What's your definition of the term Eurobeat?

Everything that is eurobeat can be discussed here.
Pol NRG
Eurobeat Boom

What's your definition of the term Eurobeat?

Post by Pol NRG » 05 Sep 2005, 13:59

Hello everybody,

I'm curious to know what's your explanation of the term Eurobeat. If you would have to write a dictionary, what would be the correct definition?
:roll:

Thanks in advance,
Pol
"Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best."

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 05 Sep 2005, 17:13

The music genre Eurobeat is closely related to Disco and Hi-NRG. It is also closely related to the Japanese Para Para dance culture.

Eurobeat is, as the name implies, an European music genre. Stemming from Italo Disco, it is generally held to have originated in Italy in the late '70s and early '80s. Despite being European in origin, its main market has always been Japan, where its synthetic and emotionally upbeat stylings are popular. Even though many Europeans and Americans have heard Eurodance, Eurobeat is still a largely unknown genre in Europe where other types of music are dominant.

In its early days, the general tempo for Eurobeat songs was paced at 120BPM. Beginning in the 1990s, a mix of Eurobeat and Happy Hardcore called "Super Eurobeat" became the mainstay of Para Para dance nightclub events in Tokyo and around Japan. Tempo increased to 150BPM or sometimes even higher (so-called "Hyper Techno" in Para Para culture) In around 2002 this was mixed with '90s-style trance music and re-named "Cyber Trance".

Although highly popular in Japan, Eurobeat has become more and more popular in the Western world in the past few years. The anime Initial D by Shuichi Shigeno uses Eurobeat music regularly in its episodes during racing scenes between the characters, and because of this it has come to the attention of many outside Japan, from the very young to people of older ages.

This was taken from wikipedia. I think it's a very good summary.

Eurobeat has too many complicated origins to really summarize it in a single sentence, really.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Pol NRG
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Pol NRG » 05 Sep 2005, 17:39

Hi Cosmic_Bard,

Thanks to share this explanation, I would like to know if the term "EUROBEAT" comes from the Super Eurobeat compilations or have another origin...

All the best!
Pol :wink:
"Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best."

Victor
Euro To B

Post by Victor » 05 Sep 2005, 19:15

Hey Pol,

The That's Eurobeat series was going long before Super Eurobeat.

As was the Eurobeat Fantasy and Eurobeat Fantastic series.

I think That's Eurobeat 1 is about 1986.

The first Super Eurobeat was about 1989. So Super Eurobeat is definitely
not the source of the word.

But I might get corrected.

Watch below!!!

Or you could ask Oresama-chan or Andy Maclennan. They seems to be an experts.

Pol NRG
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Pol NRG » 05 Sep 2005, 19:58

Hi Victor!

Thanks for this valuable information! :o that's means that the Eurobeat term was present in the Italodisco era! but if we are talking about the relation of the term with the BPMs, it must be enclosed early in the 90's....

wow! it drives me crazy! :D

Thanks!
Pol :wink:

Rave Dodgers
Euro To B

Post by Rave Dodgers » 06 Sep 2005, 20:51

I don't believe the wikipedia definition.

Super Eurobeat is a brand name, not a type of music.

Cosmic_Bard
Eurobeat Master

Post by Cosmic_Bard » 06 Sep 2005, 20:53

Then, I guess you need to have it changed, don't you?

That's why wiki's so great, it's always evolving.
Be the sound you feel inside your voice!

Save Your Voice to Sing a Song - Brian Ice

Pol NRG
Eurobeat Boom

Post by Pol NRG » 15 Sep 2005, 18:59

Personally I think the correct term must have been...

ITALOBEAT
:roll: