE THIS SONG. God knows why, and I wish he'd tell me because I sure as heck don't know. SAIFAM is just too fun for me to be mad at it for too long. It's like a puppy that knocks over things but has these huge, cute li'l eyes. Dammit, Farina, I'll make up my mind about you soon.
GRADE: B+ (87%)

KOOKY SPOOKY
(By Scream Team... Irene, right?)

What'chu talkin' about, haters? People criticize this song for being too "lovey-dovey" or too silly... but that's just it! It's supposed to be a very "Scooby-Doo"-esque type of humor, and for all intents and purposes I imagine the singer of Scream Team as a sort of ghost-character singing the "lovey" parts, it makes the lyrics easier to 'digest'. Fun synth riff, enjoyable sound world and sense of humor make this a great entry for my money.
GRADE: A- (93%)

WILD BOY BAD LOVE
(By Garc— err, Joe Banana)

(I need to stop listening to "Shine" so I can re-listen to this and remember my thoughts on this one... darnit SAIFAM!)
Yes, HRG does sound very much the same in their intros and the like. Is that such a bad thing? I say nay. The song as a whole reminds me of On The Road Again To The Show, barring the synth riff. I do miss when the HRG synth riffs had hooks, but... demands are demands, I guess. Ah well, I'm sure their unreleased material will house more power. For now, an above-average HRG song.
GRADE: B- (82%)

MEGAMIX
Not my cup of tea. NO GRADE

What a great album! I truly enjoyed almost all of it, which is quite a statement. Every label shone somehow, and even if their song wasn't great at least it was above-par (excepting Don't Belong, for my money). I'm too lazy to fiddle through the list to find the highest and lowest, so I'll just pick my 3 favorites:

BURNING LIKE FIRE
HURRICANE MAN
I WILL SURVIVE

3 Least Favorites (Hard mode; I'll have to include the ones that were still good...)
DON'T BELONG
WILD BOY BAD LOVE (Sorry HRG... it wasn't a bad song!)
SAVE ANOTHER DAY FOR ME

Honorable Mention:
SHINE (Damn it SAIFAM!!)
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 27 Mar 2009, 10:41

zoupzuop
3 Least Favorites (Hard mode; I'll have to include the ones that were still good...)
DON'T BELONG
WILD BOY BAD LOVE (Sorry HRG... it wasn't a bad song!)
SAVE ANOTHER DAY FOR ME
oh does that mean you are gonna change your avatar. Just kidding :P

I agreed on most of your review, but we do share the same love for disliking Mari-San's vocals. Not for Eurobeat. Dance clubs for sure, but not Eurobeat.

zoupzuop2
Euroheater

Post by zoupzuop2 » 27 Mar 2009, 18:01

drnrg wrote: I agreed on most of your review, but we do share the same love for disliking Mari-San's vocals. Not for Eurobeat. Dance clubs for sure, but not Eurobeat.
Yeah... and even then, I'd be wary. She's not a bad SINGER (she hits the notes she intends to hit), but she just goes all nasally, even moreso than Garcon(!!!). I know it's just her style, but... me no likey.
It's just not pleasant. Not at all, not for me.
A lot's changed in the decade and a half I've been here.
Full-time eurobeat producer, full-time musician, part-time Vtuber. #JessaIsReal2021
Join me on an Odyssey.

trainerkelly
Eurobeat Fan

Post by trainerkelly » 27 Mar 2009, 18:03

zoupzuop2 wrote:
drnrg wrote: I agreed on most of your review, but we do share the same love for disliking Mari-San's vocals. Not for Eurobeat. Dance clubs for sure, but not Eurobeat.
Yeah... and even then, I'd be wary. She's not a bad SINGER (she hits the notes she intends to hit), but she just goes all nasally, even moreso than Garcon(!!!). I know it's just her style, but... me no likey.
And I agree with the both of you. XP I think she has strong vocals, but it sounds out of place for Eurobeat. She's definitely more fitting to a trance track, rather than a Eurobeat track.
|dA|YT|TWTTR|TMBLR|

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 27 Mar 2009, 18:37

trainerkelly wrote:
zoupzuop2 wrote:
And I agree with the both of you. XP I think she has strong vocals, but it sounds out of place for Eurobeat. She's definitely more fitting to a trance track, rather than a Eurobeat track.
You know my p-o-v right?
I disagree highly with you. She's my new diva vocal wise and her voice just fits SO much with the songs she made yet. I still listen to "Don't Belong" heavily.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 28 Mar 2009, 06:11

Lebon14
You know my p-o-v right?
I disagree highly with you. She's my new diva vocal wise and her voice just fits SO much with the songs she made yet. I still listen to "Don't Belong" heavily.
Both you & Bore are her biggest fans eh :wink:

Speaking of Bore, Will he ever do another SEB review ever? If not, how about combing some of our reviews to post. Kinda like an E.P. members' collaboration. Just a thought :grin:

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 28 Mar 2009, 06:38

I really enjoy Mari-san, too. I kinda like the whole diva-style singing. Wouldn't really work in a typical eurobeat song, but in something like Don't Belong, and Secret Destination, it's really effective.

Bore
Founder

Post by Bore » 28 Mar 2009, 06:45

The review should be done, quite frankly it just has come down to my own lack of time lately.

SuperEuroJimmy
Mudkip Fan

Post by SuperEuroJimmy » 28 Mar 2009, 21:02

Mikaeru wrote:I really enjoy Mari-san, too. I kinda like the whole diva-style singing. Wouldn't really work in a typical eurobeat song, but in something like Don't Belong, and Secret Destination, it's really effective.
That!

Mikaeru
Master of Time

Post by Mikaeru » 28 Mar 2009, 23:55

One could say... super-effective, even. :grin:

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 29 Mar 2009, 03:32

Mikaeru wrote:One could say... super-effective, even. :grin:
Random Trainer wants to fight!
Random Trainer sends out drnrg!
Mari-san Go!
Ennemy drnrg used "Review"
but it's not very effective.
Mari-san used "Diva Voice"
It's Super Effective
Ennemy drnrg fainted
MariSanFan defeated Random Trainer
"Oh well... I never thought Mari-san had such effective voice!"
*returns to world map*

:D :P
Thanks for the idea Mikaeru XD
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!

drnrg
Eurobeat Guru

Post by drnrg » 31 Mar 2009, 09:00

Lebon14
Mari-san Go!
It's Super Effective
Ennemy drnrg fainted
*returns to world map*
The problem is I don't get it. A "review" against a "voice". :???: besides I can't faint cuz I'm the Doc. When did you ever hear of a Dr. Fainting :P

Lebon14
Eurobeat Guru

Post by Lebon14 » 31 Mar 2009, 11:32

drnrg wrote:Lebon14
Mari-san Go!
It's Super Effective
Ennemy drnrg fainted
*returns to world map*
The problem is I don't get it. A "review" against a "voice". :???: besides I can't faint cuz I'm the Doc. When did you ever hear of a Dr. Fainting :P
If you had played Pokemon you would know.
椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!